Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned his agent. One more good season for Villa and everybody's a winner. He gets a rise this season, Vila get a mega transfer next year and with the contracts some of the mega teams are handing out at the moment, Benteke could have hit the big time.

This debacle could be a mess unless Lambert talks some sence into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Highlights of the friendly the other day. Helenius scores a nice header, the other lads scored a peach of a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

JPA wrote: »
    I think he's been badly advised by his agent. In fact I think his agent has ****ed up. Benteke could have stayed another season with a pay rise, gone to the WC, hopefully performed and got a move with the clubs blessing.
    But instead he has created a situation where the club will dig their heels in.

The agent may have already had contact with Spurs and they have said what they will pay and believes Villa will negotiate the fee. Even if they do , Villa will still want 20 million+ so I don't know where they can go from here.

The Chelsea link seems to be a media invention, the Arsenal link based on past quotes, Man City link just laziness. Dortmund and Athletico Madrid have filled their striker positions.
    Don't know where things can go from here.

Certainly a gun jumped somewhere. The transfer request should really be kept in the back pocket until much later in negotiations, when the player and his agent know that there is a club willing to offer terms they like, and also pay a fee near enough to that which the selling club will like, and eschewing the loyalty bonus etc will be enough to get it across the line.

From the looks of things, Benteke has handed in a transfer request way too hastily and it could leave him in a pretty difficult spot come close of the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

I don't think Benteke will end up at Spurs because Levy will try to drive a hard bargain even though Villa hold all the aces.

He's under contract for another 3 years, Villa are setting the parameters for negotiations and if he goes on strike then PL would happily leave him in the reserves for a year before WC2014. Whatever you think about about Lerner, we don't let our marquee players go for cheap.

Unless Levy meets our asking price then there's no deal - it must be killing him :D

and he can pi$$ off with swap deals as well!

Is there any precedent for a player not being allowed leave a club following an official request, downing tools and being cast to the reserves for the proceeding season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is there any precedent for a player not being allowed leave a club following an official request, downing tools and being cast to the reserves for the proceeding season?

Llorente I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Van hooijdonk at forest. Dummy out of the pram in the summer Forest refused to listen to any offers and he came back cap in hand in November

LeBash wrote: »
    Van hooijdonk at forest. Dummy out of the pram in the summer Forest refused to listen to any offers and he came back cap in hand in November

Yikes.... let's just quickly gloss over where Forest ended that season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If he's not sold he'll be back in the team sharpish. In fact he'll play the first game if still here and fit, with nothing pending.

JPA wrote: »
    If he's not sold he'll be back in the team sharpish. In fact he'll play the first game if still here and fit, with nothing pending.

Yeah, I'm just curious to see who usually fairs out better in such a scenario - do the club eventually win out and get the player back relatively quickly playing and playing well, or does the player win out by holding firm on his desire to leave, tough it out in the reserves and still get the move away to his desired destination some time down the road.

For example, PVH eventually moved to Vitesse... that was hardly the move he was holding out for when he threw out the dummy at Forest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Given to Doncaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Christ I hope we dont get anyway Spurs trades, Ive no interest in the names Parker and Defore which keep coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Jake Livermore or Kyle Naughton wouldn't be bad squad additions if wages were low. Siggurdsson would be decent but probably not needed as much and probably on big enough wages.

Sigurdsson would be fantastic.

I dont want Demba Ba to replace Benteke, not at all interested in the player for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

astonaidan wrote: »
    I dont want Demba Ba to replace Benteke, not at all interested in the player for us

I'd say he wouldn't be too kenn on us either. Plus his wages are rather high.
    I don't think the media know who we'd be after tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Gonna bet the rest of my can of beer that we'll still have Benteke at the start of the season.....unless its been kept very quiet the only teams we know "might" be interested in him are Spurs and Chelsea so far...Spurs won't pay the supposed £25m asking and we won't accept part exchange cause what they are offering is all muck....Chelsea could afford it but will they...personally I don't really fancy Ba either as part of the deal he's a totally different player than Benteke and just can't see him fitting in with the kind if football we are playing at the min...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Westwood signed a new 4-year contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Certainly a gun jumped somewhere. The transfer request should really be kept in the back pocket until much later in negotiations, when the player and his agent know that there is a club willing to offer terms they like, and also pay a fee near enough to that which the selling club will like, and eschewing the loyalty bonus etc will be enough to get it across the line.

From the looks of things, Benteke has handed in a transfer request way too hastily and it could leave him in a pretty difficult spot come close of the transfer window.

Yep I'm wondering is this his agent trying to get something to happen, a 'come and get me shout', after loads of hype and speculation at the end if the season had quietened right down into no solid offers of contact. An ambitious agent, who might have been promising huge money and a big transfer, could be behind the request. It's very strange that after such a transfer request no other team has come forward with an offer.

Maybe whatever team that was sniffing around is worried about being accused of tapping Benteke up and spooked by his preemptive request. All very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Hopefully this plays out that Benteke sacks his agent after being very badly advised.

I think regardless the most we will get is one more year but i would love to be able to build something around him. Wonder ifhe'd be willing to stay if we have an impressive finish next season?

Anyway, 1-1 draw again laat night. Wieman scored with a cool finish. A lot of the young lads played last night. Caruthers apparently the best of them.

LeBash wrote: »
    Caruthers apparently the best of them.

Good to hear, he really should be given an opportunity this season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

1-1 again V Bochum they equalized with the last kick. Helenius again with a header.

Still unbeaten and Helenius is looking promising.

Villa are unbeaten in all competitions since Benteke was sent off against Chelsea...

#whoneedshim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Villa are unbeaten in all competitions since Benteke was sent off against Chelsea...

#whoneedshim
    How many games have the team won since that sending off?

• Advertisement

I know Ill probably get banned for this, but if he would lower his wage demands I wouldnt mind seeing Bendtner at The Villa

I know Ill probably get banned for this, but if he would lower his wage demands I wouldnt mind seeing Bendtner at The Villa

Post reported.

CSF wrote: »
    Post reported.

How many dupe accounts do I need to open to get this as post of the day? :pac:

Seems like an absolute moron.

Has a poor goal scoring record for a striker.

Doesn't get in the box enough.

Why do you think he'd be a good signing?

Maybe astonaidan is his agent :P

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    Seems like an absolute moron.

Has a poor goal scoring record for a striker.

Doesn't get in the box enough.

Why do you think he'd be a good signing?

His goal scoring record for Denmark is quiet good, I think the main thing holding him back at Arsenal and Juve was the clubs were too big for him and he did well at Arsenal, at the right club he could do very well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

tumblr_lwsbmaBLPy1r5gxtwo1_500.jpg

tbh I think he is a good player and as you point out his record for Denmark would suggest this but he also comes across as a complete knob imo and not in the sense that like a Bellamy or a Suarez (unitl recently) where we would love him while he infuriates opposing fans.

that being said if Lambert fancied him and signed him (I assume as a Benteke replacement) up i'd support the idea but hope that we also signed another player (with the Benteke cash) as id feel he would be a big downgrade from Benteke.

I would recon he could be got relatively cheap as Arsenal would be happy to get rid but that he wouldnt want a big drop in wages and Villa would def want him to take a pay cut. He thinks he is far better than he is too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I've now come to the conclusion that you are the best troll Boards has ever seen.

Masquerading as a Villa fan for so long then this.

What next?

Bannan is better than Iniesta??

circadian wrote: »
    I've now come to the conclusion that you are the best troll Boards has ever seen.

Masquerading as a Villa fan for so long then this.

What next?

Bannan is better than Iniesta??

Whoa!!!
    Dont put that on me, I was trying to set up a lynch mob to go to Birmingham to kidnap him when we were in relegation trouble, we just couldnt afford the flaming torches :mad:

Should have timed it with the Olympic torch run in the area :pac:

Should have timed it with the Olympic torch run in the area :pac:
    Wouldnt it have been a bit pessimistic thinking we were relegation fodder in august

Wouldnt it have been a bit pessimistic thinking we were relegation fodder in august

You're not a Villa Talk regular then.

You're not a Villa Talk regular then.
    More I like to ignore the pessimistic and listen more to the optimist

More I like to ignore the pessimistic and listen more to the optimist

Your 'Bendtner' ban didnt last long :pac:

Corholio wrote: »
    Your 'Bendtner' ban didnt last long :pac:
    Im untouchable, SIGN UP UP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Hutton to real mallorca apparently according to spanish media..should be confirmed by tonight..great another wage freed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Hutton....An absolutely woeful player for the money we were paying him. Criminal

rebelomar wrote: »
    Hutton....An absolutely woeful player for the money we were paying him. Criminal
    That can be said about many more still at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rebelomar wrote: »

Don't think he's on mad money that some were or still are.

How reliable is Richard on VillaTalk?

He bumped the Darren Bent thread "in readiness"....

How reliable is Richard on VillaTalk?

He bumped the Darren Bent thread "in readiness"....

Reasonably reliable. Has posted hints about things that have come to fruition in the end. I presume Newcastle might be in for him.

Its weird how things work out. VT nearly went into meltdown when Bent signed, now he'll only be the 2nd most important striker we're gonna lose this summer.

Got nothing against Bent at all, he'll always score goals if the system is right for him. Lambert's just isn't. Would wish him well wherever he goes.

If Ireland sticks around until August he will have trousered £12m in wages from Villa to date (if he's on 78k, as reported on VT) or £9m (if he's on 60k, which has been the more frequently cited figure).

Either way - :mad::mad::mad:

Corholio wrote: »
    Reasonably reliable. Has posted hints about things that have come to fruition in the end. I presume Newcastle might be in for him.

Its weird how things work out. VT nearly went into meltdown when Bent signed, now he'll only be the 2nd most important striker we're gonna lose this summer.

Got nothing against Bent at all, he'll always score goals if the system is right for him. Lambert's just isn't. Would wish him well wherever he goes.

He certainly has handled things very professionally in the last 12 months - losing his starting place and becoming a bit part player, he never once complained or whinged in the media.

That said, he was getting 80k per week for his troubles, which I'm sure sweetened the deal ;).

I too wish him well at his future club though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christian-Benteke-Only-Slightly-Used-/200944113141?

"No time wasters please from Tottenham Hotspur" :pac:

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement