Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bent's injury has a timely whiff of suspicion about it. Wonder if he'll make a quick recovery once January hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The Guardian have been making very positive noises about Villa lately. At least in their Podcast, at any rate. Glendenning has been saying for several weeks that Villa look a side that are one good performance away from really going on a good run of results. Then this week, they mentioned that the atmosphere at Villa is very positive, the fans are all behind the Lambert project and that there really seems to be a team emerging where no one key man is the primary outlet; Delph slotting in for Bannan against Norwich, for example.

Now, whether or not you disagree with any of this, it's nice to see that the press is making this impression, because we all know the vital role they play in setting the mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The Guardian have been making very positive noises about Villa lately. At least in their Podcast, at any rate. Glendenning has been saying for several weeks that Villa look a side that are one good performance away from really going on a good run of results. Then this week, they mentioned that the atmosphere at Villa is very positive, the fans are all behind the Lambert project and that there really seems to be a team emerging where no one key man is the primary outlet; Delph slotting in for Bannan against Norwich, for example.

Now, whether or not you disagree with any of this, it's nice to see that the press is making this impression, because we all know the vital role they play in setting the mood.

Fully agree with this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

this game on TV today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

That link doesn't take me to any post of yours, for some reason?

:confused:
    I found it, he was like Morgan Kelly warning of the economic crash that was about to hit Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Aston Villa: Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Clark, Lichaj, Westwood, Herd, Holman, Bannan, Benteke, Weimann. Subs: Given, El Ahmadi, N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Delph, Bowery, Bennett.

Gabby missing from bench. Worrying if him and Bent are both injured. Ireland also awol? Let's hope that N'Zog's reported good game on Wednesday wasn't a flash in a pan as he's the only impact sub we seem to have available. Maybe Albrighton on his day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Terrible start by villa. Can't hold onto the ball at all, and very lucky not to be at least one down.

shoutman wrote: »
    Terrible start by villa. Can't hold onto the ball at all, and very lucky not to be at least one down.

Quoting this at HT just so I can use smile at least once, will get back to you at FT to join in the commiserations. But right now the table is looking much, much nicer. Villa up to 14th ahead of Newcastle and with a 3 point gpt to relegation zone. Sunderland and Wigan both losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

That was some performance. Great result. Really hope we can hold onto Benteke for the next few years because he is going to be magical.
    We gad 6 shots on target. I think Benteke and Weimann have proven to be a good partnership.

Was great ot see us soak up the pressure too. Unfortunate to concede and not keep a clean sheet but still delighted with the team. Hopefully this is start of a run for Villa and a bright 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Well that was a nice result to walk in and see, will be looking forward to MOTD for once! :D

Terrific win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Beast mode engaged.

CVE-20100128-Christian-BENTEKE-015-Edit1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

****in love Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Great result for Villa today, Liverpool were utter cack but that doesn't take away from our overall performance.

As for Benteke, what left is there to say about him, he is an absolute beast of a player. I'd say he has doubled trebled his transfer fee already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Doodee wrote: »
    That was some performance. Great result. Really hope we can hold onto Benteke for the next few years because he is going to be magical.
    We gad 6 shots on target. I think Benteke and Weimann have proven to be a good partnership.

Was great ot see us soak up the pressure too. Unfortunate to concede and not keep a clean sheet but still delighted with the team. Hopefully this is start of a run for Villa and a bright 2013.

Not wanting to put a downer on todays epic win. But we fully deserved to be 2 or 3 down after thirty minutes. Some of Liverpool's attacking was scandalous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thats more like it. Lucky to be ahead at the break but Benteke's putting away everything now. Still room for improvement but results like that will help. Bolster the midfield in January with strength and mightn't be too bad.

shoutman wrote: »
    Not wanting to put a downer on todays epic win. But we fully deserved to be 2 or 3 down after thirty minutes. Some of Liverpool's attacking was scandalous.

Ehh, in fairness to the team they closed them down lots.
    The stats were crazy for blocked shots from Villa.

I'm wondering if removing Banana had an effect on them scoring. He was a right terrier at times, and his size means he can nip in and get a toe on the ball.
    Well proud of the team today.

Things are looking up, a LC semi and hopefully some money for the window to look forward too, tough fixtures coming up now but confidence must be high now, onwards and upwards, MOTD on now. Where is the lad that was calling for Lamberts heard here on this thread eariler. Newcastle can't buy a win and Cisse is well off form, other teams losing around us today too makes the result better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very impressed with Benteke so far but it's always interesting to see how these lads do in the 2nd season. Same goes for Michu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Absolutely ecstatic!
    Villa win comprehensively and Liverpool suffer :-D

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Very impressed with Benteke so far but it's always interesting to see how these lads do in the 2nd season. Same goes for Michu.
    Players of Benteke's kind suffer less from this than the likes of Michu as with Benteke his goals aren't as much about being in the right place at the right time.

Benteke is some physical specimen and shouldn't stop being such a handful for defences anytime soon. The kind of player who'll be crucial for his team even if the goals dry up.

CSF wrote: »
    Players of Benteke's kind suffer less from this than the likes of Michu as with Benteke his goals aren't as much about being in the right place at the right time.

Benteke is some physical specimen and shouldn't stop being such a handful for defences anytime soon. The kind of player who'll be crucial for his team even if the goals dry up.

I think Benteke is the best "powerful" forward I've seen since Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

CSF wrote: »

The same was said about carroll. He's a good player but needs longer to prove he's worth all the praise and I really hope it's at Villa that he proves it

matrim wrote: »

The same was said about carroll. He's a good player but needs longer to prove he's worth all the praise and I really hope it's at Villa that he proves it

I think Benteke has extra dimensions to his game that Caroll lacks.

Benteke and Carroll are not alike.

Either way, Carroll has not performed badly, he's just been a victim of being signed by a manager who didn't actually want a player like him, and then had that manager replaced by a manager who wanted a player like him even less.

It's still a bit early to tell. It looks like he has that something extra as he can offer it both inside and outside the box. I have very high hopes for Benteke but calling him the next Drogba is a bit early. He has similarities but needs time to prove it and if he can do it in a second season it will start to do show it. Sometimes other teams need to learn how to defend against someone. They might do it with Benteke but I'm hopeful and doubt they will as he does seem like a beast and has a lot of potential

• Advertisement

It's still a bit early to tell. It looks like he has that something extra as he can offer it both inside and outside the box. I have very high hopes for Benteke but calling him the next Drogba is a bit early. He has similarities but needs time to prove it and if he can do it in a second season it will start to do show it. Sometimes other teams need to learn how to defend against someone. They might do it with Benteke but I'm hopeful and doubt they will as he does seem like a beast and has a lot of potential
    I don't think Benteke will ever be good as Drogba at his peak. But sure not many will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Carrolls lifestyle holds him back, let's hope Benteke doesn't have any of those issues.

Not a hope we can hold onto Benteke if he keeps playing the way he has, one season wonder or not (and I don't think he is), we will be unable to resist any serious offer from any of the top clubs in Europe. That's the way it is with Randy these days unfortunately.

The 2nd goal from Weimann was just sublime and the 3rd Benteke made look easy. More of that please :D

Savman wrote: »
    Not a hope we can hold onto Benteke if he keeps playing the way he has, one season wonder or not (and I don't think he is), we will be unable to resist any serious offer from any of the top clubs in Europe. That's the way it is with Randy these days unfortunately.

The 2nd goal from Weimann was just sublime and the 3rd Benteke made look easy. More of that please :D

I don't know. We've almost been relegated twice now after selling our star players. I would like to think that is recognised at board level and that if PL can hold up to his promises then we will take more of a Spurs like stance with regards to keeping players.
    The club is in a far healthier position now than when we sold Barry, Young and Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Weimann reminds me of Kevin Phillips, real natural finisher, fox in the box who also works hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The two things that impress me most about Benteke are his attitude and his footballing inteligence. He rarely makes a wrong decision. Hopefully Villa are able to hold on to him for long enough to build the team around him.

Benteke has done well. I think he himself thrives off a player like Weimann, who gets in space, keeps defenders honest and gets Benteke more time on the ball. He's 3 months into a 4 year contract so no way he'll be leaving anytime soon unless a hefty wedge comes the other way. 3 points yesterday were a massive bonus. Not expecting miracles for the next 2 games, but hopefully a win then against Wigan will have us in a decent position going into the new year - 21 pts from 20 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I reckon its a good time to play Chelsea considering they've been in Japan recently.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I reckon its a good time to play Chelsea considering they've been in Japan recently.

Yep, they have to fly home and then play Leeds in the league cup on Wednesday. So hopefully tiredness will be an issue. Also if they were to lose to Leeds and go out of another Cup (3 cups gone in 2 weeks), the pressure on Rafa and their team would be huge. Against a happy Villa side looking forward to things finally we could easily catch them.

Patser wrote: »
    Yep, they have to fly home and then play Leeds in the league cup on Wednesday. So hopefully tiredness will be an issue. Also if they were to lose to Leeds and go out of another Cup (3 cups gone in 2 weeks), the pressure on Rafa and their team would be huge. Against a happy Villa side looking forward to things finally we could easily catch them.
    could easily catch them? Have every chance of getting something from the game but can't see the win myself, they have quality all over the pitch and SB is a tough place to go.

could easily catch them? Have every chance of getting something from the game but can't see the win myself, they have quality all over the pitch and SB is a tough place to go.

So was Anfield for us over the last 10 years.

I hear ya and we have had a couple of decent performances in the PL at SB recently but even though Chelsea will be tired and assuming he plays a 2nd string or at least rests a few key players like Mata, Hazard for Wednesday night then they will be a different animal to what if we are been honest is a poor Liverpool side.

Not even gonna try predict what we'll get from the Chelsea game, even a knackered Chelsea will still be favourites.

In any season, even for the biggest clubs, a point at Stamford Bridge is quite respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Would definitely take a point from that game. Just because we've had two good wins a week, doesn't mean we're world beaters lads!

0,,10265~11497840,00.jpg

• Advertisement

Soooo....

Counting the game where he picked up the injury, since Vlaar has been out, Villa are unbeaten in all competitions, have picked up 9 points from 15 in the league, reached the semi-final of the League Cup and only conceded 3 goals in 6 games.

:o

Soooo....

Counting the game where he picked up the injury, since Vlaar has been out, Villa are unbeaten in all competitions, have picked up 9 points from 15 in the league, reached the semi-final of the League Cup and only conceded 3 goals in 6 games.

Don't you mean since Baker has started? :D

Soooo....

It is quite an interesting stat. But there have been a few other changes too, I think the Bannan / Westwood midfield only started around his injury, while on paper it's not the most defensive I think it's worked better than Delph and KEA. Plus the more defensive 352 formation has only been for the last 2 or 3 games.

Overall I think we've been a bit more cautious since his injury and I think that has helped the defence as they are not as exposed. In the first couple of those games we suffered in attack, Now the attack is gelling we are taking the few chances we get so it isn't so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It is quite an interesting stat. But there have been a few other changes too, I think the Bannan / Westwood midfield only started around his injury, while on paper it's not the most defensive I think it's worked better than Delph and KEA. Plus the more defensive 352 formation has only been for the last 2 or 3 games.

Overall I think we've been a bit more cautious since his injury and I think that has helped the defence as they are not as exposed. In the first couple of those games we suffered in attack, Now the attack is gelling we are taking the few chances we get so it isn't so bad.

I think the attack will have to keep taking the chances because I still have a worry about that Bannan and Westwood combination, definitely don't think it's a medium to long term solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Soooo....

I think Clark and Baker deserve their place. They haven't looked out of depth. We got a couple of good wins and a couple of away wins which we just haven't been doing since MON left.

Clark and Baker have done well, I think it helps that they have played together for a long time in a successful reserve side. The only thing I'd be worried about them is playing against a strong forward as neither are the most physically imposing.

I wonder if we will stick with 3 / 5 at the back when Vlaar is back. Vlaar, Clark, Baker should be a very good central trio as they all have slightly different attributes so should complement each other.

The only thing I'd be worried about them is playing against a strong forward as neither are the most physically imposing.

I disagree. Baker in particular is around the same height as Benteke and has very similar physical attributes. Clark is slightly smaller at 6'2 but is still a very tough defender who never backs out of a tackle.

I'd also like to see Vlaar paired with them in a 3-5-2 but I'm not sure if Lambert would drop a full back for another centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Raekwon wrote: »
    I disagree. Baker in particular is around the same height as Benteke and has very similar physical attributes. Clark is slightly smaller at 6'2 but is still a very tough defender who never backs out of a tackle.

I'd also like to see Vlaar paired with them in a 3-5-2 but I'm not sure if Lambert would drop a full back for another centre half.

no question, he will drop Herd when Vlaar is back and the fullbacks will keep their place. 3-5-2 formation isn't dependant on whether Vlaar plays or not, he will also keep the formation.

Fullbacks are an integral part to Lambos tactics.

oh, and Baker is 6ft 2" (conflicting reports on net)
    Clark is 6ft 2"
    Benteke is 6ft 3"

Edit: I made a balls of the quote! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Raekwon wrote: »

Clark is definitely physically smaller, as seen in the Reading game where he got bullied by Jason Roberts. I found it strange that Clark and Baker didn't switch who they were marking...Baker might have a bit more pace than Clark and hence took LeFondre.

I really think that game was an excellent lesson for Clark, he won't ever have the bulk to take someone like Roberts on for strength and needs to use his smarts to win the ball.

I have no doubt that when Clark loses some of his impetousity (too many bookings) he will be a Villa and Ireland legend.

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Clark is definitely physically smaller, as seen in the Reading game where he got bullied by Jason Roberts. I found it strange that Clark and Baker didn't switch who they were marking...Baker might have a bit more pace than Clark and hence took LeFondre.

I really think that game was an excellent lesson for Clark, he won't ever have the bulk to take someone like Roberts on for strength and needs to use his smarts to win the ball.

I have no doubt that when Clark loses some of his impetousity (too many bookings) he will be a Villa and Ireland legend.

Yeah you are spot on.

According to the official site, Clark is only 12st 0lbs (76.2kg) while Baker is a full stone heavier then him at 13st 0lbs (82.4kg), you can definitely notice the size difference when they are standing next to each other.

On the other hand Ron Vlaar is surprisingly only 5' 11" and 12st 6lbs (79.0kg) while Richard Dunne is 6' 2" (188cm) and a hefty 15st 0lbs (95.34kg).

I'd like to see Clark bulk up abit, as like you say, he has the potentially to become a legend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement