Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Reports in Italy that its a permanent deal not a loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm slightly worried that he's being looked at because simeone made a last minute bid for Benteke.

matrim wrote: »
    I'm slightly worried that he's being looked at because simeone made a last minute bid for Benteke.

Been loads of reports for another forward for the last while. Can't imagine we've agreed to sell benteke unless someone's offered us a ludicrous amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

astonaidan wrote: »
    What!! We dont need a giant sub striker??

Not even Bentdner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Synode wrote: »
    Ha, it's a long season Pat.

Yes, too late for the paid one.

I know.

But unpaid league is just for bragging rights, so bragging now before my traditional 'Stephen Ireland/Craig Gardner/Pepe Reina' as FF capt brainfart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Patser wrote: »
    Not even Bentdner?
    Well he can play anywhere and hes amazing <3 cant compare the two tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

COYVB wrote: »
    Reports in Italy that its a permanent deal not a loan

Well I did say. Who was it said its not gonna happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Saab Ed wrote: »

You were right, although you made it seem like a much better signing. Started 4 league games last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He'll be a backup to Benteke, most likely. I guess Helenius, despite being the same height, is a different type of player. So I suppose it makes sense. A functional, albeit not exactly inspiring signing.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He'll be a backup to Benteke, most likely. I guess Helenius, despite being the same height, is a different type of player. So I suppose it makes sense. A functional, albeit not exactly inspiring signing.

I'm told he's more rotational than back up. Mr Lambert might just have found ye yet another surprise package. Don't be under whelmed, that's all I say.

• Advertisement

hairyhands on VT, who definitely has a high level of inside knowledge, says don't be surprised to see both kozak and benteke starting up front together

No, you were right. Well played sir. Forward wasn't really what we lacked given our current system, but it looks very much like that system is going to change

No, you were right. Well played sir. Forward wasn't really what we lacked given our current system, but it looks very much like that system is going to change

In the words of a good friend of mine "Lambert is the new Ferguson"

You'll do well to hold on to him after three years. The system does look like its about to change slightly.

The following team has an average height of.......

Guzan

-Lowton
    Baker
    Vlaar
    Clark-

Sylla
    Bacuna

-Helenius
    Weimann-

Benteke----Kozak
    6 foot 2 and a half!!
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The following team has an average height of.......

Guzan

-Lowton
    Baker
    Vlaar
    Clark-

Sylla
    Bacuna

-Helenius
    Weimann-

Benteke----Kozak
    6 foot 2 and a half!!
    :eek:

Gabby is taller than Weimann, while room could be made for 6 ft 2in Garry Gardner

Gabby is taller than Weimann, while room could be made for 6 ft 2in Garry Gardner

Weimann is 6"2 on Wikipedia, Gabby 5"11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Weimann is 6"2 on Wikipedia, Gabby 5"11

Must be bull****, no way is Weimann over 6 foot.

In the words of a good friend of mine "Lambert is the new Ferguson"

You'll do well to hold on to him after three years. The system does look like its about to change slightly.

Need to get Lambert locked down to a longer deal at some point before the summer IMO

Must be bull****, no way is Weimann over 6 foot.

[EDIT] He's 6"2 on the OS aswell....

In either event, subbing Gardner in for Sylla, the average height is now a fifth of an inch under 6"3.

Need to get Lambert locked down to a longer deal at some point before the summer IMO

Don't think that's an issue either. The man fancies the best of the best after Villa. There will he no sideways moves to Newcastle or the like. His next job will be the very top. Expect some legacy.

• Advertisement

Don't think that's an issue either. The man fancies the best of the best after Villa. There will he no sideways moves to Newcastle or the like. His next job will be the very top. Expect some legacy.

Are you the managerial version of Andersonisgod? We'll see how we finish season first, I like what Lambert is trying to do, actually doing it and succeeding is another thing altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Coz you read it on some Spurs forum! Don't act all ITK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Really disappointed with Lambert/Lerner's work in the transfer window if nothing good comes out of tomorrow. I think Villa will improve still due to continuity but there should be real investment in the team also to improve even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CSF wrote: »
    Really disappointed with Lambert/Lerner's work in the transfer window if nothing good comes out of tomorrow. I think Villa will improve still due to continuity but there should be real investment in the team also to improve even further.

Well the team is in a state of low spend, remove high wage earners, and sign low wage earners while also trying to improve through high quality management. This is the the situation.

I wouldn't mind the gradual approach, were it not for the fact that we have a once in a generation player on our books in Benteke. I'd love to get in a few new quality recruits straight away, to make a real push and convince him to stay. Worst case scenario, he leaves anyway (which he almost certainly will), but his stock will be that bit higher, having played with better players all season.

JPA wrote: »
    Well the team is in a state of low spend, remove high wage earners, and sign low wage earners while also trying to improve through high quality management. This is the the situation.
    Well yeah, but that is stating the obvious. I'm saying it isn't good enough. Lerner should be investing in the team, especially since the likes of Dunne and Bent have come off the wagebill.

JPA wrote: »
    Coz you read it on some Spurs forum! Don't act all ITK.

Oooohhh. Saucer of milk. Look who had their ego jolted. Keep up, you won't be last to the empty well next time.

Really?! I think we've done very, very well this window

Well yeah, but that is stating the obvious. I'm saying it isn't good enough. Lerner should be investing in the team, especially since the likes of Dunne and Bent have come off the wagebill.

Said it on VT, and I think it rings through here as well... had we signed the EXACT same players this summer, but spent 3 times more on each of them, our supporters would be delighted

• Advertisement

Said it on VT, and I think it rings through here as well... had we signed the EXACT same players this summer, but spent 3 times more on each of them, our supporters would be delighted

I'm moderately happy with the signings.

Okore - Looks good so far and is a great prospect
    Luna - Looks decent but prone to errors.
    Tonev - Not sure on him. Has potential but needs time to adapt
    Bacuna - Again not sure. Was ok at right back but needs time to get up to speed if we want him in midfield.
    Helinius - Haven't seen much so far but seems a decent prospect.

Out of all those it looks like only Okare and Luna will improve the first team straight away. The others look like squad players / players for the future.

While some of our players should be better for having played a full season in the PL (and stability of the manager staying), we still just barely avoided relegation last season with the team that started the season.

Personally I would have prefered at least one more player (preferably for midfield) who could have come in and really improved the first team from the off.

I think it's too early to tell on a lot of players. Many thought Bacuna looked poor in the Liverpool game, that Tonev was greedy etc, and of course they should be given time, but It's equally about giving players time to see if they'll be any good as when to allow them to gel with the team.

Okore is the only one IMO who has already shown he could be a very good player. The best players so far are ones who needed to show more than what they had been doing in previous seasons, Delph and Gabby. I'm not delighted nor disappointed on the actual players so far because there a fair few unknowns yet, I am disappointed at the glaring missing of an attack minded midfielder there though.

Don't think this is true at all, I'd be going mad that such funds were being spent on players I'd never heard of.

Thinking about it, Norwich have spent ~25m since Lambert came to Villa, and he has spent ~35m in the same time at Villa.

I would imagine it's highly unlikely that a mere extra 10m in transfer funds (over 2 seasons / 3 windows) was enough to entice Lambert to leave a club in a far safer position in the table and join Villa.

Leaves me thinking that there is definitely a plan in place, and it will be realised over a total of a 3 to five 5 period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Bannan looks set for Crystal Palace tweeted a picture earlier in a hotel room in London..Holloway took him on loan at Blackpool..

Thinking about it, Norwich have spent ~25m since Lambert came to Villa, and he has spent ~35m in the same time at Villa.

I would imagine it's highly unlikely that a mere extra 10m in transfer funds (over 2 seasons / 3 windows) was enough to entice Lambert to leave a club in a far safer position in the table and join Villa.

Leaves me thinking that there is definitely a plan in place, and it will be realised over a total of a 3 to five 5 period.
    I think it boils down to why sign players now who'll want to leave in a year if we're not pushing for Europe when we could sign similar players in a years time when there's a better chance we might be in a position to hold onto them longer then. If that makes sense

That's what I'm hoping anyway. Build your core and solidify, then add in the players who can take you beyond that.

Let's say we bought a pricey player for a big sum now, how much higher would we finish? One place? Two? Next season with the core more established, that player could see us really pushing. We're walking before we sprint, and it's the right way to do it if its done properly. And I've seen nothing yet from Lambert to suggest were not doing it right

• Advertisement

I think it boils down to why sign players now who'll want to leave in a year if we're not pushing for Europe when we could sign similar players in a years time when there's a better chance we might be in a position to hold onto them longer then. If that makes sense

That's what I'm hoping anyway. Build your core and solidify, then add in the players who can take you beyond that.

Let's say we bought a pricey player for a big sum now, how much higher would we finish? One place? Two? Next season with the core more established, that player could see us really pushing. We're walking before we sprint, and it's the right way to do it if its done properly. And I've seen nothing yet from Lambert to suggest were not doing it right

This doesn't make that much sense to me, if it was extremely likely that what's here already could take the club to a new level I'd agree, but there is nothing to suggest yet that Villa won't be in the shakeup in the bottom half of the table again. Some genuine improvements could change that and if those players end up doing a Benteke and being wanted elsewhere, I think we can all handle the disappointment of their value being doubled or trebled and them heading off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This doesn't make that much sense to me, if it was extremely likely that what's here already could take the club to a new level I'd agree, but there is nothing to suggest yet that Villa won't be in the shakeup in the bottom half of the table again. Some genuine improvements could change that and if those players end up doing a Benteke and being wanted elsewhere, I think we can all handle the disappointment of their value being doubled or trebled and them heading off.

Get Out.

It's a gamble either way, though. By waiting, you're gambling that the players will not only gel as a unit, but progress as individuals to a decent Premier League standard. Lowton, Westwood, Weimann etc., may have already peaked, in terms of how much they will develop. You never know.

At least if you sign better quality players now, you only need them to gel as a unit. So if the money is there, why wait?

Because without that player, we will finish at max say 10th.
    With that player we can finish, say 8th.

Not a huge amount of difference but once you have the player, if you can keep him and sign another good player you have the possibliity of finishing 6th the year after.
    Even if you lose the first good player, you can potentially attract someone of a better standing the next time around because of the better finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Bannan looks set for Crystal Palace tweeted a picture earlier in a hotel room in London..Holloway took him on loan at Blackpool..

He never lived up to his potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I tend to agree. I think the team has shown enough to suggest that they wont or shouldnt be involved in a relegation scrap. However, it's doubtful that theres enough quality to challenge at the top end of the table.

If you offered me 13th\14th in the league at the end of the season i'd take your arm off. A lot of the players that have been fighting relegation battles for the last two years still remain

Its painfully obvious that without Christian Benteke we're going to struggle and theres still a lot of deadwood at the club (Stephen Ireland, Barry Bannan, Shay Given etc)

I tend to agree. I think the team has shown enough to suggest that they wont or shouldnt be involved in a relegation scrap. However, it's doubtful that theres enough quality to challenge at the top end of the table.

If you offered me 13th\14th in the league at the end of the season i'd take your arm off. A lot of the players that have been fighting relegation battles for the last two years still remain

Its painfully obvious that without Christian Benteke we're going to struggle and theres still a lot of deadwood at the club (Stephen Ireland, Barry Bannan, Shay Given etc)

Yeah but the thing is with teams that you'd tip for 11th-14th (probably where Villa are) is that you're always one key injury or a 6-7 game run of bad form away from being sucked in where you don't want to be.

I expect things to be more comfortable this year than they have been for the last few, but still no room for resting on laurels in terms of improvements to the first 11. Most other teams in the Premiership are making those improvements. Look at Norwich!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Libor Kozak to Sign

According to the ITK's on VT he's as good as signed for £4.5m. Nice buy that provides much needed cover for Benteke. No other signings expected today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

As many people have mentioned, we may struggle without Benteke so if this Kuzak lad is cover for him then its a great signing

He was top scorer of Europa League with Lazio last season (10 goals in 11 games). He is 24. 6ft 3" and I'm sure he will also play alongside the beast when he settles in.

Great signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Excellent signing but another midfielder would be nice on deadline day.

Was kinda hoping we'd hijack the Bale deal at the last minute, but I guess he'd be a bit too direct for what we're after.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Excellent signing but another midfielder would be nice on deadline day.

No more signings expected

Some may leave though (Bannan looking likely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Feidhlim wrote: »
    As many people have mentioned, we may struggle without Benteke so if this Kuzak lad is cover for him then its a great signing

He was top scorer of Europa League with Lazio last season (10 goals in 11 games). He is 24. 6ft 3" and I'm sure he will also play alongside the beast when he settles in.

Great signing.

Think quoting that 10 goals from 11 games gives a bit of a false impression. Outside of that small sample his goal scoring record is very modest indeed
    Apps Goals
    2006–2008 Opava 26 (11)
    2008– Lazio 58 (10)
    2009–2010 → Brescia (loan) 30 (4)

Haven't seen the lad play at all though. Also BBC reporting transfer fee is closer to £7m.

shoutman wrote: »
    Think quoting that 10 goals from 11 games gives a bit of a false impression. Outside of that small sample his goal scoring record is very modest indeed
    Apps Goals
    2006–2008 Opava 26 (11)
    2008– Lazio 58 (10)
    2009–2010 → Brescia (loan) 30 (4)

Haven't seen the lad play at all though. Also BBC reporting transfer fee is closer to £7m.

I would say it was a correct impression, since it's what happened... :p

But yeah, I was aware his scoring record isn't world class - neither was Benteke's when he signed.

I saw the BBC are reporting it as £7m. HairyHands has it just over £4m. I tend to believe HairyHands if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Feidhlim wrote: »
    I'm sure he will also play alongside the beast when he settles in.
    Only as a sub IMO. Can't see us starting with two up front at all this season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement