Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Surprise, surprise.........Bent wasn't used ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

We're against the bottom team, who've just had 3 injuries forcing them to change their team continually and we have have Weimann, Bent and Ireland on our bench - a chance to go for a win and we bring on Williams, Delph and KEA - all defensive minded midfielders:mad:

This is just senseless, it just adds so much pressure on to Lambert's reign and makes people question his tactics......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

The passing has being diabolical today.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I thought that KEA had scored there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Got more or less what we deserved today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

1-1 FT.

Bizarre game from Lambert.

Villa were backs to the wall defending for nearly the entire 2nd half and his substitutions just invited them on even more.

Against a semi decent team it could have been 5-1. It was 9 defensive players on the field for 25 minutes.
    Reminded me a bit of last season. *shudder.

I can only figure that Lambert was looking at that game as a 'Must not lose' as opposed to a 'Must win'. At least by denying QPR a win it heaps the pressure on them and Harry regards relegation, while we continue to sneak away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Patser wrote: »
    I can only figure that Lambert was looking at that game as a 'Must not lose' as opposed to a 'Must win'. At least by denying QPR a win it heaps the pressure on them and Harry regards relegation, while we continue to sneak away.

Agreed looked like they were happy to settle for a draw 2nd half, risky strategy.

On positive a note 5 points from 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

We're against the bottom team, who've just had 3 injuries forcing them to change their team continually and we have have Weimann, Bent and Ireland on our bench - a chance to go for a win and we bring on Williams, Delph and KEA - all defensive minded midfielders:mad:

This is just senseless, it just adds so much pressure on to Lambert's reign and makes people question his tactics......

I think it might also have had to do with the absence of Vlaar and experience in defence. We did the same against reading, playing it over cautious.
    By any chance might he be trying to get Bent to hand in a transfer request?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JPA wrote: »
    1-1 FT.

Bizarre game from Lambert.

Villa were backs to the wall defending for nearly the entire 2nd half and his substitutions just invited them on even more.

Against a semi decent team it could have been 5-1. It was 9 defensive players on the field for 25 minutes.
    Reminded me a bit of last season. *shudder.

Was coming in here tonight to say that it was a 'McLeish' performance. The second half was ridiculous, made QPR look like Barcelona in terms of the amount of possession they had. 2 games in a row where Villa players couldn't even make 3 or 4 passes in a row, which completely goes against what Lambert claims about how he sets the team up. There's nothing in the team to ever go out and try and win a game, that doesn't mean go gung ho, but at least have a go. Yet to see that at all this season. I wouldn't be saying Villa will definitely be safe just yet, Benteke is going to have to do a lot of work for himself this season, because that midfield certainly won't do it for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Kammy on soccer Saturday said everyone played well and qpr never looked like they were going to go ahead. Looking forward to seeing it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Watching MOTD and Diame was immense for WHU.
    Were we even in for him in the summer? Really need that midfield enforcer :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

williams isn't a midfielder he's a defender

jive wrote: »
    williams isn't a midfielder he's a defender

My bad, was working on an assumption since he came on for Herd, and he was definately getting forward at times. But then again considering our most dangerous runs in the last 10 minutes came from Lichaj, Clark and KEA - preffered position meant nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Drew Ipswich home in 3rd round of FA Cup. Good draw considering we normally get United at Old Trafford!

My bad, was working on an assumption since he came on for Herd, and he was definately getting forward at times. But then again considering our most dangerous runs in the last 10 minutes came from Lichaj, Clark and KEA - preffered position meant nothing

Another Irish player as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

No bother, just said I'd clarify given he's an irish lad and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Ex Villa man Liam Ridgewell

487094_415648731837630_652160149_n.jpg

Indo story

What a wally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah it's just a joke he sent to his mate. Article is well written but goes a bit over the top imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

did you have to blow that picture up its lunchtime....

• Advertisement

Someone tell Ridgewell he doesn't have to ruin legal tender, he can use the Indo next time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

Commendable use of the word "discommoded", solid punnage :p

All in all not a bad weekend for Villa. With the obvious exception of QPR (who by denying them a win, has piled more pressure onto them and 'Arry) - all the other teams near us lost this weekend. With Newcastle beating Wigan by 3 tonight we even managed to move up another place in the table.

So in the space of a week, we;ve gone from having to play Arsenal while in the relegation zone to unbeaten in 4 and 3 places above the relegation zone. Another win (sooner rather than later) would really lift us up into the mid table grouping and hopefully take a lot of pressure off our youngsters.

Also it's worth mentioning, this was nearly all achieved with a team consisting of 7 Under-23s, with Vlaar out but back soon and all the focus on Bent's situation.

Impossible to say whether we'll get anything out of the Stoke game tomorrow, especially with the unpredictable nature of this Villa side, but we still badly need points on the board.

Suits us a bit that Southampton V Reading and Wigan V QPR on the same day means the other teams down there can take points off each other.

Savman wrote: »
    Impossible to say whether we'll get anything out of the Stoke game tomorrow, especially with the unpredictable nature of this Villa side, but we still badly need points on the board.

Suits us a bit that Southampton V Reading and Wigan V QPR on the same day means the other teams down there can take points off each other.

Really need to get at least a draw with the fixtures to follow; a win would be immense:

15 Dec 15:00 - Liverpool (A)
    23 Dec 16:00 - Chelsea (A)
    26 Dec 17:30 - Tottenham (H)
    29 Dec 15:00 - Wigan (H)
    01 Jan 15:00 - Swansea (A)
    12 Jan 15:00 - Southampton (H)
    19 Jan 17:30 - West Brom (A)
    29 Jan 19:45 - Newcastle (H)

We'll be doing well to even a single point out of Chelsea, Tottenham or Liverpool.

However a draw tomorrow, a point somewhere from the following 3 games, then a win against Wigan would have us on 19 points from 19 games for the end of the calendar year, with a fixture list for January that really should see at least 4 points registered.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    We'll be doing well to even a single point out of Chelsea, Tottenham or Liverpool.

Maybe but those teams are all inconsistent as hell at the moment. By all accounts Liverpool were lucky to get the win aginst Southampton last week, Chelsea were hammered by West Ham (and could have 2 new manager's by the time we play them) and Spurs too have been running hot and cold. I'd almost be hoping for 3 points somehwere out of them.

This time of year also makes things that little more unpredictable too, with more games being squashed in over Christmas, players being tired and fans being out in more force can all swing things - a packed 'Boxing Day' Villa Park for Spurs could swing things. If we could get 9 points from Spurs and Wigan at home, and Swansea away we'd really be flying into the New Year.

But back to reality and now, I reckon we'll get a point tomorrow and it'll be a drab, drab game. Curious to see how Benteke manages against really big defenders like Huth, where his strenght will be less effective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Maybe but those teams are all inconsistent as hell at the moment. By all accounts Liverpool were lucky to get the win aginst Southampton last week, Chelsea were hammered by West Ham (and could have 2 new manager's by the time we play them) and Spurs too have been running hot and cold. I'd almost be hoping for 3 points somehwere out of them.

This time of year also makes things that little more unpredictable too, with more games being squashed in over Christmas, players being tired and fans being out in more force can all swing things - a packed 'Boxing Day' Villa Park for Spurs could swing things. If we could get 9 points from Spurs and Wigan at home, and Swansea away we'd really be flying into the New Year.

But back to reality and now, I reckon we'll get a point tomorrow and it'll be a drab, drab game. Curious to see how Benteke manages against really big defenders like Huth, where his strenght will be less effective

Ha! Good one...

3 points from those and I'd be happy.

15 Dec 15:00 - Liverpool (A)
    23 Dec 16:00 - Chelsea (A)
    26 Dec 17:30 - Tottenham (H)
    Yeesh, that's discomforting reading. Ah well, here's hoping for some kind of festive goodwill from the footballing gods.

Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Clark, Lichaj, Herd, Holman, Westwood, Bannan, Benteke, Agbonlahor. Subs: Given, Ireland, El Ahmadi, Bent, Delph, Weimann, Williams.

• Advertisement

Stoke and Villa must be one of the least attractive fixture's there is in the Prem. at the moment, even saying that Stoke are in good form, but needless to say it won't be a footballing spectacle, especially if the QPR cowardice of play is mirrored.

Very bright start by Villa but Stoke back in it a bit now.

For someone who's supposedly a creater, Bannan's passing can be woeful at times. Has not progressed at all since he first came on the senior scene.

Corholio wrote: »
    For someone who's supposedly a creater, Bannan's passing can be woeful at times. Has not progressed at all since he first came on the senior scene.

Yeah I agree on what I've seen today alright. He has a great touch, but never really does much with the ball.

Have to say probably the least effective Villa midfield I've seen in quite a few years. Painful to see players not have a clue what to do with the ball.

Bent and Ireland on.

Gabby off. Hardly know he was playing, as per the past 3 years tbh.

• Advertisement

McLeish got a lot of stick for supposedly playing for draws, hope Lambert get's the same if displays like the last few continue. Looked like no intention to try and win. Woeful.

McLeish got a lot of stick for supposedly playing for draws, hope Lambert get's the same if displays like the last few continue. Looked like no intention to try and win. Woeful.
    Bent and Ireland on.

Gabby off. Hardly know he was playing, as per the past 3 years tbh.
    Have to say probably the least effective Villa midfield I've seen in quite a few years. Painful to see players not have a clue what to do with the ball.

What game were you watching?

Villa bossed it early on, but just couldn't get a breakthrough against a team who are renowned for being hard to score against.

Lambert then stuck on Bent and Ireland in the second half, hardly playing for a draw.

Very harsh comments tbh.

What game were you watching?

Villa bossed it early on, but just couldn't get a breakthrough against a team who are renowned for being hard to score against.

Lambert then stuck on Bent and Ireland in the second half, hardly playing for a draw.

Very harsh comments tbh.

Did you watch the second half? Either keeper hardly touched the ball. Benteke had one blocked shot and there was nothing else. Villa didn't have any more of the ball when Bent and Ireland came on, the midfield are extremely poor at even holding onto the ball. Besides 10 minutes of pressure there was zero attempt to make a real go of winning that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Was at the game today, thought Villa were much the better side and Stoke were fortunate on a number of occasions. Didn't help that the ref spent most of the game allowing Stoke bully the young lads out of the game with only free kicks being given for clear yellow card offences.

Thought Baker and Westwood were the 2 big positives.

On the one hand we did go for the win and tried to bombard the Stoke penalty box, but we are so devoid of invention and lacking confidence it's distressing to watch.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I do think Ireland and Bent can only do so much coming off the bench and it's a big ask to expect them to try salvage something when they are not starting.

Just give us a win soon FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone know if the match tomorrow is on TV?

matrim wrote: »

It's not on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

matrim wrote: »
    It's not on Sky.

It's not on tomorrow.

kensutz wrote: »
    It's not on tomorrow.

It is!

It is!

Crap! I thought it was on Weds, there goes my plans for tomorrow night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

at times? His aimless 50 yard passes are a feature of his game. The fact that we have players like him in the team is the reason we'll be close to going down this year unless we pull a few rabbits out of the hat in January.

As for tonight, I can't see us getting through. Norwich will be up for this and are on a good run. Not to mention the fact that the villa are poor and seem to have no goals in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Not on tv at all tonight, www.liveonsat.com shows all stations worldwide that games are on and no one is fecking showing it, seemingly Bradford v Arsenal is a better game....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Very worried about this game tonight, playing a team that have gained succesive promotions and that are playing alot better than Villa at the moment in the premier league, how times have changed at Villa, is there ET tonight lads?

Yep and penalties. Wondering what side Hughton has out. Good news for ye is that Hoolahan is a doubt along with Tettey and Ryan Bennett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

thanks kensutz, Villa not conceding many lately but have been woeful going forward and that's been kind, I would be wary of Snodgrass and Plikington who have made the step up the premier league with ease, tough games coming up for Villa in the league also, hopefully lambert's faith in the younger players will pay off. Bent has to start tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement