Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm really hoping ye play Clark on Wednesday night.

On the Mata thing, its hard to say, we should make some changes to the team although I wouldnt expect them to be wide spread changes.

If Mata is in any doubt and we should know by tomorrow, then he'll be kept for the Utd away and Bayern games following our game Wednesday.

What I reckon will line out against Villa

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Cole
    Essien Ramires
    De Bruyne Oscar Schurrle
    Lukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm really hoping ye play Clark on Wednesday night.

On the Mata thing, its hard to say, we should make some changes to the team although I wouldnt expect them to be wide spread changes.

If Mata is in any doubt and we should know by tomorrow, then he'll be kept for the Utd away and Bayern games following our game Wednesday.

What I reckon will line out against Villa

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Cole
    Essien Ramires
    De Bruyne Oscar Schurrle
    Lukaku

Gotta start Hazard again?!! for the sake of FPL at the very least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Feidhlim wrote: »
    Kendrick just confirmed Baker will probably miss Wednesday and Saturday games

Looks like Clark is preferred to Okore right now :confused:

Okore is well off match fitness while Clark was fantastic on Saturday

slingerz wrote: »
    Gotta start Hazard again?!! for the sake of FPL at the very least!

I had him , Luiz and Lukaku, made f**k all points on them really.

I'm not sure will he start him, Jose could name an unchanged team and if the match is over with 15, 20 to go he could change it up then.

We've an abudance of riches from CM up but our back line is where we might be left down if Luiz doesnt recover in time, we're basically playing 3 of our CB's at any one time if Ivan starts at RB Wednesday night which given Bentekes strengths he probably will as Azpilicueta is nowhere near as physical as Ivan.

What are the chances of terry and Cahill starting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

COYVB wrote: »
    Okore is well off match fitness while Clark was fantastic on Saturday

He was very solid on sat alright. His distribution of the ball was awful though. He needs to keep it simple on the ball and he'll be much better off for it.

Sometimes he just hoofed it and he needs to be braver on the ball and forget about those errors playing the ball out last season. It's understandable he wants to play it safe but as I said he needs to be brave here.

What are the chances of terry and Cahill starting?

At the moment its 100% going to be them unless Luiz can turn around a calf problem (I think) in the next 48hours.

Which leaves me very worried, I think Benteke turned Cahill far to easily at Vill Park last year for the opening goal if memory serves my right, without Luizs pace we could be undone by Benteke again as I dont think Cahill is up to it and JT has been slow for about 5 years at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fonze07

Anybody here a season ticket holder? Do they know if tickets are still available for the Chelsea game if you are a season ticket holder or are they all gone?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    At the moment its 100% going to be them unless Luiz can turn around a calf problem (I think) in the next 48hours.

Which leaves me very worried, I think Benteke turned Cahill far to easily at Vill Park last year for the opening goal if memory serves my right, without Luizs pace we could be undone by Benteke again as I dont think Cahill is up to it and JT has been slow for about 5 years at this stage.

Yeah Cahill and Terry is a worst case scenario for Chelsea, best case scenario for Villa. If that's the starting pairing in the middle, I'd fancy us to score at least one anyway, maybe a couple of Benteke shows up and one of Gabby/Wiemann plays well. Not fully sure 2 goals would even get us a point though TBH

Fonze07 wrote: »
    Anybody here a season ticket holder? Do they know if tickets are still available for the Chelsea game if you are a season ticket holder or are they all gone?

Wouldn't imagine we'll sell out our tickets given that Chelsea want £50 a pop and it's midweek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Feidhlim wrote: »
    Was Mata not on the bench against Hull? Which would suggest he starts against us?

In any case, the team we play on Wednesday will be stronger than Arsenal were...

Yeah but I posted that before the teams were announced for the game against Hull and didn't know Mata wasn't 100%, hopefully he still isn't for the Villa game and they save him for Utd while also resting Hazard for it (even though he is in my FF team, I've still got my priorities).

I'd be happy enough if the team Gav has put forward is the one that starts against Villa but having said that they do still have the quality to comfortably win if on form. Having said that if they are not everyone knows this villa team has goals in it and the CB partnership of Terry/Cahill could struggle to cope with Benteke, Gabby & Weimann whose pace could cause them untold problems especially on the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I think every team is going to concede goals to us this year when Benteke, Gabby and Weimann are playing

Wouldn't imagine we'll sell out our tickets given that Chelsea want £50 a pop and it's midweek

Thats very saucy alright for a trip down to London on a Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Have all the links dried up?

Reckon we'll get anyone else in?

Wouldn't mind getting another centre or attacking mid

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Have all the links dried up?

Reckon we'll get anyone else in?

Wouldn't mind getting another centre or attacking mid

I reckon there'll be another one in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No chat in here about todays game ............ ?

listermint wrote: »
    No chat in here about todays game ............ ?

Is it on TV anywhere?

I'd assume we will line up exactly like we did vs Arsenal except Baker to be most likely replaced by Clark again.

Can't say im confident about the result but this Villa side are always a goal threat and especially so if it is Cahill/Terry starting against our pacy counter attacking forwards as suggested during the week.

Is it on TV anywhere?

I'd assume we will line up exactly like we did vs Arsenal except Baker to be most likely replaced by Clark again.

Can't say im confident about the result but this Villa side are always a goal threat and especially so if it is Cahill/Terry starting against our pacy counter attacking forwards as suggested during the week.

No on Sky BT or Setanta no.

listermint wrote: »
    No on Sky BT or Setanta no.

hopefully an online source can be found but that ain't promising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

hopefully an online source can be found but that ain't promising

*Completly legal streaming service that I use* say they are showing it so there should be other streams too

matrim wrote: »
    Starstreams say they are showing it so there should be other streams too

not that your linking to it but as I can't currently remember my role as a mod on this issue ill just say that I assume that is a totally legal service. I am also assuming everything linked from the one I often use is also and it currently has this on it:
    Sorry, streams will only appear 1 hour before the start of the match.
    There are 33 stations announced to broadcast this match.

so should def be a way to watch this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

It's on NBC in the US so I'm guessing streams will pop up in the usual places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

CHELSEA v Villa team news - Chelsea make two changes from their victory over Hull City at the weekend. Demba Ba and Juan Mata are in for Fernando Tores and Kevin De Bruyne.

Line-up: Cech, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole, Ramires, Lampard, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Ba. Subs: Schwarzer, Azpilicueta, Mikel, Van Ginkel, De Bruyne, Schurrle, Lukaku.

Hopefully the lads can get some sort a result tonight but it will be very very hard...At most hope for a bad Chelsea performance and a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Thankfully Ba starts, as maligned as Torres is he is a better link player than Ba while I wouldn't be confident of Clark coping with Lukaku either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

not that your linking to it but as I can't currently remember my role as a mod on this issue ill just say that I assume that is a totally legal service. I am also assuming everything linked from the one I often use is also and it currently has this on it:

so should def be a way to watch this one

Sorry forgot about the not naming them :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Good to see Gabby remembers the offside rule

Top of the league again :) currently..... ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

That a boy benteke all is forgiven

I assume N'Zogbia is injured, yes? I dont want to see him tbh and would like if he was sold and we signed another midfielder jut I dont remember hearing the guys name for over a month now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I assume N'Zogbia is injured, yes? I dont want to see him tbh and would like if he was sold and we signed another midfielder jut I dont remember hearing the guys name for over a month now

He was in the travelling squad for tonight so he is not in with the likes of Hutton and Ireland anyway. He is definitely down the pecking order now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He was in the travelling squad for tonight so he is not in with the likes of Hutton and Ireland anyway. He is definitely down the pecking order now anyway.

Was he? Thought he was ****ed with an Achilles injury?

The lads can take a lot away from that game. Played very well, should have had a penalty etc, was Ivanovic offside, should he still have been on the pitch... not to be tonight anyway but the players can be proud of their effort and Liverpool wont be looking forward to facing them on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Decent performance, as long as we can put a few of the lesser teams to the sword playing like that we'll be ok.

Support was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

If we play like that we will beat Liverpool. Hopefully 3 games in quick sucession wont suck the energy out of them this early in the season

Definitely conceded the proverbial rub of the green tonight, but in hindsight 3 points from those two fixtures is a great return. Heck, I would have taken 3 points from the opening three games, if you'd offered me before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

LeBash wrote: »
    If we play like that we will beat Liverpool. Hopefully 3 games in quick sucession wont suck the energy out of them this early in the season

There's a break for internationals coming up, so chance to rest then (at least for some of the players!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

highlights on SS1 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Gutted with the result as I feel we deserved a Point at least. The lads really put the work in and were robbed in the end. Ref had a howler.

Despite all that I'm excited for the season ahead. We're a different team to last season. I agree that Liverpool and all teams for that matter won't look forward to playing us if we keep up that form

Lambert knows what he's doing and boy did he do well convincing Benteke to stay :D Onwards and Upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Definitely conceded the proverbial rub of the green tonight, but in hindsight 3 points from those two fixtures is a great return. Heck, I would have taken 3 points from the opening three games, if you'd offered me before hand.

Will have my fingers crossed that you get that then. ;)

Will Suarez play on Saturday, Kess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thought the team looked more solid especially when Chelsea were looking for killer balls, used to leave gaping holes in that respect last year. Chelsea created little of note to be honest. Need to sort out defending crosses, corners etc though, was pretty poor allowing Ivanovic score there tonight. Im not sure any of Vlaar, Clark or Baker are as commanding as they should be in those situations.

Positive signs though. Looking forward to saturday.

Will Suarez play on Saturday, Kess?

Well I will be very impressed if he does given he is banned for another five games. :D

But am not looking forward to playing you guys on Saturday. Said as much in the Liverpool thread earlier today that styles make fights and I think Villa's style of play is one that can potentially exploit the main weaknesses in the Liverpool team.

I see it as a genuine 50/50 game, and one where a big win for either team would not raise too many eyebrows. Lambert is also a manager that I regard as being pretty good tactically, and who will relish the opportunity to get a big scalp at home.

Your back line does not overly impress me, although I do think Luna will prove to be a smart bit of business, as I think it is a little lacking at times. But your front three bother me a lot as you have a lovely mix of genuine pace and power with some good positioning thrown in by two of the front three. Your three in midfield (if you go with Westwood, El Ahmadi, and Delph) look to have a nice balance about them with Westwood in particular looking, to me anyway, like he could be one of those good players that you really only notice/miss when he goes out of the team.

The one thing I am clinging to is our record against Villa at Villa Park. Obviously I want a win for my team, but I am expecting to see a good Villa team looking and expecting to geta win for them,selves.

My big hope is that Villa go on the attack rather than sitting back and countering, because I think the former would play into Liverpool's hands whereas the latter would certainly exploit the flaws in the Liverpool midfield and defence.

Okore played very well, I thought. I'd never seen him play until tonight. He's fast, strong, good positioning. Seems to have the whole package.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well I will be very impressed if he does given he is banned for another five games. :D

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Okore played very well, I thought. I'd never seen him play until tonight. He's fast, strong, good positioning. Seems to have the whole package.
    I kind of hope Calrk doesn't make it back for Saturday so we can see him properly as I think he's definitely one of our best buys so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Quick question lads, have i woken up in a parallel universe?!!

This Villa side look like men possessed this year!! If they keep this up for the season, you lot have got to be looking at a really high finish in the top 8.

Pace, power, quick counter-attacking and a togetherness in the side. Pretty much Newcastle-esque from 2011-2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

This Villa side look like men possessed this year!! If they keep this up for the season, you lot have got to be looking at a really high finish in the top 8.

Pace, power, quick counter-attacking and a togetherness in the side. Pretty much Newcastle-esque from 2011-2012.

:|

Okore looks the business. I think Saturday's game will start out a bit cagey but there'll be goals and I can see 5 or so being scored between the two. Our front line is devastating when on form, our midfield is starting to settle and the back line while shakey nowhere near as poor as last year. We've continued from the end of season form.

Liverpool shouldn't be too hard to break down at the back, if we can give Chelsea a crack then we can give Liverpool a crack. I do worry about Sturridge, Coutinho and Aspas as they seemed to have a good thing going against Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Clark hasnt put a foot out of place in the 100-120mins of football but Vlaar spent half of last night chewing the rocks out of Okore for bad positioning and letting runners go.

There is a lot of unwarrented bad press at Clark. Dont get me wrong. He has had a couple of howlers but so had everyone of our defenders, Lowton excluded who has been 7/10 in every game.

Baker, Clark and Okore will all mess up a number of times this season because of inexpirence. Has any prem team got a starting CB in their early 20s that isnt a walking disaster at times?

The 3 lads have bags of potential and mess ups during games and learning from it is the best way for them to achieve it.

As a non Villa supporter, I think your team showed signs of becoming a very good counter attacking side last season.

Maybe it is just a case of Lambert needing time to get the players used to how he wants them to play, but I think Villa has some very good players and are only a few players short of being a very solid unit from front to back.

Think a quality centre back would do marvels for Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

I'm still livid with that f*cking ref

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement