Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

3-0 is about fair, Villa have been awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

JPA wrote: »
    Wow, we've really turned to ****e.

Yep - i can't see anyway back from this.

Maybe we could sign a 24m striker in Jan to rescue us from relegation??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

YES! The goal machine Jordan Bowery is coming on! F**k right off! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Triple substitution with half an hour to go :eek:
    Lambert has officially lost the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Shocking, I can't remember a team being in such bad form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Doodee wrote: »
    World wide shame?

This is a young team with a young manager changing the fundamentals of football at the club. I honestly couldn't give a **** if we lost by 20 providing they go out next time against Spurs and prove to the fans and league that they won't let it happen again, and are hungry to prove themselves worth of the club and its football. There is a proper plan in place at Villa, and not the same one as we had with MON, but a proper exciting and attractive philosophy which will reap huge rewards for us if we stay the course.

To win the championship?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This approach is completely uncalled for without knowing more about the players' mindsets. Just because they lost 8-0 doesn't mean that at least some of the players didn't give their best and under no other circumstance should extra punishment be used. The players got a hiding in a televised match, do you think they are proud about that? Do you think they don't care? Do you think they didn't wake up this morning feeling like dog ****? I obviously can't say for certain that they did, but unless you are absolute sure of the contrary, you're just needlessly kicking people when they are already down; this is a dated approach to management in any context and in the long run it does far more harm than good.

A competent manager will first thoroughly analyse all the mistakes which led to goals and set reference points for future performances. Isolate the players that genuinely weren't trying and drop them. Commiserate those who gave it their all, and let them know that this result doesn't reflect on them as a player. You then set the challenge to the players that it takes much more of a man to come back from such a defeat, than it does to coast through in a team that wins every week. Get everyone together and collectively bought into the idea that the only way to shake the stink of the loss is to use it to their advantage, and come roaring back, full-throttle against the next opponents.

Or, you could go down the Phil Brown's half-time team-talk on the pitch approach....

LOL at you defending them.

Worst defence in the league.
    Worst goalscoring record in the league.
    Record defeat away to Chelsea.
    15 goals conceded in 3 games.

Makes you wonder what more Paul Lambert has to do to get his marching orders, there's always relegation left I suppose.

Savman wrote: »
    Triple substitution with half an hour to go :eek:
    Lambert has officially lost the plot.

Nothing strange about that at all.

But the signing of Bowery and actually playing him never made any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Money has to be spent to plug the hole where Villa's midfield is.

• Advertisement

Nothing strange about that at all.
    3 changes at 3 down? Last act of desperation tbh.

Esse85 wrote: »
    To win the championship?
    LOL at you defending them.

Couldn't even make it to the final whistle before having cheap, childish pops, could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Feel bad for Lambert, this team is clearly not up to it and he looks on the verge of a breakdown. 15 goals conceded in three games is relegation form, pure and simple.

Wouldn't like to see Villa go down, always had a soft spot for ye.

Nothing to lose.

Couldn't even make it to the final whistle before having cheap, childish pops, could you?

In fairness Neil, you made your bed here with your blinkered defence of PL & his misfits. Can't be complaining when this comes back to bite you in the arse.

markesmith wrote: »
    Feel bad for Lambert, this team is clearly not up to it and he looks on the verge of a breakdown. 15 goals conceded in three games is relegation form, pure and simple.

Wouldn't like to see Villa go down, always had a soft spot for ye.

He made this team.

In fairness Neil, you made your bed here with your blinkered defence of PL & his misfits. Can't be complaining when this comes back to bite you in the arse.

Where was my opinion in the slightest way blinkered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

But if he changed nothing he would be slated for having no plan B. When you're getting beaten 3-0 at home, coming off the back of an 8-0 and a 4-0 I'd imagine he would be happy to make 11 changes if he was able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

He made this team.

Seems he's a bit hamstrung by finances, would that be a fair assessment?

Where was my opinion in the slightest way blinkered?

What?!? You were the shining light of optimism a few days ago, I challenge anyone to find positives in this display or anything to do with this team.

They are a poor side and Lambert has confirmed that he is a one season wonder.

• Advertisement

I've said it before on many an occasion that you live in cloud cuckoo land and most of the time haven't a clue what your talking about, the same can be said of Helix.

Whether I state it pre, mid or post game is irrelevant.

markesmith wrote: »

Seems he's a bit hamstrung by finances, would that be a fair assessment?

Villa spent a decent amount in the summer, they had to, it was just spread over a number of signings.

I support his promotion of youth buy there is too many of them being played at once.

But if he changed nothing he would be slated for having no plan B. When you're getting beaten 3-0 at home, coming off the back of an 8-0 and a 4-0 I'd imagine he would be happy to make 11 changes if he was able to.

Hardly tactically astute though is it? Could have made changes at any point, 1-0, HT, 2-0, nothing. 3-0...oh hell throw everyone on.

Genius.

What?!? You were the shining light of optimism a few days ago, I challenge anyone to find positives in this display or anything to do with this team.

They are a poor side and Lambert has confirmed that he is a one season wonder.

Providing the optimistic perspective, or probably more accurately, offering a different perspective to one of doom, is not being blinkered though.

Providing the optimistic perspective, or probably more accurately, offering a different perspective to one of doom, is not being blinkered though.

It's not "doom" when it's based on fact. Look at our league record, it speaks for itself. No matter what coherent argument is put forward, the proof is in the pudding and this team has fallen well short.

Look at the results for jaysis sake.

Seriously, if you buy players from the second, third & forth tier of English football then play them in the Premier League then this is what happens.

Lambert needs to bench or drop Lowton, Bennett, Westwood & Bowery and buy some quality experienced players in January or Villa will be relegated this season.

There's being realistic, being optimistic and talking rubbish and the majority of time you talk the latter.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Seriously, if you buy players from the second, third & forth tier of English football then play them in the Premier League then this is what happens.

Lambert needs to bench or drop Lowton, Bennett, Westwood & Bowery and buy some quality experienced players in January or Villa will be relegated this season.
    Best post of the day.

This is a fact.

There's being realistic, being optimistic and talking rubbish and the majority of time you talk the latter.

Steady, now. Neil's points are always sincere, in this case just sincerely wrong IMHO.

No need for the scorpi-ness, it's a sh*tty time to be a Villa fan, why make it worse?

• Advertisement

It's not "doom" when it's based on fact. Look at our league record, it speaks for itself. No matter what coherent argument is put forward, the proof is in the pudding and this team has fallen well short.

Look at the results for jaysis sake.

But I never suggested everything was going great. My main points over the last few days has been that the players are simply not good enough, but given their youth, they might improve, and given our reduced wage-bill, we have scope to improve the team. Thus, it's not all doom and gloom and I won't be fearing relegation until the middle of February. If that's being blinkered, then I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In fairness I don't think anyone was necessarily blinkered, just being optimistic, even if I saw not much to be positive about.

Been saying it since the start of the season that I couldn't see any huge difference between this and last season, except being worse defensively and too inexperienced. However, I couldn't see Villa being as bad as they have the last 3 games, outrageously bad.

But I never suggested everything was going great. My main points over the last few days has been that the players are simply not good enough, but given their youth, they might improve, and given our reduced wage-bill, we have scope to improve the team. Thus, it's not all doom and gloom and I won't be fearing relegation until the middle of February. If that's being blinkered, then I give up.
    February is miles away, don't underestimate the effect of a bad run on players mindset. Once you are on a downward spiral it's very hard to stop the rot, we may not be relegated by February but if we don't make drastic changes we could well be on our way by then.

That Liverpool game cracked over everything that was wrong with the team, the first 30 mins the team got cut open time and time again but because Liverpool had nobody to score we got away with it, Lambert should of saw this and addressed it, instead management and fans just concentrated on the Benteke performance and were ignorant of how the game really went.

February is miles away, don't underestimate the effect of a bad run on players mindset. Once you are on a downward spiral it's very hard to stop the rot, we may not be relegated by February but if we don't make drastic changes we could well be on our way by then.

That's a fair point, but it's clear as day the team needs strengthening and I am confident this will happen in January. If it doesn't, yeah, we may well be bunched by February.

lol @ the cheers for our shot on goal.

Gallows humour ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

At least Stoke are after scoring

8-0 -> 4-0 -> 3-0... we're improving all the time, lads! :pac:

8-0 -> 4-0 -> 3-0... we're improving all the time, lads! :pac:
    3 more games and we get a draw!!

16 goals conceded without reply, absolutely disgraceful.

Not in the bottom 3! Woop.

• Advertisement

Not in the bottom 3! Woop.
    And to think the glory hunting United and Chelsea fans will never know how this feels, missing out they are. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

saw this on facebook:

What time do Villa kick off?

Every 15 minutes!

More importantly still, the Bluenoses were beaten today in the Championship.

SOTC

Happy New Year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Immediate impact signings needed pronto. Won't be any use having a great set of youngsters in the Championship under a different manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Luckily for Villa there are at least 3 worse teams than them in the league!

Luckily for Villa there are at least 3 worse teams than them in the league!

4 if you count Liverpool ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

What do ye make of Lambert? Do ye think he'll get much more time? I'd love to see it work out for him but I fear a rash decision may be made in the not too distant future. What do you Villa fans think?

What do ye make of Lambert? Do ye think he'll get much more time? I'd love to see it work out for him but I fear a rash decision may be made in the not too distant future. What do you Villa fans think?
    I don't think a rash decision will be made.

He will get to the summer at least.

Well no manager would be safe if this kind of form continued but I don't think it will. I actually think Lambert will be here for the long haul.

Even McLeish got a full season, so I would be amazed if Lerner sacks Lambert.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement