Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Doodee wrote: »
    Lol. What do you guys think of the Tekers to Liverpool stories?

Liverpool fans don't want him, they think Sturridge is better. Ha.

JPA wrote: »

£10m would be too much of a gamble for an 18yo and I'd be surprised if Villa went for it unless he is more talented than I'm giving him credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Unlike other seasons it's good to see us making a few moves so early in the close season, I suppose because at least this year we've got a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

looks like tonev will sign tomorrow..he has been seen at the airport in birmingham
    and also i reckon popov will sign further along the road according to reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Liverpool fans don't want him, they think Sturridge is better. Ha.

Dafuq??
    Actually shouldn't be surprised. Its not as if Liverpool have been doing great in recent transfer windows.

circadian wrote: »
    Dafuq??
    Actually shouldn't be surprised. Its not as if Liverpool have been doing great in recent transfer windows.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84903262&postcount=7608

Only one poster granted but I didn't see anyone disagreeing with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A massive NO to Popov. He wears #71 for his club. Not having any of that, pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Popov doesn't seem to be rated in Bulgaria even, his record isn't great either.

Being linked with Belhanda too. Ain't no way that's gonna happen I'd say.

Corholio wrote: »
    Popov doesn't seem to be rated in Bulgaria even, his record isn't great either.

Being linked with Belhanda too. Ain't no way that's gonna happen I'd say.

Yeah, there's a few heavy hitters also in for him. Still, if Villa have bid ~12m for a player it's a promising sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a few heavy hitters also in for him. Still, if Villa have bid ~12m for a player it's a promising sign.

Only slim hope there is he says he'd love to go to England and of the 5 teams Villa is the only English one reported to be interested.....still prob won't happen though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

Looked at clips of that hughes lad on youtube and while he is young and should improve he is not worth a gamble of 10 million. We could get a proven good quaility midfielder for that.

Belhanda would be a dynamite signing. Any chance they would take Ireland or Zog and cash as a trade?

LeBash wrote: »
    Looked at clips of that hughes lad on youtube and while he is young and should improve he is not worth a gamble of 10 million. We could get a proven good quaility midfielder for that.

Belhanda would be a dynamite signing. Any chance they would take Ireland or Zog and cash as a trade?

Well Belhanda wants to move to Arsenal, so let's just do the same to him as we did to Benteke :D

Well Belhanda wants to move to Arsenal, so let's just do the same to him as we did to Benteke :D

Just change the sign over the door for a day or 2 "ARSENAL villa"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Sounds promising
    "I am definitely aware that there are five clubs with serious interest in me"

"The president told me how much I will cost for any team that wants me"

"I have told everyone that England will be my first choice.

"Aston Villa is a great club with a big history playing in the best league in the world, so let's see what will happen."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I dont expect him to sign but he would be a real coup for the side if he was recruited and would really improve our midfield. Keep Benteke & Weimann and we would be looking very tasty in an attacking sense too. Then sign a few defenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've a feeling we're trying to get in some people early for 2 reasons

1) Show Benteke etc that we are trying to push on and to give them a reason to stay.
    2) If we lose Benteke, we have some players in already who can ease the burden of a search

Kendrick claiming that we never bid and that 12.5m is outside of our range.... though he's been embarrassingly wide of the mark before...

Kendrick claiming that we never bid and that 12.5m is outside of our range.... though he's been embarrassingly wide of the mark before...

In fairness he has corrected himself since in that he means no business will be done till next week, he has said he isn't sure about bids.

To be honest I'd expect us to be paying that sort of money for someone, I would presume the club got an almighty fright that they very nearly got relegated. I'm not sure bargain lower league youngster's will be what's needed this time round.

Transfer News Live ‏@DeadlineDayLive Aston Villa have released defender Richard Dunne. (Source: Eurosport)

In fairness he has corrected himself since in that he means no business will be done till next week, he has said he isn't sure about bids.

To be honest I'd expect us to be paying that sort of money for someone, I would presume the club got an almighty fright that they very nearly got relegated. I'm not sure bargain lower league youngster's will be what's needed this time round.

That's certainly a point to consider. Plus it's not that the team needs a massive overhaul. 3 to 4 players should have us in a very stable position for next season. A marquee signing/statement of intent, then a few bargains from around Europe would do quite nicely.

• Advertisement

That's certainly a point to consider. Plus it's not that the team needs a massive overhaul. 3 to 4 players should have us in a very stable position for next season. A marquee signing/statement of intent, then a few bargains from around Europe would do quite nicely.

I think 3 to 4 might be exesive. At this moment id take belhanda and 1 defender and be extremely happy topped with benteke and wiemann staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I think 3 to 4 might be exesive. At this moment id take belhanda and 1 defender and be extremely happy topped with benteke and wiemann staying.

I think we need at least 2 defenders. A CB and an LB.

Really? I think we need 2 centre halves, LB and to be honest I'm not sure our centre midfield is still strong enough, I like Delph and Sylla played well, but I wouldn't be hugely enthusiastic if they were the only options with Westwood.

I've said it already but I think a few good games at the end of the season has clouded people's judgement on how awful Villa were for 85% of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

At least 4 player IMO, defense needs strengthening as well as midfield and if we get rid of Bent we should get in another backup striker as Bowry isn't someone to be depending on. That's at least 4 based on keeping N'Zog as well but if we ship him out we should get someone in his place too.

I don't think based on this season anyone can be confident that the defense or midfield will be consistent enough to guarantee an improved performance next season.

I'm in the at least 4 camp aswell. A CB, LB. We also need someone who can cover RB, but one of these could potentially do that.

An ACM and a winger too.

Then as mentioned if we lose someone like Bent we might need a backup striker. It could be argued that Wiemann could move into the center and we get a winger as replacement

It's impossible to say exactly where we need strengthening, as positions influence other positions. Sylla had a huge impact on Lowton's performances towards the end of the season, for example. A quality attacking midfielder, capable of linking defence with attack so moves don't break down, will take pressure off the defensive midfielders. A quality centre-half will help Bennett develop, etc. A decent winger will move Gabby or Weimann to backup striker, etc.

Plus, having a purple patch at the end of the season is exactly what you want from young players, as it shows they are improving and learning. I'd be much more concerned if we started off brilliantly and were then ****e for the remaining 85% of the season.

I would say 3 or 4 out of:

CB
    LB
    CM
    ACM
    Winger
    Striker

and all the other parts should fall into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well guys we have our yearly link with Defoe again :D.

Cash+Defoe for Benteke.

astonaidan wrote: »

Cash+Defoe for Benteke.

Who had June 6th in the sweepstakes?

robbed from VT...

astonaidan wrote: »

Cash+Defoe for Benteke.

Miguel should be next and then Robbie Keane coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Miguel should be next and then Robbie Keane coming back.

What about Kevin Doyle!!

• Advertisement

Tonev signed apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

5 players released midweek.

Any links for Tonev?

And apparently Baker signed a new 3 year contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Esse85 wrote: »
    5 players released midweek.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Synode wrote: »
    Who?

Marshall, Dunne, Lichaj, Dawkins, Makoun (Option to buy taken up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Marshall, Dunne, Lichaj, Dawkins, Makoun (Option to buy taken up)
    Must be over £100k per week off the wage bill.

Any links for Tonev?

None, but according to Wikipedia he's a Villa player!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Tonev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Must be over £100k per week off the wage bill.

Easily, Dunne and Makoun alone over 100k and the other 3 another 25/30k.

Hope Dicky Dunne finds a decent club and gets a good bit of playing time this year.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Easily, Dunne and Makoun alone over 100k and the other 3 another 25/30k.

Hope Dicky Dunne finds a decent club and gets a good bit of playing time this year.

Think Dunne was around 50 and would say Makoun was around 30. The others were probably on about 10k each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Any word on what's going to happen to Stephen Ireland? I image he would be available on a free since his wages are huge?

Can't believe how much of a dud Ireland has turned out to be. City definitely got the good end of that deal. We should never accept players as part of deals again unless it's someone we really, really want.

Can't believe how much of a dud Ireland has turned out to be. City definitely got the good end of that deal. We should never accept players as part of deals again unless it's someone we really, really want.

At the time, a lot of Villa fans (myself included!) thought we had gotten the good deal. But that probably had a lot to do with Ireland's natural ability and potential, and not a lot to do with his actual drive and desire to be a good player!

True, I wasn't against the deal either. Were City the one's pushing him as part of the deal or did we look for him? IIRC it was City throwing him in.

True, I wasn't against the deal either. Were City the one's pushing him as part of the deal or did we look for him? IIRC it was City throwing him in.

I'm not sure. I remember he was valued at about 8m. Didn't we get 16m + Ireland for Milner?

I remember being happy with that, as we were getting a good chunk of cash, plus a player who had the potential to be very good. Obviously it didn't work out, but if Ireland had had the desire to turn his career around, it could have been a great deal. I can understand why the club went for it.

Tonev signed. 3 year deal, final paperwork to be completed next week.

BMKftQdCAAAYF5J.jpg:large

• Advertisement

On the point on the Ireland Milner deal I was livid to lose Milner and still annoyed that we got fleeced.

Glad Lambert seems to have sorted out getting ripped off/used by Spurs.
    Looking forward to seeing Tonev. Think he'll play a diamond midfield with Tonev behind 2 strikers?

Tonev signed. 3 year deal, final paperwork to be completed next week.

Do you know how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Do you know how much?

£3.2m was the figure I saw quoted somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

At the time I don't think anyone realised Ireland had lost his motivation. City had started buying up loads of players and he was pushed out of the first team by expensive signings. When we bought him I thought we'd got the better deal and that he'd light up the PL when he was playing regularly again.

I think we'll find it hard to shift him unless we end up compensating him for taking a paycut at another club. This might be the best option, get some money off the wage bill and get the waster out of the club.

How much is he on, 55k p/w?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Obviously they are going to show the best of him but some of the goals he scored on YouTube can see why he's already been christened Atomic over on VT, has a peach of a left and right foot and seem to like to shoot on sight too...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement