Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jcf wrote: »
    We need Mourinho back..

Just so long as he can bring his current team with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Raedwald wrote: »
    Is it just me or are others feeling that it is time to abandon this current 4 3 3 formation and go back to the old diamond or christmas tree look.

Being left far too exposed at the back and getting constantly outplayed in midfield. We should go back to our old style of grinding out results instead of playing this free flowing football that has ruined our season so far.

I know the squad has peaked and a number of the lads need to be shipped, but i feel we would be a lot more stable if the midfield was more secure and had an extra player in there.

What free flowing football?:confused:

We will struggle against wolves I think, draw at best:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

MUSEIST wrote: »
    What free flowing football?:confused:

Apologies, i meant god awful attempts at free flowing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

jcf wrote: »
    We need Mourinho back..

Doesnt matter who is the manager, the team needs refreshing

Morinho would certainly demand a large transfer pot to do so

From what i have seen, its the players more so than the manager that is at fault

Doesnt matter who is the manager, the team needs refreshing

Morinho would certainly demand a large transfer pot to do so

From what i have seen, its the players more so than the manager that is at fault

I agree with that, we would not be any better off with jose tbh, maybe just a little more secure at the back but no better than 4th in the league IMO. We are just not good enough.

pretty good review of where we are from the BBC!

A year ago this week Chelsea went to Molineux having picked up a paltry five points from four December games, and a tigerish, spirited Wolves beat them 1-0. It was the lowest point of Chelsea's campaign, and Carlo Ancelotti talked only of his team having a "bad moment". He had no cure. It cost him his job.
    A year on, Chelsea return, boasting just three points from their last four games. A team said to be "in transition" is becoming a team in decline. But Andre Villas-Boas will only find the cure if he is given time.

Over a period of 18 months there needs to be a wholesale clear-out of ageing players or squad members who have lost their way at a club that lives under the yoke of Roman Abramovich's ambitions. New signings will be made. The old guard (as many as 10 players) must gradually go.
    The owner must realise the need for evolution - not Russian revolution. But the current squad are finished in this season's title race, are struggling to hold down a top-four place and could be on the end of another Molineux mauling.

It's not fashionable to support John Terry at the moment. But after struggling with the ill-suited defensive high-line tactics favoured by Andre Villas-Boas, he's actually held things together of late. Juan Mata and Daniel Sturridge are virtually the only other players who've performed well.
    Top players don't become bad ones overnight but the danger signs are flashing for too many Chelsea squad members and Wolves will go for the throat if they sense any weakness. Three draws on the spin have steadied Mick McCarthy's side but they could do with a repeat of last January's famous win. It infused confidence throughout the club. It was the start of the road to safety.
    McCarthy has enough spiky, fiery characters to ensure a tough afternoon for Chelsea. This is the sort of game made for Chelsea's old pantomime villain Stephen Hunt. Under Villas-Boas it could get worse before it gets better, but he must be given at least 18 months to rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Cant see Chelsea winning the game today -is there anywhere that will be showing it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cech; Bosingwa, Luiz, Terry, Cole; Romeu, Lampard, Ramires, Meireles; Mata, Torres.

Drogba not involved today.

Chelsea subs: Turnbull, Lukaku, Ferreira, McEachran, Hutchinson, Bertrand, Chalobah

Lot of youth on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

New formation lads

Cech
    Terry
    Luiz
    Cole
    Bos
    Lamps
    Meriels
    Romeu
    Ramieres
    Mata
    Torres

I actually have a good feeling about this!

A big game for Torres.

Danny injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Romeu looks a huge prospect from the couple of games I've seen him play for you. Have you got high hopes for him?

• Advertisement

I do like Romeu as he moves the ball much quicker than Mikel, but is still young and learning his trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

adox wrote: »
    Romeu looks a huge prospect from the couple of games I've seen him play for you. Have you got high hopes for him?

yup he looks an excellent player very good tackler very composed on the ball but hell be back to barca if he keeps performing although hed probaly still be only a bit part player...

in other news working stream here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Will we keep the match discussion to this thread or open a game thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Hopefully we put in a good display, I reckon Torres will get a couple of goals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

• Advertisement

smuckers wrote: »
    A big game for Torres.

Danny injured?

Hip injury.

OMG, no danny, our most in form striker - not even on the bench?

Kids on the bench!!! - breathe deep people, breathe deep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

taking the piss out of our bench on SSN, but im loving it, youth will get a chance to come on today!

LUKAKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

still 4-3-3 RaM PLAYING RIGHT WING

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Torres started brightly enough were looking good so far

Torres has started very well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

There's a match thread lads.

We deserved the win. Bad defending for the Wolves goal. Romeu, Ramires and Torres played well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Jesus delighted with , we seemed happy to settle for the one goal and nearly paid for it although in saying that we controlled the game .

Our defenders are not commanding the box from high balls and this needs to be addressed , had cech to thank at the last ball of the game for the 3 points.

Thought boswinga had a decent game also cole , our midfield was solid and tireless throughout ,

A special mention to nando , chased everything down , made countless runs for everything and a couple of really neat passes , the type he shud be on the end of , shows were still lacking that bit creativity in the middle that he was providing .

We're still in a dog fight for 4th but that was a good battling performance that keeps us in the mixer.

Liked how the players rubbished the sun mutiny story with the first goal celebration !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

We're still in a dog fight for 4th but that was a good battling performance that keeps us in the mixer.
    I sure hope you don't mean a cement mixer. Although that might help explain some of the squad playing with concrete boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

It's about time Roman gave someone a chance. At least until the end of next season. Jesus, fergie took his time getting United off the ground.
    Ferguson is a once-off. Man U were not a force when he took them over, so their expectations were not as high as for post-Mourinho Chelsea.

Having said that Chelsea need stability. They need to take that chance on AVB to introduce a different type of football. Perhaps it could be slim pickings for 3 or 4 years. But if we can comfortably stay in the UCL qualification class and win a trophy a year, at worst we can build on what AVB leaves behind if he doesn't hit the heights (i.e. a premiership or UCL title).

What Chelsea needs is to develop a sense of permanent success and history. We're only a decade at the top. If by 2020 CFC can boast a grand total of 6 or 7 premierships, a couple more FA cups and a Champs League, that will be a legacy, and a record second only to Man U in modern times. We'll need our Beckenbauer-style ambassadors too. Lampard would be a good one. If JT can reach the same heights as a man as he does as a player, he could be iconic.

Maybe Mourinho too, if he ever comes back. Which IMO depends on RA staying on at Chelsea for life.

late fulham goal, late fulham goal...pleaaaaaaaaasssssssssssse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

late fulham goal, late fulham goal...pleaaaaaaaaasssssssssssse!

Your wish is....... oh what great timing :D

Sweet!!

Your wish is....... oh what great timing :D

wow and I got 2 of them!

WOW thats football - the unexpected

I think every team has now lost a game they expected to win and every team is now rueing lost points!

Gonna be the maddest season ever!

Romeu was class again. One of the bargains of the season for sure. In a few years time he will be starting for Barca. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Johner wrote: »
    Romeu was class again. One of the bargains of the season for sure. In a few years time he will be starting for Barca. :(

Have they a buy back clause?

Samich wrote: »
    Have they a buy back clause?

I'm not really sure about it but either way he will eventually want to go back I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I'm not really sure about it but either way he will eventually want to go back I'd say.

Only 5m ye paid for sure? Have yet to see him play. Is he good? Wonder why Barca let him go if he was that ready.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

A win we needed. Ramires played well as did Romeu, its a pity we only have him for a season or two. He will be to good for Barca not to call back IMO, and i reckon he would go back in a heart beat if he could anyway. He is not a long term option.

Torres wasn't to bad IMO, in the end we should thank Cech pulling off a vital save, we got the luck we needed and hopefully we can motor on from here.

Samich wrote: »
    Only 5m ye paid for sure? Have yet to see him play. Is he good? Wonder why Barca let him go if he was that ready.

He's been one of our best players this season(although that's not saying much!) Moves the ball quickly and has a great range of passing, very rarely gives it away. He's very good in the tackle and protects the back four very well. I'd say Barca sold him because of the amount of talent they already have, plus it would have been very very hard to get a game to show he was ready in the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I think its first refusal if Chelsea decide to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Well, what ever transfer business Roman and AVB have got in mind, I hope they do it early. As it stands we are sitting far from pretty in the last Champions League spot, so we can use that to sell ourselves to any January acquisitions. I fear come the end of the month we will only have Thursday Night European Roadtrips to woo prospective suitors. :mad:

........or even less :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

RichT wrote: »
    Well, what ever transfer business Roman and AVB have got in mind, I hope they do it early. As it stands we are sitting far from pretty in the last Champions League spot, so we can use that to sell ourselves to any January acquisitions. I fear come the end of the month we will only have Thursday Night European Roadtrips to woo prospective suitors. :mad:

If we lose against Napoli, we're gone from Europe this season. No Europa League...

We won't have to worry about that though. We'll scrape past Napoli ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

^^^^^

I'm talking about qualyifing for NEXT seasons Champions/Europa League.

• Advertisement

Apperently we want a grand total of 2 mill for Alex and QPR?????

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2081432/Chelsea-Alex-keen-Queens-Park-Rangers-move.html

Surely thats 6 million less than it should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm awful surprised he hasn't been linked to a few more clubs higher up the table to be honest. He's definitely worth a good 8 million in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Panthro wrote: »
    I'm awful surprised he hasn't been linked to a few more clubs higher up the table to be honest. He's definitely worth a good 8 million in my opinion.

Supply and demand I suppose.

Maybe Chelsea are trying to get a mini auction going amongst a few clubs.

Watching this video makes me drool at the thoughts of the dormant talent we have up front.

Personally I think its a combination of not being the main striker at the club when he came in, a loss of form having not scored for so long, the press/fans on his back and also Chelsea not playing the right system for Torres to prosper!

Now Drogba will more than likely be gone by the end of the season and I think the press have gotten off his back a bit, purely out of flogging a dead horse for too long!

Have a look at the goals above and try help me figure out, what are we as a club doing wrong in trying to get the best out of the guy!

Apperently we want a grand total of 2 mill for Alex and QPR?????

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2081432/Chelsea-Alex-keen-Queens-Park-Rangers-move.html

Surely thats 6 million less than it should be?

he's worth twice what Cahill is imo!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement