Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

what a day wrote: »
    Can you compair them stats to Gerards and Scholes??

Scholes has 66 apps and 14 goals

Gerrard has 89 apps and 19 goals.

Unfair IMO to compare Gerrard's stats to Lampard's playing for England as Gerrard has been forced to play out of position so much for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

430478_10150535782316523_659191522_9241978_287768505_n.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A tasty little Gif for you my men ,

CSG6.gif

and Women , actually where is Chelsea Vera she not been about in an age , we need to rally the troops were under attack !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

thebison wrote: »
    I have to say, AVB’s project at Chelsea has been disappointing thus far. At least Carlo would give some time to youngsters.

AVB will attempt to play it safe and play Bosingwa as LB.

Mark my words. We will get destroyed either side.

If I was Bertrand and seen some make shift left back being picked over me, I’d hand in a transfer request
    AVB got a much rawer deal than Ancelotti. The core players have aged two more years, and RA has blown £50 on Torres. (That's not just money blown. It is other potentially productive options foregone).

AVB inherited a squad that needs radical overhaul. He got the job later in the summer than was ideal. He can't be expected to turn matters around in a few months. Give him till this summer to make his purchases and until November/December to prove his coaching ability with a squad he can mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

McDave wrote: »
    AVB got a much rawer deal than Ancelotti. The core players have aged two more years, and RA has blown £50 on Torres. (That's not just money blown. It is other potentially productive options foregone).

AVB inherited a squad that needs radical overhaul. He got the job later in the summer than was ideal. He can't be expected to turn matters around in a few months. Give him till this summer to make his purchases and until November/December to prove his coaching ability with a squad he can mould.

The "ageing squad line" is worn out at this stage.

Carlo would have done far better with this current squad if he stayed. He would of adapted to the situation, which AVB doesn't seem to be able to do.

First we were far to open, playing suicide football which left us dangerously exposed. Now we can barely carve out a chance, playing the worst stuff i have seen from us in years IMO.

To sack Carlo Ancelotti in order to bring in AVB was a baffling decision by Roman.

He is out of his depth and i would be surprised to see him last longer than next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Its hard to judge AVB right now if you ask me, I'll reserve my judgement until this time next year assuming he's still at the club.

I think last season it was almost unanimous among the fans that we needed a season or 2 like this to rebuild, replacing the old guard with exciting younger talents. Well we're definitely focusing on bringing in fresh talent right now and I have no doubt that the summer will see an epic clear out of dead wood and players who are just past it.

I obviously think we're going in the right direction in that regard but people need to remember that there is a line that cannot be crossed under any circumstances and that is finishing outside of the CL places. For that reason we need to stick with more experienced players, the lads who have been there and done it.

As long as the clubs sticks with AVB I have absolutely no doubt that we will come out at the other end of this with an exciting young team ready to challenge for titles on a regular basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

To add to that - It would also be great to hang onto a manager after a tough spell. Imagine what a Chelsea manager could achieve if he knew he actually had the support of the owner.

The "ageing squad line" is worn out at this stage.

Carlo would have done far better with this current squad if he stayed. He would of adapted to the situation, which AVB doesn't seem to be able to do.

First we were far to open, playing suicide football which left us dangerously exposed. Now we can barely carve out a chance, playing the worst stuff i have seen from us in years IMO.

To sack Carlo Ancelotti in order to bring in AVB was a baffling decision by Roman.

He is out of his depth and i would be surprised to see him last longer than next season.
    IMO, CA's appointment was treading water. He won the double which was phenomenal. But what enduring changes did he bring about?

AVB has a different brief, and if he's given the chance to do things his way with a squad more in his own image, he could do very well. Only time can tell of course, and he is a gamble. But in any event we do have to move on from the squad Mourinho inherited and developed.

Incidentally, out of curiosity who would you like to see replace AVB at this juncture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Some good sense there!
    No one is totally happy with AVB, including himself! He's actually said he hasnt improved Chelsea.
    But with or without him, here are the facts

The current squad needs a drastic and costly overhaul.
    The most improved players under AVB havent been the oldies, but young blood like Mata, Danny and Romeu.
    Whoever is manager is still stuck with Malouda and Co until the summer.
    We simply have to STOP the managerial merry go round - its one of the of the main reason we are in the mess we are in (Which is still pretty good IMO)
    Look at Man U, for the first time ever I think under Fergie, they are out of all cups domestic and european - yet no one is calling for his head!
    We absolutely put in some big bids for some big players
    Lucas and/or Hazard seem to be our No 1 targets, as well as Higuain, so it seems FFP or not, Roman will invest. Apparently Willian could be on his way as well

I totally agree with McDave, we must stick with him and see though what he has always said it was - a 3 year plan. Let him get his own players and let them get bedded in - then we will see.
    If we pull it off - we could have an exciting young manager and squad with years ahead of them and Roman would have finally seen sense to let it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hi guys,

New to the forum and have been a Chelsea fan for the last 15 years (I was pretty fortunate to be born into the sexy football:))...

Thought I would throw in my two cents on the team at the moment. Personally I definitely think AVB has to be given at least next season to form his own team, I just hope his purchases can return us to the power at the top of the league again. For me one of the big differences between this team and the championship winning sides a few years back is size/ability in the middle of the park.

Comparing Ballack-Essien-Lampard to currently Ramires-Meireles-Romue there really is big difference in physical presence and the ability to pick a pass... I'm not sure who I would bring in or replace but I just think we really lack in this part of the team.

Looks like AVB will be giving Bertrand a go at the weekend, pretty happy with that tbh, although whoever he was going to put there will have a rough time I think. Fingers crossed anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd agree broadly with what the last two posters said.
    Furthermore I think AVB must be given at least another year, even if we finish outside the top four places this year, which I believe is increasingly likely.

We choose a very young manager to rebuild the squad and its probably too big an ask to think he could do this without the danger of dropping out of the top four at some stage.

IMO, CA's appointment was treading water. He won the double which was phenomenal. But what enduring changes did he bring about?

AVB has a different brief, and if he's given the chance to do things his way with a squad more in his own image, he could do very well. Only time can tell of course, and he is a gamble. But in any event we do have to move on from the squad Mourinho inherited and developed.

Incidentally, out of curiosity who would you like to see replace AVB at this juncture?

Carlo was only with us for like two years, he was never given the chance to over haul the squad and bring in his own players and create his own team.

He is a man with plenty of experience, he would of been well able to it IMO.

If you think our squad under AVB will drastically be changed after two years, i think your wrong. Their will be some changes due to retirement and such but i suspect we will still have a fair amount of deadwood left.

I don't want anyone to replace him as of yet, he has not had a fair shot yet, but i was never in favor of his appointment, i am not calling for his head i just hold the opinion he wont see past two years. I don't think he is up to it.

This whole young player thing that people use to back AVB is not right, only two players so far who have improved under him are Danny and Romeu..who by the way is not a long term player for us anyway.

IMO these players would of progressed just as much if Carlo was in charge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I dont see the game happening tomorrow folks , Its due to bucket it down snow in London over night

I dont see the game happening tomorrow folks , Its due to bucket it down snow in London over night

Well, you're defiantly the man that would no that...:D

Well, you're defiantly the man that would no that...:D

Just started snowing heavy there now, and is due to do so for the rest of the night , sure we will see what happens but I say its easily 50 /50 for the game to go ahead now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

@hobbit of the shire welcome to the forum! Very good core group of posters in here, really good group of people.
    @pete, should they not be calling the game off so, given that Man U fans have such a distance to travel? I'm dreading tomorrow's game, I can't see beyond a 3-0 loss for some reason.

Panthro wrote: »
    @hobbit of the shire welcome to the forum! Very good core group of posters in here, really good group of people.
    @pete, should they not be calling the game off so, given that Man U fans have such a distance to travel? I'm dreading tomorrow's game, I can't see beyond a 3-0 loss for some reason.

The problem is , if they called it off and weather system broke up or pushed through quicker than expected then there would be hell to pay.

The weather is strange beast and is very unpredictable.

There having to redo the line markings on the pitch @ the City V Fulham game as I type this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pretty sure my flight into Heathrow is going to be cancelled.

Johner wrote: »
    Pretty sure my flight into Heathrow is going to be cancelled.

What time you flying at ?

I will check with one of the lads on the weather forum who is a pilot and see what his aviation forecast is saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Been looking forward to this all week,and now it might be called off :mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What time you flying at ?

I will check with one of the lads on the weather forum who is a pilot and see what his aviation forecast is saying

10.20, thanks! Not looking good I would imagine.

Johner wrote: »
    10.20, thanks! Not looking good I would imagine.

One of the lads is saying heathrow should be ok with Snow but Stanstead no ,

Looking at the Aviation forecast it looks likely to snow till 4 am , now that would be a good 10 hours snow , hopefully the council are on the ball over there and keep around the ground in good nick so they game goes ahead.

Actually Johner ,

Here is what he says :

Hmmmmm.....

EGLL 041704Z 0418/0524 16010KT 8000 SCT018 BKN035
    TEMPO 0418/0420 4000 -SN BKN012
    BECMG 0420/0423 1200 SN BKN002
    TEMPO 0422/0504 0500 +SN VV///
    BECMG 0505/0508 VRB04KT 3000 BR BKN005
    PROB30 0505/0510 BKN001
    TEMPO 0510/0516 6000 NSW SCT006
    PROB40 0519/0524 0600 FZFG VV///

Heavy snow up to around 4 am. Could take a few hours to clear runways, then backlog, cancellations, etc.....I'd say 70:30 it could be delayed.

Disclaimer: This information should not be used for football trip planning purposes. Always check with your airline before travelling to the airport. Su Campu will not be held liable for any loss caused through following this info!

The bridge in all its glory :pac::pac::pac:

191495.png

Any updates regarding whether the game will go ahead?..Doesn't look to good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Looking good for the game today, no mention of it being called off as of yet, hopefully it goes ahead need an excuse to go to the pub for the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

SKY just said....................

GAME ON :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Hoping for the best but really fearing the worst today.

Hope you bring us luck today agent Pistol Pete!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Damm, just noticed this game overlaps with the irish game, I will be flicking channels like a maniac all afternoon.

For some reason I see a draw in this one, 1-1.

And before anyone else says it, TORRES WILL NOT SCORE, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Fair play to the club and ground staff , the pitch was never going to be the issue it was outside the ground but they had nearly every single member of non playing staff out giving a dig out to help prep the place .

Looking forward to it but I am not overlay confident of a good result today.

Woke up this morning with a good feeling about this one.The pressure is on United at this stage,they have to catch up with city after yesterday.We can come out and do the business like we did against City when no one was expecting it.I wouldn't write us off yet!

Cahill to score a half volley on the edge of the box to make himself a Stamford Bridge hero!You heard it here first! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

disaster of a lineup

Cech; Ivanovic, David Luiz, Cahill, Bosingwa; Meireles, Essien, Malouda; Sturridge, Torres, Mata.

disaster of a lineup

Cech; Ivanovic, David Luiz, Cahill, Bosingwa; Meireles, Essien, Malouda; Sturridge, Torres, Mata.

Terrible the midfield is a disaster waiting to happen..as is the backline..and the forwards just don't click.

Sorry for being negative,I'm contradicting my post above :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Ye have a CB pairing not used to playing together.
    Essien is not match fit and Bosingwa on the left?
    That back 4 needs alot of help from the MF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

MUSEIST wrote: »

I disagree.

I've only said it once before. And he didn't as usual. I haven't learned my lesson yet.

I saw a discussion here before about whether Van Persie's miss was worse than Mr Torres. It was nowhere near as bad I'm afraid

But like Arsenal had something to prove against Blackburn after their reverse fixture, I am hoping Fernando is the same

Still with this team I am fearing a bad defeat

MUSEIST wrote: »
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fair play to the club and ground staff , the pitch was never going to be the issue it was outside the ground but they had nearly every single member of non playing staff out giving a dig out to help prep the place .

Looking forward to it but I am not overlay confident of a good result today.

Bit hard on the tea-lady - good to hear that RA was doing his share though.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Embarrassing stuff.

Fortress Stamford Bridge is long gone. Still unbeaten in 2012, but to throw away a 3-0 lead at home like that is just a disaster. Only one point above Newcastle now with the same amount of games played. Serious battle on for 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Take a draw in this game everyday, don't care about giving away the lead. Rami, Lamps, JT and Ashley out, delighted!

No matter what level of soccer you play at it's criminal to give away a 3-0 lead.

And yeah before the game I would have taken in a draw but not in that manner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

HI guys first time poster here and a long time fan. I'm furious with that result to be honest aside from that dodgy second penalty we were under serious pressure for the last 25-30 with essien looking particularly tired and still our manager couldn't use at least 1 of his remaining substitutions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

deep breaths .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I would have been delighted with a draw before the match but to drop a 3-0 lead is ****e. Lampard and terry would have showed the experience needed to see it out, we badly missed them, utd benefited from the experience of giggs and scholes.

I was never confident we could hold on. More silly points dropped:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

kev1.3s wrote: »
    HI guys first time poster here and a long time fan. I'm furious with that result to be honest aside from that dodgy second penalty we were under serious pressure for the last 25-30 with essien looking particularly tired and still our manager couldn't use at least 1 of his remaining substitutions!

In fairness to AVB we had absolutely nothing on the bench to change the game.

Piazon, Lukaku, Bertrand and co. all probably have futures at Chelsea but they're nowhere near ready yet for such a big game.

3-4 years ago we could've put out 2 different starting XI's in the Premier League and still give any team a game. Now, realistically we only have about 12-14 players in the squad, at best, that are Chelsea standard.

I'm all for giving Villas Boas time to mold his own team, but it doesn't matter who was playing today - to give away a 3-0 lead at home with 30mins to go is nothing short of a disgrace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It's very hard to beat a twelve man team. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I disagree.

I've only said it once before. And he didn't as usual. I haven't learned my lesson yet.

I saw a discussion here before about whether Van Persie's miss was worse than Mr Torres. It was nowhere near as bad I'm afraid

But like Arsenal had something to prove against Blackburn after their reverse fixture, I am hoping Fernando is the same

Still with this team I am fearing a bad defeat

Was very wrong on all counts. Lesson learned. Devastated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

blue-army wrote: »
    In fairness to AVB we had absolutely nothing on the bench to change the game.

Piazon, Lukaku, Bertrand and co. all probably have futures at Chelsea but they're nowhere near ready yet for such a big game.

3-4 years ago we could've put out 2 different starting XI's in the Premier League and still give any team a game. Now, realistically we only have about 12-14 players in the squad, at best, that are Chelsea standard.

I'm all for giving Villas Boas time to mold his own team, but it doesn't matter who was playing today - to give away a 3-0 lead at home with 30mins to go is nothing short of a disgrace!

Nothing on the bench but why did he take Sturridge off :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement