Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Said on VT earlier, I reckon Ireland will retire when his contract is up. He doesn't really seem to like being a footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wouldn't surprise me. Though I also wouldn't rule out one last hoorah in either America or Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me. Though I also wouldn't rule out one last hoorah in either America or Australia.

Bent having a medical @ Fulham according to SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bent having a medical @ Fulham according to SSN

Nice one. Hopefully it's a permanent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Any update on Hutton being moved on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Nice one. Hopefully it's a permanent deal.

Still a loan deal. £2 million fee plus paying most or all of his wages.

Villa playing Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool first 3 games.
    I find it hard to believe that's the way the balls came out of the bag, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

JPA wrote: »
    Villa playing Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool first 3 games.
    I find it hard to believe that's the way the balls came out of the bag, do you?

No...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Surprised the Chelski game isn't televised....and I reckon we could get a result at the Emirates and against Liverpool as well....blind optimism I know but can't help myself, plus the bookies giving us no chance against Arsenal either 15/2 and 8/1 for Benteke first goal scorer....yeah I know they usually aren't far wrong but still could be worth a couple quid make watching it interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

thats not all bad, it means if you lads are in trouble (which I doubt you will be) come the last month of the season you won't have to face those 3 sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

If Benteke tanks into Arsenals defence like he did against Malaga then we might get something from it. After last seasons Ups and downs there's the potential we're being underestimated. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Surprised the Chelski game isn't televised....and I reckon we could get a result at the Emirates and against Liverpool as well....blind optimism I know but can't help myself, plus the bookies giving us no chance against Arsenal either 15/2 and 8/1 for Benteke first goal scorer....yeah I know they usually aren't far wrong but still could be worth a couple quid make watching it interesting....

A bet on both teams scoring is probably the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

It's really dissapointing Bent is only going on loan...I hope we are not paying any of his wages.

Wanted to see us get the 5m fee and savings in wages and reinvest it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Feidhlim wrote: »
    A bet on both teams scoring is probably the way to go

Was thinking that too, their defence is very light minus Vermaleen, they will have Sagna dropping into the centre, and can't see anyone handling Benteke IF he has a good day at the office...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Is Benteke able to play against Arsenal, no suspension carry over from the red card vs Chelsea in 2nd last game last season?

Patser wrote: »
    Is Benteke able to play against Arsenal, no suspension carry over from the red card vs Chelsea in 2nd last game last season?

2 yellows so missed only Wigan game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Was thinking that too, their defence is very light minus Vermaleen, they will have Sagna dropping into the centre, and can't see anyone handling Benteke IF he has a good day at the office...

Their first choice CBs will be Mertesacker and Koscielny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Their first choice CBs will be Mertesacker and Koscielny.

Sagna is a doubt, Monreal and Vermaelen are out. However they still have a decent back four all playing in their ideal positions but vs Villa they arent too likely to have any defensive cover on the bench.

it'l be:

Jenkinson....Koscielny...Mertesecker...Gibbs

Still think if Benteke is on form he could have some luck against them but unless they picked up an injury during the game I honestly think their back four are pretty good. It could help though that it also looks like Arteta will miss out and he usually plays the DM role for them even though its not atraditional tough tackling DM they employ

So the Bent deal is being reported as £2m loan fee, 100% wages paid by Fulham, and £3m buy option next summer. That's not bad to be honest. We essentially make £5.3m with the loan fee and offloading the wages this year alone, he's got another year on his contract too, so if they buy him for £3m next summer, that'll essentially be another £6.3m - or £11.6m in total through savings/fees

Pretty good work from Faulkner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

COYVB wrote: »
    So the Bent deal is being reported as £2m loan fee, 100% wages paid by Fulham, and £3m buy option next summer. That's not bad to be honest. We essentially make £5.3m with the loan fee and offloading the wages this year alone, he's got another year on his contract too, so if they buy him for £3m next summer, that'll essentially be another £6.3m - or £11.6m in total through savings/fees

Pretty good work from Faulkner

That's grand enough, as long as he earns himself a transfer next summer.

CSF wrote: »
    That's grand enough, as long as he earns himself a transfer next summer.

Im sure he will, but if he doesn't at least Ireland is out of contract at that stage so itll at least balance out

enough players here to warrant a villa superthread ff league?

enough players here to warrant a villa superthread ff league?

I have a team, so if you set one up I'll join.

I've spotted a few other regulars from this thread over in the FSA, so there should be enough I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Im sure he will, but if he doesn't at least Ireland is out of contract at that stage so itll at least balance out

Is he just going to see himself out of that contract then? what a waste/waster

I remember being at Sunderland v Villa last November and I thought Ireland had a great game, box to box the whole game, thought he would kick on from there, but obviously not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Same here, I've a team and would enter and we had one in previous years so i'd assume there are enough of us. Think we ended up with around 20 last year. If all of them were active or not after several weeks or not is another thing, think I got till around Febuary before being in China lead to me missing a couple of weeks and dropping off / losing interest. H2H league could be good craic for that reason, atleast it would always be interesting to see if we could beat certain other posters teams

• Advertisement

Villa Superthread Super League Now Up and Running
    51813-415491

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

I'd say if we even got 10 in it'd be worthwhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Villa jersey for the winner and everyone else has to chip in for it?

If we got 20 people would only be about €4 each

Synode wrote: »
    Villa jersey for the winner and everyone else has to chip in for it?

If we got 20 people would only be about €4 each

yeah that sounds good actually, i'm down for that

there could be another option actually, maybe we just have 50 quid for the villa online store to the winner, the rest all pitching in in equal amounts. that'd mean the winner can get both of this season's jerseys at the end of the season, or the following year's one when it's released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Just joined it there. 5 now :-)

Mertsacker and konsienly will be in the centre for arsenal

• Advertisement

If we do decide on a prize, do we collect an entry fee before the season starts (or, more realistically, before the end of August) and someone holds onto it, or do we trust each other that if you're playing in the league you're willing to chuck in for the winner at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I must say, it's nice to step out of the Arsenal forum and pop in here to see a bit of humble optimism from everyone.

I'm looking forward to the opening game between our two teams and I'm just delighted that we have an opening day fixture against a respectable and interesting team, rather than coping with the drabness of Sunderland or Stoke.

Personally, I'm very worried about Benteke but I think Villa should be very worried about Giroud too. Had great purple patches last season and, like Benteke, has been scoring for fun in the pre-season.

I'm hoping that some of the Villa players' inexperience will work against them but unlike some Arsenal fans, I don't think it will be a push-over.

A great curtain-raiser.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I must say, it's nice to step out of the Arsenal forum and pop in here to see a bit of humble optimism from everyone.

I'm looking forward to the opening game between our two teams and I'm just delighted that we have an opening day fixture against a respectable and interesting team, rather than coping with the drabness of Sunderland or Stoke.

Personally, I'm very worried about Benteke but I think Villa should be very worried about Giroud too. Had great purple patches last season and, like Benteke, has been scoring for fun in the pre-season.

I'm hoping that some of the Villa players' inexperience will work against them but unlike some Arsenal fans, I don't think it will be a push-over.

A great curtain-raiser.

biggest danger for arsenal (benteke aside) will be the fans turning on wenger if it's not going well early on. we've seen them start badly before and the crowd get on his case, so an early goal would be ideal. if they can score in the first 25 minutes it'll be game over. the longer it goes on though, i think the more likely the balance to swing in villa's favour

If we do decide on a prize, do we collect an entry fee before the season starts (or, more realistically, before the end of August) and someone holds onto it, or do we trust each other that if you're playing in the league you're willing to chuck in for the winner at the end?

Will I start another league and if people are up for the voucher idea join it. I'm happy to trust everyone will pay up at the end of the season for the prize. We could only go ahead with it if we get more than 10 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

biggest danger for arsenal (benteke aside) will be the fans turning on wenger if it's not going well early on. we've seen them start badly before and the crowd get on his case, so an early goal would be ideal. if they can score in the first 25 minutes it'll be game over. the longer it goes on though, i think the more likely the balance to swing in villa's favour

Makes a lot of sense.

Arsenal are very capable of getting that early goal, but just as capable of conceding it. This is aided by the fact that Arteta is injured. Players like Westwood or Bannan could very well pierce the Arsenal defence on occasions.

Actually, on the topic of Bannan; what's the story with him? I have seem him play the most wonderful of passes at times; almost whenever I've watched him play (not often), though there must be something big wrong with him if that isn't enough to play all the time?

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Makes a lot of sense.

Arsenal are very capable of getting that early goal, but just as capable of conceding it. This is aided by the fact that Arteta is injured. Players like Westwood or Bannan could very well pierce the Arsenal defence on occasions.

Actually, on the topic of Bannan; what's the story with him? I have seem him play the most wonderful of passes at times; almost whenever I've watched him play (not often), though there must be something big wrong with him if that isn't enough to play all the time?

Bannan is no longer a Villa player in all but formalities; he's been pushed into the "bomb squad" with Given, Hutton, Ireland etc., who train on their own away from the rest and don't even play in the reserve team

Synode wrote: »
    Will I start another league and if people are up for the voucher idea join it. I'm happy to trust everyone will pay up at the end of the season for the prize. We could only go ahead with it if we get more than 10 people?

we could probably go ahead with the current league, but have everyone say whether or not they want to pay. if 10 people pay, and 20 people are in the league, the highest placed of the 10 who paid wins. save having multiple splits -though for an at-a-glance look at the table, it might save a bit of work

People will have to say on here then if they're in or not. I am.

Team: The Villain

I'm in too

Team: Better On Paper

Can we pay before hand like last year in the boards paid league. I think it was a villain mirwillbebacknthat organised that. We done it through paypal.

• Advertisement

Perth06 team name

I don't mind either way. Does anyone want to organise it?

we could probably go ahead with the current league, but have everyone say whether or not they want to pay. if 10 people pay, and 20 people are in the league, the highest placed of the 10 who paid wins. save having multiple splits -though for an at-a-glance look at the table, it might save a bit of work

That sounds good. I don't want to get into paying to be honest, would rather just do it for the craic. But at the same time I don't want to be a damp squid on those who do want to chip in some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Even though i'm a lurker on here I joined as well, team is called ulaanbaatar,

I've a naive hope this year (very like I did last year), What are people's opinions of Helenius in the friendly's, anyone know what type of player he is, even though he's tall i've heard he isn't going to be a benteke type battering ram.

He's definitely not that kinda player. He's also not great in the air, despite scoring a few headers. He'll be an interesting one to watch - looks to have bags of potential, but needs to put on a couple of stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I joined also.
    Team Name--- Dev's Degenerates

I don't mind paying 4 euro..Top 3 get prizes..pay by paypal? Whoever set up the league should organise it :D

I'm not looking after any financial stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm in.

Team name - St Pat's Unathletic.

And I'll go with the flow pay wise. Would probably prefer to play just for the Craig but wouldn't object to paying €5ish. So I'll go with majority preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I am in team name Yes Yes Yes.
    More than happy to put my hand in my pocket.

• Advertisement

I think a separate league is the easiest. Here's the code 364949-423877

If we get at least 10 we'll run it for a €50 voucher for the Villa shop to the winner, if not we can do it just for the glory. I'll close it at 12pm on Saturday and we can work out how much each person is in for (max €5).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement