Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

John Gregory dedicates a song to Stan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQ0259WUn4&feature=youtu.be

I miss the JG days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

matrim wrote: »

What a few people on VT have said is that Lambert has given Faulkner a list of targets in order and Faulkner is now out trying to negotiate for them.
    Lets hope it's a good one.

I'm sure all Villa fans will be used to this statement over the years, but Kendrick is saying 'there is nothing imminent transfer wise'.

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm sure all Villa fans will be used to this statement over the years, but Kendrick is saying 'there is nothing imminent transfer wise'.
    Which can be roughly translated as 'we at the club aren't doing our job properly'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

matrim wrote: »
    What a few people on VT have said is that Lambert has given Faulkner a list of targets in order and Faulkner is now out trying to negotiate for them.

Apparently it is filtered by price and expected wage.
    People are saying that if we are interested in Sissoko then nothing will happen until the end of the window as agents stop asking for stupid money to try and secure a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yann M'Vila is apparently on his way to QPR :eek:

If Villa had any sort of sense they would do everything in their power to hijack that deal.

After all we do have an ace up our sleeve as Jean Makoun is already on-loan at M'Vila's club Rennes so we could offer them a player plus cash deal for him.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Yann M'Vila is apparently on his way to QPR :eek:

If Villa had any sort of sense they would do everything in their power to hijack that deal.

After all we do have an ace up our sleeve as Jean Makoun is already on-loan at M'Vila's club Rennes so we could offer them a player plus cash deal for him.

Not a hope he'd come here. Harry said he initially wasn't keen at all to join but was persuaded to, i.e. we'll pay you more. He must be on some serious money and an obvious relegation clause as well. Remy turned down Newcastle because he preferred being in London, and of course more money. I'd presume that'd be a draw for M'Vila as well.

But Dale Stephens right? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Could be two great signings by QPR, but part of me thinks they could be slightly classier versions of the lazy mercenaries recruited this summer. Like going from fiesta that won't start to a ferarri... that won't start.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Like going from fiesta that won't start to a ferarri... that won't start.

Well at least Ferarri's are very easy on the eye and a guaranteed chick magnet ;)

We're being linked to a loan move for Scott Sinclair along with Newcastle and Everton plus Louis Saha has just been released by Sunderland.

Okay he's obviously well past his best but we couldn't hit a donkeys arse with a banjo lately so need all the help we can get.

Well at least Ferarri's are very easy on the eye and a guaranteed chick magnet ;)

Sadly league position isn't determined by closing ass, otherwise by virtue of having Mr. Agbonlahor in the squad we'd probably be 10 points clear at the top of the table.

• Advertisement

We're being linked to a loan move for Scott Sinclair along with Newcastle and Everton plus Louis Saha has just been released by Sunderland.

Okay he's obviously well past his best but we couldn't hit a donkeys arse with a banjo lately so need all the help we can get.

Thought Sinclair couldn't play for another club due to FA rules?
    He played for Swansea and Man City this year so far.

I wouldn't worry about our attack. We will start converting chances soon. Its the middle of the park for me. Cohesion between Defense and Attack through the middle. If Vlaar and Dunne are available to partner Clarke and Baker then we should be ok at CB for the rest of the season. LB needs to get sorted.

Doodee wrote: »
    Thought Sinclair couldn't play for another club due to FA rules?
    He played for Swansea and Man City this year so far.

I wouldn't worry about our attack. We will start converting chances soon. Its the middle of the park for me. Cohesion between Defense and Attack through the middle. If Vlaar and Dunne are available to partner Clarke and Baker then we should be ok at CB for the rest of the season. LB needs to get sorted.

I wouldn't be quite as confident about our attack. The problem is it'll have to start taking 2 or more chances a game because the midfield and defence aren't good enough to keep clean sheets, or anything near it. The midfield isn't going to create a heap of chances either for the attack. Benteke will need to start taking them sooner rather than later, and Wiemann played in his proper position.

For example I don't think we can go 1-0 up on any team and be confident of holding out or adding to it. The confidence takes a huge hit once we concede, this is a huge factor in the relegation battle IMO. Teams like Wigan will battle on even going behind, I'm not sure there's the same mentality at Villa.

Looking increasingly likely that all signings (if any) will be conducted at or towards the end of the month. We'd surely have heard about the definitive links by now, if they were imminent.

Looking increasingly likely that all signings (if any) will be conducted at or towards the end of the month. We'd surely have heard about the definitive links by now, if they were imminent.
    Negligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Do Chelsea have it in for us?

Southampton will be brimming with confidence now and are starting to rise up the table. If we don't get at least a draw at WBA then 3 points at home to Newcastle then we're as good as gone IMO.

Lambert would really need to get the finger out and strengthen before it's too late.

On a lighter note, John Carew has openly declared his love for the club and its fans and said that he'd play for us for free if he was given the opportunity. Unfortunately he is making a horror movie in Canada so I doubt he'd have the time :p

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Pretty much need to get 4 points out of our next two games, ideally 6. I just can't see how Villa are going to win a game, poor at the back awful in midfield and hit and miss up front.

So nobody will be in by the baggies game.

I'd give this a bash:

Guzan

--Lowton
    Vlaar
    Baker
    Stevens--

Clark

Westwood
    Holman
    -Weimann
    Gabby--

Benteke

also gives us the option of going to 4-4-2:

Guzan

--Lowton
    Vlaar
    Baker
    Stevens--

-Gabby----Westwood
    Clark
    Holman-

Benteke----Weimann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Pretty much need to get 4 points out of our next two games, ideally 6. I just can't see how Villa are going to win a game, poor at the back awful in midfield and hit and miss up front.

Well Vlaar and Bent will both be back, so pretty much back to the full strength squad that started the season, so any excuses about missing players are gone. WBA have lost to Reading and QPR (FA cup) in last 2 games, so no excuses there. While Newcastle have lost Ba, Collocini 's having domestic problems and will Cisse be at Africa nation 's cup? So no excuses there. Time for PL and the Villa squad to show some fight.

Also see on BBC gossip section we're trying to beat Fulham to sign Derek Boateng, which''ll be a nice money saver for any Villa fan that kept their old George Boateng jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Patser wrote: »
    Well Vlaar and Bent will both be back, so pretty much back to the full strength squad that started the season, so any excuses about missing players are gone. WBA have lost to Reading and QPR (FA cup) in last 2 games, so no excuses there. While Newcastle have lost Ba, Collocini 's having domestic problems and will Cisse be at Africa nation 's cup? So no excuses there. Time for PL and the Villa squad to show some fight.

Also see on BBC gossip section we're trying to beat Fulham to sign Derek Boateng, which''ll be a nice money saver for any Villa fan that kept their old George Boateng jersey

Bit crap signing someone whos involved in the ANC when we need players today.

listermint wrote: »
    Bit crap signing someone whos involved in the ANC when we need players today.

A signing is still a signing. We probably wouldn't get him until the end of the month anyway, knowing our lethargy with such matters. So unless Ghana get to the final, he'd only miss the single game on the weekend of Feb 2nd.

Derek Boateng is just the sort of player that we need in the centre of the park, hopefully we can snap him up.

Apparently Reading & Fulham are in for M'Vila too.
    L'Equipe wrote:
    Yann M'Vila should leave Rennes very soon after already agreeing terms with QPR. Rennes are supposed to want £10m, while QPR have offered £7m + £1m in bonuses so far. However Zenith St-Petersburg, Rubin Kazan, Reading and Fulham are also candidates.

I still think Villa should throw their hat in the ring for him as his preference is clearly to play in the EPL. Also I mentioned earlier, Makoun could be used as a makeweight in a deal, plus at 22 years old, M'Vila would have a huge sell on fee down the line. So Randy could double or treble his money and we all know how much he likes money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

QPR,Zenith St-Petersburg and Rubin Kazan would all offer him much higher wages than Villa would (IMO).

We haven't a prayer of M'Vila. Wage demands will be massively inflated by those other clubs' offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Who'd want another head case at VP?!

• Advertisement

He doesn't want to play in Russia though so it's between QPR & any other EPL that comes in for him.

QPR are reported to have offered him £80k per week but Rennes turned down their initial bid of £7m for him as it was too low. All Villa have to do is offer £7m + Makoun (rated at around £2m) and release/sell Hutton & Warnock so they have lost three players with £40k/£50k + wages off the wage bill to free up wages for M'Vila. We could even sign him on a short term contract with a relegation clause, etc, etc.

Okay that might sound like desperate ramblings, and truth be told is probably is, but can we at least show our intent and make a bid similar to what we did with Clint Dempsey (who we hadn't a hope in hell signing either being up against Tottenham & Liverpool).

He doesn't want to play in Russia though so it's between QPR & any other EPL that comes in for him.

QPR are reported to have offered him £80k per week but Rennes turned down their initial bid of £7m for him as it was too low. All Villa have to do is offer £7m + Makoun (rated at around £2m) and release/sell Hutton & Warnock so they have lost three players with £40k/£50k + wages off the wage bill to free up wages for M'Vila. We could even sign him on a short term contract with a relegation clause, etc, etc.

Okay that might sound like desperate ramblings, and truth be told is probably is, but can we at least show our intent and make a bid similar to what we did with Clint Dempsey (who we hadn't a hope in hell signing either being up against Tottenham & Liverpool).

Only danger with "showing your intent" is that you allude the market to the fact that you have a few bob. I'd rather we keep our bids for players we actually have a decent chance of signing.

JPA wrote: »
    Who'd want another head case at VP?!

He's not a head case though, he was banned from national team matches until June 2014 after an unauthorised night out while on under-21 duty, hardly the French version of Joey Barton now is it?

Plus 'Mr Aston Villa' Olof Mellberg did the exact same thing while playing for Sweden plus had to be restraint from battering Fredrik Ljungberg after a bad challenge in training, yet he was one of the best players ever to wear the claret and blue. Go figure.

Only danger with "showing your intent" is that you allude the market to the fact that you have a few bob. I'd rather we keep our bids for players we actually have a decent chance of signing.

That is true, but I think that everybody and their dog knows that Randy Lerner just pocketed £600m from selling the Cleveland Browns so it's not like suddenly claiming poverty is going to fool any team that we try and negotiate with.

That is true, but I think that everybody and their dog knows that Randy Lerner just pocketed £600m from selling the Cleveland Browns so it's not like suddenly claiming poverty is going to fool any team that we try and negotiate with.

I think the difference is showing that he cares about Villa.
    He can have all the money in Europe but if he is not willing to spend it then...

How come no larger clubs are in for M'Vila? That strikes me as odd.
    Maybe we should gather all of the players with a Villa/Vila in their name and be the True Villa!

• Advertisement

I think the difference is showing that he cares about Villa. He can have all the money in Europe but if he is not willing to spend it then...

Agreed. Villa need his money now then ever before yet his still harping on about the wage bill etc even though it's been slashed in half. I really don't get it though, the TV money this year should be incentive enough for RL to spend now to ensure our safety.

Milan & Arsenal were both in for him during the summer but his off the field discipline on the run up to a French U-21 match raised a huge question mark about him. He also fell out with former French couch Laurent Blanc (along with most of the French team) and has been arrested for alleged GBH (although all charges were dropped).

Maybe we should gather all of the players with a Villa/Vila in their name and be the True Villa!

For a while Swansea were rumoured to be trying to loan David Villa from Barca, there's another potential recruit for this team of Villas

Could we get in Tito Vilanova as coach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He's not a head case though, he was banned from national team matches until June 2014 after an unauthorised night out while on under-21 duty, hardly the French version of Joey Barton now is it?

Plus 'Mr Aston Villa' Olof Mellberg did the exact same thing while playing for Sweden plus had to be restraint from battering Fredrik Ljungberg after a bad challenge in training, yet he was one of the best players ever to wear the claret and blue. Go figure.

So why has his value dropped 75% in 6 months?
    And qpr and Fulham are the only interested teams?
    Something not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Can't help thinking that the transfer window is a bit of a smokescreen for Villa. Even if they do get a couple of players in there's no guarantee they'll perform, Any incoming need to hit the ground running no time for getting used to the premiership or getting used to the team.

I think the problems are more deep rooted with the existing squad that won't be solved with new signings, that lack of confidence, fragility when we go a goal down and to a degree that lack of passion and fight.

Likewise with getting the injured players back will this be enough? Dunne injured best part of 12 months you've got to hope if he plays he can be a calming steadying influence and use his experience at the back but will need a fair few games to reach full fitness and could well be a liability.

I remember watching the Liverpool game 3 goals up, 10 minutes to go and I was still sweating.

We've also got to start converting our chances. I'd be giving Bent a run but you can see the problem with the likes of Nzogbia, Ireland, Delph, Bannan, Gabby they haven't performed so do you freeze them out or play them in the hope they'll come good second half of season.

Ultimately our fate lies in our own hands we've got to start winning matches and I think aim for 40 points which hopefully will be enough this season. Anyone up the table to West Ham in 11th on 26 points is still not safe so bad as things are now there's still hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

God no. Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

great move i think
    couldnt be any worse

It would be wholly the wrong appointment under the circumstances we'd be in. Even the suggestion that the board are looking to sack Lambert is worrying. Give him cash, let him buy players. That is the solution.

Wasn't he sacked by WBA?

• Advertisement

Lambert on the transfer window:

"I’ll work with it, and if I’ve got to go with the group I’ve got then I’ll go with it. I don’t have a problem, I’ve got nothing but praise for these lads"

Shocked_Koala_Bear.jpg

I hope he's just being generic with that quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hard to know how much bollox is being talked on VT.

A couple of guys who were saying they heard from reliable sources that PL was going to be back now saying that Randy has changed his mind after seeing prices. I'd say they are talking ****e but you never know.

Looks like it's snowing in Birmingham, so chance the game might be off tomorrow if the weather gets worse

Adkins sacked as Southampton manager apparently. Absolute madness, but might destabilise them for a while.

Adkins sacked :confused:

That Atkins sacking was utter madness........but it could work to our favour.

I'm seriously eyeing up Southampton at 2.5 for the drop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Can only see Adkins dismissal as being good for us they've obviously been lining it up for some time.

For us regarding the link with Di Matteo I think if we lose the next prem two games we're sunk so his appointment afterwards will be irrelevant. And if the worst does happen we've got to go with Lambert's long term project.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Can only see Adkins dismissal as being good for us they've obviously been lining it up for some time.

For us regarding the link with Di Matteo I think if we lose the next prem two games we're sunk so his appointment afterwards will be irrelevant. And if the worst does happen we've got to go with Lambert's long term project.
    No way. If Lambert gets Villa relegated he shouldn't be anywhere near the club.

I'm starting to think this could be THE key weekend for Villa and survival. With Wigan playing Sunderland, Newcastle hosting Reading and QPR well capable of getting something from West Ham - we can be guaranteed some of the teams around us will be picking up points (and some dropping points). So depending on our result and those around us we could either find ourselves adrift from safety or suddenly looking a good but more comfortable.

Add in that if we do get a result, then with a bit of a break from the Premiership for a while, it might allow the players to relax a bit and really have a go at Bradford and Milwall. Lose and we'll have the relegation threat hanging very hard on their shoulders going into those games. So with the added spice of it being a local derby, we really, really need the team to be up for this and get a result.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    I'm starting to think this could be THE key weekend for Villa and survival. With Wigan playing Sunderland, Newcastle hosting Reading and QPR well capable of getting something from West Ham - we can be guaranteed some of the teams around us will be picking up points (and some dropping points). So depending on our result and those around us we could either find ourselves adrift from safety or suddenly looking a good but more comfortable.

Add in that if we do get a result, then with a bit of a break from the Premiership for a while, it might allow the players to relax a bit and really have a go at Bradford and Milwall. Lose and we'll have the relegation threat hanging very hard on their shoulders going into those games. So with the added spice of it being a local derby, we really, really need the team to be up for this and get a result.

We need to play WBA this weekend as their form is part due to injuries.
    Hope the game goes ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement