Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Football News 24*7

In 2009, Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill was offered Radamel Falcao for £7m...

He chose to buy Emile "Lord" Heskey instead...

GOOD CHOICE Mart !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Ridiculous if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I remember hearing about Falcao when it happened thinking wed get a new Angel, I cry everytime he scores for Atletico instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

We've been linked to Radamel Falcao as far back as the 2007/2008 season but O'Neill never seemed interested in pursuing him for some strange reason.

He moved to Porto for only £3m in 2009 then onto Atletico Madrid for £32m in 2011 and is now valued at around £50m (which Real Madrid, Chelsea or Man City would probably pay).

Villa have a habit of dripping the ball in regards to dealing with strikers though. We sold Savo Milošević to Real Zaragoza for £2m (at a £1.5m loss) and they sold him on the following season to Parma for £20m :rolleyes:

Peter Crouch was slightly similar as we signed him for £6m then sold him to Southampton for £2m who sold him on to Liverpool for £10m.

Hopefully Belgian goal machine Christian Benteke will be work £20m some day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Naerly the weekend and I cant decide if I am looking forward to the Fulham game or dreading it? I think its mixed feelings a bit like watching your Mother In Law drive over a cliff in your brand new car

From The Villa Blog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fulham strong at home, will be a tough game, Wingers are always important at Craven Cottage because of the size, maybe Zog can get going here. Ireland probably back too so that's a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Stats don't paint a pretty picture for this one. Villa have only scored 2 goals away all season, Fulham have only conceded 2 goals at home all season.

That said, purely for fun, I may stick a fiver on a 2-2 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Corholio wrote: »
    Fulham strong at home, will be a tough game, Wingers are always important at Craven Cottage because of the size, maybe Zog can get going here. Ireland probably back too so that's a boost.

all pitches are the same size now i believe after some new fa regulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

VILLA: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar [c], Baker, Bennett, El Ahmadi, Delph, Ireland, Holman, Agbonlahor, Bent.

Good team IMO, Clark is injured AFAIK.

Baker going off injured, looks like Lowton going central.

• Advertisement

Goddamit anyway.

We looked like we had secured a useful point away from home but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be in the end.

We are now 2 points above the relegation places with 1 more game played then the bottom three.

That obviously doesn't mean much at this stage of the season but it's not exactly great for confidence or morale.

I was watching without sound so I'm not sure if play was stopped or not*, but right after Fulham scored Benteke missed from about 6 yards out. Massively frustrating if the goal would have stood.

*(CNZ appeared to foul the defender before crossing)

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I was watching without sound so I'm not sure if play was stopped or not*, but right after Fulham scored Benteke missed from about 6 yards out. Massively frustrating if the goal would have stood.

*(CNZ appeared to foul the defender before crossing)

No, he just missed, play was continuing.

Although nearly a good point, it was a poor performance. Dropped so deep, it was like we were playing Barcelona at times, and not due to any amazing play by Fulham either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Spurs fan in peace ;):)

You guys must be worried the way this season is panning out so far. The team just dont seem to be clicking at all. There's no doubting what Lambert did last season with Norwich but is that a case of boxing above his weight. I'd be very concerened that he does an Owen Coyle on ye.

Like I said I come in peace. Nottaking a pot shot at all.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Spurs fan in peace ;):)

You guys must be worried the way this season is panning out so far. The team just dont seem to be clicking at all. There's no doubting what Lambert did last season with Norwich but is that a case of boxing above his weight. I'd be very concerened that he does an Owen Coyle on ye.

Like I said I come in peace. Nottaking a pot shot at all.

Well these things will take time, it's too early to say the team isn't clicking.
    Today for example there was about 9 players who weren't at the club or weren't involved much last season playing.
    8 league games is not long enough to make wholesale changes click.

There is a lot of work to be done to get the team playing and flowing but for now it's all about patience.

I heard that Jean Makoun put in a man of the match performance and bagged a goal in Rennes 2-1 win over French champions Montpelier yesterday.

I'm still baffled at why a player with his experience and quality can be so easily discarded by a team that badly need a leader in midfield.

I'd personally have Makoun in there ahead of Delph.

Raekwon wrote: »
    I'm still baffled at why a player with his experience and quality can be so easily discarded by a team that badly need a leader in midfield.

i assume it's because he made it very clear he didnt want to be at the club, or in england, to the extent he wasnt bothered learning even the most rudimentary english in order to get a work permit

he was houllier's man, and once he was gone, i dont think he wanted to be near the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

We still after Brahimi?

Makoun still has 2 years left on his Villa contract so I'm not sure why he wasn't just sold if he doesn't fit into the managers plans/doesn't want to play for the club.
    Doodee wrote: »
    We still after Brahimi?

No. He joined Granada CF on an initial £250k loan deal with an option to buy clause of £3.5m.

So how much do you reckon we can get for Makoun then?
    And who can we get in Jan as a replacement who we can use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Not a lot. Everyone in football knows he either wants away or we don't want him which greatly reduces his value. Unlike Barry or Downing we are not in a position to dig our heals in and play him every week. Chalk him up as the latest Bosko Balaban and get him off the wage bill.

Villa should offer Rennes £10m + Makoun for M'Vila :P

Makoun still has 2 years left on his Villa contract so I'm not sure why he wasn't just sold if he doesn't fit into the managers plans/doesn't want to play for the club.

You need someone willing to buy in order to sell a player

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    You need someone willing to buy in order to sell a player

Obviously but Makoun had several teams French teams scrambling for his signature during the summer so why not just sell him for around 2 or 3 million to get him off our books?

Obviously but Makoun had several teams French teams scrambling for his signature during the summer so why not just sell him for around 2 or 3 million to get him off our books?

He not playing towards a transfer with current form?
    What do ppl think of Palacios?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

He not playing towards a transfer with current form?
    What do ppl think of Palacios?

Palacios wouldn't be bad. If you want to guess correctly I would aim lower than Premiership.

I'd say Palacios is on reasonably high money considering he left London for Stoke.

Palacios is a good shout, liked him when he was at Spurs and would definitely add lot more bite to the middle, something Villa have quite severely lacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Palacios was a very good player, but understandably he hasn't been the same since his brother was murdered a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Palacios was a very good player, but understandably he hasn't been the same since his brother was murdered a few years ago.

True but I imagine he will find his form again. Wonder would Stoke sell though.

True but I imagine he will find his form again. Wonder would Stoke sell though.

Not if he finds his form, you'd imagine.

WTF

Braces?

Bicycle kicks?

HESKEY CAM!?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9635767/Emile-Heskey-delights-Heskey-Cam-viewers-with-stunning-brace-for-Newcastle-Jets.html
    "Heskey Cam gives you it all: one camera, one hero; every pass, every run, everything Heskey does on the pitch, you'll see it first with the Heskey Cam, the dedicated broadcast providing a rare insight into what makes Heskey so good."

Not if he finds his form, you'd imagine.

Was hoping a deal could be in place before then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

He's doing something right, seen this trending on YouTube. Jets fans singing 'You are Heskey's Bitch '

http://m.youtube.com/home#/watch?feature=m-trends&v=Gkx_DY8yEvw

Just a heads up match tomorrow kicks off at 12:45 on SS2.

VILLA: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar (c), Bennett, El Ahmadi, Delph, Herd, Albrighton, Holman, Agbonlahor, Benteke. #AVFCLIVE

Subs: Given, Bent, Westwood, Lichaj, Bannan, Ireland, Weimann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

JPA wrote: »
    VILLA: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar (c), Bennett, El Ahmadi, Delph, Herd, Albrighton, Holman, Agbonlahor, Benteke. #AVFCLIVE

Subs: Given, Bent, Westwood, Lichaj, Bannan, Ireland, Weimann

Herd at RB?

Benteke to nakker the norwich backline for 60 mins, then a fresh Bent to come on and punish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Villa getting a rough going over on Soccer Saturday. Saying if they lose today, its just gonna get worse through the season. And then possibly get relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mushy wrote: »
    Villa getting a rough going over on Soccer Saturday. Saying if they lose today, its just gonna get worse through the season. And then possibly get relegated.

If the lads on Soccer Saturday are saying that then they'll probably end up qualifying for Europe this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Paully D wrote: »
    If the lads on Soccer Saturday are saying that then they'll probably end up qualifying for Europe this year.

It'd be a nice aim for them. But they do have a point though. I think they could go down, and this is a vital part of the season for them.

matrim wrote: »

Herd at RB?

CB.

Classy Norwich fans applauding along during the 19th minute.

Painful stuff from Villa right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Why haven't Ireland and Bent started?

Why haven't Ireland and Bent started?

Well to expand on my theory above, maybe Lambert will hit them with Benteke's power and Gabby's pace early on, then bring on the more cunning Ireland and Bent when Norwich are a bit more tired.

BOOM.

Big man.

1-0.

Get in Benteke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That defending from Norwich was laughable!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement