Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Lads, based on the current formation and the fact that Bent seems unlikely to be involved again, what would you put out as your strongest 11?

Mine would be:

Guzan
    Lowton Vlaar Clark Stevens

Westwood Al Ahmadi

Holman Ireland Gabby
    Benteke

Not sure why Ireland isn't starting every game, he makes such a difference when he's playing and offers something that nobody else offers, class above.

Bannan just isn't doing it for me, too many lapses in concentration in passing and way too scared of an aerial or ground duel. Al Ahmadi i only rate slightly above but would do until January.

Weimann is way too frustrating also, losing the ball in great positions too much and his decision making in advanced positions is shocking at times. Holman is much smarter and works alot harder so i would put him in that wide right position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gabby doesn't offer us much at the moment, never seen a guy with so much pace completely fail to apply it in the right situations. How often does he actually have shots on goal? This is coming from a big fan of Gabby, but to stay he's stagnated the last 3 or 4 years is an understatement, I've seen nothing this season, bar one league cup game, to say it's changed.

That interview with Lambert on Bent is bizarre, completely dodged any questions about him. I wouldn't mind if the formation with Benteke worked with a decent midfield, but it doesn't. Bannan was so poor last night, Westwood was completely anonymous, Weimann is not a winger in the slightest. I know some people are optimistic on the way Lambert plays, but last night there wasn't much of this slick passing he supposedly brings. I think sometimes because it's deemed better than McLeish it get's a bit exaggerated in praise. I fully believe Bent and Benteke with the right formation could work.

I really fear not at least giving Bent a chance will be a mistake. Even in dark times under McLeish, Bent was still poaching goals that got us draws or close wins.

Corholio wrote: »
    Gabby doesn't offer us much at the moment, never seen a guy with so much pace completely fail to apply it in the right situations. How often does he actually have shots on goal? This is coming from a big fan of Gabby, but to stay he's stagnated the last 3 or 4 years is an understatement, I've seen nothing this season, bar one league cup game, to say it's changed.

That interview with Lambert on Bent is bizarre, completely dodged any questions about him. I wouldn't mind if the formation with Benteke worked with a decent midfield, but it doesn't. Bannan was so poor last night, Westwood was completely anonymous, Weimann is not a winger in the slightest. I know some people are optimistic on the way Lambert plays, but last night there wasn't much of this slick passing he supposedly brings. I think sometimes because it's deemed better than McLeish it get's a bit exaggerated in praise. I fully believe Bent and Benteke with the right formation could work.

Playing Bent and Benteke would require 4-4-2, imo. Who would you put in midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think the issue with Bent is that Villa just aren't creating the chances to entitle Lambert to field such a luxury player.

Benteke gives Villa something to aim at to provide a danger even when under the cosh. Gabby does the same with his pace.

Bent was signed too late. If he could have been signed to play with Downing. Young and Milner, Villa could have realistically gotten that CL place under MON.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Playing Bent and Benteke would require 4-4-2, imo. Who would you put in midfield?

One of Herd/Delph/Much needed CM with Ireland if 4-4-2, but 5-3-2 should also be considered. I can understand him wanting and trying different ways i.e. 4-3-3, but with Bent not even on the bench it seems he's going to be a stubborn manager about it and Bent will be gone in January.

I know people will say 4-4-2 won't work because we're short defensively in midfield, but yet Lambert's current midfield only includes 1 very inexperienced, and so far not imposing defensive midfielder (Westwood)

CSF wrote: »
    I think the issue with Bent is that Villa just aren't creating the chances to entitle Lambert to field such a luxury player.

Benteke gives Villa something to aim at to provide a danger even when under the cosh. Gabby does the same with his pace.

Bent was signed too late. If he could have been signed to play with Downing. Young and Milner, Villa could have realistically gotten that CL place under MON.

If only he actually did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why was Bent made captain at the start of the season so, surely PL knew the type of player Bent is?

Complete fcuking waste of money, that PL is not playing bent and reducing his transfer value by the week, wonder what RL is thinking?
    Maybe he's just grateful for Bent for keeping Villa in the league that January they signed him.

Why was Bent made captain at the start of the season so, surely PL knew the type of player Bent is?

Complete fcuking waste of money, that PL is not playing bent and reducing his transfer value by the week, wonder what RL is thinking?
    Maybe he's just grateful for Bent for keeping Villa in the league that January they signed him.

Esse85 wrote: »

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Lambert tried something different for a game or 2 and Bent threw a strop.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »

I think your incorrect. If this was the case then surely Bent would be named on the subs bench and B) why is PL dodging questions on the matter?

I think your incorrect. If this was the case then surely Bent would be named on the subs bench and B) why is PL dodging questions on the matter?
    Well I think this was part A of the issue which has led to part B being a falling out between the 2 and that's why he's not even on the bench.

It did definitely seem as though Bent was out of favour before he was completely frozen out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Not necessarliy. You could play a 4-3-3 of sorts. Ireland, Westwood and Delph/KEA/Bannon (depending on taste) with Gabby, Benteke and Bent up front. Benteke has well shown the pace and workrate that means he does not have to remain a central target man all the time - he could drift wide at times, just like Gabby - with Bent loitering as usual in the centre.

Think of Weimann's 1st against Utd wheer Benteke did the hard work out wide before crossing low the Weimann. Now place Bent in the centre instead. A few times last night the ball went right across the Reading goal crying out for a poachers finish.

That is without considering any off-field issues or personality clashes that we don't know about but could easily poison a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd favour a 442 diamond formation.

Our width is hopeless imo.

Albrighton, Gabby and Weimann are full of energy and enthusiasm but are so wasteful.

JPA wrote: »
    I'd favour a 442 diamond formation.

Our width is hopeless imo.

Albrighton, Gabby and Weimann are full of energy and enthusiasm but are so wasteful.
    Do Villa have the wingbacks to play that though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno if you are even aware of it but your kids thrashed Sporting Lisbon 5-1 away this evening, they are through to the knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Graham burke scored 2 also in that.

Dublin lad.

And Drennan got 2 also

Kilkenny lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Villa has a serious academy!
    Pity about Gardner being out this year, I liked him.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Villa has a serious academy!
    Pity about Gardner being out this year, I liked him.
    Pity they don't remain serious players.

We've had lots of potential down through the years, all of the players who had hype around them failed to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Pity they don't remain serious players.

We've had lots of potential down through the years, all of the players who had hype around them failed to deliver.

Alot of the players that came through with hype failed but we've still produced a good few ok / decent current premier league players.

Cahill, Myhill, Gardner, Ridgewell, Moore, Davies with other teams. And then our current squad where something like 6 of the starting 11 on Tuesday were academy graduates. Then there are a number of players like Whittingham in the lower leagues.

It's easily paying for itself and if it can keep up the good reputation, then hopefully can draw some better players in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It appears that the reason behind Bent being out of the squad is that he doesn't figure in Lambert's plans.

Rumour is that Villa will have to play Sunderland £5million if he reaches 50 Premier league games which was part of the £24 million transfer fee. He currently has 47 EPL appearances for Villa and he is gone in January so don't expect to see him again in a Villa shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

eagle eye wrote: »
    It appears that the reason behind Bent being out of the squad is that he doesn't figure in Lambert's plans.

Rumour is that Villa will have to play Sunderland £5million if he reaches 50 Premier league games which was part of the £24 million transfer fee. He currently has 47 EPL appearances for Villa and he is gone in January so don't expect to see him again in a Villa shirt.

Few pages back someone mentioned that. Kendrick dismissed it apparently.
    No harm if true. Life at Villa after Bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I wouldn't mind Bent leaving but I hope a good deal of the money is recouped.
    Doesn't seem plausible that the 5m would depend on 50 games only. More likely it would go up in increments.

One small snag I see is 'Arry joining QPR. If Bent is on 60-80k, they would have been one of the few non-big-clubs that could match his wages. But he'll hardly return to to play for Redknapp.

Hard to say where he could go now.... maybe West Ham?

I can see him heading abroad tbh, maybe Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bent is a halfwit if he goes anywhere near Redknapp, the very same manager who publicly chastised him at Spurs and wouldn't give him a sniff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I can see him heading abroad tbh, maybe Turkey.

Almost happened during the summer transfer window of the year he joined Villa. Was offered a mega contract by Fenerbache but we managed to convince him to stay (for a few more months at least!).

I think he'll end up at QPR. Himself and 'Arry are both as two-faced as each other and they'll be happy to scratch each others backs. Striker is the one position QPR badly need to strengthen and I think they'll offer him the same as what he's on at Villa which will suit everyone. He'll score the goals to keep them up before he ends up shagging his team mates missus and falling out with everyone in the squad or gets a sniff of a better contract elsewhere and then the cycle will start again.

Oh, and give us our money you greedy twats :pac: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Paully D wrote: »
    Almost happened during the summer transfer window of the year he joined Villa. Was offered a mega contract by Fenerbache but we managed to convince him to stay (for a few more months at least!).

I think he'll end up at QPR. Himself and 'Arry are both as two-faced as each other and they'll be happy to scratch each others backs. Striker is the one position QPR badly need to strengthen and I think they'll offer him the same as what he's on at Villa which will suit everyone. He'll score the goals to keep them up before he ends up shagging his team mates missus and falling out with everyone in the squad or gets a sniff of a better contract elsewhere and then the cycle will start again.

Oh, and give us our money you greedy twats :pac: :D
    Harry Rednap is sure not two faced.

He manages any club that will pay him enough, will give him a big enough purse to buy players and are not far away from the M25.

Aston Villa are not his kind of team.
    That's fine by me.
    I rate him, but not for Villa

Dunne looks like he's going to continue being out for quite a while:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2012/1201/356249-dunne-injury-problems-continue/

While even if he was fit, he might have a fight to get his place back, he would still offer us quite a presence in defence when playing, some badly needed leadership and excellent cover for Vlaar and Clark.

Guzan; Lowton, Clark, Baker, Lichaj, Westwood; Bannan; Herd, Holman, Agbonlahor; Benteke.

Given, El Ahmadi, Weimann, Bent, Williams, Ireland, Delph

Villa: Guzan; Lowton, Clark, Baker, Lichaj, Westwood; Bannan; Herd, Holman, Agbonlahor; Benteke.

Subs: Given, El Ahmadi, Weimann, Bent, Williams, Ireland, Delph.

Ireland on bench is more frustrating than Bent on bench. Weimann dropped for Herd too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Patser wrote: »
    Ireland on bench is more frustrating than Bent on bench. Weimann dropped for Herd too

I'd prefer to see Ireland start ahead of Bannan but Holman for Weimann is totally justified.

I think that Lambert buckled to pressure from the media and named Bent on the bench. Its actually much more reassuring to see him in there ahead of Jordan Bowery.

Raekwon wrote: »

I'd prefer to see Ireland start ahead of Bannan but Holman for Weimann is totally justified.

I think that Lambert buckled to pressure from the media and named Bent on the bench. Its actually much more reassuring to see him in there ahead of Jordan Bowery.

How could you say Lambert buckled?
    Not having him on the bench at least made no sense in the first place.

While waiting for KO have been just doodling around the net. Noticed a bit of banter from QPR fans not overly happy about Redknapp's selection particularly Wright-Phillips in for Cisse. Not fully up to daye on QPR's players but the fans seem to be annoyed they've no proper striker on the pitch.

If that's true and they're playing a 4-6-0 (as some of their fans have suggested) and we have Herd in (suggestion an emphasis in a solid midfield) this really could be a slog of a game

How could you say Lambert buckled?
    Not having him on the bench at least made no sense in the first place.

Bent is obviously not in Lambert's plans for whatever reason and he's been no where near the squad for a whole month now suddenly after a barrage of questions from the media midweek he appears on the bench.

Coincidence? Then why wasn't he on the bench for our vital game against Reading instead of a total novice with a brutal goal scoring record?

I'm totally behind Lambert but he is obviously only naming Bent to stop the tongues wagging and to save face.

*I bet that he's not even used even if we are losing

*Although I'd love to him come on to bag a winner

Awww. Lichaj has shaved off half his Movember but kept a tache. He no longer looks like a cowboy just like everyone's least favourite Uncle.....

Holman you beaut! :D

G'man Holman. Benteke is beast.

HOLMAN!!!

Great finish!!

Edit: The replay angle from directly behind the shot really shows the accuracy and power!!

1-1

****!, Benteke disallowed goal.

Damn! Just off side :(

• Advertisement

Yep, we let them back into the game, didn;t hold the ball at all since we scored.

Almost by Benteke there, offside maybe just, maybe not

Edit: to prove a point position stat there QPR 78% pssoession last 5 minutes

Still all QPR and Wright Phillips unlucky to hit the post

JAysus we need to switch on sooner rather than later. QPR have us penned back and will eventually get a goal unless something changes.

Holman is doing nothing, Herd is effectively a 5th defender, Bannon and Westwood cannot impose themselves. We nned a change in midfield soon

JAysus we need to switch on sooner rather than later. QPR have us penned back and will eventually get a goal unless something changes.

Holman is doing nothing, Herd is effectively a 5th defender, Bannon and Westwood cannot impose themselves. We nned a change in midfield soon

Need Ireland on to calm things down.

Guzan with a great save.

5 minutes later rush of blood and trying to beat players out at the sideline, very lucky no Rangers player tried to shoot and their passing sucked

Need Ireland on to calm things down.

Ireland and Bent. Bent now has such a point to prove he'll score 7

And when we do get a sub, it's 19 year old debut Williams:confused:

And then Delph:confused:

So much for wanting to win it

Delph and Williams on for Herd and Bannan

Ireland and Bent. Bent now has such a point to prove he'll score 7

And when we do get a sub, it's 19 year old debut Williams:confused:

Happy for Williams but doesn't make sense, Delph on as well for Bannan. :confused:

KEA on for Holman now too.

• Advertisement

Curiouser and curiouser.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement