Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Bent has to start tonight.
    If he does I wonder what type of perfomance he will put in. Can't see him busting a gut to get back into the team. I think he'll start on the bench again.

tough games coming up for Villa in the league also.
    Just looked at them there, Liverpool Chelsea away, spurs at home. We could be back in the relegation zone over Xmas. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

NCFC: Bunn, R Martin, Bassong, Barnett, Tierney, Pilkington, Johnson, Howson, Snodgrass, Holt, Morison.
    subs: Rudd, Turner, Jackson, E Bennett, Garrido, Francomb, D Fox

Aston Villa FC ‏
    AVFC: Given, Clark, El Ahmadi, Bent, Holman, Delph, Benteke, Lichaj, Herd, Baker, Lowton.
    Subs: Guzan, N’Zogbia, Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Bannan, Weimann, Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Interesting to see Given and Bent starting.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Interesting to see Given and Bent starting.

Given has started in the LC this season and Bent had to be given a chance IMO.

Ireland missing though.

JPA wrote: »
    Given has started in the LC this season and Bent had to be given a chance IMO.

Ireland missing though.

Yes but can you see Given reclaiming a place in the starting xi consistently?
    Also, this may be further proof to the 50 league appearance clause for Bent.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Yes but can you see Given reclaiming a place in the starting xi consistently?
    Also, this may be further proof to the 50 league appearance clause for Bent.

Can't see Given getting back in unless Guzan gives Lambert a reason to.

Norwich one up.

Now 1-1, Holman.

• Advertisement

A hell of a game according to the text commentary.
    Bent getting chances.

Now Bent off injured, goddammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Now Bent off injured, goddammit.

Hamstring according to my commentary. Last time in a Villa jersey?

Patser wrote: »
    Hamstring according to my commentary. Last time in a Villa jersey?

Won't be sold IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Weimann scores, Villa lead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Arsenal still losing too, maybe we can dram of a trophy

Weimann scores, Villa lead!

and again:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

3-1 Weimann again

Why are we saving all our goals for the league cup.

Good to see some goals after, what? 2 goals in 5 games!

• Advertisement

Things are coming together I feel.
    Shame about Bent being injured.

1-4, Bentekkers from 20 yards.

From Sky Sports:

What a goal that is from Benteke!!! 4-1!!

Honestly, that is one of the best goals I have seen this season. Villa pass the ball fifteen or sixteen times before working it to the edge of the area and allowing Benteke to strike. It makes you wonder how Villa are struggling

Glad we got the win and a few goals.

Any idea how we played overall. Sounded like a fairly even match until the last 10 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

highlights of this game anywhere?

matrim wrote: »
    Glad we got the win and a few goals.

Any idea how we played overall. Sounded like a fairly even match until the last 10 mins.

Seemed Villa were much better in the first half, Norwich then put Villa under a fair bit of pressure in the second before Villa cranked it up and obviously got the goals.

highlights of this game anywhere?

Should be on SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Just saw the stats and highlights. Seems we didn't play bad at all. I always take cup matches with a pinch of salt because of the format.

Wieman seems to be very capable of hitting the target when he only has time for one touch. That's 4 similar goals this season.

Other than Bakers back pass/super assist the back line seemed to do alright as well.

I'd still rather drop out with a team of teenagers in the semi final and aim for 12th-14th in the league instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not great quality video but atmosphere sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Great performance against a strong Norwich team, by accounts.

Benteke with a hand in 3 of the goals (4 if you give him a step-over dummy for Weimann's first :D).

You also see what Weimann brings to the team that Gabby will simply never have, in those beautiful one-touch finishes. With the likely high incidence of knockdowns from the target-man, this ability is crucial.

Also worth noting that Villa have conceded only 2 goals in the last 5 games, one of which was a bit of a blunder by Baker.

All very promising stuff - bring on Pool!

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Not great quality video but atmosphere sounds great

Looks like good build up play. The goals are on 101greatgoals now but it just shows the shot for the last one not the build up play.

It's stupid that in 2012 there was no way to watch this on TV and that the only highlights of the game are stupid 2 minutes ones from SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Anyone know hwne the draw for the semi's is likely to be on? I know Chelsea match isn't till next week so presume after that at some stage....

As for tonight, I can't see us getting through. Norwich will be up for this and are on a good run. Not to mention the fact that the villa are poor and seem to have no goals in the side.
    Glad I got that wrong. Nice to see Villa scoring four goals and I think that Weimann offers more of a goal threat than Gabby. Roll on Bradford in the Semi's.

The Draw is on after the Chelsea game next week.

Glad I got that wrong. Nice to see Villa scoring four goals and I think that Weimann offers more of a goal threat than Gabby. Roll on Bradford in the Semi's.

I agree with that but I think Gabby offers more of a threat outside the box and is a bit more likely to create something. So in a 3 up front Gabby offers more in the wide almost winger style role but in a 2 up front Wiemann offers more in the box.

I agree with that but I think Gabby offers more of a threat outside the box and is a bit more likely to create something. So in a 3 up front Gabby offers more in the wide almost winger style role but in a 2 up front Wiemann offers more in the box.

I'd agree with this, or I'd almost play Gabby out wide in a basic 4-5-1 and encourage a centre-mid like Ireland to get forward to feed off Benteke.

He should, but he doesn't. He's never been able to learn when to use his pace right, it's infuriating at times. He strolls around the pitch sometimes when he should be looking at a run in behind. Although Wiemann should only be played up front too. I think we have a good system, just without the quality of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Great performance and sure to give everyone a boost.
    Maybe we should play Weimann in his natural role a bit more? He could easily replace Bent up front.

Have to keep it going in the league now though, I'm not quite as hugely positive as some seem to be about the team based on some poor league performances. Norwich was a great win and have to carry over some of the league cup form, because Villa have never looked like they could score 4 in the league this season.

A cup this season would be fantastic.
    If Villa keep picking up points as they've done recently I can't see relegation happening.

• Advertisement

Does anyone on here feel the Zog was a big factor in the result? Would appear that there is a split decision over on VT.

Doodee wrote: »
    Does anyone on here feel the Zog was a big factor in the result? Would appear that there is a split decision over on VT.
    didn't see the game but N'Zogbia has shown in his disasterous time at Villa that he can't be relied upon. So even if he did play well its likely he'll be terrible in his next 5 apperances. £10m wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Alfreð Finnbogason is being linked to us as a possible replacement for Bent.

Great win the other night, hopefully we put in a similar performance against Liverpool on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

didn't see the game but N'Zogbia has shown in his disasterous time at Villa that he can't be relied upon. So even if he did play well its likely he'll be terrible in his next 5 apperances. £10m wasted.

What did Villa to do him. How did you turn a silk purse into a sow's ear ?

greendom wrote: »

Alex McCleish

greendom wrote: »
    They didn't. He was always a sow's ear that's why he was playing at wigan. Too many people thought he was a good player because of the odd cracker they saw him score on MOTD. There's a reason he wasn't a success at Newcastle and isn't a success at villa. He has the talent he just doesn't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335099&page=324

Look what I found - my MON post I got lashed for ! In hindsight, was I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

In fairness, there was quite a strong anti-MON movement going on back in '09 so I don't think this counts as you being ahead of the curve.

The Top 4 stuff still stands true though, only that is seems to have narrowed to a Top 2, aka The Barclays Manchester Premiership.

That link doesn't take me to any post of yours, for some reason?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Forgetting somebody Paul?
    Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert wants goals from "all over the pitch" to take the pressure off Andreas Weimann, Christian Benteke and Gabriel Agbonlahor.

That trio have supplied most of Villa's goals this season, though Lambert's men have been far from prolific, scoring just 12 in 16 Premier League games.

Lambert said: "You are looking for goals all over the pitch. It's not just about Christian, Andreas and Gabby.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8331574/Paul-Lambert-wants-goals-from-all-over-the-pitch-to-ease-pressure-on-strikers

Pretty clear cut that Bent has no future under PL and will be offloaded in the very near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Savman wrote: »
    In fairness, there was quite a strong anti-MON movement going on back in '09 so I don't think this counts as you being ahead of the curve.

The Top 4 stuff still stands true though, only that is seems to have narrowed to a Top 2, aka The Barclays Manchester Premiership.

Ah Savman, there was almost no anti O'Neill movement at the time :confused:

I remember getting an awful time about it - I'm not looking for praise of being ahead, just that I felt throwing away the chance to get champs league when 8pts clear in 4th in March was unforgivable. I didn't even realise how bad the finances and turnover vs wages situation was.

I think his performance at Sunderland has shown he continues to struggle in today's game. Having said that, I would have preferred him still to Alex McCleish.
    ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement