Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Defence done much better in second half. Swansea just seemed to stop playing too.

Just as i say that, Swansea equalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

How can we be so unlucky not to get the win but so, so lucky the get a draw?

Patser wrote: »
    How can we be so unlucky not to get the win but so, so lucky the get a draw?

About sums it up. Yet again, played off the park in the first half of a game. Really need to start playing from the off or won't even have the chance to win or even get back into games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Very good result. It is always hard to accept a last minute equaliser but everyone would have taken this before the game and hopefully we can get Vlaar off the injury table and go back to a back 4. We were playing some nice football with that formation.

Really need to stop relying on luck time and time again though. Bradford will fancy their chances no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

And again we're conceding less and less as time goes on. Only 17 goals conceded in 4 games now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Disappointing giving away the goal at the end, but overall a good point. We got a bit of luck and could have been 3 down within 10 minutes but fought back well.

Now we've 2 weeks without a PL game. Hopefully we can get in a couple of new players and get some back from injury during that time. We really have to hit the transfer window quickly to get in some experience and get them playing / training with the squad

How bad did the Westwood injury look?

It's especially bad for a younger player to get seriously injured, hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    How bad did the Westwood injury look?

It's especially bad for a younger player to get seriously injured, hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

It looked painful, his leg twisted underneath Michu and looks like his ankle was badly sprained but it could be worse that a sprain. Someone on VT posted that Lambert said it was bad in the post match interview.

Come on Arsenal!!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Never thought I'd see the day when a point away to Swansea was something to celebrate but given the recent slump, it's something I suppose. At least we scored a goal or 2.

Southampton at home is a massive one, another chance to put some daylight from the relegation zone. Can't afford to do another Wigan on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Savman wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see the day when a point away to Swansea was something to celebrate but given the recent slump, it's something I suppose. At least we scored a goal or 2.

I don't know why, they are a well drilled team and its not an easy place to go.

The Southampton game isnt crucial but the loser will be looking over the shoulder.

LeBash wrote: »
    I don't know why, they are a well drilled team and its not an easy place to go.

The Southampton game isnt crucial but the loser will be looking over the shoulder.

I wouldn't say that. It's a big game IMO. If Southampton win they go 2 points ahead of Villa with a game in hand and Villa have a much worse goal difference than anyone around them. After Southampton we have:

West Brom (A)
    Newcastle (H)
    Everton (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Man City (H)

That's a tough run of fixtures and tbh, I don't trust Villa at home against anyone these days. If Wigan pull out their usual second half of the season recovery, danger is very much there.

Corholio wrote: »
    West Brom (A)
    Newcastle (H)
    Everton (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Man City (H)
    West Brom away being a derby all bets are off (just as well!).
    Newcastle at home is a toughie with us still playing our schoolboy team :rolleyes:
    Everton away will not be pretty.
    West Ham we might give a game to at VP.
    Arsenal away and City at home, well let's just be realistic for a minute, if we get anything from these games it'd be an achievement.

One can only hope the FA & League cup give us a chance to get some confidence back into the side.

We play City on March 2nd, we'd wanna be out of trouble by then because a bad defeat there would cripple us going into the last 10 games when we would still have fixtures against United, Chelsea and the ever unpredictable Liverpool.

Fecking QPR beat Chelsea!!

That last minute equaliser is hurting now. But on a slight plus Newcastle lost at home to Everton so are only a point above us (and they're just about to sell one of their best players) - Sunderland also looking over their shoulders again after a good run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Albion fans clapping in the eighth minute, you have to laugh. So a 1-0 will do for us & even more sweeter if it's scored in the ......... eighth minute.

Was going to use Keegan's quote of loving it etc but we know what happened there.

Incidentally will always remember Shay Given's save in the final minutes last season so hope he has improved fortunes this year. Said before I was at Chelsea match & he was out for a good 40 minutes putting Guzan through his paces and signed a few autographs. OK he's paid a lot but model professional all the same.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I'd be wary if I was a Villa fan. Unless there is a few quality signings or a massive turnaround they are definitely in a massive dogfight to stay up.

I fancy QPR to turn it around and they will probably sign/sell deadwood in January. Reading are dead certs to go down IMO, a shocking side.

Reading gonna sign a few too in January, fair bit of money there too. They just signed the Sporting Lisbon captain.

It's definitely a dogfight though, sides like Wigan have players who have been there and one that, and will scrap all the way. I'm actually quite nervous for this window, seeing again today players from Charlton being linked. Lambert's stubborness could backfire big time.

Strange set of results, the North East clubs have now both been dragged into the relegation mire. I think MON is good enough to pull Sunderland clear, he always has a rabbit in his hat and can upset the big teams when they visit SoL. Newcastle losing Ba is a huge blow, he would've been the difference for them IMHO.

QPR beating Chelsea is just mental and gives Dirty Harry's crew a bloody huge boost in confidence and points. Strange as it sounds I think they might have enough in them to pull off the great escape, have some very good players there and a lot with PL experience too. Looking like they will sign Ben Haim on a free, astute business tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

VillaTalk seems to be full of ITK's saying that a deal for Charlton CM Dale Stephens (who we bid for in the summer) is pretty much done. We badly need a midfielder and given how bad our currently midfielders are I'd take pretty much anyone right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Does anyone think that Stephen Warnock should be held onto?

Before I get shot, I'm not a fan but I seem to remember him doing a job in centre mid for a spell??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Absolutely not, he is a walking liability and is one of the high earners so he needs to be sold as soon as possible. West Ham are showing interest in him now which is encouraging so hopefully himself and Hutton depart this month.

I had a horrible feeling that the Lambert would rekindle his interest in Dale Stephens and now with Ashley Westwood injured it looks like we could be ready to make a bid for him. Hopefully Charlton rebuff us again and Lambert is forced to look either abroad or at the loan market for experienced reinforcements. The last thing we need is another average lower division player padding out the squad.

VillaTalk seems to be full of ITK's saying that a deal for Charlton CM Dale Stephens (who we bid for in the summer) is pretty much done. We badly need a midfielder and given how bad our currently midfielders are I'd take pretty much anyone right now.

It's important the right one is brought in though, do we have time for another inexperienced midfielder to take 5-10 games to get used to playing in the Premiership? Some of the other young signings still haven't. Last thing we need is another midfielder not up to standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's important the right one is brought in though, do we have time for another inexperienced midfielder to take 5-10 games to get used to playing in the Premiership? Some of the other young signings still haven't. Last thing we need is another midfielder not up to standard.

Lampard :O

We need a ready made midfielder able to perform at this level immediately, not some potential youngstar who might be able to make the stepup.

Lambert is starting to bug me with the sh1t he's coming out with although I'll reserve judgement till the first of February.

As for Warnock, NO, he's a liability with a bad attitude who earns far more than he should be getting. The sooner he makes a permanent exit the better.

If we got Stephens and someone else with more experience I'd be happy as Stephens does seem to have potential, but if we only end up with Stephens I'd be very worried about our midfield for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

Lambert is digging his own grave with such an approach. If he doesn't get January to the fans' likings, then he'll be going into the rest of the season with the fans on his back, and a young squad who probably wouldn't be equipped to deal with that pressure. Bringing in at least 2 signings who'll be able to have an immediate impact is an absolute must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Raekwon wrote: »
    Absolutely not, he is a walking liability and is one of the high earners so he needs to be sold as soon as possible. West Ham are showing interest in him now which is encouraging so hopefully himself and Hutton depart this month.

I had a horrible feeling that the Lambert would rekindle his interest in Dale Stephens and now with Ashley Westwood injured it looks like we could be ready to make a bid for him. Hopefully Charlton rebuff us again and Lambert is forced to look either abroad or at the loan market for experienced reinforcements. The last thing we need is another average lower division player padding out the squad.

Dont forget Makoun!
    Another player from a by-gone era that needs to be moved on. He is on 35k atm iirc?

I wouldn't mind us getting Stephens providing its not only him. There's no harm in having cover for Westwood or another potential rising star. I do agree that experience is required in the squad so hopefully we sign another player too.

Has there been any more murmurs about the potential Scott Sinclair or Lescott loan moves from Man City?

Doodee wrote: »
    Has there been any more murmurs about the potential Scott Sinclair or Lescott loan moves from Man City?
    Hadnt heard this, where did this come from?

CSF wrote: »
    Hadnt heard this, where did this come from?

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/7624-january-2013-transfer-talk/page__view__findpost__p__832196

Unfortunately whilst doing that same search it was pointed out that he has already played for 2 Prem clubs this season so it is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Think Lescott would be a great loan move, reportedly up for sale for 8 mill last week but wages would be a problem and he'll more than likely go back to Everton if anywhere.

Rumours of Bent being chased by Fulham personally I don't think he should be going anywhere and injury permitting should play but as discussed before we don't know what's going on there.

For me Nzogbia is one of the biggest disappointments, again injury permitting if he could find form would be like a new signing.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Think Lescott would be a great loan move, reportedly up for sale for 8 mill last week but wages would be a problem and he'll more than likely go back to Everton if anywhere.

Rumours of Bent being chased by Fulham personally I don't think he should be going anywhere and injury permitting should play but as discussed before we don't know what's going on there.

For me Nzogbia is one of the biggest disappointments, again injury permitting if he could find form would be like a new signing.

Lescott is a Villa fan iirc. Might help. Then again, someone was saying that he was chased out of Wolves and so won't return to the region.

Zog's stats were never great tbf. He scored goals and had a high dribble rate but his crossing was woeful and touch hasn't improved.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the starting 11 is fatigued after the Christmas run which had a knock on effect to form, so any players returning from injury will help.

Know its a ropey source, but Fourth_Official on twitter has said that Bent isn't being played by Villa because another appearance will trigger a £7 million payment to Sunderland. This was mentioned a few weeks back, and to be honest the truly bizarre way he just has hardly played at all, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Know its a ropey source, but Fourth_Official on twitter has said that Bent isn't being played by Villa because another appearance will trigger a £7 million payment to Sunderland. This was mentioned a few weeks back, and to be honest the truly bizarre way he just has hardly played at all, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it's true, but F_O has pretty much lost all of whatever credibility it once had. Lambert knows the type of player he wants, imo, and Bent doesn't fit the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

According to The Daily Mail (yeah, I know) our transfer targets are as follows:

Striker — Graham (Swansea), Austin (Burnley)
    Midfielder — Parker, *Jenas (both Tottenham), Pritchard (Charlton), Murphy (Crewe), Loe (Osasuna), Kvist (Stuttgart), Karaboue (Nancy)
    Defender — Ba (Porto).

They also think that Warnock, Bent, Dunne & Bannan will leave and we'll only have £6m to spend, depending on sales, which sounds like a very low figure.

Anyway the only player that stood out on that list was Kvist who is a 27 year old Danish international and could probably add some much needed experience to our midfield.

Also El Ahmadi will be going to the African Nations with Morocco in a few weeks so that's yet another reason to reinforce our thread bare midfield.

*That has to be a joke!

Scott Parker would also be great but why would Spurs wanna sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

CSF wrote: »
    Scott Parker would also be great but why would Spurs wanna sell?
    They wouldn't. He's just back from injury but the hacks in the media don't realise this and think he's not in the first XI and hence would want a move. No chance of him coming to Villa. As for Warnock/Hutton hopefully someone will take them off our hands, truely awful players.

Very depressing.

Any chance of getting Milner on loan, he's only started 6 league games this season? Prob not with Yaya Toure off to the ACN.

Very depressing.

Any chance of getting Milner on loan, he's only started 6 league games this season? Prob not with Yaya Toure off to the ACN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Karim Rekik might be a more realistic loan target from City but the team hardly needs any more inexperienced players during a relegation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Bent and Given starting for us today apparently.

I don't often hope we lose, but in this case we might just be better off out of the cup. We have a busy month ahead with the 2 league cup semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bent and Given starting for us today apparently.

I don't often hope we lose, but in this case we might just be better off out of the cup. We have a busy month ahead with the 2 league cup semis.

VILLA: Given, Clark, Bennett, Baker, Lichaj, Bannan, Delph, Albrighton, N’Zogbia, Bent, Bowery.

Subs: Guzan, Ireland, Agbonlahor, Benteke, Weimann, Stevens, Carruthers.

There is no point hoping we lose, winning breeds confidence.

The team and squad need it.

Good to see Bent back. I suppose a stream is out of the question, can't imagine this is a high profile fixture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

JPA wrote: »
    VILLA: Given, Clark, Bennett, Baker, Lichaj, Bannan, Delph, Albrighton, N’Zogbia, Bent, Bowery.

Subs: Guzan, Ireland, Agbonlahor, Benteke, Weimann, Stevens, Carruthers.

There is no point hoping we lose, winning breeds confidence.

The team and squad need it.

Yeah I don't really think I could ever hope that we lose, I always want us win. I guess I'm just thinking that, in this case, there is at a postive that can be taken if we do lose.

So Bent goes from not getting any minutes at all in league games to starting in the cup. I think that owed money to Sunderland is very realistic.

Hope he scores a few today, might be the last we get to see of him unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Good to see do many names that were missing over that poor run reappearing from injury - Gabby, Bent, Baker and N'Zog all back - Baker in particular was a big loss

Also it'll be very interesting to see how Bent plays - will he go out to prove a point of to try attract interest from another club or just wing it up front alone and uninterested and prove Lambert's point about him

Oh and err is with Ireland still benched while Bowery and Given get run outs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement