Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Esse85 wrote: »
    We need a few lads that have EPL experience to help improve the squad further.

No, no we don't

We need quality players to improve the squad further

Lets be clear, Heskey has EPL experience. Should we sign him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Esse85 wrote: »
    Shipping out Bent, Ireland and Given would save us £200k a week I'd imagine.

I'd like to see a couple of players with EPL experience come in should we shift that lot.
    We'll probably still be paying 75% of Ireland's and given's wages even if we do ship them out. Bent is probably the only higher earner we can get off the books before their contract runs out. Not sure I can think of another club where so much money has been wasted on wages for average/poor players.

Given, Beye, Ireland, N'Zogbia, Heskey, Hutton, Warnock... the list is seemingly endless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We'll probably still be paying 75% of Ireland's and given's wages even if we do ship them out. Bent is probably the only higher earner we can get off the books before their contract runs out. Not sure I can think of another club where so much money has been wasted on wages for average/poor players.

That would indicate they were average or poor before they got there, which is not the case for anyone you mentioned in your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well now in fairness, Hutton, Heskey and Beye were all ****e before joining Villa. Ireland had talent, but his risky temperament was well documented. N'Zogbia would be a slightly more reliable Ireland. Warnock, imo was the biggest let down in terms of what he was and what he became. Given was always solid until his age caught up with him.

Did you just edit your post because i made a mockery of it ?

Yes you did, you little ragamuffin you

You never had any of those players when i replied.

so and so.

listermint wrote: »
    That would indicate they were average or poor before they got there, which is not the case for anyone you mentioned in your post.
    I disagree with this entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Wee Barry is off to Blackburn apparently

COYVB wrote: »
    Wee Barry is off to Blackburn apparently

source? fee?

I disagree with this entirely.

The original poster modified their post after that comment and added an ape load of players. So you sir would be.... thats right... wrong.

Oh wait your the ragamuffin you little raggamuffin.

The original poster modified their post after that comment and added an ape load of players. So you sir would be.... thats right... wrong.

Oh wait your the ragamuffin you little raggamuffin.

Lets put this one to bed.

You're both wrong. Now hug.

• Advertisement

Feidhlim wrote: »
    Lets put this one to bed.

You're both wrong. Now hug.

So Given Ireland and Bent were average poor players when we bought them ?

Ehh. no.

And the rest well he added them afterwards to back up his original silly statement.

So Given Ireland and Bent were average poor players when we bought them ?

Ehh. no.

And the rest well he added them afterwards to back up his original silly statement.

Have to be honest, I didn't bother reading either of your posts.

Have to be honest, I didn't bother reading either of your posts.

Knew that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Apparently Villa are on the verge of signing Bendtner.

I presume that was enough to break up the fight :P

source? fee?

Blackburn linked late last night, HairyHands on VT (about as ITK as it gets - he's been bang on the money since he appeared right after Lambert took over, and broke the new Benteke contract way before anywhere else) said he expects the player to have left the club today or tomorrow. He's pretty much never wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Happy enough to see him move on, he showed plenty of promise, but he's barely a premiership quality player IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Not too bothered about Bannan, he would of been on modest wages.

Hope he does well at Blackburn and wish him well.

Is that the end of incoming players? Provided we got rid of some of the above big earners, can we expect to see any more signings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Corholio wrote: »
    Apparently Villa are on the verge of signing Bendtner.

I presume that was enough to break up the fight :P

I thought finally I was getting someone I liked :(

Hutton and Bannan won't exactly be missed but there's higher earning fish to fry. I've a feeling Ireland will stay and Bent will move towards the end of August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ireland would break your heart. The country and the player

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Hutton and Bannan won't exactly be missed but there's higher earning fish to fry. I've a feeling Ireland will stay and Bent will move towards the end of August.

£70k a week between them apparently - that'd cover 3-4 new players these days

£70k a week between them apparently - that'd cover 3-4 new players these days

70k p/w between Hutton and Bannan?

I'm surprised.

I would of taught no more than £50k between them.

£45k hutton, £25k bannan

Bannan got his last contract at the height of our idiocy

Did the deal for Given to Doncaster fall through? It was reported as a done deal about 2 weeks ago, but no sign of it being officially confirmed...

Gas to think Given, Dunne, Hutton and Bannan being cleared from the books would reduce the wage bill by nearly 10m a year!

• Advertisement

Did the deal for Given to Doncaster fall through? It was reported as a done deal about 2 weeks ago, but no sign of it being officially confirmed...

Gas to think Given, Dunne, Hutton and Bannan being cleared from the books would reduce the wage bill by nearly 10m a year!
    Giving Big Martin any control over money was crazy

Think they're still waiting on the Irish lads to complete their takeover before anything happens on that front. Wouldn't take it as a given at all (pardon the pun)

Even if he does go, I'm sure we'll be paying ~80% of his wages

astonaidan wrote: »
    Giving Big Martin any control over money was crazy

Only one of those was actually his signing

Only one of those was actually his signing
    I was referencing the fact he started giving silly wages to average players, the wages continued at the level he started giving out at first till Paul took over. Saying that Alex didnt really pay out huge wages either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

The Chelsea game will now be Wednesday Aug 21st.

That gives us Arsenal (away), Chelsea (away) and Liverpool in the first 7 days of the season! Yikes.

Pretty sure we'll be bottom by then, but at least we are getting a few easy games out of the way while the new boys bed in.

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    I was referencing the fact he started giving silly wages to average players, the wages continued at the level he started giving out at first till Paul took over. Saying that Alex didnt really pay out huge wages either

McLeish signed Given (55k), Hutton (45k) and Nzogbia (55k)... he was as bad as MON I think

But yeah, it was something endemic within the club rather than managers for a period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

McLeish signed Given (55k), Hutton (45k) and Nzogbia (55k)... he was as bad as MON I think

But yeah, it was something endemic within the club rather than managers for a period

Good call on that. I forgot it was eck that signed hutton.

Every football agent must have shot their load if villa were interested in one of their players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

We are being linked with some lad from lyon called gomis. Us newcastle and swans on ssn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LeBash wrote: »
    We are being linked with some lad from lyon called gomis. Us newcastle and swans on ssn.

He's not some lad, he's a french international.
    But I reckon if there was ever truth in it, its changed with Benteke starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Definitely not needed now but probably was some truth in it while Benteke's future was uncertain.

If nobody else is in for James McCarthy come the end August a move should be made as he would not be looking for excessive wages.

I had forgotten Hutton was signed by Big Eck :o, I think Nzogbia would have got that anywhere he went tbf after the two seasons he had with Wigan before coming to Villa to not pass the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Definitely not needed now but probably was some truth in it while Benteke's future was uncertain.

If nobody else is in for James McCarthy come the end August a move should be made as he would not be looking for excessive wages.

Defo

Good call, I'm surprised he hasn't been strongly linked with anyone yet. If Fellaini leaves I could see Martinez signing him.

Fits the Villa mould no doubt if fee was reasonable.
    However, very similar player to Westwood.

Marco Capuano on the way?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

good auld Lambert, honestly never heard of him and yet I dont think that means he proabably isn't any good (which is the trademark of a PL signing). Italian U-21 center back too so Okore & Vlaar will have competition for sure this season if hes signed (along with back ups Clark & Baker) which could be very important with Okore needing to get bedded in as they say

I think that link was made up by someone on VT. No substance to it AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Small item in the Metro paper saying Hull, Palace and a few European teams interested in N'Zogbia. More wages saved if it happens but not exactly solid speculation.

No. A Twitter rumour that someone saw a group of men in suits with the Villa crests in Pescara, and a tweet by the player saying "English Dream", is all this rumour is based on. Goddamit man, will you show some restraint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ireland being linked to Doncaster is just nuts. Surely he's far too good to be playing in the Championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Ireland being linked to Doncaster is just nuts. Surely he's far too good to be playing in the Championship?

He has the skill to be a PL player but just hasn't shown it enough. When he's played for us he's often been ok but very rarely been good.

There'll be a lot of empty links between Doncaster Rovers and Irish players given this consortium's investment deal, I'd say.

You can only say he's good enough when he actually shows it.

From VT

I have no idea if the tweets or account is real. They have apparently since been deleted.

1.rich smith ‏@rsmiffy20091h
    @MarcoCapuano14 you coming to villa?

2.Marco Capuano ‏@MarcoCapuano141h
    @rsmiffy2009 yet nothing concrete but I'd love to! the dream is related to that!

• Advertisement

Bannan gone! £800k-1m

Woo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement