Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

COYVB wrote: »
    It bothers me a LOT, even moreso if he's doing it in Villa's colours. Let the other teams cheat all they want, but I don't want to see it from anyone representing Villa
    Really, Gareth Bale, Messi, Ronaldo all divers and you would have them in your team in a heart beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

astonaidan wrote: »
    Really, Gareth Bale, Messi, Ronaldo all divers and you would have them in your team in a heart beat.

I'd have them in the team because they're good players, not because they dive. And I'd complain about it every single time they did it in a Villa shirt, just like I did when Young was a Villa player, or when any of our current crop do it. You can be a good player and not cheat you know

I'd have them in the team because they're good players, not because they dive. And I'd complain about it every single time they did it in a Villa shirt, just like I did when Young was a Villa player, or when any of our current crop do it. You can be a good player and not cheat you know
    So youd have them in the team cause they are good players, which means youd not have Young cause he isnt a good player which is what it comes down to, otherwise its double standards.
    Id disagree with you on Young, I think hes a very good player and would certainly add to our team.
    I think youll find diving is everywhere in the game hence why I couldnt give a toss on whether its done or not as I mentioned 3 off the top 10 players in the world, who are well divers as much as Young

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Just a thought but I don't see why Villa shouldn't make a cheeky bid for Christian Eriksen, probably the most high profile player Villa would have a slight possibility of signing. Granted he wouldn't be playing Champions League football but he would be guaranteed 1st team football which is not guaranteed at Spurs. He'd have international colleagues in the same age bracket as him at Villa in Okore and Helenius. He is on supposedly £40k a week at Ajax, Villa could offer £55-60k.

I had actually been thinking the same until it was confirmed that Spurs were in for him and that Ajax had accepted a bid from them (think that was confirmed anyway) and as a result i'd now see the sigurdsson suggestion as being more likely although less impressive (though i'd still be happy if we signed him once his wages were not crazy - think I remember him choosing Spurs over Liverpool due to wages)

So youd have them in the team cause they are good players, which means youd not have Young cause he isnt a good player which is what it comes down to, otherwise its double standards.
    Id disagree with you on Young, I think hes a very good player and would certainly add to our team.
    I think youll find diving is everywhere in the game hence why I couldnt give a toss on whether its done or not as I mentioned 3 off the top 10 players in the world, who are well divers as much as Young

I also don't think Young is that good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Young is a cracking player and was unreal for Villa. some man for the assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Young is a cracking player and was unreal for Villa. some man for the assists.

In a rigid 4-4-2 where the main tactic was to give him the ball and let him cross it to the 2 big strikers or win a free and deliver it to the big centre halves. In Villa's current shape Gabby is a better player, is in better form and is not likely to be injured half the season touch wood.

Gabby looks a world class player so far this season. It won't last, but while it does I'll enjoy watching

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

cant remember if he knows what he is talking about these days but sounds like bullplop to me

Mat Kendrick ‏@MatKendrick 19m

Interesting story emerging from the north west about Liverpool reportedly lining up a move for Shay Given as cover for Simon Mignolet #avfc

That'd be fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

cant remember if he knows what he is talking about these days but sounds like bullplop to me

Mat Kendrick ‏@MatKendrick 19m

Interesting story emerging from the north west about Liverpool reportedly lining up a move for Shay Given as cover for Simon Mignolet #avfc

In a way I hope he doesn't go there and turn into another Carlo 'delighted to sit on the bench for all my clubs' Cudicini. But still, it'd be big wages off the bill.

So back to this mystery apparently quite decent player we have lined up, any names being bandied around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Given and Bent gone is a good chunk of wages freed up. We need more players in though. We've enough young project types, time for some instant impact! Messi or GTFO

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Given and Bent gone is a good chunk of wages freed up. We need more players in though. We've enough young project types, time for some instant impact! Messi or GTFO

I've heard Spurs are signing GTFO. Personal terms agreed.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Milner would be class but I can't imagine he'd want the move.

Milner could be the one looking for a move though...

That City midfield is jammers;

Garcia
    Rodwell
    Barry
    Fernandinho
    Yaya Toure
    Jovetic
    Nasri
    Navas
    Silva

It's a World Cup year and if he's not playing, Milner's England place will be under threat from emerging talents like Barkley, Townsend, Oxlade Chamberlain etc.

He'd start every week for Villa. And that's what he needs right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

wynters wrote: »
    Milner could be the one looking for a move though...

That City midfield is jammers;

Garcia
    Rodwell
    Barry
    Fernandinho
    Yaya Toure
    Jovetic
    Nasri
    Navas
    Silva

It's a World Cup year and if he's not playing, Milner's England place will be under threat from emerging talents like Barkley, Townsend, Oxlade Chamberlain etc.

He'd start every week for Villa. And that's what he needs right now...

Thats assuming he wants to play for england more than earn 100k+ a week.

Id love to see hom back but dont think it will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

LeBash wrote: »
    Thats assuming he wants to play for england more than earn 100k+ a week.

Id love to see hom back but dont think it will happen

he'd also start for an awful lot of teams apart from villa who are probably in better shape.

added to that his transfer fee would be pretty large you'd imagine it would be the likes of Liverpool/Arsenal that could afford his fee and wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

slingerz wrote: »
    he'd also start for an awful lot of teams apart from villa who are probably in better shape.

added to that his transfer fee would be pretty large you'd imagine it would be the likes of Liverpool/Arsenal that could afford his fee and wages

??

Didnt we beat Arsenal....

listermint wrote: »
    ??

Didnt we beat Arsenal....

didnt they finish in the top 4 last season and not the bottom 4??

arent they in the champions league??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Milner is better than all our midfielders by a long way.:confused:
    He'll never return, not while he's on his massive contract.

• Advertisement

So there's been nothing concrete leaked about this supposed trasnfer that's in the pipeline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

So there's been nothing concrete leaked about this supposed trasnfer that's in the pipeline?

Its another striker. That's all I've heard.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Its another striker. That's all I've heard.

Absolutely no chance of that happening then so

JPA wrote: »
    Milner is better than all our midfielders by a long way.:confused:
    He'll never return, not while he's on his massive contract.

i was agreeing with that but other clubs that are in a better shape than villa would be in for him

Theres a small link today to that striker Ba (not Demba) that we were linked to a lot before we signed Benteke.

As COYVB said though, I doubt we'd be in for a striker, or least not a centre forward anyway.

Dont think we need another striker, we have the big Dane on the bench if anything happens

• Advertisement

i was agreeing with that but other clubs that are in a better shape than villa would be in for him

Oh, just the way you phased it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Corholio wrote: »
    Theres a small link today to that striker Ba (not Demba) that we were linked to a lot before we signed Benteke.

As COYVB said though, I doubt we'd be in for a striker, or least not a centre forward anyway.

I thought that was Abdoulaye Ba and he was a CB

No harm signing another striker if it's either:

(a) An improvement on Weimann - hasn't had the most spectacular start to the season and not really looking like he will live up to the hype.

(b) Another young project player a la Helanius, to blood in for a season. We need to be honest - Benteke will be leaving at the latest next Summer, so the more we hedge our bets regarding his replacement now, the less we might need to spend replacing him when he does leave.

Weimann is played as a winger though, same as gabby. If we're signing a replacement for him i'd rather it was an actual winger. I did say on VT earlier that perhaps Benteke is being earmarked for a deeper role. Look at how he's played so far this season, he's been a lot further back a times than previously, perhaps both he and lambert reckon he's more effective if he's attacking the box from deep. Is Benteke actually going to be the man we play in the hole? Not convinced either that that's the case, or that he'd be as useful long term there given his scoring record, but it's not something i'd rule out

Yeah that's another option re: Benteke in the hole. But would presumably leave us sourcing a poacher type to play up the very top, and sure didn't we just sell Bent? Granted his wages were proscriptive, but you'd imagine Lambo would have at least tried him out up there, with Benteke a bit deeper, if nothing else than to evaluate how Benteke would perform in the hole?

• Advertisement

Weimann is played as a winger though, same as gabby. If we're signing a replacement for him i'd rather it was an actual winger. I did say on VT earlier that perhaps Benteke is being earmarked for a deeper role. Look at how he's played so far this season, he's been a lot further back a times than previously, perhaps both he and lambert reckon he's more effective if he's attacking the box from deep. Is Benteke actually going to be the man we play in the hole? Not convinced either that that's the case, or that he'd be as useful long term there given his scoring record, but it's not something i'd rule out
    Another winger like Ashley Young :pac:
    Being serious though Lacazatte from Lyon might be available, if Newcastle can get Gomis surely we can get him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

(a) An improvement on Weimann - hasn't had the most spectacular start to the season and not really looking like he will live up to the hype.

Far to early to say that Neil. He scored a cracker the other night and always works hard. He has the talent imo

Synode wrote: »
    Far to early to say that Neil. He scored a cracker the other night and always works hard. He has the talent imo

Yeah hopefully he just needed a goal to get him rolling. Almost had a couple beforehand and sometimes the longer that goes on without one going in the worse a players head gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

how Benteke would perform in the hole?
    Badly, very badly. He's a target man plain and simple. He doesn't have the passing range/vision and most importantly not the work rate required to play deeper. Use him where he's best, up top as your good old number 9.

As for the possible transfer, maybe it was Given leaving. Getting him off the wage bill would nearly be better than signing another player. (not quite though)

Badly, very badly. He's a target man plain and simple. He doesn't have the passing range/vision and most importantly not the work rate required to play deeper. Use him where he's best, up top as your good old number 9.

As for the possible transfer, maybe it was Given leaving. Getting him off the wage bill would nearly be better than signing another player. (not quite though)
    Watch him very closely in our next game, it might surprise you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Watch him very closely in our next game, it might surprise you

He drops deep a lot and does good work but I think it helps that when he drops deep it either draws a defender out to follow him and leaves space for Wiemann / Gabby to make good runs or else the defender doesn't follow and he has space.

If he was to play the 10 role he'd be marked differently and I'm not 100% sure it would suit him.

Although in saying that if he could produce something like that pass to Delph every week we wouldn't be complaining.

If we are trying to do a deal or 2, the lack of a game this weekend will be a great help.

Off all the lads weve got in would we all be thinking Okore is the most exciting our ye thinking one of the other guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Off all the lads weve got in would we all be thinking Okore is the most exciting our ye thinking one of the other guys
    Bacuna and Tonev haven't looked great so far (I mean they'll of course improve on that, but nothing to excite so far) so yeah he'd have to be the most exciting. Need a real improvement or 2 to the first 11 before Tuesday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tom Ince is one that there have been a few links for. I haven't seen him play that often but what I've seen looks like he would improve the team.

• Advertisement

Yeah, him or Luna.

Though if the songs are the judging criteria here, Helenius wins at a canter.

Anyone who doesn't know it's

"Oh we like to fight and do cocaine,
    and Niiiiiklaaaaas Helenius"

To the tune of the lyric

"Oh this year I'm off to sunny Spain
    Y Viva Espana"

in this song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Too late to join that paid fantasy league

Edit : mobile won't let me add smilies to show I'm gloating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Petrov on Goals on Sunday now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Patser wrote: »
    Too late to join that paid fantasy league

Edit : mobile won't let me add smilies to show I'm gloating.

Ha, it's a long season Pat.

Yes, too late for the paid one.

Bleh. 2 weeks until Villa play again. :mad:

Bleh. 2 weeks until Villa play again. :mad:

But we have tomorrow to look forward to for our creative midfielder!

3213353447_07eb77b3a4.jpg

But we have tomorrow to look forward to for our creative midfielder!

Ha! Yeah. Links gone completely dry on any front, it would appear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libor_Koz%C3%A1k

Doesn't make much sense.

Edit: Looks like it's only a loan deal. Doesn't look like there's any money there at all. Even being top scorer in the Europe league last year doesn't hide my disappointment if that's all the business the club does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libor_Koz%C3%A1k

Doesn't make much sense.

Edit: Looks like it's only a loan deal. Doesn't look like there's any money there at all.
    What!! We dont need a giant sub striker??

• Advertisement

Another big unit.... hardly what we need, really, is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement