Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

LEGENDS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

sack AvB ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So where has THAT Chelsea been hiding ? Some performance. Maybe Abramovich was right to get rid of AVB ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What does Di Matteo have to do in order to get the job permanently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Have a project!

No, seriously. If it goes tits up for a guy like RDM, he'll get his marching orders pretty sharpish. IMO he's an interim appointment with RA effectively handing over control to the old guard to hack something out of the season.

I honestly don't think Di Matteo can sustain success over a protracted period.

Still, I'd be perfectly happy to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Win the Gran National ( riding Shergar )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Avram Grant took Chelsea to within the width of a post from winning a Champions League and he wasn't offered it permanently so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

WHAT A GAME!!!

Good to see the effort put back into the game. Great!!!

MOM for me??? Didier. 100% effort and a great opening goal. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

kleefarr wrote: »
    WHAT A GAME!!!

Good to see the effort put back into the game. Great!!!

MOM for me??? Didier. 100% effort and a great opening goal. :D

Ramires for me, the warrior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Delighted... could this be our turning point? Great time to take it up a gear. Only time will tell tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

We've found fifth gear at last.
    Must have been some night for those there - Brilliant performance and great match to watch.
    Looking forward to the draw now and feeling optimistic about the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Luiz was immense tonight, in fairness overall performance was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Congrats lads. Didnt think ye had a chance but fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Even though it was hard to watch I havnt seen a Chelsea game that exciting since last year KTBFFH !!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Breaking news: London Police searching for Cavani, words say he was last seen in David Luiz's pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Even though it was hard to watch I havnt seen a Chelsea game that exciting since last year

I agree with that fully, in Bobby we trust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Delighted with that, why are we only starting to play in march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

One word,Proud.

Couldn't possible put it into words.Fair ****ing play to the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Cech - some great saves
    cole - solid
    luiz -outstanding IMO even though I was half expecting a major **** up at some stage
    terry - captain fantastic
    Ivanovic - superb goal
    essien - okayish
    lamps - did alright
    ramires - great work rate as usual and was brilliant for the ivanovich goal
    Mata - fairly quiet
    drogba - outstanding
    Sturridge - did well

^^When was the last time we had so many good performances in one match, I can't remember any this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Cech - some great saves
    cole - solid
    luiz -outstanding IMO even though I was half expecting a major **** up at some stage
    terry - captain fantastic
    Ivanovic - superb goal
    essien - okayish
    lamps - did alright
    ramires - great work rate as usual and was brilliant for the ivanovich goal
    Mata - fairly quiet
    drogba - outstanding
    Sturridge - did well

^^When was the last time we had so many good performances in one match, I can't remember any this season.

I thought torres did really well when he came up aswell, looked lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

That was tough going in place but good stuff. Now Apoel, here looking at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I apologise for the lack of articulation but eh...

GET.THE.FCUK.IN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

A sign of better days when opposition fans are back posting in the thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What a game! My heart can't take much more of that! Play acting aside Drogba was brilliant he was really up for that!Great header as well and great play to set up Ivanovic.

Luiz was unbelievable, last minute interceptions, clearances, blocks, everything!

Thought Ivanovic had a really good game, also thought Essien was very poor he looked drunk for most of the match! Mata was quiet, Ramires was his usual self. everyone else did well enough.

Also when Torres came on I thought he did excellent(apart from what he is paid to do and put the ball in the net! Missed a great chance :( )

Just delighted with the result and performance, we really needed that! Di Matteo nearly falling flat on his face after Drogbas goal was great! Any gifs?

For Napoli I was impressed with Lavezzi and Inler. Cavani was very very quiet as was Hamsik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I just love the way all the pundits on rte last night wrote off our chances of going through last night, an opinion echoed by a lot of fans and I must admit I didn't feel over confident myself! But even though I was eating my fingers and kicking an imaginary ball I was so proud of our boys last night when there backs were again the wall they pull out the kind of performance that that we've been waiting for since we got beat by QPR. Not a perfect performance but it'll For now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Breaking news: London Police searching for Cavani, words say he was last seen in David Luiz's pocket.

He had a great game, Cavani was dropping to deep to threaten.

He was trying to do what Lavezzi was doing all night and ofered nothing up top.

Well done Luiz though he looked like an old school CB, clearing everything and putting the boot in.

Fine performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

walked into work with a smile on my hungover head. great feeling with all the anti chelsea people around. lads were immense last especially drog, JT and Ivan. Really happy we showed fight to come back after the napoli goal. Passing was poor enough in the first half and I was worried we'd get caught more with napolis counterattack and were let off a couple of times in fairness but hopefully this is now the lift we need to push all the way for forth!

I pity Leicester in our next game. They couldnt have wished for a worse time to play us.

Last 8 of the UCL and a potetinal stroll into the FA cup semi-final* and Spurs faltering in the EPL.

This season has finally started coming together.

* Watch Leicester beat us. :pac:

• Advertisement

In some other news, dont know if it was mentioned yesterday.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2658899,00.html

CHELSEA SIGNS THREE-YEAR DEAL WITH NEXTGEN SERIES

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to confirm our involvement in the NextGen Series, an exciting European competition showcasing football's finest young talent from the 2012/13 season.

We join some of the biggest clubs in Europe in adding our name to the Under 19 tournament, which provides elite competition for Academy graduates working towards first-team status.

In its first year, the NextGen Series has proven a huge success and captured the imagination of both clubs and supporters and Chelsea is delighted to add its name to the distinguished list of teams already participating - which include Ajax, Barcelona, Inter, Manchester City and Sporting Lisbon.

Next season's format of the competition allows for six groups of four teams, with fixtures home and away prior to Christmas, and knockout stages to follow in the New Year.

Neil Bath, Chelsea Academy manager, said: 'We are delighted to be one of the 24 teams competing in next season's NextGen Series.

'We'll be up against some stiff competition but it will be interesting to see how we compete against the top European sides - the experience will be invaluable for the boys.'

Co-founder of the tournament Justin Andrews is also pleased to see Chelsea sign up. 'We are delighted Chelsea are joining us for Season Two of the tournament. They have a great reputation across the world and their interest in the tournament is testament to the success of our inaugural year. We look forward to welcoming them to NextGen.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Hey lads, surprised no-one's mentioned the win last night... :D

F me tho, what a turnaround. In both the 0-2 deficit and general form of the team. That bursting pace at the start of the game usually drops down after 20 mins, but it lasted the full 90, then another 30.. unreal.

Exhilarating match, no matter who you support.

Jagera wrote: »
    Hey lads, surprised no-one's mentioned the win last night... :D

F me tho, what a turnaround. In both the 0-2 deficit and general form of the team. That bursting pace at the start of the game usually drops down after 20 mins, but it lasted the full 90, then another 30.. unreal.

Exhilarating match, no matter who you support.

We havent had much to shout about this season so any distraction is welcome really.

Delighted still though, that was a fairly historic night at the Bridge TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Morning Lads.

The mrs was laughing at me this morning singing and dancing all the way to work this morning. Great game great result. I had faith in the lads but against all the odds we did it!!

We started shaky with some poor passing, but after 25 - 30 mins we started to make our mark and push Napoli further back. We started to keep the ball and not panic. Ivan Luiz and Ramires were emense!!!

Delighted and fills all us Chelsea fans with confidence we have lacked in a long time. Looking forward to the city game now:p

In other news great to see us join the nextgen compition, should highlight our better youngsters and maybe some oposition youngsters for us to poach;).

COME ON CHELSEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swtiched over to UTV to listen to the pundits there , as RTE seemed to be dwelling on the usual crap.

Noticed that Zola now has a fine head of hair, last time I saw him it was fairly sparse :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Right lads, I was in work this morning when the match was on, the highlights are on in a few minutes so spoiler tags at the ready.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Sideshow has been excellent really since the first leg in Napoli when he was at fault for the third goal really. He does seem to have taken on board that it is hard to score from row x of the stand so fair play to him for that.

Glad the Leicester game is on Sunday gives the lads a bit more recovery time, may need it after that effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

This is not meant to confrontational at all, but...

Are ye really going to forget about the unprofessional lack of effort under AVB? Does it not bother ye that Chelsea are probably not going to get the Champions League spot becuause of the crap attitude of your older players?

Are ye not frustrated? Because it could happen again. The players not happy with the next manager and yet more time and money wasted because the players don't want to perform for him.

Again, I'm not trying to stir. Genuine question. Do you think most Chelsea fans will now forget about the players playing **** for the whole season prior to last night?

Essien wrote: »
    Right lads, I was in work this morning when the match was on, the highlights are on in a few minutes so spoiler tags at the ready.:pac:
    WE lost 6-0 and Di Matteo got repalced by Harry Redknapp

:P
    Sideshow has been excellent really since the first leg in Napoli when he was at fault for the third goal really. He does seem to have taken on board that it is hard to score from row x of the stand so fair play to him for that.

Glad the Leicester game is on Sunday gives the lads a bit more recovery time, may need it after that effort.

Yup, the extra 24 hours will be worth it. we were like the wlaking wounded last night at the end. Luiz looked in trouble, JT came off, Essien looked stuffed after about 40 minutes....but Ramires engine :eek:

My god he loves running, his energy and drive are endless.

Reminds me of this guy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

gavredking wrote: »
    WE lost 6-0 and Di Matteo got repalced by Harry Redknapp

:P

I'm struggling to decide which one would upset me more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I have no idea how Ram does it last minute or so of extra time he was still bombing forward, I was knackered watching it from the comfort of my settee. He really is an amazing athlete.

Would imagine there will be quite a few changes for Sunday depending upon recovery JT and Sideshow may well get a rest with Cahill and Ivan in the middle. Would have thought Torres will certainly get a start also.

kraggy wrote: »

Are ye really going to forget about the unprofessional lack of effort under AVB? Does it not bother ye that Chelsea are probably not going to get the Champions League spot becuause of the crap attitude of your older players?

Are ye not frustrated? Because it could happen again. The players not happy with the next manager and yet more time and money wasted because the players don't want to perform for him.

Again, I'm not trying to stir. Genuine question. Do you think most Chelsea fans will now forget about the players playing **** for the whole season prior to last night?

I'll go first, we are in a better place to ge the 4th then we we're under AVB, we went through last night and we're in the 6th round of the FA Cup.

I didnt want AVB goen, I'm still pissed about it, but thats life.

The players that were causing problems wont be here next year, well the majority wont anyway.

If we finish 4th I couldnt care how bad the players played for the last 8 months,it happens in football, the players and coach didnt see things inthe same light, the coach got sacked and the players are now " happier " because fo it.

If it rallys us and we finish 4th and go onto an FA Cup final and maybe a semi of the UCL then it wont be a total disaster of a season.

Personally speaking its a [EMAIL="b@lls"]b@lls[/EMAIL] seeing the lads putting in 110% since AVB has gone but what can we do?

Last nights performance was the best on about 12 months and as fans we tend to only react on the most recent results and games and this is the case.

I'm delighted we won and we're through but dont think AVB would have got us through and thats partly down to his approach and the players unwillingness to put it all on the line for him.

Again, delighted with the result and the manner of the performance but its the same as the Scolari situtaion when he was replace by Hiddink and the players decided to turn in a performance when they wanted, its not nice to see but as long as results continue this way I couldnt give a toss.

Essien wrote: »
    I'm struggling to decide which one would upset me more

'Arry, definetly.
    I have no idea how Ram does it last minute or so of extra time he was still bombing forward, I was knackered watching it from the comfort of my settee. He really is an amazing athlete.

Would imagine there will be quite a few changes for Sunday depending upon recovery JT and Sideshow may well get a rest with Cahill and Ivan in the middle. Would have thought Torres will certainly get a start also.

I'd say Ivan will be rested too. Infact I can see wide spread changes,
    I can see us going with :

Cech

Bos Cahill Luiz Bertrand

Mikel Romeu Meireles

Kalou Torres Malouda

I'd love too see Piazon get some game time too.

There was something not quite right under AVB.
    Alex alluded to it in a recent interview.
    It was unfair on AVB but he wasnt ready for the job that was there to be done.
    A model used by SAF to keep certain senior players as central to the team going forward would probably have suited him better , but relative inexperience in man management probably meant this was never going to be easy.

It does leave us with a huge problem going forward in terms of the next manager and I'm not sure what we can do about that, but as Gavredking said, I'm just enjoying last night as a fan at the moment and not looking too far into the future.

No one said alls forgotten and forgiven and we have a very good chance to finish in a CL spot for next season. I quite fancy our chances of finishing in at least 3rd spot this season.

Yes there was some thing wrong with the way certain players did not perform for AVB and it wont be forgotten. AVB as sad as i was to see him go he did not keep the players in control and drop the underperformers. We have gotten over this hurdle for now and concentrate on the remainder of the season.

Once the season end we can sit back and take stock of what we have, what we need and what we dont need.
    Im sure there will be an overhaul of the squad come summer time.
    As a CFC fan im delighted with last nights performance and also the way De Matteo got his tactics spot on. Great line great tactics, maybe this was a blessing in the skys? Maybe Robbie is the manager we have been searching for??:eek:

what a day wrote: »
    No one said alls forgotten and forgiven and we have a very good chance to finish in a CL spot for next season. I quite fancy our chances of finishing in at least 3rd spot this season.

Yes there was some thing wrong with the way certain players did not perform for AVB and it wont be forgotten. AVB as sad as i was to see him go he did not keep the players in control and drop the underperformers. We have gotten over this hurdle for now and concentrate on the remainder of the season.

Once the season end we can sit back and take stock of what we have, what we need and what we dont need.
    Im sure there will be an overhaul of the squad come summer time.
    As a CFC fan im delighted with last nights performance and also the way De Matteo got his tactics spot on. Great line great tactics, maybe this was a blessing in the skys? Maybe Robbie is the manager we have been searching for??:eek:

Ah we wont get higher then 3rd unless City and Utd decide to lose a lot of games between now and the end of the season, I'd be happy with 4th, 3rd would be brillant, especially considering how poor we've been this season.

Last night will hopefully push the players on and make them relaise what they can achieve if they put in the effort.

Also I wouldnt take a gamble on Di Matteo, Mourihno is what I want and Mourinho is what we'll get.

gavredking wrote: »
    Ah we wont get higher then 3rd unless City and Utd decide to lose a lot of games between now and the end of the season, I'd be happy with 4th, 3rd would be brillant, especially considering how poor we've been this season.

Last night will hopefully push the players on and make them relaise what they can achieve if they put in the effort.

Sorry i ment 4th spot, think we are still in with an outside chance of 3rd though:P

Say if Robbie went an unbeatin run for the remainder of the season and took us to the CL final? Would you still want him replaced with Mourinho?

what a day wrote: »
    Sorry i ment 4th spot, think we are still in with an outside chance of 3rd though:P

Say if Robbie went an unbeatin run for the remainder of the season and took us to the CL final? Would you still want him replaced with Mourinho?

I think 3rd is possible, we are playing Spurs and Arsenal before the end of the season and taking points from them is a real possibility, especially when Spurs visit the Bridge.

Ya, defiently. I dont think Di Matteo is able for this job anymore then AVB was.

Its a bit like the Grant / Hiddink situation when the players just up there game, and push on themselves, I'd love if we went unbeaten and went all the way in UCL and won the FA cup but I'd still replace Di Matteo and if Roman keeps him in a job I'd be very surprised.

Edit : I should say that I want Mourhino over anyone else and given the lack of quality out there, after we sacked enough of it, Roman should go running to Jose but it all depends on how REal do this year, if he wins the UCL with them i can see him jumping ship, 3 UCL winning teams in 3 countries would be an immense record and if he was to go on and make it 4 in 4 countries and it was with us I'd be over the moon.

• Advertisement

I know im in fairy tale land but im hoping di Matteo becomes our Pep Guardiola :D

Im hoping he pushes us all the way fighting and wins the cup and gets us to the CL final. Chops a few heads in the summer and buys his type of players, attacking inteligent hard working players.

He might even introduce a few young lads in from the reserve team, ah well i can dream thought thats what been a fan is all about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement