Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep, misses like that by Weimann will make the questions about Bent louder and louder....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Weimann has been seriously poor thus far.

As for the Bent thing, its not that simple. If he is proving a negative influence, then you can't play him, and to be honest I've no doubt that is what it is, as he is obviously streets ahead of Weimann when they're both at their level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Reading don't look like they want to win this at all.

It's just hard to watch Villa like this. You can't really fault any of the players but the quality and experience just isn't there. They're all playing as good as they can and trying their heart out but there's no making up for that lack of quality. Really over the last 3 seasons the club has been stripped of any experienced players - probably the biggest inditement of MON's reign.

We really need Dunne back IMO, if only to be a more solid anchor for all the youngsters. And for this game we're crying out for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Hate to say it but Bent would have probably buried the chances that Weimann & Benteke wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bannan has terrible so far, he looks like he can play the fancy passes but most of the time they come up short. Have a bad feeling Reading will sting us with 1 chance they put away.

Failing to win these sort of games just screams relegation candidates. Got to get a winner here.

CSF wrote: »
    Failing to win these sort of games just screams relegation candidates. Got to get a winner here.
    ;)

BENTEKE!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Oh thank God!!!

And my Capt in fantasy football!!!

Darren who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Darren who?

Steady now.

Great that it finally came, but my god does it mask a lot of ****e. If we undeservedly win at home against Reading, the next few months will be rough.

No ones saying Benteke or Bent. More like Weimann, Bowery or Bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Villa look much better with Ireland in there.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    No ones saying Benteke or Bent. More like Weimann, Bowery or Bent
    I really don't think its as simple as that choice. I'd heavily wager there is more than meets the eye to the situation.

You won't get relegated. Reading are pretty poor and there are a few other teams who are as bad as them.

Having said that, I think Lambert is the right man for the job. He is definitely approaching matches with the right intentions (ie, the team is playing good football), it's just unfortunate that you don't have as much quality as other teams.

I really don't think its as simple as that choice. I'd heavily wager there is more than meets the eye to the situation.

I agree and seriously hope so, and I hope it can be sorted because if Benteke gets injured.......

You won't get relegated. Reading are pretty poor and there are a few other teams who are as bad as them.

Having said that, I think Lambert is the right man for the job. He is definitely approaching matches with the right intentions (ie, the team is playing good football), it's just unfortunate that you don't have as much quality as other teams.
    Lambert will have to strengthen appropriately in January. Particularly in the FB and CM positions. For me, anything else is taking too many risks with the oul Premier League status. No use blooding all these youngsters only for them to have to play in the Championship next year.

For what its worth, I don't think Villa will be relegated, but from what I've seen thus far this year, I don't think there'll be too many points separated from 18th either.

The "lack of quality" argument doesn;t wash if you've Bent in the stands and Ireland on the bench tbh. The manager has experience at his disposal but for whatever reasons chooses not to opt for it.

Seems like a boss struggling to contain the bigger egos in the squad.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    The "lack of quality" argument doesn;t wash if you've Bent in the stands and Ireland on the bench tbh. The manager has experience at his disposal but for whatever reasons chooses not to opt for it.

Seems like a boss struggling to contain the bigger egos in the squad.
    He wouldn't be the first to struggle to deal with Bent or Ireland though. I don't think there is an issue with himself and Ireland though, and his exclusion from the first 11 doesn't please me at all.

You don't know what's going on behind closed doors though. I'd be giving Lambert the benefit of the doubt on it.

Feckin huge win for us.

Yay!

Brutal but vital

Edit: Oh an dI owe Guzan an apology, always calm and took that ball out of the sky late on very, very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

3 points!!!

Massive win! Plus back to back clean sheets! Hopefully we can build some momentum now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Agree with this I hope Villa don't go and I must say i can't see it

QPR look nailed on to me, new manager or not, and Soton's away form is too brutal. Reading look goners too.

At this rate I'd nearly worry more about my own team Newcastle.

Huge game for ye sat. QPR away. Draw would be a decent result and I think ye'll get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Corholio wrote: »
    Great that it finally came, but my god does it mask a lot of ****e. If we undeservedly win at home against Reading, the next few months will be rough.

We were the only team trying to play football. We struggled with Roberts physicality and at corners but Reading were pretty ineffective and overall we had more chances. It wasn't a great performance by any means and we did struggle to make the final breakthrough a lot but to say it was undeserved is just wrong.

1 more win against QPR or Stoke and we'll be right up in the middle of the pack and looking a lot safer. Pity our Goal difference is bad though, that City game really messed us up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I don't think Villa will be relegated but probably will finish 16th or 17th.
    New winger is needed.
    Ball winning midfielder is needed.
    Full backs need to be looked at.

• Advertisement

If we are going to continue the 4231 formation we need to look at the wide positions in January.

Gabby is ok at it and can create some threat from his pace and strength but Wiemann is poor at it. He's good in the box but not creative and possibly composed enough out wide to pick out the pass needed. Holman works his ass off and does make good runs but again is a bit clumsy on the ball.

In January I'd be looking for a minimum of 1 left FB (even a loan), 1 imposing DCM and 1 winger / forward (probably right)

matrim wrote: »

We were the only team trying to play football. We struggled with Roberts physicality and at corners but Reading were pretty ineffective and overall we had more chances. It wasn't a great performance by any means and we did struggle to make the final breakthrough a lot but to say it was undeserved is just wrong.

Reading were shocking but Villa were only just a little better, Le Fondre's header goes in, as it should, and people would be saying good defending and good win away. I never let goals affect my view on performances, more possession yes, but played good enough at home against an even poorer side, no.

Corholio wrote: »
    Reading were shocking but Villa were only just a little better, Le Fondre's header goes in, as it should, and people would be saying good defending and good win away. I never let goals affect my view on performances, more possession yes, but played good enough at home against an even poorer side, no.

If Benteke, Wiemanns and/or Clarks chances were converted, it could have been up to 4-0. It wasn't a good performance but we were the better team with better chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Got home in time to see Benteke's goal.
    Vital win, and hopefully it will put a better mentality in the squads mind.

There are rumours circulating that when tonight's team sheet was read out Darren Bent walked out of the dressing room in disgust and had to be persuaded to come back in by Ian Culverhouse.

Paul Lambert still insists that he has no problem with Bent but he was visibly uncomfortable when asked why Bent was dropped yet again in a post-match interview with the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

3 points. Enormous. You almost forget what that feels like!

Bent should be gone come January and I am not too bothered. The style of play we are aspiring towards won't allow for a his work-rate. If we can scout Europe for a poor man's Suarez or Tevez, i.e., a goal-scorer who who can also make their own chances and put in a shift pressing high up the pitch, I think this is the type of player Lambert would favour along side Benteke.

He has uncovered a couple of promising players in Vlaar, Benteke and Westwood, so I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can be trusted to find what he's looking for.

Plus we'd clear a sizeable amount from the wage-bill and hopefully bring in around £10m in transfer fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

It's a bit disappointing re: Bent though. Our problem is scoring goals and we have a proven goal scorer that PL wont play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Great win, Terrible performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Great game of football, put me to sleep nice and early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Clanket wrote: »
    It's a bit disappointing re: Bent though. Our problem is scoring goals and we have a proven goal scorer that PL wont play.

Kind of agree with that, but would you ever see Bent working like Benteke did last night? He was unplayable at times and was great to watch and not to forget for a 21 year old he still has alot to learn so who knows how good he "could" be....I just think Lambert is looking for players who work their socks off for the team and whereas Bent is without arguement a proven goalscorer he scores off others work, crosses/passes etc. and that not in Lamberts plan for the team so I think he could be gone in January.
    Was listening to Sunderland game on radio 5 live so missed the mtach on TV but they were saying they had talked to a few agents during the week re: Bent and come January if any team were desperate enough he would prob go for around 8-10 million and if not we'd be lucky to get 5-7 mil for him....serious hit on what we got him for if it were true....

Clanket wrote: »

Goal scorers are only as good as the system in which they are deployed. If Bent needs two wide-men for service, doesn't offer a target-man type outlet and doesn't track back and help win the ball, his 20 odd goals soon get cancelled out.

Keep in mind too that the big man is now 5 goals in 11 starts (3 goals from 9 League starts and 2 goals from 2 League Cup starts). Not exactly Messi, but he is getting goals. There's a few assists thrown in there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone know the skinny on stevens ? He has put in some sterling shifts the last 5 games and i think he is a regular judging on where he has started off.

I dont think that is a position we need to worry about he covers it well.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Paul Lambert still insists that he has no problem with Bent but he was visibly uncomfortable when asked why Bent was dropped yet again in a post-match interview with the BBC.

Oddest interview yet IMHO, clearly doesn't want to even acknowledge the Bent issue despite it being the elephant in the room.

Hope this man knows what he's doing, because pushing out a proven scorer is a bold move given the club's predicament. He's banking on Benteke an awful lot, if he loses form or god forbid gets injured and PL has sold Bent then we are guaranteed relegation fodder unless he plans to draw his way to safety.

Benteke has been excellent though, I'd still hope to see them both up front alongside each other...if the manager has the cop on to sort this mess out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Savman wrote: »
    Oddest interview yet IMHO, clearly doesn't want to even acknowledge the Bent issue despite it being the elephant in the room.

Hope this man knows what he's doing, because pushing out a proven scorer is a bold move given the club's predicament. He's banking on Benteke an awful lot, if he loses form or god forbid gets injured and PL has sold Bent then we are guaranteed relegation fodder unless he plans to draw his way to safety.

Benteke has been excellent though, I'd still hope to see them both up front alongside each other...if the manager has the cop on to sort this mess out.

I just think Bent musn't be the type of player Lambert wants. He's probably thinking if he can sell Bent for 10million, then get someone else in for 7-8million that is his type of player, we could pocket a few million.

But I agree, it's a pity it hasn't worked out with Bent. The real pity is Lambert doesn't seem to be trying to get him to play the way he wants him to. It's fair enough that Bent is a certain type of player, and that type of player might not fit the system, but at least try and get him playing the way you would like.

Unfortunately Bent is in a bit of a limbo situation. He's too good at what he does to change his game, but he's not so good (RVN, Inzaghi) that top clubs will accommodate him.

Poachers are a luxury. And Villa don't have the players elsewhere to compensate for the fact that one of the starting 11 will essentially be doing one thing and one thing only. It's fine when you have a team like Man United around you, in which case the 10 other players can make up for it. But there in lies the catch 22 for Bent, because a Man U can look at better players to play in his position.

Thus, he will likely spend his career circling around the mid-table realm, scoring goals in teams who don't win a lot of games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Totally danced around the whole Bent issue which is a bit frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would you have Keane back in January ? Back up for Benteke..

listermint wrote: »
    Would you have Keane back in January ? Back up for Benteke..

No.

Do you know who I think would actually work really well in our team though? Shane Long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Shane Long would be a great addition. Heard him being bigged up on the radio yesterday by Stephen Hunt who was saying he's good enough to play for a top 4 club.

They also reported that there's supposedly been some interest from some top clubs.

I'd be delighted if we got him in January. Doesn't he live in Birmingham and all. I wonder would he regard it as a step up or down considering West Brom are third.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    No.

Do you know who I think would actually work really well in our team though? Shane Long.

Long would be an amazing signing for us but unfortunately he wouldn't touch us with a barge pole, and why should he, WBA are doing what Newcastle did last season and are have been the polar opposite of Villa this season.

Kevin Doyle on the other hand..........

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement