Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Leeds 1 up ATM here's hoping Colin W**ker and the boys take Chelsea to extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Happy days. Bradford in the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wembley dream is really alive, if only Leeds had beaten Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

shoutman wrote: »
    Happy days. Bradford in the semis.
    I bet Arsenal fans taught that when they were drawn Bradford too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »

Over 2 legs there's no excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

JPA wrote: »
    Over 2 legs there's no excuses.

There were no excuses for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Couldn't have asked for a better draw - Bradford with the home game second. Makes a change from our usual United in the early rounds. Real, real chance of making it to Wembley now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Yeah, I bet they were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Something seriously wrong if we don't make it to Wembley tbh, sure they are always potential banana skins but over 2 games you would really think that we should just be that bit stronger.

I'll take it ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

There was a lot of talk on the radio if Dunne going to Malaga in January. Googling it showed a lot of results dating to mid-November but it's looking more concrete now as Malaga looking for experienced defensive cover while competing in Champions League.

IMO it wouldn't be bad for Villa to offload another high wage earner - especially if we got some cash for a player soon out of contract - and with the fact he hasn't really been missed in defence. In fact he'd probably struggle under Lambert to get his place back.

Link added

http://clare.fm/sport/malaga-may-make-move-richard-dunne

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    There was a lot of talk on the radio if Dunne going to Malaga in January. Googling it showed a lot of results dating to mid-November but it's looking more concrete now as Malaga looking for experienced defensive cover while competing in Champions League.

IMO it wouldn't be bad for Villa to offload another high wage earner - especially if we got some cash for a player soon out of contract - and with the fact he hasn't really been missed in defence. In fact he'd probably struggle under Lambert to get his place back.

I think the club would be only delighted to get rid of him. Would be shocked if he signed for Malaga though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Great deal all round if it happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

The Dunne rumours have been circulating all season but they were mainly about him moving to Stoke as Tony Pulis is a big fan of his.

This Malaga rumour is a new one but I can't see Dunne moving to Spain at his age and especially with his wage demands and injury record. Plus Malaga already have four good centre backs in the shape of Weligton Oliveira, Martín Demichelis, Oguchi Onyewu & Sergio Sánchez so they don't really need Dunne.

One thing is for sure is that Dunne needs to be taken off the wage bill and moved on at this stage especially since Vlaar, Clark & Baker have done so well in his absence.

Speaking of centre backs, the rumour linking us with Porto's Abdoulaye Ba has resurfaced again. We were apparently rebuffed by Porto last month as we were looking at a loan deal but they were only will to sell. So if Dunne does leave then it might clear the path for us to sign the 6'6 Senegalese international for an estimated £3m? Could be worth a punt especially as he has some Champions League experience.

Are Warnock and Hutton still officially on the books, Warnock is out on loa nto Bolton is it, what are the chances of getting rid of these two permanently next month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Are Warnock and Hutton still officially on the books, Warnock is out on loa nto Bolton is it, what are the chances of getting rid of these two permanently next month?

I think Warnock is in the last year of his contract so if he stays out on loan it's not too big a deal, but I'm not sure on Hutton. I think he might still have another year or two and I haven't heard any rumours about him leaving. I'd say the only chance is if we continue to pay half his wages

Hutton is 18 months into a 4 year contract but he is on loan at Nottingham Forest until January so hopefully we'll be able to get rid of him then.

Results today put a little bit of pressure back on Villa, with Newcastle and Sunderland winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

True Neil, but Reading, Wigan, Southampton and QPR lpst, hoping for a win tomorrow but can't see it if i'm been honest. A 1-1 draw with Clark to score from a corner early on, only for Mata to equalise with a free kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

At the in-laws for chrimbo. Anyone know of some iPad friendly streams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

At this level, seriously how much times did the commentators say that :mad:

• Advertisement

A result like this could destroy the team. Morale will be shot, goal difference shagged, pressure right back on. Hopefully Christmas takes their minds off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Atrocious doesn't describe it, hope the league cup blinkers can be off now and see that the result wasnt a huge shock. Powderpuff midfield isn't gonna get Villa anywhere. Looked like a Championship team there today and Chelsea weren't even brilliant either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That was some horror show, absolutely pathetic. Do those lads train together or just turn up and play on match day?! Ireland, the only real ball player in the squad sitting on the bench week after week is a joke too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fullstop wrote: »
    That was some horror show, absolutely pathetic. Do those lads train together or just turn up and play on match day?! Ireland, the only real ball player in the squad sitting on the bench week after week is a joke too.

just back from illness tbf.

They were as ragged against liverpool in the first 30 minutes too but luckily liverpool had nobody to score.

So bloody lightweight its unreal. The midfield is the weakest link. Formation has to change. Only for Benteke we'd be rooted to the bottom of the table.

Players and management should't be paid for a month after that, absolutely embarrassing.

That was one of the worst defensive displays that I've ever seen, Clark in particular was awful today, if it wasn't for Guzan they could have been well into double figures.

They were as ragged against liverpool in the first 30 minutes too but luckily liverpool had nobody to score.

So bloody lightweight its unreal. The midfield is the weakest link. Formation has to change. Only for Benteke we'd be rooted to the bottom of the table.

Players and management should't be paid for a month after that, absolutely embarrassing.

Ahh here. That's just retarded.
    It was a bad game, and the difference in class showed. Look at the names on the Chelsea team sheet. I mean even the Chelsea subs were world class.
    There are going to be a few more of those results between now and next season. The mark of a true team is picking themselves up and carrying them selves forward. Bit of experience would help here.

Ireland had some lovely touches when he came on. Hope he features a bit more for us now. Guy needs a proper season and show of support from a manager and he will get back to old ways.

Bring on Spurs and the transfer window.

Doodee wrote: »
    It was a bad game, and the difference in class showed. Look at the names on the Chelsea team sheet. I mean even the Chelsea subs were world class.
    There are going to be a few more of those results between now and next season. The mark of a true team is picking themselves up and carrying them selves forward. Bit of experience would help here.

Ireland had some lovely touches when he came on. Hope he features a bit more for us now. Guy needs a proper season and show of support from a manager and he will get back to old ways.

Bring on Spurs and the transfer window.

I hope not, that was completely unacceptable. Difference in class shouldn't be anywhere near 8 goals in a top league. The big problem with the midfield is defensively it is as soft as anything in the entire league. While I'd give them more time, Lowton, Bennett and Westwood haven't impressed at all, at time they look lost in games. It's Lambert's own choice so far not to buy experience, he might have to change that outlook or lesser teams like Chelsea will go right through Villa, as they have already this season (QPR, Southampton)

Corholio wrote: »

I hope not, that was completely unacceptable. Difference in class shouldn't be anywhere near 8 goals in a top league. The big problem with the midfield is defensively it is as soft as anything in the entire league. While I'd give them more time, Lowton, Bennett and Westwood haven't impressed at all, at time they look lost in games. It's Lambert's own choice so far not to buy experience, he might have to change that outlook or lesser teams like Chelsea will go right through Villa, as they have already this season (QPR, Southampton)

Lowton and Westwood have been excellent in many games, obviously outclassed today.

• Advertisement

Worst performance and result I've ever seen, Lerner & Lambert really need to look at themselves and what they have done to the squad. It was men against boys stuff and if not for some exceptional goalkeeping from Guzan it would have easily been double figures.

Shameful shameful display, after looking like we turned the corner with a couple of good results recently too. I honestly can't remember a performance as bad as that so this is a low point without a doubt.

No time to lick the wounds either, if they don't get it together ASAP its another relegation dogfight except this time around we won't have the experienced players to call upon as we have seemingly offloaded most of them to trim the wage bill. Randy has put all his fath in a bunch of young inexperienced players and gambled the clubs premiership status IMHO.

Hard not to have a knee jerk reaction but there should be a real snse of urgency about Villa that has been missing in any games this season, almost as if fans and players alike were prepared to just see the season out with a midtable finish.

Well immediate action is clearly needed, RL has to stand by his man and back him financially to get in some badly needed experience in January.

Otherwise, I genuinely, probably for the first time ever, fear the worst.

Guys these results happen with a young team. The goal difference has been badly hurt today, but it's not the end of the world. We are on form to stay up, points-games wise, and had a nice run of results leading up to today. All with the same young players. The fact still remains that the style of play is coming together, and a few additions to the team will see things improve greatly. Even Vlaar coming back should add some leadership. All this was the case before today, and it's still the case now.

Regarding the game, we conceded early, the heads dropped and when players like mata and hazard smell blood, you're going to get hurt. Guzan, i also thought, was at fault for at least 3 of the goals, getting caught flat footed, though he made a fine stop for the penalty.

So anyway, no doom and gloom needed, just a series of unfortunate events against an excellent side.

The whole team was poor today. Guzan could have done better for at least 2 of their goals. The back 5 were very poor (especially Herd and Lichaj), midfield was poor and wasteful, Bannan not strong enough and Holman very wasteful when in good positions. Wiemann tired hard but didn't get much luck and Benteke was very poor in his positioning

For me the only players to come out with any bit of credit were Wiemann who worked hard, Ireland who looked a threat and I think should be on instead of Holman next game and Bennet who at least showed some attacking threat on the left but may still be suspect in defence

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Guzan, i also thought, was at fault for at least 3 of the goals, getting caught flat footed, though he made a fine stop for the penalty.

So anyway, no doom and gloom needed, just a series of unfortunate events against an excellent side.
    Can't say I agree about Guzan, when you consider that he was given absolutely no protection whatsoever from his back line, of course he is going to look suspect. Even still he pulled out some top drawer saves while the rest of the team had their heads stuck up their asses chasing shadows.

Ireland did as much as he could have but was not an easy game to come off the bench.

Not doom and gloom but reality check time, we have an excellent young squad that needs time we don't have.

Savman wrote: »
    Can't say I agree about Guzan, when you consider that he was given absolutely no protection whatsoever from his back line, of course he is going to look suspect. Even still he pulled out some top drawer saves while the rest of the team had their heads stuck up their asses chasing shadows.

Ireland did as much as he could have but was not an easy game to come off the bench.

Not doom and gloom but reality check time, we have an excellent young squad that needs time we don't have.

What was our league position this time last season? What about the season before under GED?

I've been appreciative of what Lambert has been doing with minimal funding so far and we must have one of the best finances in the league now with the massive drops in wages over the last few seasons. But you have to ask the question of exactly how much is Lerner looking to cut? At what point do we get some funding to reinvest? I know Benteke cost a fair few million but in comparison to other teams that I'd put at the same level as us (Stoke, Everton for example) we've lost any sort of core experience to the team. Bannon was our most experienced player on the ptch today. Think about that, Bannon - who's been on up and coming, bit part player for us over the last 2 seasons is suddenly the player with our highest appearances. Clark gets the captaincy today, again for similar reasons.

With that level of inexperience and unfamiliarity amongst the team I do fear we'll get a feew hidings like today - as when we go a few behind the team does seem to let the heads drop.

That all said, I still prefer our current way of playing, where we have a go at teams. Win 1, lose 1 (badly) will do us more good in the league table than the draw, draw, draw, lose (closely) pattern we had earlier in the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Terribly **** day, thankfully no less points gotten than were expected so get the oul heads right, don't dwell on it and start picking up the points that are expected.

Ireland has to start, look like the only player that can unlock a defence with a pass, why won't Lambert start him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Was at game today, 1st in a long time, didn't think we'd get anything but didn't think we'd get hit for eight, over once the first goal had gone in IMO.

Weimann chased a lot of lost causes, bags of energy, other than that can't comment or analyse 2nd half as the ball didn't come down our end that often. Villa players couldn't get off the pitch quick enough at the end.

The important thing is to put the result behind us and regroup for Spurs and Wigan games.

JPA wrote: »
    Lowton and Westwood have been excellent in many games, obviously outclassed today.

Not from what I've seen, Lowton alone has been responsible for about 4 goals this season. Westwood, along with Bannan has been overran in a few games. Westwood can look ok in patches, but seems to completely go out of a game past half time.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Guys these results happen with a young team. The goal difference has been badly hurt today, but it's not the end of the world. We are on form to stay up, points-games wise, and had a nice run of results leading up to today. All with the same young players. The fact still remains that the style of play is coming together, and a few additions to the team will see things improve greatly. Even Vlaar coming back should add some leadership. All this was the case before today, and it's still the case now.

Regarding the game, we conceded early, the heads dropped and when players like mata and hazard smell blood, you're going to get hurt. Guzan, i also thought, was at fault for at least 3 of the goals, getting caught flat footed, though he made a fine stop for the penalty.

I don't fully agree, results like this happen with a poor team. I knew that people would respond with the Chelsea are a good side defence, and that's fair enough. But it's been coming for weeks, despite the mask of the league cup, being overrun by QPR and battered by Southampton in the second half. I actually don't think there's any consistency in the style of play sometimes, at times can pass the ball ok and other times (QPR) it was as defensive as anything under McLeish.

The result today, a record premier league defeat, should never happen young team or not. Midfield, experience wise and quality wise is as poor as it's been for years.

• Advertisement

I've was just thinking, maybe we should give Shay Given a run in the team to add some experience and try and organise our young defence.

I know Guzan has been very impressive this season and he is a great shot stopper but I'm still not convinced that he controls his area well enough plus his distribution is woeful at times. He's also very inexperienced compared to Shay and Given has done well in our League Cup run.

Just a thought.

Raekwon wrote: »
    I've was just thinking, maybe we should give Shay Given a run in the team to add some experience and try and organise our young defence.

I know Guzan has been very impressive this season and he is a great shot stopper but I'm still not convinced that he controls his area well enough plus his distribution is woeful at times. He's also very inexperienced compared to Shay and Given has done well in our League Cup run.

Just a thought.
    Why would you replace one of our better players this season?

Guzans distribution has been bad at times but I feel more confident with him that with Given. He seems to be as good a shot stopper as Given but has the added benefit of being more vocal and commanding at crosses allow the defenders to rely on him a bit more.

Why would you replace one of our better players this season?

Because we need a leader at the back and Given is the most experienced player at the club by a country mile.

Yes Guzan has been outstanding at stopping shots but he is playing with a bunch or lads all under 24 and I don't think he is vocal or commanding enough to organise them properly. If Vlaar was fit it would be a different story but as it stands we have conceded 28 goals in the 16 games that Guzan has played in so far this season and we now have the worst goal difference in the league.

I think it's only fair to point out that I've been drinking all evening so maybe I'll change my mind in the morning? :P

It was a bad game, and the difference in class showed.

Its not retarded, they brought world wide shame/embarrassment/humiliation on the club yesterday, turned the club into a laughing stock.

It's absolutely disgraceful for the team to lose 8-0 considering they beat Liverpool at Anfield the week before, what a bunch of mugs to put in a shift like that before Xmas, cheers for thinking of the fans lads.

In any other job, if the employees brought as much shame apon their company they'd be fired, to suggest these lazy players who earn ridiculous amounts anyway be docked a months wage is totally acceptable, you can bet if they won the league cup they'd be looking for a bonus, performance related should work both ways.

The league cup game against Norwich where Given played showed just why he's been dropped.
    He simply can't collect crosses or control the box.

Its not retarded, they brought world wide shame/embarrassment/humiliation on the club yesterday, turned the club into a laughing stock.

It's absolutely disgraceful for the team to lose 8-0 considering they beat Liverpool at Anfield the week before, what a bunch of mugs to put in a shift like that before Xmas, cheers for thinking of the fans lads.

In any other job, if the employees brought as much shame apon their company they'd be fired, to suggest these lazy players who earn ridiculous amounts anyway be docked a months wage is totally acceptable, you can bet if they won the league cup they'd be looking for a bonus, performance related should work both ways.

World wide shame?
    I wish Villa were that well known world wide.
    FFS, be realistic. Arsenal lost by a similar shoreline to united and had players like Van Persie in their squad.
    We lost by 7 only 2 years before.
    Loosing 8-0 to Southampton, Wigan, Pool or Spurs and you might have a point but to loose to a club who won the Champs league and just returned from the club World Cup no. It is retarded. When have you been docked a months wages for a bad day at the office?
    This is a young team with a young manager changing the fundamentals of football at the club. I honestly couldn't give a **** if we lost by 20 providing they go out next time against Spurs and prove to the fans and league that they won't let it happen again, and are hungry to prove themselves worth of the club and its football. There is a proper plan in place at Villa, and not the same one as we had with MON, but a proper exciting and attractive philosophy which will reap huge rewards for us if we stay the course.

Last night someone mentioned during an NFL match that it's easier to coach after a big loss than it is a big win. I think yesterday supported the latter part of this point, and hopefully the match on Stephen's Day will support the first.

This is a young team with a young manager changing the fundamentals of football at the club. I honestly couldn't give a **** if we lost by 20 providing they go out next time against Spurs and prove to the fans and league that they won't let it happen again, and are hungry to prove themselves worth of the club and its football. There is a proper plan in place at Villa, and not the same one as we had with MON, but a proper exciting and attractive philosophy which will reap huge rewards for us if we stay the course.
    This level of forgiveness astound me tbh, there are no positives to be taken from a result like that and if it doesn't serve as a wake up call then I don't know what will. That result should be the catalyst for change, it's far too early to say whether it's just a freak result as the blind faith supporters would have us all believe. Hammerings knock confidence and Spurs won't be doing us any favours.

Anyway it's Sh*tmas Eve so probably a good time to switch off from the misery and binge on wine and Cadbury's roses.

This approach is completely uncalled for without knowing more about the players' mindsets. Just because they lost 8-0 doesn't mean that at least some of the players didn't give their best and under no other circumstance should extra punishment be used. The players got a hiding in a televised match, do you think they are proud about that? Do you think they don't care? Do you think they didn't wake up this morning feeling like dog ****? I obviously can't say for certain that they did, but unless you are absolute sure of the contrary, you're just needlessly kicking people when they are already down; this is a dated approach to management in any context and in the long run it does far more harm than good.

A competent manager will first thoroughly analyse all the mistakes which led to goals and set reference points for future performances. Isolate the players that genuinely weren't trying and drop them. Commiserate those who gave it their all, and let them know that this result doesn't reflect on them as a player. You then set the challenge to the players that it takes much more of a man to come back from such a defeat, than it does to coast through in a team that wins every week. Get everyone together and collectively bought into the idea that the only way to shake the stink of the loss is to use it to their advantage, and come roaring back, full-throttle against the next opponents.

Or, you could go down the Phil Brown's half-time team-talk on the pitch approach....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement