Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think we DO need a new striker.
    Even Berba at Man U managed 20 goals. All 3 of their main strikers did.
    Big factor for them winning it especially when you think what a poor midfield they have
    Ours were lucky to get into double figures.
    You cant just blame the service.
    Berba was mainly a sub FFS.
    As it seems we are def keeping Torres and Drogba. Then we have to replace either Anelka or Kalou. (Danny will either go on loan, be sold/swapped or get his chance from the bench)

Berbatov got alot of his goals in patches, he got 4/5 against Blackburn, 3 against Liverpool sure thats nearly half his seasons tally in 2 games.
    He wasnt their best striker and it showed towards the end of the season when he was left out for Chico.

In saying that, I dont see Chico getting as many goals this season.

amiable wrote: »
    Drogba would probably have scored 20+ goals last season only for the malaria?

Probably, and factor in the arrival of Torres, that didnt help Drogbas goal scoring chances either.
    RasTa wrote: »
    What's your depth like? i.e Cole and Terry get injured. Who has left so far from last year?

I think you need 5-6 players to be challenging for league and CL

Nah, not a chance do we need 5 or 6.

What I reckon we need is a CM and a wide man.

why do you reckon we need 5 or 6?

Terry Tibbs has pointed out the squad, dont see much wrong with it, we have a lot of players that can play multiple positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

I've never heard of

Bertrand
    Van Annholt
    Rajković
    Kalas

They kids?

I don't think McEachran,Essien, Kakuta will feature much this season. That's 7 players out and you've doubled up on postions.

Obviously not 5-6 Modric signings but you need more experience in depth to be challenging.
    Van Annholt is ready. McEachran is ready and will feature. We need a right sided winger and Modric/Pastore to win it all.

I've never heard of

Bertrand
    Van Annholt
    Rajković
    Kalas

They kids?

I don't think McEachran,Essien, Kakuta will feature much this season. That's 7 players out and you've doubled up on postions.

Obviously not 5-6 Modric signings but you need more experience in depth to be challenging.

The young guys wont feature much but Van Aanholt and Bertrand will fight for back up LB behind Cole and will be on the bench.

Kalas and Rajkovic will be back up CBs behind JT, ALex, Luiz and Ivanovic and will be called upon when needed but shouldnt get much game time in the EPL.

Josh will feature plenty, Essien is crocked, Kakauta will be 6th choice front man and will probably go on loan, also there will be a one or two signings and a few left go on loan and trasnfered, its not even August, I wouldnt worry at the moment.

Apart from Man City, we have probably the next biggest sqaud of players to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

gavredking wrote: »
    Nah, not a chance do we need 5 or 6.

What I reckon we need is a CM and a wide man.

why do you reckon we need 5 or 6?

Terry Tibbs has pointed out the squad, dont see much wrong with it, we have a lot of players that can play multiple positions.

It will be the first season in the league for two 20 year olds mentioned. Mistakes will be made, factor in injuries. The squad was thin last year as well right?

It will be the first season in the league for two 20 year olds mentioned. Mistakes will be made, factor in injuries. The squad was thin last year as well right?

Id have no problem playing Josh, hes abale for this level and making mistakes is aprt of the lerarning curve, is better they are made in August and can be made up over the next 30 + games rather then at the end of the season where every point counts.

I should have mentioned I think we need a RB also as Ferrira is well past it.

The squad qwas weak in CM as it one time we had Lamps, Benyaoun, Essien all out together or at different stages, thats why Josh got games and how Ramires flourished. Now if we add to that midfield, which it looks like we will, CM wont be a worry once we add a bit of quality, IMO of course. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Wasn't necessarily thin, just bad injuries to two of the best players we have took their toll. Lampard had a bad one and Drogba was drained after Malaria. Malouda fell apart, Torres failed, Alex was missing alot, Benayoun out for ages, few bad results and heads dropped. Mikel and Kalou were playing very well and Carlo wouldn't start them, dropped them in favour of under performers.

We are missing one or two players but that is in order to dominate. We can certainly challenge for the league comfortably and have a very good squad. Even one new midfielder will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

We were a little short at the back last season but signing luiz gives us 4 top quality CB's so thats ok, we are working on a creative midfielder pastore/modric, we have bid for/in negotiations for lukaku, romeu is about to sign and it would not suprise me if we added another signing to that. Our squad is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We are missing one or two players but that is in order to dominate. We can certainly challenge for the league comfortably and have a very good squad. Even one new midfielder will suffice.

If you say so... I'll be back offering wagers if you only sign one more midfielder.

If you say so... I'll be back offering wagers if you only sign one more midfielder.

What if we sign no midfielders :p

Cool, wagers are always fun either way, ya gonna offer the wagers at the of the Trasnfer window or before the start of the season?

• Advertisement

I actually think we could do with slimming down the squad a bit, do we really need fereira (really???) and anelka (especially if we get lukaku) and turnbull is surely a waste of space. And david cameroon (kalou) can fook off too

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I actually think we could do with slimming down the squad a bit, do we really need fereira (really???) and anelka (especially if we get lukaku) and turnbull is surely a waste of space. And david cameroon (kalou) can fook off too

If its trimming you want then youve named 3 players that could go very easily, Anelka, Kalou and Turnbull would probably make us about 15 Million between them and Ferrira can just get left behind in Asia at this rate. :P

Maybe sell Zhirkov too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

We WILL be signing at least one midfielder. AVB has said so :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well was everyone shocked Pastore wasnt signed this morning ?

His chairman whoring him out left , right and center !

We really need to ship some dead wood and fast , not even a hint of a rumor the last week or two in relation to some of our players moving on.

Hopefully after the Asia tour we will see some action.

Chelsea sign Pastore:D

Oh wait no, sorry

Well was everyone shocked Pastore wasnt signed this morning ?

His chairman whoring him out left , right and center !

We really need to ship some dead wood and fast , not even a hint of a rumor the last week or two in relation to some of our players moving on.

Hopefully after the Asia tour we will see some action.

Well that Palermo chairman is really trying to get the best price for Pastore and hes basically shilled him to everyone with a sizeable wallet but there has been no moves as yet, I can see a 25-30 Million deal and add ons taking Pastore though. ( something similar to Alexis Sanchez Barca deal )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Chelsea sign Pastore:D

Oh wait no, sorry

I was on the mobile version when I saw this ago awhile ago my heart was racing then somehow I saw the end of it... :(

Meglamonia wrote: »
    I was on the mobile version when I saw this ago awhile ago my heart was racing then somehow I saw the end of it... :(

Should have included this in the post :p

[Embedded Image Removed]

Its a
    troll face

:pac:

In the absence of the Monkey, I will bring my own sense of doom and gloom.
    We will NOT win the league this season.
    A number of factors:

New manager, still inexperienced. I know Carlo won it in his first year, but he was more experienced and lightning cant strike twice. Plus he is under incredible pressure, more than he would have ever experienced.

Still pretty much the same and aging squad. They are 2 years older from when Carlo won it and AVB says you rotate, but with who exactly?
    Anelka and Drogba are just too old now. Torres - still saying "I will score"
    Kalou, still needs 20 chances and Danny still runs around like a headless chicken too much

Our Midfield is worse!

That leaves kids, but apart from Josh. Just not good enough.

The only place we have a decent balance is in defense.

Even with new blood, they have to bed in and time is running out.

IMO We could win a cup and challenge for the league, but I cant see us sustaining it.
    We are in full rebuild mode and it wont take off until next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

A number of factors:

New manager, still inexperienced. I know Carlo won it in his first year, but he was more experienced and lightning cant strike twice. Plus he is under incredible pressure, more than he would have ever experienced.

Still pretty much the same and aging squad. They are 2 years older from when Carlo won it and AVB says you rotate, but with who exactly?
    Kalou, still needs 20 chances and Danny still runs around like a headless chicken too much

Our Midfield is worse!

IMO We could win a cup and challenge for the league, but I cant see us sustaining it.

I think we will win the league this year,even if this is more or less the same squad of last year that came close to taking it back off united near the end of the season.We should of won the league last season bar the Ray Wilkins departure and United luckily drawing games such as the one in Villa park they robbed Villa that day and the time we drew with Everton at home when Terry thought he'd got the winner with a minute to go!

You're right about our attack Anelka is well past it and I think Drogba has to leave to see the real Torres but that's not gonna happen this season.For the midfield it's not as bad as you're making out Benayoun is back this time,McEachran a year older and Ramires adjusted to the premiership.

Come onnnn believe in AVB :pac:

A number of factors:

Our Midfield is worse!

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROZ3or3k7COoa5edktOXt8iqX6iZL4qHotJuWvtANOc55UjmuICJgj8Vvh0A

Aaaaaaanyway, if you are serious Sgt Pepper, what I will point out is under Mourihno, Scolari, Ancelotti and even Grant, the team started like a house on fire.

This squad will be gunning to show they can win the EPL and CL this year, the hunger and desire will be more so then any year.

Anumber of reasons I think why this is :

1) Age - Players are coming to an end of their career, Drogba, Lamps, Anelka, JT, they will want more success and it could very well be their last realsitic chance of it.

2) Transisation period - The club is goign through a transsiational period, with youth coming in and been bought instead of expensive stars and mercenaries. Any player in the squad will be fighting for their positions and future.

3) Man City and contenders - Another contender to the title, pushing the realsitic teams that can win the title to 4 ( City, Utd, Us, Arsenal) and 2 teams that are close ( Spurs, Liverpool ). The EPL is easily the most competitive league on the planet in terms of potetinal winners and with City emerging in recent seasons. I can see it goign down to us, city and utd this year.

4) Villas-Boas - He is young, thats nothing to be feared in that, in fact its to be applauded. Just because people consider this his first real " big time club " cant dis-credit what he achieved at Porto. The man is a football mastermind, like when we signed Mourihno, we have bagged the next upcoming mangerial wonder coming through.

I will go out on a limb and predict the title, no CL this year but definetly the title.

In Villas-Boas we trust.

Torres to get 20 + goals, Josh to shine, Cech to be immense and Luiz to be POTY :cool:

• Advertisement

The thought of watching Anelka wide right (or in the channel as AVB puts it) brings on a deep, deep sigh :(

The thought of watching Anelka wide right (or in the channel as AVB puts it) brings on a deep, deep sigh :(

Agreed, but AVB looks to be favouring Anelka out wide, its more balance if he played Malouda and Kalou and both stuck out wide, but Anelka coming in from the right can be devasting too, he offers little width but hes been a great servant for us when used anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

smuckers wrote: »

Lol, isnt transfer news central a couple of teenagers having a laugh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Its a live chat forum most it is prob BS.

Lol, isnt transfer news central a couple of teenagers having a laugh?!

This ^
    smuckers wrote: »
    Its a live chat forum most it is prob BS.

And this ^

But rumours are always fun either way and give us something to moan/talk about.

Looking forward to some real action tomorrow.
    Then we will have a good idea of the state of things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Looking forward to some real action tomorrow.
    Then we will have a good idea of the state of things!

are we not playing kitchee tmro?

hopefully the game after will show how ready we are and if we need to make signings!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well here is one of our two signings in the bag :rolleyes:

Courtois deal completed ,

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2402319,00.html

Straight back out on loan to AM , please let there be subcontext on this and we whip Aguero on City :D

Well here is one of our two signings in the bag :rolleyes:

Courtois deal completed ,

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2402319,00.html

Straight back out on loan to AM , please let there be subcontext on this and we whip Aguero on City :D

If Aguero isnt a Man City player by the end of the week I'd be very surprised. Looks all but wrapped up at this stage.

• Advertisement

I think todays friendly is live on sky sports 1 (I think) so I can watch it and then complain afterwards at the lack of wingers and creativity in our expensivly assembled side, woohoo.

I think todays friendly is live on sky sports 1 (I think) so I can watch it and then complain afterwards at the lack of wingers and creativity in our expensivly assembled side, woohoo.

It sure is, think coverage starts at 1pm and K/O is 1:30pm.

I'm going to have to record it, stupid work :P

Gutted to think that Aquero is signing for City.
    Must be the wages otherwise surely other clubs, even RM or Man u would have been in for him. Seems so straight forward as well.
    Just hope the rumours of Pastore are true and its gone all quiet on the Modric front

Have to say I am really unhappy with chelsea in this transfer window tbh. I am not looking for the club to spend crazy money but we do need some players and badly imo. I hear affelay from barca is avaliable for 5 mill, why are we not in for him, we need a winger. Typical chelsea throwing huge bids around the place but failing to actualy secure the players we need.

With our squad as it stands its difficult to see us getting in the top 2 in the premier league or past the QF of the champions league atm and that is no reflection on the manager, I would say the same if mourinhno was in charge.

The manager is not the problem its our completely lob sided and dysfunctional squad. Its clear that our transfer strategy has been mis managed over the last few years, ridiculous that we have only 1 winger in our squad. We are painfully slow and ineffective in the transfer market, we should have our targets and go for them. I also dont buy the idea that AVB needs to access the squad first, he knew what we needed the day he signed for us.

Gourlay is an idiot, he says we will sign 2 players in 10 days. One of them was courtois who we loan out immediately. We need first team players ffs. Not hopefull about the new season at all atm and I am probably the most pessimistic I have been since roman bought the club about our chances. Of course that will all change if we sign players for the first team but I have my doubts that we will do anything significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

ooh affellay id take him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gutted about Aguero after being after him for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Johner wrote: »

That pretty much sums it up. Had pretty much given up hope on signing him since we've shown no interest in him this window. However, for such a good prospect, and a target we had been looking at and seemingly even put bids on at various stages, it's galling to see City snap him up so easily.

Have to say I am really unhappy with chelsea in this transfer window tbh. I am not looking for the club to spend crazy money but we do need some players and badly imo. I hear affelay from barca is avaliable for 5 mill, why are we not in for him, we need a winger. Typical chelsea throwing huge bids around the place but failing to actualy secure the players we need.

With our squad as it stands its difficult to see us getting in the top 2 in the premier league or past the QF of the champions league atm and that is no reflection on the manager, I would say the same if mourinhno was in charge.

The manager is not the problem its our completely lob sided and dysfunctional squad. Its clear that our transfer strategy has been mis managed over the last few years, ridiculous that we have only 1 winger in our squad. We are painfully slow and ineffective in the transfer market, we should have our targets and go for them. I also dont buy the idea that AVB needs to access the squad first, he knew what we needed the day he signed for us.

Gourlay is an idiot, he says we will sign 2 players in 10 days. One of them was courtois who we loan out immediately. We need first team players ffs. Not hopefull about the new season at all atm and I am probably the most pessimistic I have been since roman bought the club about our chances. Of course that will all change if we sign players for the first team but I have my doubts that we will do anything significant.

Im not worried what so ever about the lack of transfers at this moment and time , even without bringing in players we still have a good side .

I have faith in AVB and in him getting the best out of what we have in place also in introducing some youth/energy into the squad.

We need players like Anelka,Drogba,Kalou,Malouda,Lampard giving it there all again , the all looked uninterested last season for what ever reason.

Torres as poor a season he had , gave a 110% in every game which was refreshing to see.

There is arguably competition for every spot on the pitch ( A lot of the youths I am counting into this)

I dont think AVB will have the usual untouchables stance with the like of Lampard and CO and every man on the pitch will have to earn his space on the team sheet.

In terms of creativity, we have a great little player by the name of Gael Kakuta which given a really good crack of the whip will make it, an absolute shame this U-20 world cup was on this season and he has basically missed all the pre season.

Just on what someone posted on affellay, would not of minded a sneaky bid on him especially for the money thats been talked about.

Chelsea dont need a radical over haul just a few tweaks to the engine.

IMO we should not be going out and buying 3-6 new players every season , one or two new faces would keep the balance correct.

Terry - Brumma
    Ashley - PVA or RB
    Ivan- Magney,Clifford,Rajkovic, Chalobh
    Alex- Luiz or any of the above
    Paulo - (dead wood needs to be gone )any of the above
    Essien-Luiz or Conor Clifford for the future, Ramieres,Mikel
    Lampard- Josh
    Anelka-Mellis,Kalou,Kakuta,Zhirkov
    Drogba-Danny Stur,Mitrovic

As I said just phase out one or two of the older player year by year and we will fine.

No drastic changes required , nothing to see here :D

Johner wrote: »

I wont even hear a whisper of this talk of Aguero after Fernando bangs in 30 + in all comps this season !

• Advertisement

For anyone looking to catch Gael Kakuta in Action

7 30/07 23:00 Bogota Mali - Korea Republic
    8 31/07 02:00 Bogota Colombia - France
    19 02/08 23:00 Bogota France - Korea Republic
    20 03/08 02:00 Bogota Colombia - Mali
    30 06/08 02:00 Cali France - Mali
    32 06/08 02:00 Bogota Colombia - Korea Republic

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Will be an interesting season for Gael

I wont even hear a whisper of this talk of Aguero after Fernando bangs in 30 + in all comps this season !

This is true, Torres will be a beast next year but.............

IMO we should not be going out and buying 3-6 new players every season , one or two new faces would keep the balance correct.

Terry - Brumma
    Ashley - PVA or RB
    Lampard- Josh

As I said just phase out one or two of the older player year by year and we will fine.

............. You then didnt feature said Torres in your above team, for shame.

LYNCH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pac:

For anyone looking to catch Gael Kakuta in Action

7 30/07 23:00 Bogota Mali - Korea Republic
    8 31/07 02:00 Bogota Colombia - France
    19 02/08 23:00 Bogota France - Korea Republic
    20 03/08 02:00 Bogota Colombia - Mali
    30 06/08 02:00 Cali France - Mali
    32 06/08 02:00 Bogota Colombia - Korea Republic

He was on fire for the France U-18/19 last summer so he could very easily do the same this year.

If he does, he will get another chance with AVB I reckon.

gavredking wrote: »
    He was on fire for the France U-18/19 last summer so he could very easily do the same this year.

If he does, he will get another chance with AVB I reckon.

kakuta is one player I reckon should be given more of a chance. But he seems to lack a bit of confidence last year at fulham, I remeber him coming on for us the previous year and was by far our most creative player that time, he is a serious talent.

Im not worried what so ever about the lack of transfers at this moment and time , even without bringing in players we still have a good side .

I have faith in AVB and in him getting the best out of what we have in place also in introducing some youth/energy into the squad.

We need players like Anelka,Drogba,Kalou,Malouda,Lampard giving it there all again , the all looked uninterested last season for what ever reason.

Torres as poor a season he had , gave a 110% in every game which was refreshing to see.

There is arguably competition for every spot on the pitch ( A lot of the youths I am counting into this)

I dont think AVB will have the usual untouchables stance with the like of Lampard and CO and every man on the pitch will have to earn his space on the team sheet.

In terms of creativity, we have a great little player by the name of Gael Kakuta which given a really good crack of the whip will make it, an absolute shame this U-20 world cup was on this season and he has basically missed all the pre season.

Just on what someone posted on affellay, would not of minded a sneaky bid on him especially for the money thats been talked about.

Chelsea dont need a radical over haul just a few tweaks to the engine.

Terry - Brumma
    Ashley - PVA or RB
    Lampard- Josh

Sorry have to disagree. Some of the kids simply arent good enough or are light years away from being ready
    We DO need drastic surgery to win the league, and not just challenge for it.

I can just hear Mourinho commenting on us in the Champions League
    "It is still my team" "No problem, I know how to beat them"

We dont seem to be able to attract or seal the deal like we used to (Reports in france that Pastore prefers PSV) And are now linked with Parker, Johnson FFS.
    The oldies wont be able to play every game to a high level and AVB has said he will rotate, but I say again, rotate with who exactly?

• Advertisement

Sorry have to disagree. Some of the kids simply arent good enough or are light years away from being ready

We dont seem to be able to attract or seal the deal like we used to (Reports in france that Pastore prefers PSV) And are now linked with Parker, Johnson FFS.The oldies wont be able to play every game to a high level and AVB has said he will rotate, but I say again, rotate with who exactly?

johnson is a serious talent, would walk into our first team tbh:confused:

We dont seem to be able to attract or seal the deal like we used to (Reports in france that Pastore prefers PSV) And are now linked with Parker, Johnson FFS.
    The oldies wont be able to play every game to a high level and AVB has said he will rotate, but I say again, rotate with who exactly?

I pressume you mean PSG??

Well if Pastore wants money, he can go to PSG, and by all accounts Paris would be more glamorous then London but we can offer more as a team.

So its success or lifestyle.

On Mourihno, I think no matter who he plays in the CL this year he will win the thing, I think Real are to strong, their squad is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Even Barca?

johnson is a serious talent, would walk into our first team tbh:confused:

Why, just because he is a winger? Why is he not a nailed on starter for Man City then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Liveonlinefooty + work = :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement