Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

COYVB wrote: »
    If he has a decent preseason and gets more comfortable with English, the area and his team mates, he's going to be a monster.

258753.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Great start to the season!

17/08/2013 15:00 Arsenal (a)

24/08/2013 15:00 Liverpool (h)

31/08/2013 15:00 Chelsea (a)

14/09/2013 15:00 Newcastle United (h)

21/09/2013 15:00 Norwich City (a)

28/09/2013 15:00 Manchester City (h)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Great start to the season!

17/08/2013 15:00 Arsenal (a)

24/08/2013 15:00 Liverpool (h)

31/08/2013 15:00 Chelsea (a)

14/09/2013 15:00 Newcastle United (h)

21/09/2013 15:00 Norwich City (a)

28/09/2013 15:00 Manchester City (h)

You can probably move Chelsea to another date as they play Athletico on the 30th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Poor opening run. I was hoping to start with a couple of easier games to help the new guys gel into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Got to take the good with the bad I guess.

Is there any more rumour with Belhanda? would still like to hear us make a coup with his signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Doodee wrote: »
    Is there any more rumour with Belhanda? would still like to hear us make a coup with his signing.

I'd doubt there was anything in it to begin with to be honest.

Jeaaaysis that's a rough run of fixtures. If we've 3 points from those games we'll be doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Well that's a tough start alright. But in one way it's not a bad thing. There's no pressure on as we're not expected to do much in those games. It will give the new guys a chance to gel, and hopefully they will be well bedded in by the time fixtures get a bit easier.

And actually, frequently the bigger teams aren't that hot either in the first couple of games. Chelsea and City will both have new managers and presumably new players, so it will be a bedding in period for them too. It might be as good a time as any to nick a point from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well that's a tough start alright. But in one way it's not a bad thing. There's no pressure on as we're not expected to do much in those games. It will give the new guys a chance to gel, and hopefully they will be well bedded in by the time fixtures get a bit easier.

And actually, frequently the bigger teams aren't that hot either in the first couple of games. Chelsea and City will both have new managers and presumably new players, so it will be a bedding in period for them too. It might be as good a time as any to nick a point from them!

And pool will have no andy carroll or suarez :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

listermint wrote: »
    And pool will have no andy carroll or suarez :P

And Newcastle are currently having all sorts of fun and games within their management, I'd imagine there'll be a few French lads looking for a way out of there soon.

Also just to add, finally there could be a Christmas season we could enjoy - have a vague memory the last few Christmases have been very tough. And there're a few games before the last day we could target for points if in another relegation scrap.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    And Newcastle are currently having all sorts of fun and games within their management, I'd imagine there'll be a few French lads looking for a way out of there soon.

Also just to add, finally there could be a Christmas season we could enjoy - have a vague memory the last few Christmases have been very tough. And there're a few games before the last day we could target for points if in another relegation scrap.

We nearly always were the Stephens and or New Years Day televised game because it was against one of the big 4 so in a way it's a plesent surprise we don't play them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

November looks like it could be an alright month for us. Just hope they gel by then. There are a lot of players that need to click and if we beleive what we hear therewill be at least one more potentially 2

Not too worried about the team gelling as they'll have a full preseason and not many of the new signings will immediately be starters. I don't see Bacuna or Helenius commanding an immediate start and it's unlikely Tonev will get ahead of Gabby and Weimann. But we'll see, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Luna confirmed as per club Facebook.

Holman gone so the shipping out starts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Season expectations? Top 10 perhaps?

djPSB wrote: »
    Season expectations? Top 10 perhaps?

12-14th. Top 10 would be asking alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CSF wrote: »

Don't know if its unrealistic. West Brom, Swansea and west ham managed it and were no great shakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Champions by Feb for me :D

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Don't know if its unrealistic. West Brom, Swansea and west ham managed it and were no great shakes.

Would have been a bold prediction for them too. Someone has to fill those 8th to 10th places though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

With Okore in defence I reckon Villa be much improved, so anywhere between 8th and 13th I'd expect.

With Okore in defence I reckon Villa be much improved, so anywhere between 8th and 13th I'd expect.

How much of Okore have you seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

We weren't particularly far off it this season. There's not that much of a jump from 17th to 10th in the premiership over the difference of a season, really

We weren't particularly far off it this season. There's not that much of a jump from 17th to 10th in the premiership over the difference of a season, really

Think you might be underestimating that a tiny bit. I remain cautious but hopeful. Still think Lamberts plan won't fully pay dividends for another season or 2

Think you might be underestimating that a tiny bit. I remain cautious but hopeful. Still think Lamberts plan won't fully pay dividends for another season or 2

I wouldn't say so. Couple of results in our favour and we'd have been top half. The premier league isn't that good outside the top 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

N'Zogbia 'injured while on holiday'. May miss the start of the season.

I wouldn't say so. Couple of results in our favour and we'd have been top half. The premier league isn't that good outside the top 5

I know how close it is, but we haven't seen anything to suggest Villa have bridged the gap on Swansea or West Brom yet. Lets hope the new lads do the biz.

I know how close it is, but we haven't seen anything to suggest Villa have bridged the gap on Swansea or West Brom yet. Lets hope the new lads do the biz.

The last few months of the season didn't suggest that?

0,,10265~12021924,00.jpg

The Luna has landed

No all teams have good and bad spells throughout a season. Those teams were more consistent throughout the season. Consistency is what Lambert needs to prove this season and I think he will to an extent, just maybe not quite as much as you think he will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Neil3030 wrote: »
    0,,10265~12021924,00.jpg

The Luna has landed

Excellent!
    Have loads more options now. Going to be very exciting seeing this team grow together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

astonaidan wrote: »
    Champions by Feb for me :D

Champions or Championship.........

or Champions League!!!!:cool:

And while I really don't want to become the thread's Negative Nancy, it wasn't even 2 months of form. It was a good 8 game spell despite 2 defeats but was worthy of the end result of staying up where it hadn't looked previously likely.

Still lots of work to do to push away from the relegation battle and into the safe confines of the top half of the table.

And while I really don't want to become the thread's Negative Nancy, it wasn't even 2 months of form. It was a good 8 game spell despite 2 defeats but was worthy of the end result of staying up where it hadn't looked previously likely.

Still lots of work to do to push away from the relegation battle and into the safe confines of the top half of the table.

It wasn't about results, from half time in the newcastle game we clicked. We looked a far more cohesive unit - they players looked like they "got it" at last. Screw the results, I'm talking about the massive strides in football

It wasn't about results, from half time in the newcastle game we clicked. We looked a far more cohesive unit - they players looked like they "got it" at last. Screw the results, I'm talking about the massive strides in football
    That is the difference with form and confidence brought about by good performances. Remains to be seen if that will follow into next season especially with the tough start. If Benteke went tomorrow I'd still be terrified of the drop. I'm happy enough keeping my expectations low and allowing myself to be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it's important the defence can gel quickly and be a lot more solid than last season, not keeping a clean sheet for 6 months was shocking to be honest and only saved by Benteke's great form. All the signs is Okore could be a good signing there, but like all the others we'll wait and see.

That is the difference with form and confidence brought about by good performances. Remains to be seen if that will follow into next season especially with the tough start. If Benteke went tomorrow I'd still be terrified of the drop. I'm happy enough keeping my expectations low and allowing myself to be pleasantly surprised.

IMO that exact same squad we had on the last day of the season would be capable of top 10 this coming season with no ins or outs. The squad now is capable of it too. If we lose Benteke, we're still capable of it, but we'll need a hell of a step up from Gabby or Andi, or for Helenius to make a hell of a mark. 8th, 9th and 10th could be literally any team who stayed up last season. Everton have a new manager now too - I don't necessarily think they're a given to be in the European chasing clubs.

Mistakes, inexperience and lack of familiarity hurt us big time last season. Will we make mistakes again this season? Absolutely. Will we get punished for almost every single one of them with a goal against like we did last season? Highly unlikely. Those players have a very, very tough season under their belts now too, and towards the end of the season they looked a lot more comfortable. Yes, that might be a handily timed bump in form or confidence, but it could also be that the players were finally after growing comfortable with what's being asked of them.

We were absolutely awful for a good deal of the season last year, and still could've made top 10 without too much more. We lost a LOT of games playing the wrong system. When we settled on one, there was an almost immediate improvement in performances, and then results. It wasn't quite enough at times, but that's the good thing about young players - they improve all the time.

Relegation won't be a concern this year, realistically. Sadly our starting fixtures probably mean there'll be a bit of hysteria around it since we'll essentially be giving everyone else a big head start, but we'll be fine long term IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Villa could definitely finish 9-11 this year. As long as we stay away from relegation fights I think we're showing progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

When you consider that 6 more points last season would have put Villa in 9th, then top 10 is achievable next season. Good leads were thrown away last season and had a fair share of bad luck which hopefully won`t be as significant in the upcoming season.

As for Benteke, if he doesn`t sign an extension, it would be better to hold on to him for a season and sell him for 10m next Summer than to sell him for 25m this Summer IMO. A season of relative stability is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

what ye reckon will be the first team nxt year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

kevthegaff wrote: »
    what ye reckon will be the first team nxt year?

Guzan

Lowton - Vlaar - Okore - Luna

Westwood - Delph/Sylla

Gabby - "New Signing" - Weimann

Beneteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Does anyone think we should be looking at Wanyama from Celtic?

I still feel need a strong midfielder.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Does anyone think we should be looking at Wanyama from Celtic?

I still feel need a strong midfielder.

Probably wouldn't be prepared to pay the fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

JPA wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't be prepared to pay the fee.

I think there's still money there if Lambert can justify a signing. Maybe not a 20m player but I could easily see us paying 10m for someone if they were good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Helix wrote: »

el ahmadi looks like he'll be a really good signing, as does holman, somewhat unexpectedly

LOL

the seasonal goal was always staying in the league, which we'll comfortably do LOL KEA is a better version of petrov LOL, vlaar is twice the player of collins, LOL

:rolleyes:

i think you're all underrating herd. he's a very good player as things stand, with the potential to get a lot better

LOL

i think both the defence and the midfield are a lot better than you assume

LOL

Center back
    Central Midfield
    Centre forward

The spine of the team is much stronger than last season. Then you've the younger lads like Liston, Bennett and the chesterfield chap... Arguably Bennett can't be worse than warlock and Liston can't be worse than hutton... So that's both full backs strengthened too

LOL

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    I think there's still money there if Lambert can justify a signing. Maybe not a 20m player but I could easily see us paying 10m for someone if they were good enough

Maybe but not on a defensive midfielder.

A Playmaker or a classy creative type could see the cash being splashed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement