Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

All MON's signings have gone, Ireland and Guzan don't count.

Think we might see the Mcleish signings of Nzog, Given and Hutton go this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

£3.2m was the figure I saw quoted somewhere.

That's the euro figure apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

JPA wrote: »

Great news.
    Hopefully it's Tekers next, then a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

JPA wrote: »

Good news but would have preferred a 4 year deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fantastic news. After Tonev, the 2 big links at the moment seem to be Belhanda and Okore. Not too familiar with Okore but he isn't short of suitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Irish Supporters Club Facebook page claiming the Luke Murphy signing is imminent too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

CSF wrote: »
    Fantastic news. After Tonev, the 2 big links at the moment seem to be Belhanda and Okore. Not too familiar with Okore but he isn't short of suitors.

Belhanda wont be signing.

All reliable sources suggest Villa may have asked what price he is - no more. Please lets put this to bed.

Okore appears near to signing in the next week.

Feidhlim wrote: »
    All reliable sources suggest Villa may have asked what price he is - no more. Please lets put this to bed.

to be fair, "all reliable sources" are some new guy who started at the express, and kendrick who only says what he's told he can say. Not saying that we are or aren't in for the guy, but his chairman came out and said that we had bid and the player confirmed it and said he was open to a move to us. We're a pretty strange club to be making up stuff like that about

This Okure punter looks more than decent, and still on 20 years of age. Hopefully we get him in.

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    to be fair, "all reliable sources" are some new guy who started at the express, and kendrick who only says what he's told he can say. Not saying that we are or aren't in for the guy, but his chairman came out and said that we had bid and the player confirmed it and said he was open to a move to us. We're a pretty strange club to be making up stuff like that about

that was a long time ago and to be honest we probably just asked how much he was rather then bid. Chairman could have been talking to up to get offers in

Reliable sources have been exactly that. Some chairman saying Villa made a bid a week or two ago, I just don't believe. He isn't our typical target player.

that was a long time ago and to be honest we probably just asked how much he was rather then bid. Chairman could have been talking to up to get offers in

Reliable sources have been exactly that. Some chairman saying Villa made a bid a week or two ago, I just don't believe. He isn't our typical target player.

It's either a statement of intent to Benteke or another Dempsey move, maybe to get a better deal on Popov.
    I won't lie though, every time I check the latest news part of me hopes its announced.

that was a long time ago

It was last week

And the player also said the same thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

From what I know of Belhamada hes not really a cm, more a Eden Hazard type player, So I know everyone seems to want a cm I think he could be a brilliant signing for our front 3 tactics.
    Do I think he will come, I wouldnt really be surprised to be honest, hes young which means he will have a resale value, he wont demand huge wages so I think he does fit with our new policy.
    Then again I could just be dreaming of a front 3 off Belhamada, Benteke and Gabby :D

astonaidan wrote: »
    From what I know of Belhamada hes not really a cm, more a Eden Hazard type player, So I know everyone seems to want a cm I think he could be a brilliant signing for our front 3 tactics.
    Do I think he will come, I wouldnt really be surprised to be honest, hes young which means he will have a resale value, he wont demand huge wages so I think he does fit with our new policy.
    Then again I could just be dreaming of a front 3 off Belhamada, Benteke and Gabby :D
    Weimann > Gabby

Weimann > Gabby
    Hmmm I rather Gabby myself in a front three, granted if we play 2 upfront Id rather Weimann

Belhanda, Weimann and Benteke would be the ideal complimentary combo for an all around attacking threat, imo.

Gabby on the bench to come on against teams who play a high line, or after we go ahead.

But having said that, is he that much quicker than Weimann? Weimann has some serious gas himself.

Would Tonev play as part of the front 3 or behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

I think Lamberts flavour this year will be 2-3-5 if we're after all the attacking mid/striker types since we've already got a decent strike force.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    I think Lamberts flavour this year will be 2-3-5 if we're after all the attacking mid/striker types since we've already got a decent strike force.

Excellent strategy. Score more goals than your opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Weimann has some serious gas himself.

That could come in very handy if he wanted to create some space in a crowded box or if he's being tightly marked :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Doodee wrote: »
    Excellent strategy. Score more goals than your opponent.

It's worked for Brazil on many an occasion. Honestly though, I get the feeling Tonev could cover at LB.

Raekwon wrote: »
    That could come in very handy if he wanted to create some space in a crowded box or if he's being tightly marked :p

:pac:

matrim wrote: »
    Would Tonev play as part of the front 3 or behind?

Good point actually. Surely that transfer indicates a change of tactics away from the 3 up front.

COYVB wrote: »
    It was last week

And the player also said the same thing...

I know it was last week but if we made an offer, surely we would have gone back again or Montpellier would have alerted the other interested clubs that a bid was accepted?

If we did bid, which I doubt, I don't think we will go back for more. It is not in line with Lamberts previous signings.

Personally, I think we enquired and that was it.

Belhanda didn't say Villa had bid. He said he was open to moving to Villa and England was his first choice. (open to correction if there is another source out there)

I would love this to happen but lets not kid ourselves. Everything, as of right now, suggests it wont.

It seems to be clouding some people's judgement. We are already talking about how he will fit into the team.

• Advertisement

Good point actually. Surely that transfer indicates a change of tactics away from the 3 up front.

Not necessarily

Perhaps an indication he would like the ability to play a different tactic if he sees fit (during a game rather then at the end of a game)

Currently, that would involve playing Ireland or NZogbia - neither of whom Lambert rated very highly. He tried it during the season but clearly the 3 up front was the only tactic that worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Belhanda, Weimann and Benteke would be the ideal complimentary combo for an all around attacking threat, imo.

Gabby on the bench to come on against teams who play a high line, or after we go ahead.

But having said that, is he that much quicker than Weimann? Weimann has some serious gas himself.

At full pelt he's definitely quicker than Weimann, he's never used it anywhere near enough or in the proper way over the years though.

Looks like Villa's new sponsor is another gambling company, not sure who exactly though.

Corholio wrote: »
    At full pelt he's definitely quicker than Weimann, he's never used it anywhere near enough or in the proper way over the years though.

Good point, application is as important as ability.

However, tactics also come into play; if he only gets the ball in the final third he can't really use his top speed to much advantage.

I wonder who'd have the quicker acceleration actually... much more important for a striker

Not necessarily

Perhaps an indication he would like the ability to play a different tactic if he sees fit (during a game rather then at the end of a game)

Currently, that would involve playing Ireland or NZogbia - neither of whom Lambert rated very highly. He tried it during the season but clearly the 3 up front was the only tactic that worked

When you consider that Villa has some strong competition for Tonev's signature, I'd expect he was signed as a starter.

No doubt Lambert will be managing his squad in his first full summer as Villa manager, in a way that enables him to switch between a number of formations, but when you look at the players signed/linked I would be expecting wingers and a number 10 to be the most frequently used setup behind Benteke.

• Advertisement

Aalborg have put up on their website that they are in talks with Villa over striker Nicklas Helenius

http://fodbold.aabsport.dk/nyheder/2013/06/aab-i-forhandlinger-med-aston-villa.aspx

Also Villa are apparently in talks with another winger.

Edit: Villa have officially confirmed the talks now

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3206746,00.html

Corholio wrote: »
    Aalborg have put up on their website that they are in talks with Villa over striker Nicklas Helenius

http://fodbold.aabsport.dk/nyheder/2013/06/aab-i-forhandlinger-med-aston-villa.aspx

Also Villa are apparently in talks with another winger.

Edit: Villa have officially confirmed the talks now

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3206746,00.html

For a moment I was thinking of Cornelius there and got overly excited :-(

On the OS now: http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3206746,00.html

He's 6"5, can use both feet, seems to have decent touch for a big man.... hopefully a backup and not a replacement for someone else who fits that description!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

On the OS now: http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3206746,00.html

He's 6"5, can use both feet, seems to have decent touch for a big man.... hopefully a backup and not a replacement for someone else who fits that description!

Here's the usual goals compilation... Youtube Link

Suprised that we've announced that we've bid / are in talks. We normally don't say anything along those lines

matrim wrote: »
    Suprised that we've announced that we've bid / are in talks. We normally don't say anything along those lines

I think it is because they did.

His current employer are a public listed company, so the information needs to be made public to keep with regulations for the Danish stock exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭LeBash

Helenius looks damn good with the ball at his feet. From the goals ive seen he doesnt seem to make the most of his height but if he can finish 20 using only his arse its good enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Some cracking finishes. This vid is better here

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

I hope Nicholas Helenius is a replacement for Bent and not for Benteke.

• Advertisement

Looks a tidy player. Not sure he needs to necessarily be a replacement for anyone, we've got a tiny squad remember

Shopping early sends great messages to all parties in camp deadwood aswell. Nobody can make the claim that we need to sell first in order to buy, so clubs and agents can't be holding us to ransom. Whereas before, a player may have thought, well they can't sign anyone unless I leave, so either I get a good offer or I stay. Not only can that card not be played, but they will also be in no doubt whatsoever that they will be rotting in the reserves all season if they stick around, which may encourage them to take a paycut in order to leave.

No idea how reliable this source is, but it claims a fee of 20m DK has been agreed for Okore (2.3m) and he will travel to Birmingham this week for a medical...

http://politiken.dk/sport/fodbold/premierleague/ECE1994950/jores-okore-til-aston-villa-i-rekordhandel/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

New Home and away jerseys to be unveiled at 2pm.

God do you remember the days when we'd be desperately hoping the unveiling of the new jerseys might be used to announce the first signing of the window :pac:

No idea how reliable this source is, but it claims a fee of 20m DK has been agreed for Okore (2.3m) and he will travel to Birmingham this week for a medical...

http://politiken.dk/sport/fodbold/premierleague/ECE1994950/jores-okore-til-aston-villa-i-rekordhandel/

Lambert wasting no time at all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Lambert wasting no time at all!!!

The Sun (I know) is reporting that a fee of 4m has been agreed. Either way this is the one I really hope we can tie up early.

Whatever about Belhanda - I think we're still looking for a dominant CM. I know Sylla, Delph and Westwood did well towards the end of the season but no reason why we shouldn't strengthen.

The only thing I'd worry about Okore is his age. We'd be adding another inexperienced CB to an already inexperienced back line. I know that Lowton, Baker and Clark now have a year in the first team behind them but they are still only between 21 and 23.

But if Lambert is setting Villa up to play like no other team in the EPL, what use is EPL experience?

• Advertisement

Sooooo, Is Paul on holidays in Denmark or something

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement