Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Yep but very pricey lance, not too sure what to be make of it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

LanceStorm wrote: »
    Parker? A loan makes perfect sense to me, but I dont think signing him is a good idea at all, much better younger players out there we could sign for that position surely??

Mikel, ramires, josh are the young players who can play there but we need experienced cover (remember mikel will be gone in january) so parker makes sense to me, but I would prefer us to get him on loan and not buy him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Sam Walker, one of Chelsea's Youth Keepers has signed a season long loan for the Cobblers, let one in today in a pre season friendly against a non league team, but looks like he may well be first choice at Northampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

AVB looks beyond Modric and confirms interest in Parker

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas has admitted he could be forced to look elsewhere if Tottenham refuse to budge over Luka Modric.
    The Bluesspacer.gif have already seen two bids - the second of £27million - rejected by Spurs, who insist that they are not prepared to sell the Croatiaspacer.gif international.
    Modricspacer.gif has made no secret of his desire to join the Stamford Bridge side and it is understood he has handed in a written transfer request to Tottenham.
    Villas-Boas, who was speaking in the wake of Chelsea'sspacer.gif 1-0 pre-season friendly victory over Portsmouth,spacer.gif also confirmed he is considering a move for West Ham's Scott Parker.
    But the Portuguese tactician claimed the West London side are already considering alternative options should they miss out on playmaker Modric and fellow midfielder Parker.
    Solution

Villas-Boas said: "I prefer not to comment, but you know what the situation is, it's public.
    "Spurs have a right to defend their player and property. We just have to wait."
    Andre Villas-Boas Quotes of the week
    "We understand the position that the club (Spurs) has taken, so at the moment we are scanning the market for everything, not just those two players (Modric and Parker).
    "It is one of the positions we are looking to strengthen.
    "It is just a question of finding the solution.
    "If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen."
    When asked whether a deal for Modric was just a matter of time, he retorted: "No, it does not depend on us.
    "Spurs have a right to defend their player and property. We just have to wait.
    "We respect whatever position Tottenham takes and the prices we are talking about is an incredible amount of money."
    Essien

As well as a creative midfielder, Villas-Boas admitted that he would like to add a defensive midfielder to the mix after Michael Essien's injury.
    The Ghana international has been ruled out for six months with a knee injury, which Villas-Boas admits came as a big blow to everybody at the club.
    "Michael is a fantastic person and a fantastic individual," he said.
    "He was one of the people I kept in contact with for a long time after I left and I always considered him a friend and it was a pity for him to get another injury like this.
    "I think it is a big blow because of what he represents and what he represents as a person.
    "Six months is a lot of time and for sure bearing in mind this was already a sector we were looking to strengthen we might need to move in the market."

Interesting read this looks like AVB has it all in hand.

Villas-Boas (after the game): "I'm happy for the team's attitude. Gradually we will start to play as I want, please be patient. We have a lot to improve in defence. It is perhaps our weakest line (area?) and we need to work on it to be a better team. We do not want signing after signing, we are carefully studying what we need and who would be the best players for those positions. What has happened to Essien is a shame. He is a very good player with a great personality. We are all saddened but hopefully he will recover soon. We are looking for someone to replace Essien, a forward and 1 or 2 defenders. My priority is a right sided player (forward?) and a midfielder. I am delighted with Torres and Drogba. I do not want them to leave the team and that will be critical throughout the season. McEachran? There is a young man with such a good start (?), ball control, vision, shooting. But we'll take it slowly. Modric is a unique player, one of the best in the world. But if Tottenham will not sell him, we will go for someone else."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Was wondering today myself where Gael Kakuta was and how he didnt get a run out ,

Fear not , I hear from the shed that he is with the french U20 team preparing for the u20 world cup

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

If we loose out on Aguero it will come back to haunt us !

Watching him the COPA America QF , he is some talent and would be a shame to see city get another one of our major targets , in saying that they did do us a massive favor with Robinio !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

If we loose out on Aguero it will come back to haunt us !

Watching him the COPA America QF , he is some talent and would be a shame to see city get another one of our major targets , in saying that they did do us a massive favor with Robinio !

hope to god it dosent end up with him joining them, we've tracked the guy for years, various quotes attributed to him saying he liked Chelsea, surely one of the worlds best attackers outside of a truely top club! 39 million is 11million cheaper than Torres!

• Advertisement

so just looking again at AVBs quotes, if Spurs decide that Modric is not for sale at any price then who else are we going to be looking at?

The only other midfielder we've been properly linked with is Pastore, is there anyone else that we've had proper links with this summer?

so just looking again at AVBs quotes, if Spurs decide that Modric is not for sale at any price then who else are we going to be looking at?

The only other midfielder we've been properly linked with is Pastore, is there anyone else that we've had proper links with this summer?

None that I know, Mata maybe?
    He also said that Yossa adapted well

It was a bit confusing, I've read that he was looking for "2 defenders ???" an attacking midfielder and a right side midfielder cum winger?

He said he wants Parker, but NOBODY wants him for 8 million. Even the spuds came out and said with wages and add ons, thats 30 million with no re sell option

Regarding Modric, AVB played it very cool. "If he comes, he comes if it doesnt, no big deal" and "and the prices we are talking about is an incredible amount of money.”

and also saying there are other players out there.

This was very intelligent.
    1/ It takes away any assumption that we are desperate for him and will pay any price
    2/ It sends a message to Spurs that we will walk away if need be.

So the Spuds have to weigh things up. Either get a very good price (instead of a very silly price) for an unhappy player or keep an unhappy player and have to find other funds to finance a push back into the top four.

The ball is firmly in their court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Get the feeling things will pick up next week but don't think all our signings will be completed till after we come back from Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Neymar has signed for Real according to Duncan Castles of the Times

Veles wrote: »
    Must have been a very quiet Sunday in the rumour mill

yep, I am genuinely shocked that chelsea have still not adressed the glaringly obvious deficits in the squad yet. I know they are taking there time but they are clearly also taking the pi$$. As of now our squad is nowhere near good enough to win the premiership or champions league, maybe roman needs to lower his expectations.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »

No real suprise, apparently chelsea were not prepared to go anywhere near the asking price. I am not too bothered tbh, he seems like he would be a lot of worK (with diving and been a dickhead off the field)

Few places reporting Arsenal are interested in Lukaku. I hope we sign him soon. He scored against Benfica is a friendly tonight.

cahiers_dusport Ben Shave
    Lukaku equalises for Anderlecht. Outpaces Fábio Faria, rounds Artur & tucks his shot home. That was impressive.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    No real suprise, apparently chelsea were not prepared to go anywhere near the asking price. I am not too bothered tbh, he seems like he would be a lot of worK (with diving and been a dickhead off the field)

Was very expensive alright! I'd much rather spend half the money on Lukaku.

Was very expensive alright! I'd much rather spend half the money on Lukaku.

We could get mata and lukaku for the neymar price. Its obvious which is better value but knowing chelsea we will probably spend 40mill on torres brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Based on the Copa America ye're better off without Neymar. Missed a host of sitters. Reminded me very much of Robinho in his general attitude also. Definitely not worth the €40m being quoted. I'm thinking ye dodged a bullet on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

THFC wrote: »
    Based on the Copa America ye're better off without Neymar. Missed a host of sitters. Reminded me very much of Robinho in his general attitude also. Definitely not worth the €40m being quoted. I'm thinking ye dodged a bullet on this one.

A bit overrated from what I've seen of him. You can see there's talent there, his feet are unbelieveably quick but I think he'd be better off staying in Brazil for another few years before coming to Europe. He neds to fill out an awful lot too.

Well, That should be that for Jose, esp if he does get Adebayor.
    Barca cant really afford anyone else after sanchez and fab.
    So hopefully that leaves Aquero for us!

Well, That should be that for Jose, esp if he does get Adebayor.
    Barca cant really afford anyone else after sanchez and fab.
    So hopefully that leaves Aquero for us!

We are not in for aguero, he will go to city if tevez leaves

Neymar to Real or Barca, Aguero to City...

if this was football manager id have loaded up a new game already!!

Neymar to Real or Barca, Aguero to City...

if this was football manager id have loaded up a new game already!!

Ha, my first season as Chelsea, Torres is top scorer 30 goals, Neymar and Sanchez joined in Jan. Both amazing players. Won the EPL and Carling Cup.
    Lost 3-1 to RM in the Euro Cup final. Gonna sell Anelka and the Drog now ;)

Ha, my first season as Chelsea, Torres is top scorer 30 goals, Neymar and Sanchez joined in Jan. Both amazing players. Won the EPL and Carling Cup.
    Lost 3-1 to RM in the Euro Cup final. Gonna sell Anelka and the Drog now ;)

dont be putting AVB under any unnecessary pressure with your glittering CV, getting the best out of Torres could swing it for you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

After what seems like years and years of courtship, it will be incredibly galling to see Aguero go to City. Particularly as it seems like he's be the perfect player to add that dimension we were sometimes lacking last season.

abelard wrote: »
    After what seems like years and years of courtship, it will be incredibly galling to see Aguero go to City. Particularly as it seems like he's be the perfect player to add that dimension we were sometimes lacking last season.

Well, he's not there yet. Maybe Tevez will tell him theres only 1 cinema in Manchester! ;)

Squad for the Asia tour

Petr Cech, Henrique Hilario, Ross Turnbull, Jamal Blackman, Jose Bosingwa, Paulo Ferreira, Branislav Ivanovic, Alex, John Terry, Slobodan Rajkovic, Nathaniel Chalobah, Ashley Cole, Patrick van Aanholt, Ryan Bertrand, John Mikel Obi, Josh McEachran, Frank Lampard, Yossi Benayoun, Billy Clifford, Yuri Zhirkov, Florent Malouda, Salomon Kalou, Daniel Sturridge, Nicolas Anelka, Didier Drogba, Fernando Torres.
    Important absentees include Gael Kakuta (international duty with the France under-20s) as well as Brazil duo David Luiz and Ramires, who've just been knocked out of the Copa America. There've already been a few cuts amongst the youngsters too, with Tomas Kalas, Aliu Djalo and Jacob Mellis all failing to make the grade after appearing in the 3-0 against Wycombe. Several young players continue on, however - most notably Billy Clifford and Jamal Blackman, whose presence may have been guaranteed after a string of bad mistakes from both Ross Turnbull and Henrique Hilario in last weekend's game against Portsmouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Isn't Kalas with the Czech youths?

• Advertisement

Reports on twitter claim we've bid 40 mil for Sanchez, please let one of these deals actually happen!

smuckers wrote: »
    Reports on twitter claim we've bid 40 mil for Sanchez, please let one of these deals actually happen!

god yes, which twitter?

I reckon search Sanchez, Chelseavera posted said it on the shed chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Regarding Modric, AVB played it very cool. "If he comes, he comes if it doesnt, no big deal" and "and the prices we are talking about is an incredible amount of money.”

and also saying there are other players out there.

This was very intelligent.
    1/ It takes away any assumption that we are desperate for him and will pay any price
    2/ It sends a message to Spurs that we will walk away if need be.

So the Spuds have to weigh things up. Either get a very good price (instead of a very silly price) for an unhappy player or keep an unhappy player and have to find other funds to finance a push back into the top four.

The ball is firmly in their court
    I'm very impressed with AVB's cool demeanour. Chelsea need a period of calm, and a firm break with the loadsamoney culture.

If Spurs opt to play silly buggers, they risk unsettling a player in a key position. They could drop a bagful of points early in the season, end up having to sell him and recruit someone in January in a hurry and fail to qualify for the ECL again.

My guess now is they'll sell Modric for £32 million tops (Having gone 22-27-30).

Anyone in need of a job and a huge Chelsea fan to boot ?

http://www.reed.co.uk/job/details.aspx?jobid=20421972&from=17&WT.mc_id=JobAlert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

What would the rest of ye think about playing Luiz as DM to cover for Essien?

I actually think that he would be better there than at CB in any case, but now that the position is temporarily open I definitely think he should be given a run there.

His energy and aggression are perfectly suited to the role, it would also give him greater license to rampage forward (which I personally can't get enough of). In defense on a good day he is amazing, but on a bad day he can be a liability due to his overwhelming urge to lunge into tackles. So if he's going to make a habit of conceding fouls I'd rather he did it in midfield as opposed to in the box or as the last man.

It all depends on what defenders we have at the club next season but surely we should be able to put together a back 4 without him. I just don't like the idea of splashing out on cover when A) they probably won't be good enough and / or B) we may only need them for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Essien wrote: »
    What would the rest of ye think about playing Luiz as DM to cover for Essien?

I actually think that he would be better there than at CB in any case, but now that the position is temporarily open I definitely think he should be given a run there.

His energy and aggression are perfectly suited to the role, it would also give him greater license to rampage forward (which I personally can't get enough of). In defense on a good day he is amazing, but on a bad day he can be a liability due to his overwhelming urge to lunge into tackles. So if he's going to make a habit of conceding fouls I'd rather he did it in midfield as opposed to in the box or as the last man.

It all depends on what defenders we have at the club next season but surely we should be able to put together a back 4 without him. I just don't like the idea of splashing out on cover when A) they probably won't be good enough and / or B) we may only need them for a few months.

I've been saying ti for months to play Luiz at DM. His passing, tackling, reading of the game are exceptional and he has the ability to get around fairly easily. Perfect for DM.

We have cover at the back IMO. We have 2 from 3 of JT, Alex, Ivanovic for CB, if needs must we have Bosingwa for RB and Cole, Van Aanholt, Bertrand at LB.

We dont need a new DM IMO, and thats why we are focusing on Modric.

With a potential midfield of :

DM : Mikel, Luiz,
    CM : Lamps, Ramires, Malouda, Zhirkov, Josh McEchran
    AM : Modric, Benayoun

Looks good to me on paper anyway. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

modric vs pastore

biggest cons i see for pastore is the price to be honest

as this article says modric might block chances for josh

• Advertisement

^

Decent article. Sums up the situation pretty well between both players. I thin k Pastore will end up at AC Milan and getting him would be a shock for me anyway.

Modric seems to be just a matter of time and money at this stage for us.

Both players will undoubtly block Josh Mac's run into the 1st team IMO which would be a bad thing unless he went on loan like Wilshere and got good game time and developed more.

gavredking wrote: »
    I've been saying ti for months to play Luiz at DM. His passing, tackling, reading of the game are exceptional and he has the ability to get around fairly easily. Perfect for DM.

We have cover at the back IMO. We have 2 from 3 of JT, Alex, Ivanovic for CB, if needs must we have Bosingwa for RB and Cole, Van Aanholt, Bertrand at LB.

Dont forget Slobodan Rajkovic. I know we have plenty of cover, but he could make the squad. At 22, its make or break time for him, and he has impressed so far
    I still think Josh is just too young at this stage to figure much

Slobodan Rajkovic can't seem to the get a work permit in order for him to play in PL.

Dont forget Slobodan Rajkovic. I know we have plenty of cover, but he could make the squad. At 22, its make or break time for him, and he has impressed so far
    I still think Josh is just too young at this stage to figure much

Well going on what AVB has done in pre-season to date its going to be a 4-3-3 formation so Ican see Josh getting some good game time, albeit from the bench as you can imagine our 3 man midfield will be rotate mainly between Malouda/Lamps/Ramires/Mikel/Modric (maybe).

Yes Josh is till young but its perfect opportuntiy to risk him, hes young and fearless and always great on the ball, rarely gives it away.

If I was to be bold I'd suggest a potential line up of

Cech
    Luiz Alex Terry Cole

Ramires Lamps MacEchran

Anelka Modric

Torres

It just looks good and accomadiates Josh, although you could easily swap him for Mikel/Malouda, as well as swapping Modric or Anelka for Kalou or Sturridge.

Anyway I know its from goal (http://www.goal.com/...er-business-in-) but...........

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas plans to do ‘proper business’ in the transfer market after Far East tour
    The Blues boss has had enough of Luka Modric questions for the moment, but insists he will enter the market for new players once the club have completed their pre-season tour
    By Miles Chambers
    19 Jul 2011 09:02:00

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas says he intends to do “proper business” in the transfer market once the club's pre-season tour of the Far East is over.

The London club arrived in Malaysia ahead of the Barclays Asian Cup and will spend two weeks training and playing matches for their fans based abroad.

The Portuguese coach, 33, joined Chelsea last month from Porto but has yet to make any high-profile signings since his arrival, although the club are interested in Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric.

When asked about the 25-year-old Croatian, the Blues boss was quoted as saying by The Mirror: “I think I have answered that question enough.

“We do not have the same sense of urgency that you are trying to put on me. It is a big 15 days and then we will go to the market and do some proper business.

“The market has plenty to offer. We have to decide on our needs but we will not be putting players to the test because they are top quality. By the time we go to the market we will know exactly what we need."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gavredking wrote: »

I agree about Luiz and said it last season. For now he's a bit impulsive to be playing centre back. There's buckets of raw talent there, but over a season I think he'd look good for long perios but also make lots of mistakes. He has the energy and the football skills to play DM no bother and as he gets more experienced he could be moved back to the defence again.

• Advertisement

palermo president saying a big european club have made a bid of 45 million yoyos for pastore...i know he's been full of it recently but i hope its us

linkage

flahavaj wrote: »
    I agree about Luiz and said it last season. For now he's a bit impulsive to be playing centre back. There's buckets of raw talent there, but over a season I think he'd look good for long perios but also make lots of mistakes. He has the energy and the football skills to play DM no bother and as he gets more experienced he could be moved back to the defence again.

Just watch the Fulham game for evidence of his crazyness, he was easily MoTM and looked like he'd been playing in the EPL for years, controlled the back line, sprung counter attacks, strode out with the ball, played pin point accurate long balls to Torres to beat the band had the best executed over head kick that season ( Sorry Rooney, you shinned yours :P ) and then he nearly costs us the game by diving in on Dempsey who was going nowhere in the last minute of the game. :pac: He can be very Jackal and Hyde and hopefully he controls it in future or as been said plays at DM where he can throw himself about without as many consequences.
    brmccfc wrote: »
    palermo president saying a big european club have made a bid of 45 million yoyos for pastore...i know he's been full of it recently but i hope its us

linkage

I realy have given up on Pastore and anything that Palermo say, according to them theirs a top club in every week with a bid and its always 40,45 Million. I can smell BS anyway.

I realy have given up on Pastore and anything that Palermo say, according to them theirs a top club in every week with a bid and its always 40,45 Million. I can smell BS anyway.

ya thats true. wishful thinkin doesnt hurt i suppose

brmccfc wrote: »
    ya thats true. wishful thinkin doesnt hurt i suppose

I'd love Pastore but Palermo seem to be blowing alot of hot air over him and any potential interest.

Sgt Pepper. 64 linked us too also............

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas plans to do ‘proper business’ in the transfer market after Far East tour
    “We do not have the same sense of urgency that you are trying to put on me. It is a big 15 days and then we will go to the market and do some proper business.

“The market has plenty to offer. We have to decide on our needs but we will not be putting players to the test because they are top quality. By the time we go to the market we will know exactly what we need."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I'm probably just being a downer, but unfortunately I get the feeling that by the time another 14 days have passed that Aguero, Sanchez, Neymar, Sneijder, Mata and maybe even Pastore will have found new clubs or be very close to it.

I still think Lukaku is a dead cert, and who knows with Modric, but I really would have liked one of the above too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement