Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Possibly, but Lambert DID tell Helenius he'd be playing off Benteke when he signed, which suggests to me that'll be roughly how we line up to start with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

All 6 of Villa's remaining friendlies are going to be shown live on avtv. It's £4.99 per month.

I've signed up just for one month to see one or two friendlies each of the last few seasons but 6 this season makes it very good value. You just have to remember to cancel before the start of the second month.

First one is away to Wycombe at 3pm today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

damoth wrote: »
    All 6 of Villa's remaining friendlies are going to be shown live on avtv. It's £4.99 per month.

I've signed up just for one month to see one or two friendlies each of the last few seasons but 6 this season makes it very good value. You just have to remember to cancel before the start of the second month.

First one is away to Wycombe at 3pm today.

Fair play for the heads up. Im going to get in on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

COYVB wrote: »
    Possibly, but Lambert DID tell Helenius he'd be playing off Benteke when he signed, which suggests to me that'll be roughly how we line up to start with
    If he is it will be at the expense of one of Agbonlahor and Weimann I imagine. Exciting front 4 to start with nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Currently 1-1 in that friendly btw. Weimann left with a knock, replaced by Burke.

Team: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Bacuna, El Ahmadi, Luna, Westwood, Weimann, Grealish, Carruthers.

Subs: Steer, Donacien, Baker, Johnson, Delph, Webb, Sylla, Bowery, Burke, Herd, Gardner.

2-1 to Wycombe now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

2-2 now. Westwood scored and the whole team has been changed. Now

Steer, Donacien, Herd, Baker, Webb, Gardner, Sylla, Delph, Johnson, Burke, Bowery.

Anyone know anything aobut Donacien or Webb? The official site says Webb is a RB And Donacien a CB but not a huge amount else

CSF wrote: »
    If he is it will be at the expense of one of Agbonlahor and Weimann I imagine. Exciting front 4 to start with nonetheless.

I'd say Gabby and Wiemann's biggest threat will be Tonev. Can't see us playing Helenius out the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd say Gabby and Wiemann's biggest threat will be Tonev. Can't see us playing Helenius out the wing

I'm not sure Gabby can perform anywhere near a full season. Hasn't done so in years. Wiemann can be quite erratic out there too. I think Tonev will get plenty of chances to test both for their places.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree, Gabby only tends to have 3-4 decent months and he's dire the rest of the season. I think the opposition will determine how we line up in midfield and attack. Against the better sides, I'd imagine we'll have Tonev starting because of his threat from long distance, with 3 men across the middle, likely Westwood, Syllla and Delph, to offer a bit more protection. Against the teams we can really get at, I'd think it'd be more attacking, with Helenius playing an advanced role behind Benteke with 2 from Gabby, Tonev and Wiemann on the wings, form dependent, and Westwood and Sylla playing in the middle.

Absolutely no clue what to expect from Bacuna at all, haven't heard too much about him in the reports from pre-season, so I get the feeling we won't see too much of him in starting line-ups for the early part of the season.

I think we're probably done in the transfer market too now, unless we shift most of the big earning deadwood and something crops up for someone who can sit in the middle of Westwood and Sylla/Delph, but create things and chip in with goals. Those players are tough to find though, and the link with the Japanese fella doesn't seem to look like a runner at the moment.

Even without us signing anyone, I think we'd have been 6-10 points better off than last season, but with the strengthening I think we should definitely be looking at 8th as the aim. Sounds incredibly lofty, but a look at the table the last few seasons shows there's really not that much between the teams below 7th.

Don't think Clark has been doing himself too many favours in preseason, he was apparently shocking today, so I'd assume he'll be behind Vlaar, Okore and Baker (in that order) as 4th choice centre back. Still think there could be a role for him as backup for Sylla in the middle if he bulks up a bit. He's a decent footballer, and comfortable on the ball.

A lot will hinge on how quickly Okore adapts. The opening 6 games look very tough, but Arsenal away has a tendency to bring a point for us, there's no way of knowing how Liverpool will be early on, Newcastle, Norwich and Hull should, you'd hope, bring at least 6 points, and City have a new manager and some new signings, but will likely have hit their stride by the time we play them, so that'd be the only one I'd completely write off.

It'll be interesting to see how we line up against Rovers and Malaga, them being the closest games to the start of the season, particularly in defence, because I think the teams will likely be quite close to the eleven at Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I see most seem to have Luna as our starting LB, Ive a feeling that wont be the case at the start of the season and we will see Baker at LB.

Gabby and Weimann are both far too attacking to be the 2 widemen if you're playing Helenius aswell. Both Gabby and Weimann are inside forwards rather than wingers or wide midfielders. I don't know enough about Tonev but I would hope that he fits one of the latter 2 categories so that he can give a bit more balance when Helenius plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

astonaidan wrote: »
    I see most seem to have Luna as our starting LB, Ive a feeling that wont be the case at the start of the season and we will see Baker at LB.

I'd say Baker was a playing it safe option at the end of last season. Can't see him playing there anymore.

JPA wrote: »
    I'd say Baker was a playing it safe option at the end of last season. Can't see him playing there anymore.
    Thats the very reason I think they may go for Baker at the start with a difficult run of games.
    I think as the season goes on Luna will become the main man there but dont be surprised if Baker is there at the start

Thats the very reason I think they may go for Baker at the start with a difficult run of games.
    I think as the season goes on Luna will become the main man there but dont be surprised if Baker is there at the start

Baker ended last season as the starting CB. I don't see him being pushed back to LB without injuries

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    Baker ended last season as the starting CB. I don't see him being pushed back to LB without injuries
    So you think he will be ahead of Okore or Vlaar, I dont see that happening myself and well I think Baker is a handy LB

So you think he will be ahead of Okore or Vlaar, I dont see that happening myself and well I think Baker is a handy LB

Not vlaar but maybe okore. He is still young and has missed most of preseason (so far) through injury plus because of the tough start Lambert might not want to rush him in too early

Baker was a fairly poor LB. His defence was ok but he offers nothing in attack.

Not vlaar but maybe okore. He is still young and has missed most of preseason (so far) through injury plus because of the tough start Lambert might not want to rush him in too early

Id Agree he offers little in attack, but think fairly poor is a bit harsh. You may be right about Okore and maybe Im just trying to find a way for Bennett (Who I actually think will end up a LW) doesnt start LB

In our first 6 games we could do with an ok defender.

Plus he is a big lump of a lad so Arsenal would be in trouble at set pieces with Baker, the other 2 CBs and possibly Benteke. I dont think they have enough to mark all those big guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

I presume all of you are heading to the rovers game in august. going to epic. missed the bohs one a few years back as was on holidays so cant wait for this match. I be flyng back from my hols on the 1st so will defo make it. hope to see all of you in murrays for a few pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Baker really needs to get rid of the brain dead moments and idiotic tackles from his game to be a good defender. I'll be honest if Baker was starting from the off I'd be a bit worried. I do still think we lack a bit of steel in midfield, Delph really needs to continue the high level of performance from end of last year as does Sylla for the midfield to be solid. If they do great of course, but the end of last season isn't comparable to the start of one. Players had to give everything and fight to make sure we stayed in the league pushing themselves almost past their limits, and most did. However the start of a new season is different

I am enthused that there's a fair few new signings in the squad, hopefully they all turn out to be shrewd signings. I'm especially hoping Okore turns out to be a gem, because as I've said here before I don't rate our defence that highly, all across it.

Not a chance Baker will start at left back. He's a CB through and through. If anything it'll be Bennett starting ahead of Luna for the first few games

- Most/All business conducted before pre-season

- Contract extensions to Guzan, Westwood, (Weimann?), Benteke and Lowton

- Benteke situation handled very well

I dare say if we ship a few high earners this will have been a bloody brilliant summer for off-field activity. If we can jettison Ireland in particular I'll be over the moon.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    - Most/All business conducted before pre-season

- Contract extensions to Guzan, Westwood, (Weimann?), Benteke and Lowton

- Benteke situation handled very well

I dare say if we ship a few high earners this will have been a bloody brilliant summer for off-field activity. If we can jettison Ireland in particular I'll be over the moon.
    Benteke is like a marquee signing in itself. Assume Villa will still be going after an attacking midfielder though, can't imagine the Benteke signing has plugged the squad gap that Villa were trying to fill via Belhanda (apparently) and Kiyotake (definitely?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Benteke is like a marquee signing in itself. Assume Villa will still be going after an attacking midfielder though, can't imagine the Benteke signing has plugged the squad gap that Villa were trying to fill via Belhanda (apparently) and Kiyotake (definitely?)

Yeah id def like to see another midfielder of this ilk to be brought in and it could be what propels us up the table as everyone else is strengthening just as much as Villa atm and our wage bill has already been slashed so maybe we could re-invest what we get back from Bents departure in such a player.

Yeah id def like to see another midfielder of this ilk to be brought in and it could be what propels us up the table as everyone else is strengthening just as much as Villa atm and our wage bill has already been slashed so maybe we could re-invest what we get back from Bents departure in such a player.

Is Bacuna not that player? He played behind the striker yesterday.

Assuming the new signings are on par with what we did last season id say we are reasonably stocked. Of course none of us have seen these new signings except in flashes so its hard to judge.

LeBash wrote: »
    The Kiyotake bid was after the Bacuna signing so I guess not.

LeBash wrote: »

Assuming the new signings are on par with what we did last season id say we are reasonably stocked. Of course none of us have seen these new signings except in flashes so its hard to judge.

I think Bacuna may be that player and would love if he turns out like Benteke who if most are honest they would admit to not knowing too much of him before he signed. Obviously though i'd love if Villa signed a more established midfielder though not neccesarily an AM although those have been the ones ive seen linked (be there truth in those links or not who knows) and we dont have much but the new Bacuna in that regard as I have stopped considering S.Ireland altogether.

If we are not to sell anyone else I wouldnt expect any more signings tbh (although if the club see a great opportunity you never know) but I do think our wage bill should be back in a good way now and when Bent goes there could be money available to re-invest in the squad. It'd be great if we could move on Ireland too as then id def be expecting an addition there. Sylla, Westwood, Delph and Bacuna all have the potential to do very well at Villa but itd be good to have another name to add to that list for instance Leroy Fer who Norwich have signed would have been a move I'd have liked for Villa

Our wages will have actually gone up a fair bit, even if we shift the high earners, I'd have thought. 6 new signings and 7 existing players on new deals will have added a hefty chunk. That's a good sign though

• Advertisement

Couple of little tweaks should really see us make huge gains. Last season, Villa led in 8 games which went on to be draws, and 4 games which went on to be losses. That's 28 points thrown away from winning positions (we'd have finished 6th :pac:). So many of those goals were conceded from set pieces that even getting a bit more organised in this area should be worth 5-10 points next season, all things remaining equal.

To be fair to Randy he has backed PL and while we as fans would like to see the savings in wages invested in new players, lets not be upset if the savings are used to pay some of the massive debt.

Any news on Bent? Was reading on ssn that Newcastle are going to make 2 bids for 2 strikers in france. If its true i doubt they will want him.

I'd say it'll most likely be:

Guzan

--Lowton
    Vlaar
    Baker/Okore
    Luna--

Westwood
    Sylla

Weimann
    Helenius
    Agbonlahor

Benteke

Although I dont think we will be this attacking normally looking at this made me think of one thing. Especially when you add Tonev into the mix I dont think we will be seing much of Albrighton and think he may have to move if he is ever going to push up a level. Injuries came at bad times for him but its been a long time since he made his first breakthrough at Villa when he was looking like a potential star for the future.

On the thing about us not being that attacking, if we were to sign Kiyotake we'd be every bit as attacking as that lineup there, albeit with him instead of Helenius. IF we are after a number 10, it'll definitely be a lineup as attacking as that one

On the thing about us not being that attacking, if we were to sign Kiyotake we'd be every bit as attacking as that lineup there, albeit with him instead of Helenius. IF we are after a number 10, it'll definitely be a lineup as attacking as that one

thats true but id see Helenius (have to admit though ive not seen much of him) as more of a CF while the players we were linked to are more the creative no.10 (like im thinking Bacuna could be) types while the goal threat would be more likely to come from a front 3 consisting of Helinius, Tonev, Gabby, Weimann & Benteke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

He just got a new contract? :confused:

Handing in a transfer request all on the advise of his agent IMO.

Handing in a transfer request all on the advise of his agent IMO.

It may all have been to get him a bigger contract than the one on the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Shipping out Bent, Ireland and Given would save us £200k a week I'd imagine.

I'd like to see a couple of players with EPL experience come in should we shift that lot.

I think we are pretty much waiting on Bent to make the move to Fuham/Newcastle before we see any incomings tbh.
    Id have loved for it to be Belhamada but a player of that talent would make up for it

• Advertisement

I honestly think it would push Gabby onto the bench. It is one thing to play 3 behind Benteke, it is another thing to play 3 players who are very much at home playing as a striker, behind Benteke.

If you dropped Gabby for someone like Kiyotake though, it'd mean either playing Kiyotake on the wing or changing the system. I'm not sure we'd go with either. It'll be interesting to see how he plays with the formations, hopefully works out a bit better than the experiments at the start of last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Esse85 wrote: »
    Shipping out Bent, Ireland and Given would save us £200k a week I'd imagine.

I'd like to see a couple of players with EPL experience come in should we shift that lot.

Why?

Reo-Coker had EPL experience... So did Ireland, Beye, Sidwell (I can name a dozen more)

Players who had no EPL experience - Benteke, Lowton, Westwood, Sylla

If you dropped Gabby for someone like Kiyotake though, it'd mean either playing Kiyotake on the wing or changing the system. I'm not sure we'd go with either. It'll be interesting to see how he plays with the formations, hopefully works out a bit better than the experiments at the start of last season
    No I'd imagine you'd see Kiyotake playing behind Benteke with Tonev wide.

No I'd imagine you'd see Kiyotake playing behind Benteke with Tonev wide.

Which would mean gabby being dropped though, as well as one of the CMs, so rather than this:

Benteke
    Gabby
    Weimann
    ---Sylla---Westwood---Delph---

You'd need to have:

Benteke
    Tonev
    Kiyotake
    Weimann
    Westwood---Sylla

Or change the system to something else

Which would be too attacking according to some

Is the Kiyotake link even a runner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Feidhlim wrote: »
    Why?

Reo-Coker had EPL experience... So did Ireland, Beye, Sidwell (I can name a dozen more)

Players who had no EPL experience - Benteke, Lowton, Westwood, Sylla
    We need a few lads that have EPL experience to help improve the squad further.

Strongly doubt it tbh

Don't think so. But I think there will be a player of that mould.

Which would mean gabby being dropped though, as well as one of the CMs, so rather than this:

Benteke
    Gabby
    Weimann
    ---Sylla---Westwood---Delph---

You'd need to have:

Benteke
    Tonev
    Kiyotake
    Weimann
    Westwood---Sylla

Or change the system to something else

Which would be too attacking according to some
    Yeah I wouldn't be expecting the 3 midfielders to play aswell as having someone behind Benteke.

Yeah I wouldn't be expecting the 3 midfielders to play aswell as having someone behind Benteke.

I think that's the crux of the issue, with just 2 mids we'd be very easy to take apart I'd think. Maybe Bacuna will be the guy who can sit slightly ahead of Sylla and Westwood and link things up, but still hold when he needs to

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement