Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I said earlier in the week if we drew with Arsenal we had to beat Liverpool or vice versa to claim 4th.

I reckon if we managed to take 13 points from 15 then we'd snatch 4th but that involves beating Newcastle who are well in the fight and Liverpool for all their shite this season, always seem to turn up and give us a game.

QPR and Blacjburn will be scrapping for the lives so points will be hard to pick up but we should have enough to do it.

4 wins from 4 is the only thing that will at least give us a chance of 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I heard last night that the referee appointed tomorrow night might have some bias towards Barcelona

amiable wrote: »
    I heard last night that the referee appointed tomorrow night might have some bias towards Barcelona

Does my sarcasm detector need updating or are you being serious amiable?

What will help us is we have had a few more hours rest and a less intense game against Arsenal then Barca had against Real.

What wont help is, other then the Domestic cup final, this is their only realistic target left for the season as over turning R.Madrid at this stage is a near impossible task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

So that could be just about any UEFA referee then.

gavredking wrote: »
    Does my sarcasm detector need updating or are you being serious amiable?

What will help us is we have had a few more hours rest and a less intense game against Arsenal then Barca had against Real.

What wont help is, other then the Domestic cup final, this is their only realistic target left for the season as over turning R.Madrid at this stage is a near impossible task.

Not sarcastic at all. Battery about to die. I'll post later why :)

• Advertisement

kev1.3s wrote: »
    So that could be just about any UEFA referee then.

If we play well enough then there shouldnt be any doubt from officials regarding yellow/reds frees/penos.

We have a few on yellows dont we, Ramires, Meireles, Drogba and Luiz are a yellow away from a ban that would take them out of a potential final.

The referee tomorrow night is from Turkey(can't remember his name)
    He has big links with UNICEF as far as I know and so have Barca.
    It's probably reading too much in to it but he may have a slight bias towards Barcelona.

The referee tomorrow night is from Turkey(can't remember his name)
    He has big links with UNICEF as far as I know and so have Barca.
    It's probably reading too much in to it but he may have a slight bias towards Barcelona.

I'd really rather UEFA pick from the top officials and not give the big games to the local hair dresser from Hungary type referee that seems to pop up every now and again.

Not trying to discriminate against them but these satges shoudl be fit for the best officials.

Last week we had a German guy who in my mind was very fair and strong, he gave Chelsea the odd soft free kick but Barca got similar awards, nothing that changed the game, but on the face of it I thought he had a very good game.

Now we cant have an English or spanish official, so why cant we go to the next strongest league in the German or Italian and pull a top referee from there given the magnitude of the game and the occasion?

No doubt the referee will ahve experience of the big games in Turkey and the derby games but I've always looked on with a slight suspicion of referees from outside the top leagues in Europe even though some of them have refereed International qualifers and the like.

I hope my fear's are mis-guided though and that amiable is reading to much into the officials potential background. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think I'd rather the Hungarian hairdresser than Howard Webb, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Think I'd rather the Hungarian hairdresser than Howard Webb, for example.

Aren't we lucky we cant get Howard Webb in the UCL so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Ovrebo claims that he still gets death threats after the last time so I'd imagine that even if there was something untoward going on that will be in the reff's mind.

I don't think the Nou Camp is sold out for tomorrow night.

I'm surprised yee haven't started a match thread yet.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Ovrebo claims that he still gets death threats after the last time so I'd imagine that even if there was something untoward going on that will be in the reff's mind.
    To be clear I did not infer there was something untoward going on.
    Sometimes people have a bias that they do without knowing or deliberately.

I don't think the Nou Camp is sold out for tomorrow night.

I'm surprised yee haven't started a match thread yet.

I'll have to check, but I think our allocation of nearly 5000 isnt sold out anyway.

I think its better for match threads to be started on the day of the match.

But anybody here is free to start them, especially all the Barcelona fans that seem to come out whenever Barcelona play, like last Wednesday night.

;)

I'll have to check, but I think our allocation of nearly 5000 isnt sold out anyway.

I think its better for match threads to be started on the day of the match.

But anybody here is free to start them, especially all the Barcelona fans that seem to come out whenever Barcelona play, like last Wednesday night.

;)

I was on the Barca website and there are home tickets available.
    I think they may go on general sale tomorrow providing you have a passport that isn't British.

I was on the Barca website and there are home tickets available.
    I think they may go on general sale tomorrow providing you have a passport that isn't British.

Match thread up here amiable : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056615825

Just for you. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've a feeling the match thread will be absolutely nuts.
    Can we keep a clean sheet, I'll say no. Can we win..I'll say yes.
    Cahill to score!

Aquila wrote: »
    Damn was gonna make one,although made my "believe" post,hopefully will appease the gods..
    May Fortuna cast her blessings upon us!:pac:

You snooze you lose :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

huh Cech can speak English, Spanish, French and Czech.

Masked Man wrote: »

Well he did play for Rennes in France and may have learnt Spanish in School?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Masked Man wrote: »

And, if I remember correctly, he's a qualified solicitor... or more likely he completed an undergrad in law, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Apparently Messi didn't train yesterday, "gastric problems" - maybe just a bit of mind games from Pep though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Bobby D is going to go for it! :)

BBC
    "I do think we will have to try to score. It will be difficult to just play for a goalless draw."

Great News!

If we do go down, we will go down fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Well he did play for Rennes in France and may have learnt Spanish in School?

Looked it up, he learnt it a couple of years ago for fun. Not surprisingly he was then linked with Barcelona.

Must be a very bright guy, on top of the other 4 he also speaks Portuguese. He gave the press conference today in Spanish and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

RichT wrote: »
    Bobby D is going to go for it! :)

BBC

Great News!

If we do go down, we will go down fighting.

LOL, as if we will have the ball enough!. No I expect the same tactics but of course we will try and break away and score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

1-0, 1-1, 0-0, 2-2, 1-0, 1-1, 1-2

Our last 7 results vs Barca. Even though I hate stats like these it does give one hope for the CL semi final, seen as any would have us traveling to Munich.

Telgere wrote: »
    1-0 ( Chelsea win ), 1-1, 0-0, 2-2, 1-0 ( Chelsea Win ), 1-1, 1-2

Our last 7 results vs Barca. Even though I hate stats like these it does give one hope for the CL semi final, seen as any would have us traveling to Munich.

Once we score it cant go to extra time and penalties.

If Barcelona nick it 1-0 in 90 minutes it goes to extra time and penalties.

If Barcelona do win it 1-0 then I'll probably have a heart attack.

D-day is here, I love Messi but if hes out tonight that could well deflate the Catalans, I do expect him no matter what though to be played and if hes off his game our chances will increase slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

The match thread is carnage already. Will be staying well away.

I hope this goes well and without anything to talk about either way except the football. If there's some crap that's getting talked about tomorrow that isn't football then I'm giving up!

The match thread is carnage already. Will be staying well away.

I hope this goes well and without anything to talk about either way except the football. If there's some crap that's getting talked about tomorrow that isn't football then I'm giving up!

Trust me, no matter what the result peolpe will be ripping the piss.

If we in we were lucky and Barcelona are the greatest side ever and OMG they so should have won.

If we lose then it will be a case of well Chelsea are a load of shite anyway and deserve to win nothing.

Even if we go all the way and win it people will begrudge us the title but thats along way off at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Your right Gav no matter what we do we are the bad guys but i dont care i just use it to wind people up in work. Last week before any got to open there mouths i was telling every one "Drogba was awsome wasnt he? poor chap got kicked off the park he was so good" :D

Gonna be a tough test and i fancy our chances of going trough to the final. We need to go with the same game plan and throw Drogba on up front. Kalou and Ramires out wide, Merieles Lampard and Mikel to flood the midfield. We can nick a goal tonight but i do think Barca will score first and make this a nervy incounter. We needd to hold out composure and not lose control even if we do conceed early on. If we get a fair ref tonight i will be shocked!! We need a lot of luck tonight lads but i think we will come out on top. Cahill and ramires to score tonight 2 - 2.
    Torres to score us the winner in the final :rolleyes:

what a day wrote: »
    Your right Gav no matter what we do we are the bad guys but i dont care i just use it to wind people up in work. Last week before any got to open there mouths i was telling every one "Drogba was awsome wasnt he? poor chap got kicked off the park he was so good" :D

Gonna be a tough test and i fancy our chances of going trough to the final. We need to go with the same game plan and throw Drogba on up front. Kalou and Ramires out wide, Merieles Lampard and Mikel to flood the midfield. We can nick a goal tonight but i do think Barca will score first and make this a nervy incounter. We needd to hold out composure and not lose control even if we do conceed early on. If we get a fair ref tonight i will be shocked!! We need a lot of luck tonight lads but i think we will come out on top. Cahill and ramires to score tonight 2 - 2.
    Torres to score us the winner in the final :rolleyes:

No place for Mata so tonight?

I'd play him over Kalou, play him more in field when we have the ball, if hes played from right again, he wont have to worry about Puyol bombing on as much as Ramires/Cole would have to worry about Alves from the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

still dont know whether the Madrid win was good or bad for us ....

Im thinking bad as it will motivate Barça even more for tonights game ... :(

What jersey are we wearing tonight?

The away one or the 3rd choice?

Either way if go out I'm blaming the jersey.

:pac:

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    still dont know whether the Madrid win was good or bad for us ....

Im thinking bad as it will motivate Barça even more for tonights game ... :(

It should dampen their spirits but n the other hand they also know they could make history and this is their only realistic shot at a big trophy.

Its a tough one to call and we should know by about 9:45 tonight.

No place for Mata so tonight?

I'd play him over Kalou, play him more in field when we have the ball, if hes played from right again, he wont have to worry about Puyol bombing on as much as Ramires/Cole would have to worry about Alves from the other side.

No i would not start mata, he was cancelled out last week. Id start Kalou out wide right because i think he would be better at getting trough the barca defence.

I think Barca will start a 3 - 4 - 3 formation with Pique Mascherano and Puyol at back. With Kalou running at Puyol and Masch there is a good chance of him either beating them or drawing a foul.

Not a bad idea but Kalou has no brain, he'd be just as likely to cost us something as we would to put in a god performance.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

excited! but have to feckin' work this evening, think I'll be going AWOL from 7.30pm onwards..hehe!
    Come on the Blues!

Ah hate that panthro, im going to stock up on Guinness on my way home, off at 5 to watch Chelsea tv in the pre match build up and start on the cans :D

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

La Voix Du Nord have reported Lille have asked for Kevin De Bruyne on loan next season, now who are after that plays for Lille , wonder could this loan end up being part of the deal ?

La Voix Du Nord have reported Lille have asked for Kevin De Bruyne on loan next season, now who are after that plays for Lille , wonder could this loan end up being part of the deal ?

If we get Hazard and De Bruyne gets the chance a good French club in the process it would be perfect for us.

Hazard is an exceptional talent IMO and a player we sorely lack at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Aquila wrote: »
    Ill be missing the first 15 mins due to playing a a soccer match,cant wait though,imagine all the hate later lads,win or lose,ill be grabbing me popcorn lol

Ive a gym training session myself from 7-8 but I can go to an earlier one from 6-7 but I prob wont be able to move until the morning if I do that one as its a lot heavier session , decisions, decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

If we get Hazard and De Bruyne gets the chance a good French club in the process it would be perfect for us.

Hazard is an exceptional talent IMO and a player we sorely lack at the moment.

Article in the Irish Times vaugely linking him to United - http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0424/1224315119385.html

I know he's being linked everywhere the slut but should one team be in the Champs League next year and one not would that have much of an impact on a move like that or I'd suppose a 21 year old would take more long term view than one season?

Looks like AVB will be in charge at Valencia next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I suppose it will depend on the plans we have to get back into the top 4 if we dont make it this year. Am interested to see what RA does during the summer with no champions league next year.
    Article in the Irish Times vaugely linking him to United - http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0424/1224315119385.html

I know he's being linked everywhere the slut but should one team be in the Champs League next year and one not would that have much of an impact on a move like that or I'd suppose a 21 year old would take more long term view than one season?

Looks like AVB will be in charge at Valencia next season

Wait till you see how well he does there , I know were playing a lot better now but it was a shame things did not work out for AVB at the club , I still say he was the master of his own downfall ,

Firstly got the media offside fairly lively ,

Secondly he should not of given some of this team a season to prove themselves as it ultimately cost him his job , I can guarantee that if he had of shipped out 3 or 4 of the older guard at the beginning of the season he would still be in a job

Plenty of this matters,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsG25Q6NIqBRqCrD7MWcGxfwNaaEB9-LTkaF5jA9cTnG7E8U7jFqUtfNiXZg
    If someone offers you £60K* a week and UCL football and another team offer you £90K* a week without who are you going to join?

Especially if the team without UCL football will be fighting and very likely get it the next season.

* Figures are total guess work, should City/Utd/Spurs/Arsenal come in they'll offer more then the basic £60K a week I mentioned, but my point is valid I feel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement