Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Corholio wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christian-Benteke-Only-Slightly-Used-/200944113141?

"No time wasters please from Tottenham Hotspur" :pac:

The worrying thing though, is that thus stuff can push a player away. Considering that Benteke's future is still unclear and that I, and I assume most other Villa fans, want him to stay. Making him feel unwelcomed, a target of fans' anger, might convince him to go. That's not to say I like his actions but if a division between fans and player becomes very obvious, the player will want away.

Why can't we have jokes like that for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Patser wrote: »
    The worrying thing though, is that thus stuff can push a player away. Considering that Benteke's future is still unclear and that I, and I assume most other Villa fans, want him to stay. Making him feel unwelcomed, a target of fans' anger, might convince him to go. That's not to say I like his actions but if a division between fans and player becomes very obvious, the player will want away.

He already wants away. Only reason he hasn't upped and left is that Spurs want him on the cheap. His head's already been turned, once that happens it's very very hard to go back to the way it was.

If a player makes fans angry, the fans have every right to give it back to him. A silly ebay page won't make too much of a dent in his feelings though I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Neil3030 wrote: »

Why always a 3 year deal with PL?

I see it that we now have to bang out a new deal next year as we cant leave him with one year left or we'll lose him for nothing.

Btw delighted he signed. I think he is a smashing player in the making. Thanks to AMcL for giving him a run in tge team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Patser wrote: »

Because Ireland is the joke. City have been trolling us for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It may be a new directive from the club? Has anyone signed a deal longer than 3 years since PL has taken over? Maybe the club has crunched the numbers and are willing to take the risk on a decent player potentially leaving on a free a year earlier, to avoid situations where an unused player takes a year extra pay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Has anyone signed a deal longer than 3 years since PL has taken over?
    benteke

It looks like we've no bother giving new 3 year deals every summer to players who contribute. What's that now, 7 or 8 players signed new deals for higher wages this summer. Money mustnt be as tight as it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It may be a new directive from the club? Has anyone signed a deal longer than 3 years since PL has taken over? Maybe the club has crunched the numbers and are willing to take the risk on a decent player potentially leaving on a free a year earlier, to avoid situations where an unused player takes a year extra pay?

Westwood, just last week.

And Guzan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Signings have very much slowed down.

CSF wrote: »
    Signings have very much slowed down.

Just the 6 so far!

I think after a couple of high earners go we might get a couple more.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Just the 6 so far!

I think after a couple of high earners go we might get a couple more.
    I'm just saying, Lambert could be polite and sign somebody I actually know, even if they're not as good as the players he knows.

But seriously, I would like to see a marquee signing, give the place a real lift before a very difficult start to the season.

COYVB wrote: »
    benteke
    Westwood, just last week.

And Guzan.

Ah right.

Lowton to sign a new contract as well.
    All would be rosy but for Benteke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well Higuains available, get on it Paul :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Says on the BBC gossip this morning that Spurs have made another bid for Roberto Soldado - £20m.

They are hardly going to sign him and Benteke? This could get very interesting!

Well it's official, Benteke is leaving:

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3235852,00.html

They have taken his image out of the new kit graphic.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I am reliably informed that there is about to be some imminent and significant positive breaking news on the Villa front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I am reliably informed that there is about to be some imminent and significant positive breaking news on the Villa front.

You are going to have to ellaborate!!

listermint wrote: »
    You are going to have to ellaborate!!

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be a tease. Actually don't have anything more than that.

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be a tease. Actually don't have anything more than that.

Awe :(

ireland going !? :)

• Advertisement

Awe :(

ireland going !? :)

My guess is its a contract extension for Benteke but I don't know.

My guess is its a contract extension for Benteke but I don't know.

In theory id like that but think it wont end nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Stephen Ireland has just signed a new 4 year deal .....

Ducks behind sofa :)

We're signing Bentdner? Someone tell AstonAidan!!!

It's part of Lambert's plan to confuse opposition defences -

'Someone mark Bente!!!!'

'Did you say Bent, Benteke or Bentdner?'

'Too late!! They've scored"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

From O/S

Aston Villa are delight to confirm that Christian Benteke has withdrawn his transfer request and agreed a contract extension through to 2017 with the Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Delighted that Benteke is staying with villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Bentenke staying is great news Villa and it's great to see. Another player who was probably badly advised by his agent.

Bentenke staying is great news Villa and it's great to see. Another player who was probably badly advised by his agent.

Obviously a gentlemans agreement. One more year and you can go subject to a longer contract which cements Villas asking price come the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He just got a new contract? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Obviously a gentlemans agreement. One more year and you can go subject to a longer contract which cements Villas asking price come the end of the season.

Plus the fact that Benteke is obviously on a lot more money today than he was yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

V1llianous wrote: »
    From O/S

Aston Villa are delight to confirm that Christian Benteke has withdrawn his transfer request and agreed a contract extension through to 2017 with the Club.

That is great news! Would have to think his agent screwed up big time but fair play to him and the club for fixing this situation although like most i'd have to assume he could be off in a years time and as I've suggested here before he probably has a buy out clause in his new contract.

tbh, He has already payed back what Villa spent on him (especially considering the low wages he was on until now) as without him Villa would be a championship club and if he can preform on a similar level this season both he and Villa will reap the benefits before we make our money back even more so.

Now we can offload Bent (who has already been replaced anyway) with less worries about our remaining attacking options and re-invest in other areas of the squad with Darren's wages off the clubs tab.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He just got a new contract? :confused:

which he would have gotten anyway.

Brilliant brilliant news!! And whatever about a gentleman's agreement, that could well depend in Villa's progress next year. If we go from relegation battle to European place chasers with potential he might stay. And his staying now has really boosted our potential - a stable young team with more of last season's deadwood already shed and more young recruits already in and settling. Things are indeed looking rosey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

which he would have gotten anyway.

maybe not as much money though, no real way of knowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

The start is key to this season with a lot of big teams to be played in the first 6 games or so, Benteke is crucial so Villa don't fall to far behind.

The stitution is still sour imo and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Villa can't afford to leave a 20 goal striker a season on the bench or in the reserves, oh wait that's where Bent stayed last season with even Bowery coming on ahead of him.

How much will Bent go for? And how will the players accept Benteke back into the dressing room knowing last week he was trying to engineer a move out of there?

• Advertisement

The start is key to this season with a lot of big teams to be played in the first 6 games or so, Benteke is crucial so Villa don't fall to far behind.

The stitution is still sour imo and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Villa can't afford to leave a 20 goal striker a season on the bench or in the reserves, oh wait that's where Bent stayed last season with even Bowery coming on ahead of him.

How much will Bent go for? And how will the players accept Benteke back into the dressing room knowing last week he was trying to engineer a move out of there?

I agree. Might be glossing over a ****ty situation. But to be fair woth 6 new signings and 7 new contacts everything in the garden looks rosie. Might look great for any potential sigings in the near future.

All in favour of ignoring the reality of however this actually played out and deciding that Benteke is staying because he loves the club too much to consider leaving, say aye.

All in favour of ignoring the reality of however this actually played out and deciding that Benteke is staying because he loves the club too much to consider leaving, say aye.

Couldnt care less, hes young. Some Agent gets in his ear and shows him the pluses of living in a metropolitan capitol with more money. Easy to see where a head turn would come from.

All in all glad lambert talked sense into him. Footballing terms Villa is a good spot for him right now. Future wise that may change. But I cant see this impacting greatly on the dressing room. They are all young and im sure they can see where this came from.

He has reasonable money now for his skill set and can look forward to cohesive first team football and a WC ahead.

Next season is positive so far.

Couldnt care less, hes young. Some Agent gets in his ear and shows him the pluses of living in a metropolitan capitol with more money. Easy to see where a head turn would come from.

All in all glad lambert talked sense into him. Footballing terms Villa is a good spot for him right now. Future wise that may change. But I cant see this impacting greatly on the dressing room. They are all young and im sure they can see where this came from.

He has reasonable money now for his skill set and can look forward to cohesive first team football and a WC ahead.

Next season is positive so far.

I dunno, I hope it was Lambert who convinced him, but I suspect it might have had more to do with Chelsea, Tottenham, Dortmund and Atletico going after other targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

was it his agents fault too when he threatened to down tools in Beligum, sure its all the agents fault

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Who cares how it played out - everyone's happy. Us because we keep a great striker who will get us goals (and will hopefully be worth more next year) and Tekkers because he got a pay rise. Looking forward to next season

was it his agents fault too when he threatened to down tools in Beligum, sure its all the agents fault

Possibly but when an agent brings him to the premier league and then attempts to burn bridges inside the first 12 months... well...

Don't care what happened exactly, the agent and Benteke quickly realised Villa were their best option ATM and we have probably the best striker we could have for at least next season.

I'm sure the figures involved will come out soon.

Don't care what happened exactly, the agent and Benteke quickly realised Villa were their best option ATM and we have probably the best striker we could have for at least next season.

I'm sure the figures involved will come out soon.

Agreed, i dont care.

Roll on next season

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

I dunno, I hope it was Lambert who convinced him, but I suspect it might have had more to do with Chelsea, Tottenham, Dortmund and Atletico going after other targets.

I thinks that's exactly it, he made the request, put himself out there but with Villa's asking price no one made a move. Now he has to get back into the good books, have a decent season and get into the Belgian side for the WC.

If he has another good season and a good WC then he'll be worth the figures that were being quoted as his value. Hard to see anyone forking out 25m for him when you see all the talent that has moved for less this Summer based on one good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Grealish will be playing with the first team tomorrow apparently, be good to see him make an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Wait does mean no Bendtner :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Now that Benteke is staying, what's your starting 11 for next season?

Guzan

--Lowton
    Vlaar
    Clark/Okore
    Luna--

Westwood
    Sylla----Delph

Weimann
    Benteke
    Agbonlahor

I'd say it'll most likely be: