Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

blue-army wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff.

You couldn't have scripted that. Screamer from Ramires, but what a pass from Lampard. Out of this world!
    ...and the only thing better than Torres's goal was Gary Neville's reaction to it!
    Delighted for him!

How good was Drogba tonight? Mikel has to be the most improved player in Europe at the moment, and Ivanovic was brilliant as always.

The only downside was the red card. JT - hang your head in shame. Could've cost us bigtime tonight. Complete stupidity and to come out and claim he didn't mean it - who's he trying to fool?

We're serious underdogs in the final now without Ramires, Ivanovic, Terry and Meireles but with the luck we got tonight, I'm beginning to think that our name's on the trophy.

Come on the Chels! :)

Difficult to know the biggest loss to us - Ramires, JT or Ivan. Meirles I think we can live without

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

€200 for flights to "Munich West" with Ryanair flying in that morning and out the next day. Would love to go to it and just feel the buzz.

Anybody get tickets for it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Give the job to this man

h27strwj:tw1

Pissed off with JT. No excuses for what he done.

Ramires some player. He reminds of Liverpool's Lucas, many write him off as useless at first but when they see him play a few games, his importance is realised.

Time to get Romeu back involved in the first team in time for the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Congrats lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Lads, you might like the stuff on Talksport, great stuff tonight. Jason Cundy is in good form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

dagdha wrote: »
    Oh and I blame JT for Barca going out, if he had of stayed on the pitch ye probably would'nt have put in such a shift helping each other out in defence :mad::p:p

My point earlier - could there be a scary bit of truth in it?

Raedwald wrote: »
    €200 for flights to "Munich West" with Ryanair flying in that morning and out the next day. Would love to go to it and just feel the buzz.

200 for the flights, the entire irish bailout fund for a ticket - priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Possible final team?

Cech

Bos
    Cahill (if fit)
    Luiz
    Cole

Mikel
    Romeu

Lampard

Mata
    Kalou

Drogba

Or some variation on that 11?? Also how do ye approach PL games? Ye really cannot afford to lose anyone else? On the plus side the 4 banned players can be played in every game :D. Big game next wed I cannot wait for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

D.Q wrote: »

What the hell did he do wrong there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Cech, Bos, Cahill, Luiz (Terry to appeal), Cole

Mata, Lamps, Mikel, Essien, Kalou

Drogba.

I'm sure some of the others may well submit appeals on their tickets hopefully the ref is quite lenient in his match report!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Congrats lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

any highlites up ? youtube is just full of cr*p...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

What a result tonite- its could be some season afterall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

the_monkey wrote: »
    any highlites up ? youtube is just full of cr*p...
    101 goals will have some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

its just unreal .... i remmeber this in 2008 when we beat Liverpool ... i couldn't quite believe it that we were in THE FINAL !!!!

and living here, v Barcelona ... this to me is the greatest night ever for Chelsea ........ I know i have moaned ... i know i am f*cking negative ... but I have always followed Chelsea and always will ....

Torres we love you !! legend !!!

6964929124_bf97564f7f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

A lot's been (deservedly) made of Chech and Drogba's performances, but Ashley Cole was absolutely immense over both legs. And as someone who nearly cried when he came on, Boswinga wasn't half bad either, especially after Terry's sending off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Raedwald wrote: »

I'm dying to go. Tough work convincing anyone to come though, not many Chelsea fans in Waterford!
    It'll be seriously tough to get tickets if Bayern win.

The only thing I'll say though is a Bayern ST is 240e. I know UEFA set the prices, but surely there'll be a some floating around at somewhat reasonable prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Chelsea, we love you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

566855022.jpg

Loving this! :D

• Advertisement

blue-army wrote: »
    566855022.jpg

Loving this! :D
    I know - the Sun is still only 30p and Bussell is the new Alesha.
    Who'd have thought?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Brilliant result tonight lads and fully deserved!

Enjoy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

unbelieveable result. so happy. pretty drunk now tbh. so happy we got through and delighted for torres to seal it. brilliant. CARE FREE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

i know we have alot of players missing for the final but i think this should be our team for the final.

Torres
    Torres Torres Torres Torres

Torres Torres

Torres Torres Torres

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

ikIy3pdWTX7Lf.gif

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Both chelsea goals were lovely but that ramires finish was special:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Both chelsea goals were lovely but that ramires finish was special:D

They were both excellent in very different ways, the first was so audacious and opportunistic, I'm not sure if I'd have been pissed at him for not making anything out of it in that I didn't really expect anything from it, but Ramires went for the spectacular and it payed off big time.

The second on the other hand, people will say it was easy but put yourself in Fernando Torres' shoes and consider the past 18 months you've had, it wasn't easy, not by a long shot. Imagine how different things could be had he missed that and Barca gone on to score? He would have been psychologically crushed on a whole other level to what he's experienced so far. But he didn't, he kept his head, rounded the keeper and put us in the final. Who's to say what would have happened in the remaining 2-3 mins if he'd missed, It was a massive goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

who the fcuk are Barcelonaaaaaa?!

I genuinely could not have been a happier man tonight.
    The Galway blues sang it loud and sang it proud...
    CAREFREEEEEE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hands up, who has a hangover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Meirles I think we can live without

It's really only in these two legs against Barca that I've noticed his limitations. He really is out of his depth at this level of football. I don't think he found a Chelsea player with a pass over the two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

amiable wrote: »
    Hands up, who has a hangover?

Just in the door to work, red eyes, banging head ache, dry mouth, sore throat.

Well worth it though, went in town last night with my Chelsea jersey, proud and got loads of congrulations from all fans and bumped into a small selection of Chelsea fans had a sing song inthe club stumbled in the door at 3 AM and somehow managed to stay away from Boards and posting smashed drunk.

Still hasnt sunk in I think, roll on May 19th.

Johner wrote: »
    ikIy3pdWTX7Lf.gif

I just found my new favourite Gif.

G.Neville's celebration orgasm was just the funniest thing ever, I didnt hear it until I seen it on SSN as I was shouting and dancing around my apartment after Torres rounded Valdes.

Best thing about the goal is Cole just lumps it after Torres had lost it and as Torres strolls away the lumper clearence heads his way he takes a sublime first touch to kill it into his path and as Busquets turns to see Torres going clear through he bursts a gut to catch Torres to no avail as he goes onto secure our passage to the Final in Munich.

Legend, love the celebration to and Drogba when he raced to Fernando after the final whistle.

My overall man of the whole tie is Ashley Cole though, at 31 the guy is still the best LB on the planet, Cech a close 2nd, Ivanovic was immense as was Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

What a FANTASTIC night , didn't give us a hope at 2 nil down and JT being a total and utter twit.

However that was one of the best team performances I have ever seen .

I have feeling we will miss a few of the suspended players come May 19th

Yeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa

CAREFREE !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Just delighted.

On the Torres goal:
    - have a look at his first touch after Cole's long ball to him.. Sublime.
    - How was he not offside? No replay shows where he was when Cole kicked it, but he somehow got 10 yards on the defender?

• Advertisement

Jagera wrote: »
    Just delighted.

On the Torres goal:
    - How was he not offside? No replay shows where he was when Cole kicked it, but he somehow got 10 yards on the defender?

Was in his own half before ball was played so was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

What a game lads!!!

Robbie has to get the job now!!

Terry is a massive tit, no excuses!!

What a game, i got a txt of a liverpool mate after Iniestas goal slaggin what are we playing at, only to respond with Ramires goal!!! WAHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder who we will get in the final, could be any ones game in the final and delighted Robbie got us there! No better man. Thanks to all the well wishing rival supporters its good to see its still a game at the end of the day and not too much bitterness. We done what we had to do, any one who trys to play Barca will be beaten, they are an amazing team.

We will miss our suspended players in the final thats for sure but we have really good replacements.

Cech
    Bosingwa-Cahil--Luiz--Cole
    Mikel--Lampard
    -Kalou
    Essien----Mata-
    Drogba

Hilario,Sturridge,Torres,Bertrand,Malouda,Oriel all on the bench

Come on Chelsea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jagera wrote: »
    Just delighted.

On the Torres goal:
    cgpg5 wrote: »

This. When cole lumped it, Busquets was about 35 yards out and Torres was strolling past him and latched onto the ball, Busquets didnt burst a gut until he turned and seen Torres, from the replays it looks like Busquets assumed that either Mascheramo or Puyol were behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Any word on our injuries? Specifically Cahill and Luiz.

gavredking wrote: »
    This. When cole lumped it, Busquets was about 35 yards out and Torres was strolling past him and latched onto the ball, Busquets didnt burst a gut until he turned and seen Torres, from the replays it looks like Busquets assumed that either Mascheramo or Puyol were behind him.

Also by even applying common sense it can be assumed a pro striker like Torres wouldn't be languishing in the opposition half waiting for the ball. It can be seen though that he made a good few yards to latch onto the ball which didn't land that far in the Barca half! What about the touch though.

The facebook group joke referenced a joke conversation between Puyol and Mascher where they laughed at the prospect of Torres capitalising on their helping out the attack and leaving him alone! Was funny enough tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Ah yeah, I didn't even think of that.

Also by even applying common sense it can be assumed a pro striker like Torres wouldn't be languishing in the opposition half waiting for the ball. It can be seen though that he made a good few yards to latch onto the ball which didn't land that far in the Barca half! What about the touch though.

The facebook group joke referenced a joke conversation between Puyol and Mascher where they laughed at the prospect of Torres capitalising on their helping out the attack and leaving him alone! Was funny enough tbh.

His first touch was very good, set the ball up perfectly for his stride.

If you can remember a few minutes before that he had a similar first touch that could have got him in behind Mascherano but his second touch played it all the way through to Valdes from about 30 yards out. :eek:

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2748091,00.html

17,500 lucky Chelsea fans will make the Final. :(

Good luck to all trying to get a ticket.
    Chelsea FC will receive approximately 17,500 tickets for the UEFA Champions League Final. Tickets will be priced at 70 Euros, 160 Euros, 260 Euros and 370 Euros. We have also received 200 youth package tickets for one adult and one junior (aged under 14) priced at 140 Euros. We have been allocated tickets in the north side of the stadium.

Ron Gourlay on F.F.P.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2748272,00.html

While travelling with the squad this week for the Champions League match in Barcelona, chief executive Ron Gourlay discussed another way in which UEFA is having an impact on Chelsea Football Club - the new Financial Fair Play regulations.

These are affecting all teams wishing to compete in European club football and in a Chelsea TV interview, Gourlay outlined Chelsea's moves to comply and what will change compared with the past.

Below is what was said in the interview, but first Gourlay gives the official Chelsea website his reaction to reaching this season's Champions League Final.

Ron, what does it mean to you and the club to make it past Barcelona and into the Final of the Champions League?
    For the club it is a phenomenal performance because not many people gave us a chance. It was a fantastic result for us at Stamford Bridge, we rode our luck at times, but we still had to come through 90 minutes at the Nou Camp. Going 2-0 down it made it seem as if things were not going our way but the guys dug in fantastically well and I am very proud of the performances.

Now our season keeps going until the very last game and we always gear ourselves up to going as far we can in every competition. We set our sights on the Champions League as well as the Premier League at the start of the season. To find ourselves in the Final has given the club a fabulous lift, and the fans as well. They support us up and down the country and in Europe and now we are asking them to take the extra game on board and join us in Germany, but I am sure they will be very happy to do so.
    Financially as well it is a big boost for the club. It helps us continue our investment in the team as we go forward but we still have the challenge of making sure we are in this competition next year, and that is very important. It is the old cliché, we take one game at a time, but that is what we have done in the last couple of months, tried to focus on the game ahead, and the aim now is not to start focusing on Germany, let's just think about the match against Queens Park Rangers at the weekend and then take things from there.

With Chelsea striving to qualify for the Champions League next season, we should talk about Financial Fair Play. Is it a complex or a simple issue?
    It is not too complex at all. The simple thing is we have to get the club to break even. We have to balance our football outgoings with our income generated by football activities and there are opportunities around that. It also takes into account any expenditure on academies or extending stadiums, getting more seats in, or building new stadiums. That doesn't contribute to outgoings.

If we look at English clubs, we own our grounds but in Spain and Italy for example it is different. Is it a fair system?
    There are different ways of looking at whether it is fair or not but what it certainly does is focus us clearly on how we run our business. But getting it fair across different countries around Europe will be very challenging for UEFA. We knew Financial Fair Play was coming in and we have been planning our business that way for the last two or three years.

We have benefitted so much in the last nine years from Roman Abramovich's investment, does this mean he can no longer invest in the way he has or can that be worked into the structure in Financial Fair Play?
    It restricts in certain ways how the investment is put into the football club. The fantastic investment that Roman put in when he took over the club has allowed us to build the foundation and that has set us up to take the club forward as well. We are more geared up now to tackle it than we would have been eight or nine years ago.

What it has done also is allow to us to challenge Barcelona on a level playing field despite them having a 98,000 capacity stadium and their history. Will we still be able to do that?
    We certainly have to be aware of what the other elite teams are doing across Europe. We are conscious of understanding how they run their business off the field as well as on it. The way Chelsea has geared ourselves up the last few years puts us in a good position to take the club forward but at the same time, remaining in the elite teams in the future is a challenge because it is no secret that while we are the fifth or sixth biggest club in Europe from a financial point of view, our stadium is outside the top 30 at this present time. The money generated from matchday through the stadiums is considerable. If we are not able to take the money on matchday then we have to look at other parts of the business to generate the revenues and allow us to continue the circle of success to invest into the team to give the results or entice sponsors to come to the club.

The Champions League has been so unchanging down the years - Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool for many seasons from England, but Liverpool have dropped down and Newcastle are battling to get into it. If you look at Europe, APOEL from Cyprus have made such a brilliant run this year and other clubs have made good runs. Is it changing slightly, is Europe evolving?

It is developing and we have to always be aware of what the smaller clubs are doing and conscious of what is happening around Europe. But the investment in the game doesn't seem to be dropping off so it is every bit as competitive as it was. Nobody can be complacent. As we can see across Europe there are a number of teams who have got into the Champions League for the first time in the last few years which wasn't happening four or five years ago. Nobody has a given right to be in the Champions League and we have to make sure we position ourselves every year to ensure that we are there, and we still have a difficult challenge ahead of us in the current season.

If someone sits next to the average fan in the Nou Camp, that fan would be shouting and screaming. If they sit next to the chief executive, what kind of experience would they have in the Nou Camp?

Exactly the same, screaming, shouting, pulling what hair I have got left out. It is the same for me, I am as passionate as anyone and it is very difficult sitting there. It was a huge game for the club and the way the players and backroom staff have risen to the challenge in the last few weeks has been phenomenal. We couldn't have asked much more from them and hopefully we can continue to deliver over the next few weeks and end what could be a very successful season.

more details
    UEFA FINANCIAL FAIR PLAY - A SUMMARY

Financial Fair Play (FFP) makes up part of an extensive set of criteria clubs must comply with in order to be licensed to take part in Uefa's club competitions, primarily the Champions League and Europa League.
    FFP regulations were agreed in September 2009 with Uefa declaring they had the following principle objectives:

• to introduce more discipline and rationality in club football finances
    • to decrease pressure on salaries and transfer fees and limit inflationary effect
    • to encourage clubs to compete with(in) their revenues
    • to encourage long-term investments in the youth sector and infrastructure
    • to protect the long-term viability of European club football
    • to ensure clubs settle their liabilities on a timely basis
    Central to the FFP regulations is an obligation for clubs over a fixed period of time to achieve a break-even figure when expenditure is measured against income from football-related activities.

Included in the relevant income are revenue from gate receipts, broadcasting rights, sponsorship and advertising deals plus profit made from the transfer of players.

Included in the relevant expenditure are the cost of transferring players in, salaries and employee benefits expenses and other operating expenses.
    Not included in expenses are expenditure on youth development activities, community development activities and development of infrastructure such as stadiums or training grounds. A club can spend limitless amounts on these with no risk of failure to comply with FFP.

There is an implementation period for the FFP regulations which began the summer of 2011, with the criteria that must be met altering during the implementation period.

The first season when a club could fail to be licensed to take part in European competition due to FFP is 2013/14.

For the 2013/14 season, Uefa will assess club accounts for the previous two seasons (this is known as the monitoring period). A club will only be allowed to fall below break even for the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons combined by 45 million euro.

For the 2014/15 season, the same 45 million euro deviation below break even will be allowed for a licence to be granted but this time the monitoring period over which the figure will be calculated is three seasons rather than two - the seasons being 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2013/14.
    For the 2015/16 season the figure drops to a 30 million euro deficit allowed. The monitoring period is again the previous three seasons combined, in this case 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2014/15.

The 30 million euro figure stays in place until 2018. The deviation amount for the 2018/19 season has yet to be set but it will be reduced from 30 million euro. That is therefore the first season when clubs might have to break even with no leeway given in order to comply with FFP.
    If a club reported a surplus over break even for the monitoring period prior to the one under immediate consideration then that surplus figure can count towards the latest calculation. Profits made in the recent past can help towards complying with FFP.

There is a further stipulation on the 45 or 30 million euro deviations. For those amounts to be allowable they must be made up by equity investments over the relevant monitoring period. For example for the 2013/14 season, an owner of a club can invest up to 45 million euro over the previous two seasons in exchange for more shares in the club. However if the investment is merely in the form of a loan to the club then only a 5 million euro deviation from break even is allowed over the monitoring period. The allowable figure remains at 5 million rather than 45 or 30 million euro for the subsequent monitoring periods too if it continues to be in the form of loans.

In the early stages of the implementation period, there are provisions for a club not to suffer sanctions for exceeding the acceptable deviation from break even if it reports a positive trend in the annual break-even results, and if the deficit is only due to contracts with players that were in place prior to 1 June 2010.

These provisions only apply to the first two monitoring periods, which are for licence applications for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons.

Rules are in place to guard against the figure for revenue coming into a club being artificially increased by abnormally large transactions from a related party.

For instance Uefa would not allow any additional amount above what is consider a 'fair value' for a sponsorship deal to count towards the FFP break-even calculation should the deal be with a company related to the club.

Another example in which an estimated fair value would come into play is the sale of corporate hospitality tickets, and/or use of an executive box, by a club to a related party.

A further requirement of FFP is a club must have no overdue amounts owed to football clubs, employees or tax authorities.

A Club Financial Control Panel has been set up to monitor and ensure clubs adhere to the FFP requirements.

uefa has indicated that sanctions other than refusing a licence to play in European competition may be considered for clubs failing to comply with FFP but that the refusal of a licence is definitely a possibility.

How did we go through with Ramirs at RB and Bosingwa at CB I'll never know.

Kalou was playing RM and Drogba LM.

Personally if Cahill or Luiz dont make the Final I'd play Drogba CB and Torres upfront, there would be nobody beating Drogba in the air.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Just thought it worth mentioning that here in Shanghai the talk of Drogba moving this way is as strong as it was for Anelka before him. It seems they (Shanghai Shenua are sure its happening anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

10 words going tru Torres head as he went one on one with Valdez
    oh sh*t oh sh*t oh sh*t oh sh*t thank f**k

Just thought it worth mentioning that here in Shanghai the talk of Drogba moving this way is as strong as it was for Anelka before him. It seems they (Shanghai Shenua are sure its happening anyway

Your in Shanghai I gather from your location :p

How have they taken to Anelka?

TBH if Drogba goes he owes the club nothing, hes been one of our best performers over the last number of years and hes a club legend, I hope, if he goes its on the back of a UCL victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

That was the amazing thing though.
    There was none of that - it was like the last 18 months didnt exist for him and he was the goal-scorer of old.
    He could have chosen the safe option and taken it into the corner.
    almanu wrote: »

almanu wrote: »

Then this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYw-GamQ0lpBmpZLLpVCqF4EMYiShYd17vxmNNMVLyv3GN8TWs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiz430itJ1qb6VQNFEonklwDM65wgPlAnUXwRSsmA5kQZoAZjcaQ