Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

JT injured in training ,

Jared his right ankle, hobbled off , hope he is ok for Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

JT injured in training ,

Jared his right ankle, hobbled off , hope he is ok for Thursday

Could be related to the awkward fall he had late on against Wigan. With Luiz back in contention for Thursday it has given us more cover. Hope JT makes it though, also we really need Ramires to start in place of Lamps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

No there is open training session on , he pinched his Achilles blocking a shot but will be ok ,

The look of disgust on the SSN reporter , "We thought it was a serious injury, but it isnt " cue the glum face !

Is bale not going to make the match on Thursday ? I see on my Fantasy football he only has a 50% chance due to an ankle sprain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Think Bale and Lennon are doubts.

No there is open training session on , he pinched his Achilles blocking a shot but will be ok ,

The look of disgust on the SSN reporter , "We thought it was a serious injury, but it isnt " cue the glum face !

Is bale not going to make the match on Thursday ? I see on my Fantasy football he only has a 50% chance due to an ankle sprain.

Hopefully JT is able for Thursday, he'd be a huge loss at this stage.
    Johner wrote: »
    Think Bale and Lennon are doubts.

I hope they are, that would be a huge part of Spurs play negated if they both miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Loving the Football Manager type transfers we are being linked with at the mo

Top 7

1/ Neymar 45 million
    2/ Gotze 35 Million
    3/ Hazard 35 Million
    4/ Cavani 40 million
    5/ Pastore 35 million
    6/ Moutinho cut price 20 million as Porto are broke!
    7/ Cahill - 6 million

We've as much chance of any of them except Cahill as we have winning the league! Especially if Roman loses his court case and has to share his Billions!

Top 7

1/ Neymar 45 million
    2/ Gotze 35 Million
    3/ Hazard 35 Million
    4/ Cavani 40 million
    5/ Pastore 35 million
    6/ Moutinho cut price 20 million as Porto are broke!
    7/ Cahill - 6 million

We've as much chance of any of them except Cahill as we have winning the league! Especially if Roman loses his court case and has to share his Billions!

Not much chance of him loosing , Also I think Cahiill will go for a lot more money than 6 mil,

The rest is pretty much fantasy football, If we got one or two from that list I would be more than pleased

Top 7

1/ Neymar 45 million - Not a chance, to expensive, just signed a new contract and will end up in Spain I reckon.

2/ Gotze 35 Million - Dont think he'll be leaving Dortmund anytime soon, that price tag is crazy.

3/ Hazard 35 Million - Again, silly season for figures, well worth a punt theres no value for that price I think.

4/ Cavani 40 million - Another inflated transfer, but it would be like Roman to buy a player like Cavani to screw Napoli any chance of beating us in the UCL, cheaper price and he'd be worth it.

5/ Pastore 35 million - We had a chance to get him and he choose to go and follow his wallet, dont see it happening again for the lad, not for a few years anyway.

6/ Moutinho cut price 20 million as Porto are broke! - We have Meireles so getting in Moutinho seems like a waste.

7/ Cahill - 6 million - Only player we'll get from that list but will solve a few roblems.

Agreed on all of the above Sgt. Pepper.

I dont think there'll be too much movement from us in this transfer window.

RESERVE REPORT: ARSENAL 0 CHELSEA 4
    Posted on: Mon 19 Dec 2011
    Summary
    Chelsea's reserves completed a stunning away victory at Arsenal on Monday afternoon, led by two-goal captain Nathaniel Chalobah.
    The versatile youngster, playing in deep midfield, netted a clever back-heel to open the scoring seven minutes before half-time, adding a third from a sumptuous free-kick after Romelu Lukaku had clipped home a second goal five minutes into the second period.
    Lucas Piazon completed the goalscoring shortly before full-time with a cute solo effort, twisting and turning inside the area before firing home. The win takes us above the Gunners in the Premier Reserve League South table.
    Team news
    Coach Dermot Drummy was able to include Lukaku in his starting line-up with the forward not involved in first-team duties at the weekend, looking for a fifth successive unbeaten game with the second string.
    Lukaku, with three goals in as many reserve games going into this one, was flanked once again by Milan Lalkovic on the right and Piazon on the left.
    Two weeks ago Aston Villa were beaten at Cobham but there was no captain Sam Hutchinson this time, his place taken by the fit again Rohan Ince who is close to full fitness and Chalobah took the armband.
    Jacob Mellis was back in central midfield in place of Billy Clifford, who was injured against Villa.
    First Half
    Chelsea started well and should have been in front early when Lukaku's hard work created a space for Chalobah inside the area, but the 17-year-old side-footed his effort wide of the post.
    Arsenal's best chance early on fell to forward Rhys Murphy who curled over Rhys Taylor's crossbar as both sides struggled to fashion too much on a dreary afternoon in Hertfordshire.
    Kaby and Arsenal midfielder Craig Eastmond were involved in a confrontation, an exchange followed by a booking for the Chelsea man after a heavy challenge on Nicholas Yennaris.
    Taylor had to save from Murphy on the half-hour with the Irish forward through one-on-one, the goalkeeper quick off his line before saving with his legs.
    It seemed a goal would come as a result of an error rather than a moment of magic, and it almost came when Ince surrendered possession with a clumsy square pass, straight to Murphy, but the forward's low curler was well held by Taylor in the Chelsea goal.
    Then came that moment of magic. A Chelsea corner was never properly dealt with by the Arsenal defence, and after goalkeeper Damian Martinez punched into the ground, Chalobah found space to bring the ball down and back-heel it into the bottom corner from eight yards.
    On the balance of play it was hard to argue either side deserved the advantage, but now we had it Chelsea would have to work hard to maintain it.
    Second Half
    Arsenal came out strong in the second period but it was just another five minutes before Lukaku doubled the visitors' lead, sweeping home from close range after Lalkovic had burst into the right-hand side of the box and squared for the Belgian.
    It was the perfect way to settle any Chelsea nerves against our north London rivas, who should have come back into the game when Murphy sprung an offside trap, expecting to be flagged, and nonchalantly curled the ball around Taylor, the ball bouncing back into play off the post.
    At the other end Lalkovic used his pace to find room to cross, and he almost supplied Lukaku with a second, crossing into the corridor between defence and goalkeeper, but just beyond the stretch of his 6ft 4ins forward.
    Both Taylor and Martinez made further saves before Piazon put substitute Islam Feruz through on goal, but the youngster was bundled to the ground by an Arsenal defender, making an opening for Chalobah from the resultant free-kick.
    Right on the edge of the area, the midfielder executed the shot perfectly, making it bend and dip in equal measure to drop into the top corner of the Arsenal net, putting his side three goals to the good.
    A weaving Lukaku runthat took him past three defenders and the goalkeeper almost brought a fourth but the angle was just too tight for the striker, and then he headed straight at Martinex after Lalkovic had chipped into the area from the right.
    A tough-looking test had turned into a one-sided encounter, and Drummy will be thrilled with his side's performance, particularly Chalobah who was replaced by Nathan Ake 10 minutes from time.
    The scoring still wasn't done though, and Piazno would make it four with three minutes to go, twisting and turning inside the area with defenders flying all around him, poking the ball beyond the keeper to put the gloss on a very impressive display.
    Arsenal: Martinez, Hajrovic (sub Ebecilio 61), Boateng, Monteiro, Angha, Eastmond, Ozyakup, Yennaris, Meade, Ansah (sub Rees 61), Murphy.
    Unused subs Shea, Brislen-Hall, Wynter.

Chelsea (4-3-3) Rhys Taylor; Todd Kane, Rohan Ince (sub Carl Magnay 76), George Saville, Ben Gordon; Jacob Mellis (sub Islam Feruz 53), Nathaniel Chalobah (c) (sub Nathan Ake 80), Aliu 'Kaby' Djalo; Milan Lalkovic, Romelu Lukaku, Lucas Piazon.
    Unused subs Jamal Blackman, Adam Nditi, Philipp Prosenik.
    Goals Chalobah 38, 73, Lukaku 49, Piazon 87

Chalobah, Lukaku and Piazon all getting great reviews at reserve team level. Hope they get some games in the FA cup.

Delighted for the lads.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    Chalobah, Lukaku and Piazon all getting great reviews at reserve team level. Hope they get some games in the FA cup.

Delighted for the lads.

Cant see any reason why they should not be pushing first teamers, Thats 4 in 4 Lukaku now , Piazon pace and trickery getting better by the game , and by all accounts Chalobah can do nothing wrong , only turned 17 last week ,

The future is bright the future is blue !

Should be giving Nando a run out with the resevers before he forgets what its like to playing on a football pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Cant see any reason why they should not be pushing first teamers, Thats 4 in 4 Lukaku now , Piazon pace and trickery getting better by the game , and by all accounts Chalobah can do nothing wrong , only turned 17 last week ,

Should be giving Nando a run out with the resevers before he forgets what its like to playing on a football pitch.

If i remember correctly, Piazon is only eligible to get picked for the senior team around the end of January, so maybe we'll at least see him get a couple of sub appearances after that? To be honest I haven't seen any reserves games recently, is he actually at the first team level?

Interestingly, we're been linked with Cahill but if AVB really wanted to try out something he could give Chalobah a chance, thats a CB covered, I think Chalobah will be in the first team next season, hes a real prospect, with Josh we have a CM covered when Lamps/Malouda are gone, we got Piazon to replace Kalou/Malouda out wide and if Lukaku can produce some performaces like he does at reserve level he could be a star for us.

I have to agree with ya, some of youngsters are looking very promising, not to mention Bertrand at LB.

there is a huge step up from reserves to EPL level though so hopefully they can make the grade if and when they get a chance.

Poor Torres should go on loan to Celtic/Rangers and score 20 goal, get his confidence back. :pac:

abelard wrote: »
    If i remember correctly, Piazon is only eligible to get picked for the senior team around the end of January, so maybe we'll at least see him get a couple of sub appearances after that? To be honest I haven't seen any reserves games recently, is he actually at the first team level?

Yep the 20/01/12 before he can officially play for the 1st team , the day of his 18th b-day

A short Clip of the goals from Today

Piazon's goal is special

Looks like we are seriously looking into moving to Battersea

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2011/12/19/2644623/chelsea-stadium-news-battersea-architect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Is piazon kaka's twin brother?:eek: He is the image of him.

I wonder will the announcement from the SPL on introduction of a pilot scheme for safe standing zones have any bearing on this ,

Speaking to one of the lads on the shed earlier our two stands (North and Shed end in the 60's) held 41,500 thats a little over 20,000 each end ,

The shed at the moment only holds a little under 7,000, a move back to terracing would have a massive impact for Chelsea, A move away from the ground could be shelved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Poor Torres should go on loan to Celtic/Rangers and score 20 goal, get his confidence back. :pac:
    Likelier to head more in the direction of palm trees than deep fried Mars bars! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Is piazon kaka's twin brother?:eek: He is the image of him.

He's like a bizarre offspring of kaka and Justin bieber

• Advertisement

Flipping heck, daily mail has us going in for 20 mill Jack rodwell - practically a done deal as well!

They also report something I wondered myself - will the mighty Essien ever play again and get his place back? :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2076329/Jack-Rodwell-Chelsea-20m-EXCLUSIVE.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Flipping heck, daily mail has us going in for 20 mill Jack rodwell - practically a done deal as well!

They also report something I wondered myself - will the mighty Essien ever play again and get his place back? :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2076329/Jack-Rodwell-Chelsea-20m-EXCLUSIVE.html

I can see Rodwell moving to centreback

The Mirror running the Rodwell story too

I'd take Rodwell anyway, good younger player and his wages would be relatively cheap compared to what we're already paying some players.

I reckon £15Million would be good business.

Telegraph running the story too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8967245/Chelsea-manager-Andre-Villas-Boas-to-test-Evertons-resolve-with-20-million-bid-for-midfielder-Jack-Rodwell.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Meanwhile in Oxford........

Remember this fella?

"Help me, John Obi Mikel. You’re my only hope."

Duberry.jpg

RichT wrote: »

Remember this fella?

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

Slightly disturbed by that pic ha.

RichT wrote: »

Remember this fella?

Duberry.jpg

Michael Duberry ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

Slightly disturbed by that pic ha.

I'm more than slightly disturbed that I can't stop staring at 'his' left nip. :eek:

Michael Michelle Duberry ,

Fixed that for ya. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Talk of Josh going out on loan as well - might not be a bad idea.

bullpost wrote: »
    Talk of Josh going out on loan as well - might not be a bad idea.

He'll have to go out on loan if he wants to progress, he runs the risk of not reaching his full potential, he still has a load of time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Bit like Kakuta then ;)
    He'll have to go out on loan if he wants to progress, he runs the risk of not reaching his full potential, he still has a load of time though.

bullpost wrote: »
    Bit like Kakuta then ;)

I dont think Kakuta has a future here but ya never know, he coudl do a Sturridge and come on leaps and bounds, seems unlikely though. :(

I dont think Kakuta has a future here but ya never know, he coudl do a Sturridge and come on leaps and bounds, seems unlikely though. :(

From what I have read, the guy has bags of talent and shows that in training and his attitude is good. Trouble is, he is not getting a run of games to prove that, so much the same as Danny experienced. He just needs someone to start him in a few games.

From what I have read, the guy has bags of talent and shows that in training and his attitude is good. Trouble is, he is not getting a run of games to prove that, so much the same as Danny experienced. He just needs someone to start him in a few games.

If Bolton we're playing like they had last year he would have got games but because they're in the mixer for relegation I dont think Coyle can risk playing him too much. I think hes back to us in January anyway. With Kalou off to ACON and Anelka gone too he should be kept and given a chance. He must be next in line after Sturridge and Mata. Lukaku isnt a wide man at all, not yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Think we better sign a center back in January......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Think we better sign a center back in January......

We needed one as it is, we now need 2, and you'll be dam sure the selling team will make us pay expensive for him :(

It will be very interesting to see just how much Roman backs AVB in January.

He has the chance of going all out and letting AVB sign a few fantasy players - Cavani, Goetze, Neymar etc

When Roman first came on board, he did try to do a "Real Madrid" and sign Galaticos, like Kaka etc, but they either wouldnt come, wrong location etc or they werent allowed to be signed

But then you see us being linked with Cahill and Rodwell!

It will be very interesting to see just how much Roman backs AVB in January.

He has the chance of going all out and letting AVB sign a few fantasy players - Cavani, Goetze, Neymar etc

When Roman first came on board, he did try to do a "Real Madrid" and sign Galaticos, like Kaka etc, but they either wouldnt come, wrong location etc or they werent allowed to be signed

But then you see us being linked with Cahill and Rodwell!

Rodwell would be a very good signing for Chelsea IMO

I can't see Neymar going to Chelsea after the stroke Barca have pulled

Chelsea tried to sign Kaka when Roman first took over?
    Kaka was a Galacticos when Roman took over?
    I think Kaka was still playing for Sao Paolo when Roman took over

Howard Nurse @howardnurse 1m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Gary Cahill to sign for Chelsea, according to The Sun and Daily Mirror for about £7m.

• Advertisement

Howard Nurse @howardnurse 1m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Gary Cahill to sign for Chelsea, according to The Sun and Daily Mirror for about £7m.

Would you be happy with that Pete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

After Suarez getting an 8 game ban what do you lads reckon will happen to Terry?

If he is found guilty i will fully support a ban. He should also be stripped of the England captaincy. I don't think you can have a man who is guilty of racial slurs as captain of an international team, its ludicrous.

From what i understand his defense is almost as lightweight as Suarez'.

amiable wrote: »
    Would you be happy with that Pete?

Being watching him with intrest since last season when we were first linked and think he would be a great buy for us .

After Suarez getting an 8 game ban what do you lads reckon will happen to Terry?

If he is found guilty i will fully support a ban. He should also be stripped of the England captaincy. I don't think you can have a man who is guilty of racial slurs as captain of an international team, its ludicrous.

From what i understand his defense is almost as lightweight as Suarez'.

The Terry case is strange one , why is it taking so long its really baffling.

Agree with what you say if he is found guilty,

As I posted in the Rasicm thread I think this is the state of play on the case at the moment

The FA have to await the outcome of the police investigation , if he is charged they will then have to wait for the court case ,

If he isnt charged by the CPS its more than likely the FA wont be able to charge him either.

Being watching him with intrest since last season when we were first linked and think he would be a great buy for us .

Small fee for a full English International too.

He'd probably improve with better players playing around him too

The Terry case is strange one , why is it taking so long its really baffling.

Agree with what you say if he is found guilty,

As I posted in the Rasicm thread I think this is the state of play on the case at the moment

The FA have to await the outcome of the police investigation , if he is charged they will then have to wait for the court case ,

If he isnt charged by the CPS its more than likely the FA wont be able to charge him either.
    I've heard there will be movement from the Police/CPS in the next week.

It's being suggested that he will have a case to answer in court.

That should see it drag out til after the Euros IMO and he could play in them and retire afterwards.

amiable wrote: »
    Small fee for a full English International too.

He'd probably improve with better players playing around him too

Ala Smalling and Jones,

There was talk of this new video evidence last week then that came to nothing,, but what you are saying about him getting the euros out of this might be on the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Talk of Villa wanting to take McEachran on loan. Would prefer him to go to a club that plays a bit more positive football. Swansea would be ideal, I'm also sure Rogers would be fairly familiar with him.

After the Suarez verdict I'd be worried if I was JT. Also, if he doesnt get a similar ban to Suarez there will be uproar.

From the Chelsea website : 20 YEARS OF THE PREMIER LEAGUE

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2553874,00.html

Brings back some memories this article. :)

The Premier League is in its 20th year this season, and Chelsea is one of just seven clubs to have been present for every one of them.
    The club, and football generally, has changed dramatically since Mick Harford scored against Oldham Athletic in a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge on August 14, 1992 and few clubs have benefited quite so much as ourselves.

A mid-table side in the early 1990s, we were expected to be battling relegation far more than we were challenging for top honours - it was 1971 when we had last won a trophy and since then the club had undergone several rebuilding processes due to relegation and financial hardship.

As well as major honours coming our way, Stamford Bridge has since been transformed from a dilapidated mishmash of tin, steel and concrete into an all-seated venue capable of hosting almost 42,000 people. That this number no longer satisfies demand is testimony to how far Chelsea has come since mass resignation from the Football League in February 1992.

Three months later the Premier League was formed, with satellite TV broadcasters Sky declaring 'a whole new ball game' to promote their multi-million pound deal. This, set against the backdrop of the Taylor Report and a growing appetite for the game after the national team's success at Italia '90, made for an exciting period of change.

'When the Premier League came along the professionalism really changed and clubs started following a more European model, improving diets and medical regimes, combined with more money coming into the game,' recalls Blues legend Graeme Le Saux.

'It was a combination of a few factors, the money encouraged more foreign players to want to come here but also allowed clubs the leverage to go and buy them and improve their facilities.

'I don't think anybody could have predicted it would expand to the global level that it has, even the Premier League organisation itself. It really does dominate club competitions across the world now.'

At the start of the 1992/93 season, Erland Johnsen was our sole overseas representative, one of just 11 across the division at that time. Dmitri Kharine and Jakob Kjeldberg would soon follow, with Chelsea one of the first to recognise the potential of signing top-class foreign talent.

After four years spent away from the club while he won the league with Blackburn, Le Saux barely recognised the Chelsea he re-joined in 1997.

'The quality of the players in the squad and the level they were playing at gave me a great opportunity to finish what I had started at Chelsea and I felt I had my best years in that second spell. I was the first current England international the club had bought since Reg Matthews in the 1950s, and a British record for a defender at the time,' he recalls.

'It was very cosmopolitan, and groups of us would spend time together socially in London which was going through a great phase at that time too. There was a fantastic atmosphere between the core of that team, and from a personal point of view I think it was the happiest time of my career. '

Johnsen was a Chelsea man throughout that development, joining from Bayern Munich in 1989 and not leaving until '97.

'Chelsea started changing when Glenn Hoddle came in 1993,' says the Norwegian. 'The club went from an amateur level to a professional level, talking about what we were eating, the way we trained, the facilities. Then Ruud Gullit took over and took it on, and the other managers too. It was interesting for me to go through this because there had been some difficult times for Chelsea before that.'

Those difficult times had included chairman Ken Bates, who had bought the club for just £1 and took on its debts in 1982, undergoing a lengthy battle to protect Stamford Bridge from property developers. That is a story recently brought back to the fore with the recent Chelsea Pitch Owners vote.

Like Le Saux, Nigel Spackman was a Chelsea player in two different spells and is able to remember the Bridge prior to its mid-90s renovation. The Shed terrace had its last outing in May 1994, and by 2001 the West Stand had been completed to give us the modern look we now know so well.
    'I was there during the two spells, in the '80s and coming back in the early '90s, almost 10 years on, and it shows how things were starting to move on for Chelsea, going from this oval-shape stadium with the vast areas behind the goals to the more compact stadium that we have today,' Spackman says.

'With the Matthew Harding and the new Shed End being brought in it was a more compact football stadium, as it is today and it was great to see that development.'

By that point things were picking up on the field too. An FA Cup in 1997 became the club's first silverware in a generation, and the fans were positively spoiled over the next couple of years with a League Cup and Uefa Cup Winners' Cup in 1998, and another FA Cup in 2000.

Success breeds success of course, and it also attracts more talent.
    Asked when Chelsea first came on to his radar, Florent Malouda highlights the capture of some of his compatriots during this period.

'I think that was when Bernard Lambourde signed for Chelsea!' he joked. 'There were other French players coming and signing for the Blues and that's when I followed Chelsea, with Frank Leboeuf, Marcel Desailly, Didier Deschamps, then George Weah, big players coming to play for Chelsea.
    'When they came and William Gallas and Makelele followed, I always felt that when I became a professional footballer that one day I could play for this club.'

Had Malouda joined anytime before late 2004, he would have been startled at the facilities he found for his first training session.
    The ex-players all argue the biggest difference to them from the Chelsea of old to the Chelsea of new are the facilities used from day to day for practice.

Malouda can count himself lucky he never experienced the conditions at Harlington, right beneath the Heathrow Airport flight path, where changing rooms had to be given over to university students on Wednesday afternoons.

'The facilities they have now compared to what we had at Harlington are chalk and cheese,' Spackman explains. 'The game's progressed in every area and for me as an ex-player I'd have much rather been going to Cobham to train and do my stuff than Harlington.

'I think sometimes it's not until players leave Chelsea and go on to other routes that they'll look back and respect what Chelsea have and there's a great work ethic at the training ground that relates on to the Stamford Bridge pitch.'

'Somebody at the club must have placed some value on the facilities at Harlington, and that was probably the biggest problem we had holding us back,' says Le Saux. 'The club failed to invest in those facilities at that time, I don't think the chairman could see a commercial gain in it.'

Drawn to the excitement of English football, and particularly a club at the heart of its fashionable capital, Roman Abramovich purchased the club in 2003 to give us the final ingredient to turn from Premier League contender into Premier League power - not just money to spend on players, but the ability to upgrade the environment in which they worked - and we switched to Cobham in 2004 on the way to sealing our first Championship victory in 50 years.

The players of the early Premier League days might not have that achievement, but as Le Saux says, 'Thankfully, Chelsea got there in the end.'

We have since repeated the feat twice, most recently in 2010 when we added another first, The Double, to our trophy cabinet.

The hope now is that we continue adding to it over the next 20 years at football's top table.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement