Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

shoutman wrote: »
    Another game where we wont be seeing points.
    FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Benteke would be a great player if he didnt need 4 or 5 chances to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Reading have turned around a 2 goal deficit to lead 3-2.

Corholio wrote: »
    Benteke would be a great player if he didnt need 4 or 5 chances to score.

I don't think he'll ever be a 20 goal a season player, but beside a good finisher he'd get a heap of assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

We deserved something out of that game but FFS in the bottom 3 and we need to get some players in or we're not getting out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Caught no breaks of the ref the entire match. Very disappointing to come out with nothing. Benteke had 2 good goal chances over the bar. He needs to learn to relax on the ball somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

really bad day for Villa, into the bottom 3.If Lambert doesn't get a few players in January, its going to be a very long and nervous end to the season.badlty missing a few leaders on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

yabadabado wrote: »
    really bad day for Villa, into the bottom 3.If Lambert doesn't get a few players in January, its going to be a very long and nervous end to the season.badlty missing a few leaders on the pitch.

It will be hard to get any players in this month. 5m seems to be the amount touted as being available. There was some rotten luck today alright, but there were also some dire performances.

Not going to be a good few months for us now. Saints play good football and Lambert is immense for them, the kind of player we need in the center, just knows where the attackers will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The most worrying thing about this game is that we didn't lose because of a dodgy penalty decision. Southampton had us on the ropes in the first half, and more than likely would have scored anyway if they'd kept it up. By Southampton going ahead and then retreating to try ride out the 1-0 win, Villa were given the chance to look far better than they actually were in the second half.

A replacement for Delph is needed instantly. That guy defines the word liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lambert out?

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Lambert out?

For who?

Unless we were guaranteed someone within the next 3 days to take advantage of the transfer window, it's not going to do anything

Lambert out?

If the rumours are true, of there being hardly any money to spend, what would be the use? Who could come in and take that squad, add very little to it, and keep the club up?

I don't really know, hence posing it as a question, rather than a clear statement. It really does look like relegation though unless Lambert and Lerner work wonders in this window. There are no positives to be taken at this stage.

If Lerner doesn't make money available for transfers then I'd say Lerner out. We've paired the wage bill back to what should be a sustainable level, and it will be even more at the end of the season. Now we need to replace some of the players we've lost

Lerner needs to spend some cash, then sell in the summer.

He doesn't seem to be a good businessman does he?

I'll reserve comment on Lerner until Feb 1st, but he can't possibly expect that squad to win a relegation battle. I really am hoping (and half expecting) the talk of limited funds to be a smokescreen.

But that said, the longer they leave it before strengthening, the higher the overall risk. Every point between now and May is worth about £1.6m to the club, when you look at how much TV money we'll lose if we go down. If they leave the strengthening until the end of the window, in the hope of saving a few hundred thousand here and there, they really are missing the bigger picture.

if there is to be a few players brought in ,who realistically do people think could come in?

I don't think any club in the Premier League should have any trouble attracting decent players from the continent, as money will very much do the talking. Spanish clubs, for example, are broke, the big 2 or 3 aside. Michu, for example, was on £5k per week before moving to Swansea. We know Benteke is only on £20k at Villa, so likely he was on something under the £10k mark at his old club. Plenty of players are available for a modest enough transfer fee, and for modest enough wages. The only question in my mind is whether the owner will fund the transfers. We don't even need to move heaven and earth. With Vlaar coming back, I'd stick him along side Baker and that back line will look hugely more solid. One decent centre mid to play alongside Westwood and we are then a completely different team. Anything else then would be a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Joint worst defence and joint worst attack in the league, relegation form for the last 2 seasons and there hasn't been a smart decision made at any level in the club for almost 3 years.

I'd love to be positive but it's just so demoralising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Watching Villa atm is like dying the death of a thousand cuts. What a difference three weeks makes.

For me we haven't recovered from the Chelsea game and at the beginning of the season most of us thought we wouldn't go down because there were worse teams in the division, almost staying up by default. I don't think this is the case any more with QPR & Wigan picking up points, S'hampton dragging themselves clear. Sunderland looked ropey a few weeks ago but managed to pull away and that's what we need to look at.

A lot of games to go and we need to string a bit of a run together and hope the likes of Newcastle, West Ham who I thought would struggle along with Norwich and Fulham hit poor runs of form for the rest of the season.

From a business point of view you would think Randy would spend about 20 mill, he has more to lose if we go down but barring the unlikely scenario of players the calibre of Lescott and Parker coming to Villa I can't see anyone else who would do a job for us.

Anyway going to be a few more twists & turns along the way we're in a massive hole but string a few results together and in 4 weeks time things might look better. Or of course they could be much worse.

• Advertisement

We need to beat Newcastle. I think a good cup game could boost confidence. Having Gabby and Vlaar back will help no doubt. Would love for us to put in a bid for Diame if even to rock the boat.
    Going to be a miserable couple of weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Ya know what? As a Villa fan I'm so fed up with the prima donnas we've had for last 17 years - yes, that's the last time we won anything....how many millionaires has our club made, and for what? We are a joke, happy to accept mediocrity and bow down to bigger clubs... Well i've had enough, we deserve relegation, we are a joke of a club, and I wish I had realised it years ago....bankers every one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I hate everything about the club right now, players, management and owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

See Reo Coker has left Ipswich, surely he would be what we need in the middle now

astonaidan wrote: »
    See Reo Coker has left Ipswich, surely he would be what we need in the middle now
    Surely we can do better than NRC and having to recall Hutton & Warnock.

The club has regressed so much it's frightening.

Helix wrote: »
    we've bought very well though. all lamberts signings to date have looked very good in preseason and in the premiership
    Would nearly welcome him back for some comic relief with his warped opinions, anything for some LOL's in this thread as it really has been so depressing the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Lerner needs to sell up, as he either doesn't have the money needed(or not willing to spend it) to take the club forward.

Lerner needs to sell up, as he either doesn't have the money needed(or not willing to spend it) to take the club forward.
    Whether he has the money or not, I just don't think he has the interest in the club really.

I dunno whether he spends much time in the UK even. I never get the impression he's passionate about the club.

Either way, I'd agree with you in that I think we need new investors who have a genuine interest in the club. As much as a penny pincher as Doug was, you know he bleeds AVFC.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    Whether he has the money or not, I just don't think he has the interest in the club really.

I dunno whether he spends much time in the UK even. I never get the impression he's passionate about the club.

Either way, I'd agree with you in that I think we need new investors who have a genuine interest in the club. As much as a penny pincher as Doug was, you know he bleeds AVFC.

I think at first he did care and for the first 4 years he was over at Villa park alot. Now you rarely hear of him coming over to Villa Park to watch games.

Highlights off the game here, good analysis from Hansen http://www.footytube.com/video/aston-villa-vs-southampton-0-1-motd-151756?ref=search

The more I think of it, the more I think the crux of Villa's problems this season are KEA and Vlaar; the former for simply not being up to scratch, the latter for getting injured (obviously not his fault).

You'd imagine Lambert signed these two players to serve as the elder statesmen of the team, guiding the progress of the promising younger players, in the crucial positions of centre-mid and centre-half.

Not being able to play these two senior players has resulted in a rudderless ship. So all of the criticism of the academy graduates or the newcomers needs to be assessed within this context.

But even still, Lowton, Westwood and Benteke have all shown promise, in spite of this situation. So all in all, there is still reason to believe that this situation can be fixed.

We all know the critical requirement is a centre-mid, probably two. I would give Stevens a run at LB until the end of the month and see how he shapes up. He was looking very good towards the end of last year before he got injured. Otherwise be ready to get a replacement. Loan Bennett somewhere. Anywhere.

Then, I would imagine all we'd need are two cheap enough old heads who won't mind being back up, to add a bit of depth and experience - one at centre-half, the other at centre-mid (Andrews was suggested here before and he'd be perfect).

The situation can therefore be made hugely better for little over £10m, and when you consider the financial downside to going down, I will be astonished and massively concerned over the future of the club if this modest investment isn't made.

I'd imagine Lambert is seriously regretting leaving Norwich right now

But this is what confuses me; if the financial situation was this bad, surely he would have known about this before taking the job, and yet he came anyway?

Only other possibility is that RL and PF straight out lied to him. In which case you'd imagine he'd walk?

I doubt it.

• Advertisement

I still think part of the problem is lack of support for the full backs because we don't play wingers. Most attacks against us start on the wings (particularly against the left backs). The players there have been poor and has been targeted but because we don't have wingers they get isolated and this makes their job even harder.

This then causes one of the CMs to have to go help cover there and then leaves us weak in the centre for when the ball is passed in there.

It also leaves us more open to counter attacks, because the full backs have to get forward to supply width and then if / when the attack breaks down they are out of position and have to chase back to try cover the hole that the opposition are already exploiting. Look at that match of the day clip and you can see it happen to stephens about 4 times.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    But this is what confuses me; if the financial situation was this bad, surely he would have known about this before taking the job, and yet he came anyway?

Only other possibility is that RL and PF straight out lied to him. In which case you'd imagine he'd walk?

I don't believe the finances are as bad as Lambert is making out.I could be very wrong but I imagine there is some money too spend and Lambert is working away on signings.No point telling the media there is Xmillion to spend when he is trying to get a few players in.If there isn't anyone brought in this month thats when I think Villa fans should start having a major panic because I dont think the current squad will keep Villa up.

Neil3030 wrote: »

I'd say he knew about the financial situation, we all did.

I think he underestimated the the need to have experience and quality in your squad, he was likely confident he could do a decent job with kids from the lower leagues, he likely sold this idea to RL in the interview and RL liked what he heard and placed his faith in him.
    I could well be wrong tho.

Have any of the players come out and said the team is right behind PL or anything like that?

We all assume that his purchases of lower league players was because of his philosophy but might it have been that he was told to move on the deadweight, avoid relegation and all on a tight budget?
    Buying lots of youth over experience to add to the squad?

It's all very odd. Wages are down and no new players have been signed for stupid money. Would be nice to see us even attempting to sign a high calibre like Sissoko etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

People saying about this is the problem or that is the problem, the thing is its been quite a while since we've had such poor quality in different positions at the same time. Poor fulll backs, worse midfield in a long time, complete lack of performing wingers, fragile and nervous centre backs. No leaders whatsoever either.

Lambert has no idea what his best 11 is IMO. Players like Cowans, Taylor, Boateng, Petrov are whats needed at the club, otherwise it could quickly turn into a Leeds/Blackburn type situation. It really is a bad situation at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Have any of the players come out and said the team is right behind PL or anything like that?

Here you go, Clark saying just that and also saying not to worry there's experience on the way back. Also PL saying everything's good with Lerner

http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/soccer/english-cup/2013/0114/362564-clark-believes-villa-players-back-lambert/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Championship is where villa are headed. Can't see them signing enough quality to get out of the relegation zone.

How Agbonlahor is still at the club is a bloody joke, 1 league goal in close to 40 games is absolutely sh1te. I don't care if he's Villa through and through, them kinda stats make Heskey look clinical.

He's like Vassell, and look how crap he was.

Keith Andrews is not the answer, if he's signed, I know that PL is preparing for the championship.

How Agbonlahor is still at the club is a bloody joke, 1 league goal in close to 40 games is absolutely sh1te. I don't care if he's Villa through and through, them kinda stats make Heskey look clinical.

He's like Vassell, and look how crap he was.

Keith Andrews is not the answer, if he's signed, I know that PL is preparing for the championship.

It is a poor return but he has been playing on the wing for the last 3 season and he can be ok at making chances but he's being paid way to much. I think he's on 60k and he's worth nowhere near that, maybe about 25k

Where has this player disappeared to?

Rumour on Vtalk of Luis Pedro Cavanda from Lazio.

Looks like we raiding the Belgian national team again.

Samson !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Great video, shame isn't it as that is clinical finishing, his accuracy and ability to find the corners was incredible.

The Blackburn one passed into the net was my favourite.

listermint wrote: »
    Rumour on Vtalk of Luis Pedro Cavanda from Lazio.

Looks like we raiding the Belgian national team again.
    Never heard of the guy but Belgium has been producing some really good players recently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement