Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

kilburn wrote: »
    Who is he? :confused:

Link?

Young Norwich keeper. Been in the pipeline for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Feidhlim wrote: »
    I wouldn't like players like that at our club. Not doubting his ability btw.
    Like what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Esse85 wrote: »
    Like what?

He's perceived to be a dirty player. I personally think he has problems with timing his tackles. The Aaron Ramsey one, it clearly wasn't malicious but it was a nasty one all the same. He's also done in Francis Jeffers and Adebayor. I'd see him as a liability.

On another point, did I spot a boardie out and about Dublin with the new jersey yesterday??

circadian wrote: »
    He's perceived to be a dirty player. I personally think he has problems with timing his tackles. The Aaron Ramsey one, it clearly wasn't malicious but it was a nasty one all the same. He's also done in Francis Jeffers and Adebayor. I'd see him as a liability.

On another point, did I spot a boardie out and about Dublin with the new jersey yesterday??
    Well over the last 2 season's the refs don't seem to think so as he hasn't been sent off in the past couple of seasons.

Didn't start 5 PL games in the last 3 seasons, not like he misses games through suspension.

Would certainly improve the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Well over the last 2 season's the refs don't seem to think so as he hasn't been sent off in the past couple of seasons.

Didn't start 5 PL games in the last 3 seasons, not like he misses games through suspension.

Would certainly improve the starting 11.

I don't disagree that he'd add something, it's just when something goes wrong for him it can really go wrong.
    Titus Bramble is the same, he's grand most of the time but when he cocks up it's monumental. Shawcross is better.

Still, I don't think he'd suit the system and I don't see Stoke being willing to let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Have we made an offer for Belhanda? Seems to say so here:

Reports-claim-Younes-Belhanda-to-decide-between-England-and-Abu-Dhabi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

rgiller wrote: »
    Have we made an offer for Belhanda? Seems to say so here:

Reports-claim-Younes-Belhanda-to-decide-between-England-and-Abu-Dhabi

It doesn't say that

He wont be signing - reliable links say we aren't in form him

circadian wrote: »

He is a dirty player, excluding mistimed challenges.

Linked with Stephane Mbia from QPR today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Corholio wrote: »
    Linked with Stephane Mbia from QPR today.

Don't think id fancy him at all at all. Didn't look up to much for QPR. Big and strong but talent and attitude wise id be pretty unconvinced.

Wouldn't be a typical Lambert signing either really.

Linked with the lad Ba at Porto again. think we are now ok for CB cover so unless he's an upgrade on Clark or Baker there is no need really.

Lambert according to various gossip columns has told Stevens, the Fonz and Bannon they can leave. Prob better for all three to move on for first team football. Gutted Bannon never turned into the player he had the potential to be.

So with the three above, Given Ireland and Bent all to leave.

Petrov retired and Dunne released.

Big turnover of players but it shouldn't affect us too much as none of these lads played much last season.

If we get rid of all the above I presume we will be in for another 1 or 2 oursleves. Prob pointless speculating who as Lamberts signings bar the Eng lower league player have all been relative unknows.

It's exciting though and good to see some prudence and common sense being applied to the transfer/wage budgets.

Can see us being stuck with Ireland though..nobody will take a chance on him unless he's willing to take a massive massive pay cut. Again just such a waste of real talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

rebelomar wrote: »
    Don't think id fancy him at all at all. Didn't look up to much for QPR. Big and strong but talent and attitude wise id be pretty unconvinced.

Wouldn't be a typical Lambert signing either really.

Linked with the lad Ba at Porto again. think we are now ok for CB cover so unless he's an upgrade on Clark or Baker there is no need really.

Lambert according to various gossip columns has told Stevens, the Fonz and Bannon they can leave. Prob better for all three to move on for first team football. Gutted Bannon never turned into the player he had the potential to be.

So with the three above, Given Ireland and Bent all to leave.

Petrov retired and Dunne released.

Big turnover of players but it shouldn't affect us too much as none of these lads played much last season.

If we get rid of all the above I presume we will be in for another 1 or 2 oursleves. Prob pointless speculating who as Lamberts signings bar the Eng lower league player have all been relative unknows.

It's exciting though and good to see some prudence and common sense being applied to the transfer/wage budgets.

Can see us being stuck with Ireland though..nobody will take a chance on him unless he's willing to take a massive massive pay cut. Again just such a waste of real talent.

Banban and Fonz have had chances and not done enough. Wouldn't mind seeing stephens loaned out to see if he can impove

matrim wrote: »
    Banban and Fonz have had chances and not done enough. Wouldn't mind seeing stephens loaned out to see if he can impove

Defo! Thought he looked a really decent palyer the few times he played. Very composed on the ball...snappy in the tackle and seemed to read the game well. Ok he made some defensive mistakes but who didn't last season. A decent loan spell could maybe iron out those little mistakes imo..

Bannan actually went backwards, gave away the ball with idiotic passes like noone else. Always thought Fonz was a bit fragile, sometimes he'd show a burst of pace and was supposedly a great finisher, but seemed like if he didn't play well it'd affect him.

The Mbia link was probably nonsense alright, although a player of that ilk is someone I'd like to see in there tbh.

Corholio wrote: »
    Bannan actually went backwards, gave away the ball with idiotic passes like noone else. Always thought Fonz was a bit fragile, sometimes he'd show a burst of pace and was supposedly a great finisher, but seemed like if he didn't play well it'd affect him.

The Mbia link was probably nonsense alright, although a player of that ilk is someone I'd like to see in there tbh.

Yeah id agree to an extent. If both Delph and Sylla kick on then maybe the need is eased but CURRENTLY a bit of physical presence/size looks like its required in there. With the players he has signed I think Lambert will mix and match from game to game.

I suppose the beauty of it is nobody really know what these new players will offer or are capable off. Hopefully we keep the same front three playing consistently as they were dynamite. They offer a huge threat.

If Tonev is as creative/skillful as we hope then it will link in well with the attributes of the front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Belhanda gone to Kiev.
    Now we can put that one to rest.

• Advertisement

Bannan, Albrighton, Delfounseo all should of performed better and failed to live up to the early promise they showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bannan, Albrighton, Delfounseo all should of performed better and failed to live up to the early promise they showed.

I still have some hope for Albrighton.

CSF wrote: »
    I still have some hope for Albrighton.
    Mentally I don't think he's strong enough, seems to have no confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

The academy has given us very few players that are above average. For all the talk about it the only player we produced that was sold for a decent fee has been Barry and Brighton were involved in that.

What is the breakdown from youth teams to the first team? I hope PL has broken that cycle and it does seem he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

LeBash wrote: »
    The academy has given us very few players that are above average. For all the talk about it the only player we produced that was sold for a decent fee has been Barry and Brighton were involved in that.

What is the breakdown from youth teams to the first team? I hope PL has broken that cycle and it does seem he has.

Didnt Cahill go for 6mill, thats handy enough for a guy that hadnt played much

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Didnt Cahill go for 6mill, thats handy enough for a guy that hadnt played much

True. I think thats it though.

We've made 2 - 4m on a few players

Luke Moore - 3m
    Cahill - 5m
    Ridgewell - 2m
    Davies - 4m
    Gardner - 3.5m

So overall not too bad a return, given that there are other players in there for a few hundred thousand.

While we haven't produced any really exceptional players yet we've a decent return and you could probably field an ok PL team from our academy players

Myhill
    Herd - Cahill - Baker - Ridgewell
    ---Davies - Gardner - Clark
    -- Gabby - Wiemann - Moore

Bench: G Gardner, Whithingham, Albrighton, Hitzlsperger, Bannan

We've made 2 - 4m on a few players

Luke Moore - 3m
    Cahill - 5m
    Ridgewell - 2m
    Davies - 4m
    Gardner - 3.5m

So overall not too bad a return, given that there are other players in there for a few hundred thousand.

While we haven't produced any really exceptional players yet we've a decent return and you could probably field an ok PL team from our academy players

Myhill
    Herd - Cahill - Baker - Ridgewell
    ---Davies - Gardner - Clark
    -- Gabby - Wiemann - Moore

Bench: G Gardner, Whithingham, Albrighton, Hitzlsperger, Bannan

Hitzlsperger signed when he was 18, hardly a product of our academy..?

Feidhlim wrote: »
    Hitzlsperger signed when he was 18, hardly a product of our academy..?

Always thought we signed him when he was younger and he came through the academy. Could be wrong though.

Always thought we signed him when he was younger and he came through the academy. Could be wrong though.

My post shouldn't have a question mark in it. I was trying to politely say you are wrong and he was signed at 18 :P

A supposed past target, Luke Murphy, has joined Leeds from Crewe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

belhanda is unhappy about his move to kiev..apparently he only signed a pre contract...
    Lambert is looking at Hiroshi Kiyotake of nuremberg at the moment,he is a class act and i reckon a direct replacement for bannan:-)

Just a reminder. Tickets for the Shamrock Rovers game go on sale today

http://astonvilla.ie/shamrock-rovers-vs-aston-villa-tickets/

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    belhanda is unhappy about his move to kiev..apparently he only signed a pre contract...
    Lambert is looking at Hiroshi Kiyotake of nuremberg at the moment,he is a class act and i reckon a direct replacement for bannan:-)

Please. Not again. He isn't signing for us.

Edit: Sorry, I read that as Belhanda would be a class act and direct replacement to Bannan. Either way, Hiroshi isn't signing either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Paul McGrath tweeted at 9am today: "I love Aston Villa and I'm pissed, soz"

• Advertisement

Enquiry for Hiroshi Kiyotake rejected by Nuremberg. Anybody know what he is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I hate to say it but it seems he'll never change much like George Best. I hope I'm wrong :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

:(

I read his autobiography recently and you can fully understand where his booze problem stems from. Still the best player to put on an Ireland and Villa jersey in my opinion and im blinkered so nobody waste your time trying to change my mind.

LeBash wrote: »
    I read his autobiography recently and you can fully understand where his booze problem stems from. Still the best player to put on an Ireland and Villa jersey in my opinion and im blinkered so nobody waste your time trying to change my mind.
    Why would anyone want to change your mind? He is an alcoholic, not a murderer. Irish hero.

He's now claiming his account was hacked...

Why would anyone want to change your mind? He is an alcoholic, not a murderer. Irish hero.

Think you missed the point. Im saying in my opinion there isnt a better player for Ireland or Villa. His personal life is exactly that.

Not a peep about Benteke in the media of late. Calm before the storm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Not a peep about Benteke in the media of late. Calm before the storm?
    Stop It!! :mad:

astonaidan wrote: »
    Stop It!! :mad:

Don't read the Benteke page on villatalk. When I looked earlier there were 3 pages debating if Delph has bad english or was saying goodbye to benteke on twitter

Don't read the Benteke page on villatalk. When I looked earlier there were 3 pages debating if Delph has bad english or was saying goodbye to benteke on twitter

FYP :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

There will be numerous attempts to sign him before the window is shut, nothing more certain. Thing is will he go! I doubt it myself unless its a European superpower that comes knocking, in which case anyone will go.

Your biggest worry with regards to him leaving would not be Lambert or the man himself but Lerner. If one of the mega teams - or Daniel Levy for that matter- come knocking then I can't imagine Lerner not being anything but tied up by them. Still wouldnt worry though. My guess is he's a Villan for one more year anyway.

Were I Lerner, I'd price him at roughly what he'd be worth if he had another season of 20+ goals. By then you'd be talking about a 23 year old, proven EPL goal scorer with so much more to his game in terms of linkup, targetman play. All this, and the fact that he is a UNIT who disrupts defences for fun.

All of these factors would combine to make his worth approximately 35m - 45m, I would say. If a club is willing to offer that now, we get a good deal and we should take it. If not, we take the risk that he was a one-season wonder, and potentially watch his stock fall. But the upside to the latter option, of course, is that he does actually have another brilliant season, in which case the club benefits from his goals, and the fact that he could be sold for the premium price next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Guzan signs a new 4 year deal.

I'd say his contract for last season was very small.

• Advertisement

Were I Lerner, I'd price him at roughly what he'd be worth if he had another season of 20+ goals. By then you'd be talking about a 23 year old, proven EPL goal scorer with so much more to his game in terms of linkup, targetman play. All this, and the fact that he is a UNIT who disrupts defences for fun.

All of these factors would combine to make his worth approximately 35m - 45m, I would say. If a club is willing to offer that now, we get a good deal and we should take it. If not, we take the risk that he was a one-season wonder, and potentially watch his stock fall. But the upside to the latter option, of course, is that he does actually have another brilliant season, in which case the club benefits from his goals, and the fact that he could be sold for the premium price next summer.

Not a hope he will be sold until next summer at the earliest, IMO.

Even if he scores only 15 goals all season - if his overall play is to the same standard or continues to improve, he will still command between 25 and 30 million. I don't think he will go for above 30m.

In any case, taking that money is only a good idea if he is near the end of his contract (which he is not) or we know we can get a replacement of equal quality (which we don't know for sure, though I have confidence in Paul's scouting network)

Next season, post world cup, he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Goal.com saying chelsea are in for Benteke.

I just cant see it tBh oh and its Goal so its probably a load of balls.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Goal.com saying chelsea are in for Benteke.

I just cant see it tBh oh and its Goal so its probably a load of balls.

When I saw your name in this thread for some reason I knew what this was going to be. Gah.

Chelsea already have one Belgian unit. Fifa Fairplay rules clearly state that you can't have two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

When I saw your name in this thread for some reason I knew what this was going to be. Gah.

I think its a load of **** TBH, cant see us going for him with Lukaku onboard.
    Chelsea already have one Belgian unit. Fifa Fairplay rules clearly state that you can't have two.

I agree, dont think we need, basically another Lukaku, if thats the case keep the Lukaku you have. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement