Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Agree with the above, at the start of the link I thought it was about Barry who would need a lot more forgiveness.

Anyhow what are peoples predictions for next year I think our aim should be 7th after Utd Chels Man C & Ars, Pool & Spurs next.

I think were in a mini league with Everton Bolton Sunderland Fulham and certainly need to be ahead of Stoke QPR Norwich

Top 10 would be OK, lower than this would probably indicate a poor patch but I think some teams will struggle even more B'Burn,N'Castle,Wolves Swansea Wigan.

But if there are signs of playing decent football,good cup runs and progress with the youngsters I think a lot will be forgiven. Also finally turn out the non performers who I think he'll give until Jan at least.

I can remember many years ago top four wouldn't be such a high aspiration/achievement, sign of the times I s'pose

What do others think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Linked with Etherington in the Heil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There's no chance of Milner going back to Villa when he'd have to take a massive reduction in his wage (Manchester City aren't going to supplement his wages for Villa), won't have any European football at Villa, and although people are saying he hasn't had much game time there (I don't know why?) he still actually started 31 games for them last season. They'd also want to make a massive amount of the transfer fee back. It's just not going to happen.

As for Etherington - I think Stoke will do all they can to keep him and he'd probably stay loyal to Pulis who Etherington and his Dad claim ''saved him''. I couldn't see him leaving Stoke for Villa, but if you went all out for him, offered him good money and got him he'd be a very good signing. He's an underrated player IMO.

As for league position - I'm a Sunderland fan and I think the top 6 are done and dusted for the foreseeable future. Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool will be battling it out for the top 5, Tottenham and Everton will battle it out for 6th and 7th. Then there's the likes of Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, Stoke, Fulham and Bolton etc in the next tier, with the likes of Wigan, Norwich, Swansea, Wolves etc making up the bottom tier. Personally I think Villa will finish ''best of the rest'' and take 8th place which would be a good season IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sunderland and Newcastle making up the rest of the top 10 with Fulham, Stoke, Bolton etc following closely behind. After that it's anyone's guess and they'll be all fighting to stay in the division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

milners on 80k at city which is what we offered him to stay. wed offer that again im sure

also etherington is too old

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    also etherington is too old

We've signed older - Dunne, Friedel, Emile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

We're going to loose Downing to pool. What realistic chance do we have in getting Milner back with the guts of the midfield he played with gone?

Scot Parker for 8 Mill and N'Zog for 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

There isn't one amongst us who wouldn't welcome Milner back with open arms, hey we all make mistakes Jimmy :pac:

I think it's far fetched though, a bit audacious by RL & Mcleish but you can see why this story has gained legs. Milner might have to move if he wants to secure his England place and City was always the wrong move for him IMHO.

He seemed like one of the few sensible footballers, but I think just took the bait when it came his way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »

the bit about looking to get the wage bill under control is nonsense, it's well under control now

So, are we still paranoid for suggesting RL is tightening the purse strings? Next up will be the rumours of Randy looking for investors, it's somewhat inevitable.

If it's true Mcleish needs to offload Downing to boost his transfer budget, then we can be sure he was probably one of the few managers willing to do so hence Randy's bullheaded-ness in going after him.

Christ we need a healthy does of good news for a change :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

something has to be going on, maybe Randy is stripping the assests and preparing to sell?

something has to be going on, maybe Randy is stripping the assests and preparing to sell?
    that'd make very little sense

he'd get more for the club if it had its most valuable assets still there

lets take a look at things sensibly:

barry, wanted to go, was offered a new deal to make him the highest paid player at the club, turned it down, left
    milner, wanted to go, was offered a new deal to make him the highest paid player at the club, turned it down, left
    young, wanted to go, was offered a new deal to make him the highest paid player at the club, turned it down, left
    downing, apparently wants to go, was offered a new deal to make him the highest paid player at the club, turned it down...

now, what exactly about those 4 scenarios suggests that villa are actively seeking to flog these players?

remember after last summer all we were hearing was that the club was broke, no money to spend? then we go and spunk £24m on one player in january. the media doesn't have a clue what goes on behind the closed doors at villa park, they're just going for the most sensationalist approaches.

two big name players leave? they must be broke and looking to cash in

nothing mentioned about the fact that both players were offered massive deals to stay, yet both decided that they wanted to go and the club couldnt convince them otherwise

take a step back from the hysteria and be reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SkyBet have suspended betting on Given to Villa after some big bets were made.

Given would be a tremendous signing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Won't happen unless Villa offer him something near the £90,000 a week he's on at City. If they do then that's madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I wouldn't be surprised if either man city give him a percentage of his wages until the end of his current contract with Villa paying the rest of he took a paycut for first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Given would be a class signing as would Foster who is being linked with us again, this time in a deal that will include Brad Guzan.

given is too injury prone for my liking

great keeper, but starting to pick up a lot of tweaks and pulls

• Advertisement

given is too injury prone for my liking

great keeper, but starting to pick up a lot of tweaks and pulls

Eh? He was ready and willing but couldn't get into the City team, injury never really came into it (least of all not to the level you suggest).

Not being able to dislodge an excellent Joe Hart is hardly cause for concern, this would be a smashing signing, he's still a quality keeper and a perfect fit for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Savman wrote: »
    Eh? He was ready and willing but couldn't get into the City team, injury never really came into it (least of all not to the level you suggest).

Not being able to dislodge an excellent Joe Hart is hardly cause for concern, this would be a smashing signing, he's still a quality keeper and a perfect fit for us.

Eh? His shoulder has been giving him a lot of trouble recently and that's while barely playing. Might even get worse with regular football.
    Injury is the biggest question mark over him these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JPA wrote: »
    Eh? His shoulder has been giving him a lot of trouble recently and that's while barely playing. Might even get worse with regular football.

Actually inury isn't a question mark over him. His playing rate over the past few seasons, bar last season, has been very good. The shoulder injury seems to follow him around almost without substance.

Would be a good signing.

Corholio wrote: »
    Actually inury isn't a question mark over him. His playing rate over the past few seasons, bar last season, has been very good. The shoulder injury seems to follow him around almost without substance.

Would be a good signing.

we should be looking for someone younger

we should be looking for someone younger

Given is 34 with another 4 or 5 seasons ahead of him so would be a great signing

Given is 34 with another 4 or 5 seasons ahead of him so would be a great signing

there is absolutely no chance given has 4 or 5 more seasons in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Underwhelmed by Given TBH. He's a keeper that over rated by irish people because he's a good shot stopper and has played great for Ireland. In reality despite being a good shot stopper he doesn't command his box for corners/crosses and can be to too slow to come off his line. He is better than foster though, much better.

He's not in the upper echelon of keepers but he's definitely good enough for us. If fit.

He's not in the upper echelon of keepers but he's definitely good enough for us. If fit.

How far up the echelon do you think you can go ? Who is actually better in the premiership than him ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

How far up the echelon do you think you can go ? Who is actually better in the premiership than him ?
    Hart
    Reina
    Cech
    VDS was

Id rather Foster, I too am concerned in regard to Shay's injuries.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Hart
    Reina
    Cech
    VDS was

Id rather Foster, I too am concerned in regard to Shay's injuries.

So only 4 keeper better in the premiership. For a club like Villa he is a great signing . He is fit at the moment unlucky with couple of injuries but cracking signing I would think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So only 4 keeper better in the premiership. For a club like Villa he is a great signing . He is fit at the moment unlucky with couple of injuries but cracking signing I would think.

I dont think anyone would be dissapointed by Shay's signing, I know I wouldent but due to his age and injuries (which I would hope wouldent be as much of a problem as some think) some wouldent have him as first choice. I remember suggesting Kameni a while back but I admit there wouldbe an element ofrisk with that transfer while others have pointed out that Foster would be a morelong term solution.

Today's rumours:

New Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish wants Real Madrid midfielder Sergio Canales to be his first big signing on a season-long loan.
    Full story: Daily Mirror

McLeish is set to offer £4m for Manchester City keeper Shay Given. Mirror

The Scot also has his eye on Wolfsburg playmaker Diego.
    Full story: the Sun

In addition, McLeish has been granted permission from Villa owner Randy Lerner to pursue a £9m move for Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia.

Given/Foster and N'Zogbia would be a good start to the transfer window and would fill the glaring holes in our squad.

After that it will be up to Mcleish to make an assessment.

We have players for the other positions it's just whether they are good enough/up for it/or want to be at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

He has only had three seasons in the last 10 which he played in less than 35 league games, one of which was last season where he played second fiddle to Hart.

The injury question mark is nonsense in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

The injury question mark is nonsense in my opinion.

Have to agree. He's been an almost ever present for Ireland and wasn't getting his game for City. So where are people getting this "prone to injury" from?

• Advertisement

Worse still, where are people getting the idea that we are too good for a mere mortal such as Given? Simply the best, attainable GK we can hope for.

We could do a lot worse, but not a whole lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Foster/Given
    Enrique
    N'Zogbia
    Krancjar

Would take any or all of these.

We are suppose to making a bid for Charles N'Zogbia over the weekend according to the Birmingham Mail & Daily Star which is a move I would welcome.

Also interestingly enough we are being linked with Monaco's goalkeeper Stephane Ruffier. He is only 24 and has already won a full cap for France and surprisingly he would be available for a cut price £1m as Monaco need to balance their books following their relegation.

Finally we are being linked with a loan move for Real Madrid's attacking midfielder Sergio Canales, which would be interesting.

ruffier would be a good signing. monaco had a very good defence

They got relegated Helix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Clanket wrote: »
    They got relegated Helix

:confused:

How could they have a good defence (as Helix said) if they got relegated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Clanket wrote: »
    How could they have a good defence (as Helix said) if they got relegated?
    Played 38 conceded 40. Only 4 teams in the league with a better defensive record. That's how.

Jaysus I'd be sick if we got relegated with a defensive record like that

as said above

why would i say they had a good defence if they didnt lads, ffs

they got relegated because they didnt score enough

Ruffier is very highly rated and for that reason there will probably be a scramble across Europe for his signature. But still, the chance of playing first team football in one of the best leagues in the world has to be a draw, plus I'm sure Lerner would offer him a nice numerical package :)

Speaking of which, Diego, who we are being linked with, is on £75,000 a week tax free in Germany and Wolfsburg are looking for a transfer fee of £15m for him. That would be a massive gamble, especially considering that he is a very temperamental character.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Ruffier is very highly rated and for that reason there will probably be a scramble across Europe for his signature. But still, the chance of playing first team football in one of the best leagues in the world has to be a draw, plus I'm sure Lerner would offer him a nice numerical package :)

Speaking of which, Diego, who we are being linked with, is on £75,000 a week tax free in Germany and Wolfsburg are looking for a transfer fee of £15m for him. That would be a massive gamble, especially considering that he is a very temperamental character.

Bundesliga players aren't taxed?

i doubt he's on €100k a week

bid in for ngozbia

bid in for ngozbia

I saw that in the mirror earlier, has it been confirmed anywhere else?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement