Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Probably our first proper manager since Mourinho

That makes no sense??!?!? What was double winning Ancellotti?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

JPA wrote: »
    That makes no sense??!?!? What was double winning Ancellotti?

Underappreciated by the looks of it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Probably our first proper manager since Mourinho

Ancelotti? Double in his first season?

Short memories some Chelsea fans have,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Of course Carlo is remembered for the double.
    But I do not believe he was the best option long term for us, and Roman was partly to blame for that
    Let me explain:

Unfortunately he was not tactically aware and all too often would just be seen shrugging his shoulders. He had no real plan B
    He was in charge when we went on our worst run since Roman took over.
    When he had the chance to shake things up by starting some of the kids such as Danny, who went on to prove he was ready at Bolton, he failed to do so even repeatedly starting a clearly not fit Drogba.
    When Wilkins was sacked, there was a not a sign of him standing up to Roman
    He was partly brought in for his CL experience, but failed miserably against Utd, even benching our most in form striker in favour of our most out of form one.
    In his book, Preferisco la Coppa, he spoke about how Roman moaned why he did not have a team playing beautiful football and Carlo replied that Chelsea was too phyiscal and needed more quality in midfield. He then went on to buy Ramires - more of the same, instead of some creative flair.
    Personally I also thought it was classless of him revealling details of his meetings with Roman, like some WAG's kiss and tell
    You also have to wonder just how much Wilkins helped Carlo when doing the double, because our form did dip so much when he was gone.
    Like we saw with Grant, the players will get you so far anyway, but a manager comes into his own when things arent going so well

AVB looks much more tactically aware and brings Mourinho's attention to detail with a more expansive style to the table.

Carlo did a great job and his biggest asset was his character. He never stooped to play games like Fergie and Arsene have. He was almost too much a nice guy and needed a bit of steel imo. But long term, I dont think the squad would have ever developed. He would never have taken the risk. And Chelsea need a complete reboot to compete.

PVB may not achieve a double but he has shown he is not afraid to clear out the old members of a squad, he is tactically aware and goes in well prepared, giving the players confidence. He knows as we all do, what can happen if you fail. He's not a stand in and not old school, but a real manager on his way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

PVB may not achieve a double but he has shown he is not afraid to clear out the old members of a squad, he is tactically aware and goes in well prepared, giving the players confidence. He knows as we all do, what can happen if you fail. He's not a stand in and not old school, but a real manager on his way up.

The question is though, will your trigger-happy owner give him the time to grow into this role?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

According to twitter sources our signings are going to include Falcao, Moutihno and Neymsr. £80 million qouted.

Also got to disagree with ya Sgt. Carlo was brillant and shoulda got more time but Villas Boad is more then adequate replacement in my opinion.

Cant wait for more signings :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Tbf carlo was never the man to bring chelsea forward. He took over an aged squad and got the best out of it but anyone who watched the team week in week out knows chelsea lack motivation, movement, creativity and direction this year and we needed a young dynamic coach to bring us forward.

Fans of other clubs say carlo should not have been sacked but imo thats because they can see chelsea have become easy in the last season under him and we have no clear direction,he looked like a man who had run out of ideas.

Imagine if chelsea only gave carlo a 2 year contract and we decided not to renew it this year instead of sacking him, most people would have said fair enough, that chelsea want a fresh start with a young manager.

Anyways hopefully the fact that villas boas cost 13mill will persuade the board to have faith in him a give him a real chance and also spend a few more bob. If we sign exciting young players (like neymar) it will save us money in the long run because we wont have to buy every season to replace the old dead wood.

So excited about the coming season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

PVB may not achieve a double

Then he's gonna end up fired like all the others isn't he? He is a great acquisition for ye but Chelsea is the wrong club for a young talented manager lookig to build a long lasting legacy IMHO. If he doesn't deliver a CL within a couple of years he's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

flahavaj wrote: »
    Then he's gonna end up fired like all the others isn't he? He is a great acquisition for ye but Chelsea is the wrong club for a young talented manager lookig to build a long lasting legacy IMHO. If he doesn't deliver a CL within a couple of years he's history.

I agree but if you watch the interview I posted earlier on in this thread he says he does not want to stay at a club for more than 2 or 3 years. Interestingly he also says that chelsea were correct to sack mourinhno when they did???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

flahavaj wrote: »

I disagree, if Chelsea were looking for a short term solution they would have just went for Hiddink, a man who should have brought us to the final, won the majority of his league games while in charge and also won the FA cup. But they have taken a risk and appointed a young manager with loads of potential. He hasn't even managed one game in the CL so I'm sure they're aware they can't expect instant success there. I mean what manager ever won it on their first attempt?

Carlo was great for us in the first season, not much changed though, the team began to stagnate and he lacked the backbone to change anything, for Chelsea to move forward he had to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lukker- wrote: »
    I disagree, if Chelsea were looking for a short term solution they would have just went for Hiddink, a man who should have brought us to the final, won the majority of his league games while in charge and also won the FA cup. But they have taken a risk and appointed a young manager with loads of potential. He hasn't even managed one game in the CL so I'm sure they're aware they can't expect instant success there. I mean what manager ever won it on their first attempt?

At any nirnal club your logic would be perfectly sound. But you're being very optimistic to think Roma is suddenly going to become as resaonable as you are. He wants the CL, that is clear as daylight. If you think he's gonna wait 3-4 years to win it I think you're very much mistaken.
    Carlo was great for us in the first season, not much changed though, the team began to stagnate and he lacked the backbone to change anything, for Chelsea to move forward he had to go.

Basically to avoid the boot VB wil have to win the league in his forst two years by the precedent Roman has set. Tall order.

Then again, its hard to have too much sympathy for managers that take these jobs, worst case scenario he gets fired in 18 months time and gets a massive pay-off - how bad.

I'm not worried about Villas Boas anywho, I believe he'll win the league next year and the CL in the next 3 years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Mute button strongly recommended.
    He looks a bit like Kaka

Good little video, always showing for the ball and always wanting to create things, hopefully he makes the 1st team ASAP.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Danny Philliskirk joining Sheffield Utd on a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

CONFIRMED! 3 year deal.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2380210,00.html

VILLAS-BOAS APPOINTED
    Posted on: Wed 22 Jun 2011
    Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce that Andre Villas-Boas will be the club's new manager.

He has signed a three-year contract and will start work immediately.

Andre was the outstanding candidate for the job. He is one of the most talented young managers in football today and has already achieved much in a relatively short space of time. His ambition, drive and determination matches that of Chelsea and we are confident Andre's leadership of the team will result in greater successes in major domestic and European competitions.

Andre will bring his coaching experience back to a club he is already very familiar with, having previously worked here for three years. He has always been highly regarded at Chelsea and everyone here looks forward to welcoming him back and working with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

bensmith_TimesBen Smith

#CFC confirm Andre Villas-Boas is their new manager. He has signed a 3-year contract

bensmith_TimesBen Smith

#CFC statement: "Andre was the outstanding candidate for the job. He is one of the most talented young managers in football."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Welcome to the Bridge Mr Villas-Boas!:D

To the tune of alouette,

Villas Boas,
    Andre Villas Boas,
    Villas Boas
    Andre Villas Boas.

:)

• Advertisement

villas0zx.jpg

+

0,,10268~3206161,00.jpg

=

Chelsea-Premier-League-Title-Celebrations_2451619.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Johner wrote: »
    To the tune of alouette,

Villas Boas,
    Andre Villas Boas,
    Villas Boas
    Andre Villas Boas.

:)

Good one Johner, the best of luck Andre I'm well chuffed with this appointment, a happy summer ahead. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

now it begs the question, is Hiddink still in line for the DOF position or was he only in the frame for the managers job??

LanceStorm wrote: »
    now it begs the question, is Hiddink still in line for the DOF position or was he only in the frame for the managers job??

Guus didn't want to be manager and talks became very messy, he may come back as DOF if Turkey get knocked out.

First interview on Chelsea TV tonight at 7.15.

LanceStorm wrote: »

Even if Guus was just to be an advisor it would be good for the club, as a D.O.F. he would be out of the way of Romans sacking sprees, unless he did something ridiculous. As D.O.F. he could prove a usefull tool for AVB.

At least we have our first proper signing of the summer and its a great coup for us.

Now we got to squash the Luiz to Barca rumours and I'll be happy again.

Wonder what the_moneky makes of all this? No doubt he reckons AVB will get us relegated without winning a game. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

How do you actually pronounce Villas Boas? Are the "s" sounds at the ends of both words silent or aspirated?

abelard wrote: »
    How do you actually pronounce Villas Boas? Are the "s" sounds at the ends of both words silent or aspirated?

From what I've heard its :

Vill-ass Bow-ass

and yes that says " ass " but there is no gap so it would just flow into one.

Im open to correction and no doubt on Sky Sports theyll have 4 different ways of saying iy and Jamie Redknapp making a dogs dinner of it too.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

abelard wrote: »

Think Sean Connery's accent :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Exciting times my fellow blues , I cant bloody wait ,

League and cup double 14/1 with Sky bet , might have some of that !!!

Now next thing is to slip a few new players and were away .

I dont think Lamps and Drogba will play full roles but feck me what players to bring on in the last 20-30 minutes of a game , especially Drogba :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

will there be a press conference today?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

brmccfc wrote: »
    will there be a press conference today?

Yep 7.15pm Chelsea TV

Apparantally we were talking to Villas Boas over a number of weeks and it wasn't an easy decision for him so perhaps Guus was the backup option.

Think Sean Connery's accent :pac:

:o

DAMN!!!

Its spot on ha.

Just on SSN , Real Madrid are supposedly in for Falco now too ,

Some summer for the transfer goings on !

• Advertisement

Just on SSN , Real Madrid are supposedly in for Falco now too ,

Some summer for the transfer goings on !

They can have him. :pac:

They can spend their money on him and we'll take Neymar, sorted. :o

Although I dont know how they would fit Benzema, Higuain, Ronaldo and Falcao into one team.

Unless you're to offload Torres already or within the next year! I really don't understand the point of signing either Neymar or Falcao tbh. You'll never see the best of Torres unless he is the focal point IMHO ie: playing the lone role with someone creative linking with him.

Ganso (think Kaka in style and position), Neymar's teammate at Santos is the one you should be looking at in that regards.

Unless you're to offload Torres already or within the next year! I really don't understand the point of signing either Neymar or Falcao tbh. You'll never see the best of Torres unless he is the focal point IMHO ie: playing the lone role with someone creative linking with him.

Ganso (think Kaka in style and position), Neymar's teammate at Santos is the one you should be looking at in that regards.

I agree he needs to be the focal point , but we do need a plan B ,

I always remember when Liverpool were without Nando you would always fancy them to get beaten as they didnt have another system which works or even another striker even half his quality .

I always remember when Liverpool were without Nando you would always fancy them to get beaten as they didnt have another system which works or even another striker even half his quality .

I'm hoping he takes another look at getting Josh and Danny in the team.

Also we're supposed to have our own creative midfielder Gael Kakuta

Some talent if he can get him back to playing like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2O9qRkXIyU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5foyh0n19Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD_zJJ4bBA4&feature=related

I agree, but Neymar isn't a plan B. I really cannot comprehend a situation with him being a bench warmer especially with the money you or whoever will fork over to Santos. He certainly is not a wing forward too, even if he occasionally works the channels. As talented as he is, he is a moody little... so I can imagine him kicking up a fuss. That's the one thing I worry about him is his attitude in the long term. Can he play in behind the striker? Possibly if learns not to be so overly selfish, but there is no doubt his best position is leading the attack.

If you's have nowt on tonight, I suggest catching the Copa Libertadores final where he'll obviously feature for Santos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

I agree, but Neymar isn't a plan B. I really cannot comprehend a situation with him being a bench warmer especially with the money you or whoever will fork over to Santos. He certainly is not a wing forward too, even if he occasionally works the channels. As talented as he is, he is a moody little... so I can imagine him kicking up a fuss. That's the one thing I worry about him is his attitude in the long term. Can he play in behind the striker? Possibly if learns not to be so overly selfish, but there is no doubt his best position is leading the attack.

If you's have nowt on tonight, I suggest catching the Copa Libertadores final where he'll obviously feature for Santos.

Maybe with Luiz, Ramires & Alex there will cut down on Neymars 'moodiness'?? Haven't seen much of him so i'll have a look at that Copa final tonight.

Seemingly Ganso is the main man...

Im not pushed on signings at the moment, we ahve a manager and thats the most important thing. Any of the players that worked with him previous will be looking forward to the reunion.

I read a piece in The Sun at lunch ( I know, dont lynch me ) and it was written by Ian Wright, i mean of all the people to write about a new chelsea manager they get Ian Wright. I thought it couldnt be that bad of piece so I decided to read on.

He went on to re-hash much of what has been stated already, that he provided the players detailed reports and the such, but then went onto say the same players he had worked with before wouldnt have confidence in him from the start. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Also, on Neymar, he would be best given an absolute free role IMO, not quiet a forward but not a midfielder just let him run around and do wht he wants.

We also have Paizon coming in Janaury so hopefully he could sort any creative problems.

gavredking wrote: »

Also, on Neymar, he would be best given an absolute free role IMO, not quiet a forward but not a midfielder just let him run around and do wht he wants.

We also have Paizon coming in Janaury so hopefully he could sort any creative problems.
    I'd be willing to bet money that Neymar will be at Real Madrid next season

gavredking wrote: »
    Im not pushed on signings at the moment, we ahve a manager and thats the most important thing. Any of the players that worked with him previous will be looking forward to the reunion.

I read a piece in The Sun at lunch ( I know, dont lynch me ) and it was written by Ian Wright, i mean of all the people to write about a new chelsea manager they get Ian Wright. I thought it couldnt be that bad of piece so I decided to read on.

He went on to re-hash much of what has been stated already, that he provided the players detailed reports and the such, but then went onto say the same players he had worked with before wouldnt have confidence in him from the start. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I agree, new players arent instantly needed, after all, imo we only lost the title season because of the "bad moment", which we recovered from eventually and put on a decent run. We should, really be able to win with exactly the same players

amiable wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet money that Neymar will be at Real Madrid next season

Me too, but I'd still like him to see at Chelsea, same way I'd love to have a threesome with Angelina Jolie and Cheryl Cole but thats unlikely to happen to. :(

Ashley Cole, if your listening, PM me Cheryl's mobile number please. :pac:

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I totally disagree, yes we finished second and would have won only for our bad moment but we need replacementsfor drogba,anelka, malouda badly because those players are going togo downhillquickly imo. Yes we have maceachran and sturridge butwe badly need some more creatiity or we will be going backwards again next season.
    And of course that 'bad moment' still happened for whatever reason

Add to that the fact Villa-Boas may want his own men to deploy his own tactics.
    I'm sure this was all discussed in negotiations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Neymar would fail in the EPL. We need to avoid imo.

amiable wrote: »
    And of course that 'bad moment' still happened for whatever reason

Add to that the fact Villa-Boas may want his own men to deploy his own tactics.
    I'm sure this was all discussed in negotiations

Well, I think new players are a given anyway - its going to happen.
    Just hope we arent too quick off loading, because we did miss Ballack and co when the injuries hit. Our squad is too small, and by that I mean, you cant have too many inexperienced kids sitting on the bench to turn around games like we did last season

The bad moment was a severe lack of form and motivation from most players and Carlo too.

Fresh approach due to new manager and potential new staff and signings will breath some new life into Chelsea.

I'm afraid we will see less of Lamps and Drogba this year and more rotation for players.

It will be interesting to see who he wants to keep and who he wnats to axe. I cant imagine David Luiz is one of them anyway, from Villas Boas time in Portugal he will have known how good Luiz was and how integral he is too the future at Chelsea.

Neymar would fail in the EPL. We need to avoid imo.

I dont think he would TBH. I'd love to see him in a Chelsea jersey anyway.

Matter of interest, what makes ya think he would fail?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement