Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn Rovers Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2021/2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

BBC Sport:

BBC Africa Sport understands that Yakubu will be joining Blackburn from Everton today. The striker is on his way to Ewood Park as we speak.

I'd welcome his signing at the minute to be honest. Things are that desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

As I said previously, we may not have cash for wages or fees but what we can offer any player is a realistic chance of playing regular first team premiership football. There are alot of players, particular at City that should be interested in that.

Dann deal done:D Not sure about the Yak, but we still have Samba, when he didnt move this window maybe he will stay for a few years and give us a base with Dann.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Yak deal done and Hoilett new contract, delighted he signed a new deal but hopefully there isn't a release clause like phil jones deal

Transfers In:
    Myles Anderson - minmal fee
    David Goodwillie - 2.8 million
    Radoslav Petrovic - 2.7 million
    Bruno Ribeiro - free
    Simon Vukcevic - 2 million
    Yakubu - 1.5 million
    Scott Dann - 7.7 million
    Jordan Slew - 1 million
    Total spent - 17.7 million

Transfers Out:
    Frank Fielding - 0.4 million
    Phil Jones - 20 million
    Benjani - free
    Nikola Kalinic - 6.5 million
    Brett Emerton - undisclosed
    Keith Andrews - out on loan
    El Hadj Diouf - not given a squad number
    Mame Briam Diouf - back to club.
    Jermaine Jones - back to club.
    Roque Santa Cruz - back to club.
    Total in - 27 million at least

So, the spending is now over and I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions. We've signed one established PL player in Dann. Yakubu has been off form for a number of seasons so I don't think he can be described as established. Goodwillie, Petrovic, Vukcevic and Ribeiro are all unproven in the PL and I'd be happy to see their signings if it had been alongside some established PL players who could make an instant impact on the squad. We don't have time for these lads to be finding their feet.

My one other problem is that we signed a central defender for 7.7 million. I think that money would have been better spent on a midfielder or striker. Peter Crouch went to Stoke. Sean Wright Phillips went to QPR. Darren Gibson could have been available for 3-4 million at United. Wilson Palacios was available.

Mick McCarthy went out and bought Roger Johnson and Jamie O'Hara. Just two established PL players and look at the turnaround in Wolves' fortunes so far. I really think that 3 to 4 key signings could have moved Rovers on and Kean has failed to do that.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Transfers In:
    Bruno Ribeiro - free
    Yakubu - 1.5 million
    Scott Dann - 7.7 million
    Jordan Slew - 1 million

Transfers Out:
    Frank Fielding - 0.4 million
    Phil Jones - 20 million
    Benjani - free
    Nikola Kalinic - 6.5 million
    Brett Emerton - undisclosed
    Keith Andrews - out on loan
    El Hadj Diouf - not given a squad number
    Mame Briam Diouf - back to club.
    Jermaine Jones - back to club.
    Roque Santa Cruz - back to club.
    Total in - 27 million at least

So, the spending is now over and I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions. We've signed one established PL player in Dann. Yakubu has been off form for a number of seasons so I don't think he can be described as established. Goodwillie, Petrovic, Vukcevic and Ribeiro are all unproven in the PL and I'd be happy to see their signings if it had been alongside some established PL players who could make an instant impact on the squad. We don't have time for these lads to be finding their feet.

My one other problem is that we signed a central defender for 7.7 million. I think that money would have been better spent on a midfielder or striker. Peter Crouch went to Stoke. Sean Wright Phillips went to QPR. Darren Gibson could have been available for 3-4 million at United. Wilson Palacios was available.

Mick McCarthy went out and bought Roger Johnson and Jamie O'Hara. Just two established PL players and look at the turnaround in Wolves' fortunes so far. I really think that 3 to 4 key signings could have moved Rovers on and Kean has failed to do that.

I would have liked to see an established prem central midfielder and right winger and right back. But no way would I pay anything for Darren Gibson, when you look at Stoke then Palacios would have been great signing for us. SWP would have been nice too. I am happy we got Dann and kept Samba and delighted Hoillett signed a new deal. Of the signings outside of Dann I would hold out some hope for Goodwillie but its really early for all these guys and none have premiership experience except the Yak. The Yak is interesting because if he gets fit and motivated he could suit us and could be a really handful and set pieces with Samba. Im upset Jones left early. Thought we might get another season or two from him but you cant turn down MU, and I think they got Jones for a bargain. Chelsea are going to kick themselves as they watch old man Terry struggle around the pitch this season. Jones will be twice the footballer Terry is. Arsenal missed the boat with Jones too. Sad to see Emerton go, particularlly with the right back position.
    I thought we might have gotten Mame Briam Diouf back on loan, cant see him getting into the united team much and he would give us great cover across the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

I'm happy we got Dann, Yakubu well the jury is out on him but we'll see. Whats this other guy we are supposed to have got Jordan Slew like? have to admit I've never seen him play.

Im quite surprised we didnt pull in a few loan signs to be honest, I think Gibson could do a job for us in the centre but wouldn't have spent money on him. What are our squad numbers like now?

I think ill reserve judgement on on the team again for a few weeks, end of september will be very telling. I'm disgusted with whats happened at the club in the last 12 months and don't think Kean or Venkys should be let anywhere near Ewood Park, but if it wasnt for the bizarre nature of the Everton game we might actually have won. We dont have to many away on international duty so its a perfect time for the team to get to know each other and get playing as a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

So you have ruled Yakubu out of the running to be included as one of your established Premier League players, despite him being younger than Peter Crouch and having a better Premier League goal scoring record than him.

Ok, Yakubu has not set the world alight in the past few seasons, and had to be shipped out to Leicester, but Crouch has only scored 12 Premier League goals for Spurs. You seem to indicate above that you would rather the money we spent on Dann was spent on someone like Crouch? Seriously?

Formica 23
    Rochina 20
    Myles Anderson 20
    David Goodwillie 22
    Radoslav Petrovic 22
    Bruno Ribeiro 28
    Simon Vukcevic 25
    Yakubu 28
    Scott Dann 24
    Jordan Slew 18

Looking above, it is clear the club want to invest the majority of their money on younger players. It is the best business model for the club in my opinion, and one which offers the best value for money.

Moving onto Wolves, you are really putting the signing of "just two" established Premier League players down to the turnaround in their fortunes? Let us ignore the fact that O'Hara was there for 14 of their games last season. They have played 3 games so far this season, winning 2 and drawing 1, last season they won 1 and drew 2 of their opening 3. Not a huge difference to be honest.

Wolves This Season

Blackburn, Away, Won 2-1
    Fulham, Home, Won 2-0
    Villa, Away, Drew 0-0

Wolves Last Season

Blackburn, Away, Lost 3-2
    Fulham, Home, Drew 1-1
    Villa, Away, Won 1-0

Even if we break it down into who they played, you can't really describe it as a change of fortunes, especially based on the signing of "just two" established Premier League players. It is laughable to be honest.

We know you hate Kean, we know you hate Venky's, we know you want them both out, you are not alone in that regard, but you really don't have to come up with drivel like you have above to try and justify it all.

I know it is each to their own and all that, but i myself would rather money be spent on decent young prospects like most of it has been. I am especially delighted that the money was spent on Dann than over the hill established Premier League players like Crouch or Shaun Wright-Phillips.

If Crouch had of arrived I would have taken him but his fee and wages dont justify what he offers. If he was any other nationality apart english he would have been worth about 3mil max.

I am prepared to give Kean time but I wouldnt be confident of out come.

• Advertisement

So you have ruled Yakubu out of the running to be included as one of your established Premier League players, despite him being younger than Peter Crouch and having a better Premier League goal scoring record than him.

Ok, Yakubu has not set the world alight in the past few seasons, and had to be shipped out to Leicester, but Crouch has only scored 12 Premier League goals for Spurs. You seem to indicate above that you would rather the money we spent on Dann was spent on someone like Crouch? Seriously?

Formica 23
    Rochina 20
    Myles Anderson 20
    David Goodwillie 22
    Radoslav Petrovic 22
    Bruno Ribeiro 28
    Simon Vukcevic 25
    Yakubu 28
    Scott Dann 24
    Jordan Slew 18

Looking above, it is clear the club want to invest the majority of their money on younger players. It is the best business model for the club in my opinion, and one which offers the best value for money.

Moving onto Wolves, you are really putting the signing of "just two" established Premier League players down to the turnaround in their fortunes? Let us ignore the fact that O'Hara was there for 14 of their games last season. They have played 3 games so far this season, winning 2 and drawing 1, last season they won 1 and drew 2 of their opening 3. Not a huge difference to be honest.

Wolves This Season

Blackburn, Away, Won 2-1
    Fulham, Home, Won 2-0
    Villa, Away, Drew 0-0

Wolves Last Season

Blackburn, Away, Lost 3-2
    Fulham, Home, Drew 1-1
    Villa, Away, Won 1-0

Even if we break it down into who they played, you can't really describe it as a change of fortunes, especially based on the signing of "just two" established Premier League players. It is laughable to be honest.

We know you hate Kean, we know you hate Venky's, we know you want them both out, you are not alone in that regard, but you really don't have to come up with drivel like you have above to try and justify it all.

I know it is each to their own and all that, but i myself would rather money be spent on decent young prospects like most of it has been. I am especially delighted that the money was spent on Dann than over the hill established Premier League players like Crouch or Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Yakubu spent the latter half of last season in the Championship. His last decent season was in 07-08, 4 years ago, when he scored 15 PL goals in 29 games. 08-09 he only managed to play 14 games and score 4 goals. 09-10, he played 25 games and scored 5 goals. First half of '10-'11 season, he played 14 games and scored 1 goal. He was then loaned out to a Championship team where he scored 11 goals in 20 games, a very good strike rate but still at Championship level.

Crouch doesn't have near as good a striking record but at least he has been playing consistently for a PL team and top six team, which Yakubu hasn't. He has also played Champions League football. While he was scoring against Milan in the San Siro last season, Crouch was probably lining out against Peterborough or Preston.

Crouch is also a different type of player to Yakubu. He's a striker who brings others into play. Blackburn could do with someone like this when they have players like Formica, Dunn and Pedersen who can get forward and support the striker. Yakubu is an out and out striker who offers little else to the team other than scoring, when he's on form that is, which he hasn't been in the PL for a long time.

I also think it says alot about Yakubu that Everton, a team who are desperately short of cover like ourselves, were willing to let him leave for as little as 1.5 million. If he had anything to offer, I think they'd be holding onto him. Crouch has left Spurs in totally different circumstances. Harry wants cash. They've signed Adeyabor and have van der Vaart, so he's been allowed to leave and they received a 10 million fee for him.

Taling of drivel, I think it shows you are speaking nothing but drivel when an astute manager like Tony Pulis was willing to spend 10 million on Crouch and the Yak was let leave Everton for 1.5 million. Price is all about supply and demand and it's easy to see that Crouch was more in demand than Yakubu.

Yes, it's all good buying younger players when you have the squad in place to support them. Blackburn have a squad who narrowly escaped relegation last season and who have now lost a further number of key players. Salgado and Nelsen aren't getting any younger either and more and more errors are starting to creep into their game. So to say that the club has the right business model in buying young players IMO is incorrect. Blackburn are sitting bottom of the table, having lost the first three games of the season. Would you say this is the time to be buying young, inexperienced and foreign players who will take time to adapt to the English game? I'm not saying these lads won't come good and I hope they do but it takes time to get used to the PL and Blackburn haven't that time at present.

I'll bet with you now that Wolves will be nowhere near relegatin this season. Compare their starting 11 to Blackburn's. Just look at their strikers. They've Stephen Fletcher, Kevin Doyle and then Ebanks Blake in reserve. Blackburn have Jason Roberts, Goodwillie, Yakubu and Rochina. As a direct comparison, they went to Villa Park and drew 0-0, we went and lost 3-1.

And yes I am saying that 2 signings have helped to shore up their squad. They were weak in defence last season so McCarthy went and bought Roger Johnson for 7 million. We paid the same for Dann. Now who's the better defender between the two? Also, McCarthy went and spent his money on an established player in a position where the side was weak. Did we do the same? No, we went and bought Dann when we have Givet and Samba to play central defence and Nelsen in reserve. Meanwhile, we are weak in midfield and particularly up front. Therefore I would have preferred to see the money spent on a creative midfielder like Wright Phillips or a striker like Crouch. It's interesting how you describe those two lads as over-the-hill yet seem to have such a good opinion of Yakubu.

I don't think anything is need to support my "drivel" other than looking at the league table at the minute. We're turning into a joke of a club and I don't know how you can even attempt to justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Lemlin, Dann and Johnson are both excellent defenders.

G.K. wrote: »
    Lemlin, Dann and Johnson are both excellent defenders.

But Johnson is the better of the two.

On what basis?

On what basis?

In my opinion based on their performances over the past few seasons when I've seen them play. Dann isn't as good a player as Johnson IMO.

He also isn't as much of a threat going forward.

I also think you'd struggle to find many who would say Dann is the better player of the two.

There is probably not much between them, but Johnson has alot more experience and 4 years on Dann. As both transfer fees are similar you could argue Dann offers better value because of his age.

• Advertisement

In my opinion based on their performances over the past few seasons when I've seen them play. Dann isn't as good a player as Johnson IMO.

He also isn't as much of a threat going forward.

I also think you'd struggle to find many who would say Dann is the better player of the two.

Dann has gotten to the premier league quicker than Johnson, his talents were recognised at an earlier age as he has a couple of U21 caps. If you look at there history then its clear that some people clearly rate Dann given the progression of his career and fee's paid to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dann is way better than Johnson, Johnson is all heart but Dann has a touch of class.

To be honest lads, we're getting away from the point. It doesn't matter which is better. I still don't think Dann was the 7 or 8 million player Rovers needed. Rovers needed a midfielder or striker.

I also don't think now is the time for Blackburn to be signing young players for the future. Some quality and experience is needed now. Not in a few months when these lads grow into the team and league.

You need 4 good CB's to be ok in the PL - you have that again. Hanley and Anderson are a few years away so you needed a player in before Nelsen/Givet go.

Did you want a DM or an AM?

You need 4 good CB's to be ok in the PL - you have that again. Hanley and Anderson are a few years away so you needed a player in before Nelsen/Givet go.

Did you want a DM or an AM?

We have 3 good centre backs in Nelsen, Givet and Samba. I'm happy enough with Samba and Givet as a first choice pairing and Nelsen providing cover with Hanley. Anderson was only signed because of his father and I don't value him as a player.

It is good to have 4 defenders but central defence is not our most pressing concern to be honest. The signing of a defender could have waited until the Summer and, even then, Nedum Onuoha who could have played right back would have been a better signing than Dann.

I would have liked to see an attacking midfielder. Even Gibson would have done in that he has PL experience. Dunn finds it hard to manage 90 minutes now. NJ'Zonzi is a decent defensive midfidler and Petrovic should provide cover.

Birmingham had a solid back 4 and 'keeper last season but hadn't a strong enough midfield and strikers and look at what happened them.

Above all, I would have liked to see a striker signed for 7 to 8 million. Our main striker was allowed to leave so why wasn't he replaced? I'm not convinced by Goodwillie. He hardly set the Scottish league alight and he's young.

17.7 million was spent on 8 players.

Bruno Ribeiro - free
    Yakubu - 1.5 million
    Scott Dann - 7.7 million
    Jordan Slew - 1 million

My argument is that the 17 million could have been better spent given the circumstance the club are in. A few seasons ago, under Mark Hughes, or even Allardyce last Summer I would have been delighted with this transfer activity but under Kean it doesn't bode well.

Inexperienced players under an inexperienced managers is a recipe for disaster. Kean is not tactically astute and my fear is that these players will come into a team lacking in confidence and struggle to keep their heads above water.

• Advertisement

I would have liked to see an attacking midfielder.

What is Vukcevic then?

What is Vukcevic then?

Good question, hopefully he is an all around box to box hard tackling goal scoring midfield enforcer with creative vision and two fantastic feet. Then we be a safer bet to remain in this league.

We need strength in midfield, part of the problem is that we may have the players but they are unproven. Vukcevic could be great, Formica could be the creative defence splitting midfielder and NZonzi could be the ball winning enforcer. One experienced central midfielder could have made a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dann is a great signing, he is only 24 and is a great replacement for Ryan Nelsen in the long term, Nelsen has become injury prone of late and I can see Dann taking his place beside Samba in the starting lineup. Very happy with that signing and I rated him the best Birmingham defender, better than Johnson.

What is Vukcevic then?

Are you the master of the short posts? Try and keep them above ten words please.

Vukcevic is an unproven midfielder who was allowed to leave Sporting Lisbon for as little as 2 million. He's played 77 games in 4 seasons at them, so not even averaging 20 games a season. He plays international football for a country who lost 2-1 to Wales the other night. Pardon me, if I'm not foaming at the mouth to see him play.

Also, if your reading skills are better than your typing skills, you'll notice I've repeatedly said signing these lads is all well and good but they'll need time to adapt to the PL. That's why experienced performers are needed.

Blackburn are bottom of the table and don't have time for these lads to settle in anfind their feet.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Dann is a great signing, he is only 24 and is a great replacement for Ryan Nelsen in the long term, Nelsen has become injury prone of late and I can see Dann taking his place beside Samba in the starting lineup. Very happy with that signing and I rated him the best Birmingham defender, better than Johnson.

And why couldn't Givet do that? Olsson is a fine left back so Givet isn't needed there.

Would you disagree then that a midfielder or striker were needed more than a defender?

You said you'd give your opinion on the transfer activities when the window was closed so what's your opinion on the 17.7 million or so Rovers have spent?

Yakubu is an out and out striker who offers little else to the team other than scoring, when he's on form that is, which he hasn't been in the PL for a long time.

I also think it says alot about Yakubu that Everton, a team who are desperately short of cover like ourselves, were willing to let him leave for as little as 1.5 million. If he had anything to offer, I think they'd be holding onto him. Crouch has left Spurs in totally different circumstances. Harry wants cash. They've signed Adeyabor and have van der Vaart, so he's been allowed to leave and they received a 10 million fee for him.

I think what we need is an out and out striker, we have plenty of creative players on the pitch. I am not saying Yakubu is the player we needed and i don't rate him that much. What I am happy about is that we did not shell out £10 million pound on Peter Crouch.
    It's interesting how you describe those two lads as over-the-hill yet seem to have such a good opinion of Yakubu.

I don't have such a good opinion of Yakubu to be honest, I never said that. I was pointing out that him and Crouch in terms of being established Premier League players are not that much different. I found it laughable that you were ruling out Yakubu as an established Premier League player to suit what you were saying.
    Talking of drivel, I think it shows you are speaking nothing but drivel when an astute manager like Tony Pulis was willing to spend 10 million on Crouch and the Yak was let leave Everton for 1.5 million. Price is all about supply and demand and it's easy to see that Crouch was more in demand than Yakubu. . . .

Crouch has left Spurs in totally different circumstances. Harry wants cash. They've signed Adeyabor and have van der Vaart, so he's been allowed to leave and they received a 10 million fee for him.

My opinion is that £10 Million is too much for Crouch. I would rather the money we spent on Dann was spent on Shane Long earlier in the window if I am honest, because I think he is the type of Striker we need, especially if we knew Samba was going nowhere.

So at the end of the window , I am happy more in the fact we did not spend big money, and big wages on the likes of Crouch and SWP and instead spent it on a highly rated and still young central defender like Dann. Just finishing on Crouch, i don't think it was a case of him being allowed to leave, He has not been wanted at Spurs by Redknapp for quite a while.

I'll bet with you now that Wolves will be nowhere near relegatin this season. Compare their starting 11 to Blackburn's. Just look at their strikers. They've Stephen Fletcher, Kevin Doyle and then Ebanks Blake in reserve. Blackburn have Jason Roberts, Goodwillie, Yakubu and Rochina. As a direct comparison, they went to Villa Park and drew 0-0, we went and lost 3-1.

I am not really worried about Wolves and I agree I think they will have a much more comfortable survival season than they did last season. I remember at one point last season you said Birmingham had a much stronger squad than us and you didn't think they would go down.

I still think that there are still 4 teams I would feel confident of us finishing ahead of, and so survive again.
    I am not saying I am happy with that, I am certainly not, especially considering a manager like Hughes could work wonders with the squad we have now, but we are in a horrible position with the owners and management and their relationships and will have to live with it for now.

I think what we need is an out and out striker, we have plenty of creative players on the pitch. I am not saying Yakubu is the player we needed and i don't rate him that much. What I am happy about is that we did not shell out £10 million pound on Peter Crouch.

I don't have such a good opinion of Yakubu to be honest, I never said that. I was pointing out that him and Crouch in terms of being established Premier League players are not that much different. I found it laughable that you were ruling out Yakubu as an established Premier League player to suit what you were saying.

My opinion is that £10 Million is too much for Crouch. I would rather the money we spent on Dann was spent on Shane Long earlier in the window if I am honest, because I think he is the type of Striker we need, especially if we knew Samba was going nowhere.

So at the end of the window , I am happy more in the fact we did not spend big money, and big wages on the likes of Crouch and SWP and instead spent it on a highly rated and still young central defender like Dann. Just finishing on Crouch, i don't think it was a case of him being allowed to leave, He has not been wanted at Spurs by Redknapp for quite a while.

I am not really worried about Wolves and I agree I think they will have a much more comfortable survival season than they did last season. I remember at one point last season you said Birmingham had a much stronger squad than us and you didn't think they would go down.

I still think that there are still 4 teams I would feel confident of us finishing ahead of, and so survive again.
    I am not saying I am happy with that, I am certainly not, especially considering a manager like Hughes could work wonders with the squad we have now, but we are in a horrible position with the owners and management and their relationships and will have to live with it for now.

I'd find them hugely different. Crouch was playing PL football for the latter half of last season, unlike Yakubu. The season before last Crouch scored the goal against Man City which secured Champions League football for Spurs. Last season, as I've said, he was scoring the winner against Milan when Yakubu was playing the likes of Bristol City. Crouch played 29 Premier League games for Spurs last season.

My exact sentence was "Yakubu has been off form for a number of seasons so I don't think he can be described as established". I still stand by that. Yakubu was a top class striker until he injured his achilles tendon on the 30th November 2008. He then missed a year of football and hasn't been the same since. It depends on your opinion of the phrase "established Premier League player" but I don't think a striker who has been making mainly substitute appearances since November '08 and who spent the latter half of last season on loan at Leicester can be described as established PL. Not after the years he has missed and his recent form.

Quotes from Redknapp in June about Crouch going nowhere:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/peter-crouch-will-stay-at-spurs-says-harry-redknapp-2295141.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/09/peter-crouch-tottenham-harry-redknapp
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3628102/Harry-Redknapp-says-Peter-Crouch-is-staying-at-Tottenham.html

Redknapp has signed the player 3 times
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6728546.ece

Crouch allowed go because Adeyabor has been signed:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/30/sunderland-peter-crouch-spurs-deals

Peter Crouch was let leave Spurs for one reason and one reason alone: Emmanuel Adebayor.

I'm not disagreeing that Dann isn't a good signing. In the scheme of things, however, I am saying that the money could have been better spent. You disagree with me and then agree with me by saying we should have signed Long. In regards to Crouch and Sean Wright Phillips, I was making the point that established PL players were available and some of them should have been signed. The reason they cost larger fees and wages is because they are proven at this level. Wright Phillips could be a cracking addition for QPR if you ask me.

So you disagree with my point previously that Wolves made two good signings and have stablised the club but go on to say "I agree I think they will have a much more comfortable survival season than they did last season". So are you now agreeing or disagreeing? My argument is that Mick McCarthy and the template he's following would be the perfect strategy for Rovers. He's made key signings each season which strengthened the club. Tony Pulis has done the same. This craic of buying a few cheap, young, foreign imports isn't the answer for Blackburn, especially given the currecnt climate.

I still think there are arguments there that Birmingham did have a better squad. They had a very good goalkeeper, a solid back four, good midfielders in Larsson and Gardner. I'm still not sure where it went wrong for them to be honest, other than not having someone to put the chances away.

I'd also disagree re the creative players on the pitch. Formica may come good but other than Dunn, I don't think we've a creative force like QPR have with Taraabt or Blackpool had with Charlie Adam. David Dunn could be that but he spends too long on the treatment table.

I'd find them hugely different. Crouch was playing PL football for the latter half of last season, unlike Yakubu. The season before last Crouch scored the goal against Man City which secured Champions League football for Spurs. Last season, as I've said, he was scoring the winner against Milan when Yakubu was playing the likes of Bristol City. Crouch played 29 Premier League games for Spurs last season.

My exact sentence was "Yakubu has been off form for a number of seasons so I don't think he can be described as established". I still stand by that. Yakubu was a top class striker until he injured his achilles tendon on the 30th November 2008. He then missed a year of football and hasn't been the same since. It depends on your opinion of the phrase "established Premier League player" but I don't think a striker who has been making mainly substitute appearances since November '08 and who spent the latter half of last season on loan at Leicester can be described as established PL. Not after the years he has missed and his recent form.

Quotes from Redknapp in June about Crouch going nowhere:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/peter-crouch-will-stay-at-spurs-says-harry-redknapp-2295141.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/09/peter-crouch-tottenham-harry-redknapp
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3628102/Harry-Redknapp-says-Peter-Crouch-is-staying-at-Tottenham.html

Redknapp has signed the player 3 times
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6728546.ece

Crouch allowed go because Adeyabor has been signed:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/30/sunderland-peter-crouch-spurs-deals

Peter Crouch was let leave Spurs for one reason and one reason alone: Emmanuel Adebayor.

I'm not disagreeing that Dann isn't a good signing. In the scheme of things, however, I am saying that the money could have been better spent. You disagree with me and then agree with me by saying we should have signed Long. In regards to Crouch and Sean Wright Phillips, I was making the point that established PL players were available and some of them should have been signed. The reason they cost larger fees and wages is because they are proven at this level. Wright Phillips could be a cracking addition for QPR if you ask me.

So you disagree with my point previously that Wolves made two good signings and have stablised the club but go on to say "I agree I think they will have a much more comfortable survival season than they did last season". So are you now agreeing or disagreeing? My argument is that Mick McCarthy and the template he's following would be the perfect strategy for Rovers. He's made key signings each season which strengthened the club. Tony Pulis has done the same. This craic of buying a few cheap, young, foreign imports isn't the answer for Blackburn, especially given the currecnt climate.

I still think there are arguments there that Birmingham did have a better squad. They had a very good goalkeeper, a solid back four, good midfielders in Larsson and Gardner. I'm still not sure where it went wrong for them to be honest, other than not having someone to put the chances away.

I'd also disagree re the creative players on the pitch. Formica may come good but other than Dunn, I don't think we've a creative force like QPR have with Taraabt or Blackpool had with Charlie Adam. David Dunn could be that but he spends too long on the treatment table.

My point all along has been, that you ruled Yakubu out of being "an established Premier League player" to suit what you were saying about Wolves, in order to be able to use it against Kean and Venky's. My definition and yours must differ, as I would say he is an established Premier League player, not to worry anyways - I don't want to keep going on about it.

I never wanted to compare the two players ability wise or form wise, I only wanted to point out that i found it laughable that you can call one established and not the other. Established for me is about been there and done that, as opposed to never playing in the Premier League before like Goodwillie.

As for Crouch, in my opinion he was not going to get game time at Spurs this season, The signing of Adebayor pushed him further down the pecking order and is much the same as being forced out for me. Spurs were never going to reject that sort of money for him, they could have had £40 million for Modric according to Harry so I don't think it was a case of them needing the money.

As for the Wolves thing, the last i'll say on that is the results and standings after 3 games cannot be used as a measure of a club stabilising.

As for Blackburn, I have always said, in the past 4 windows I'm sure that my priority would be a certain type of striker. I think we have enough creativity in the likes of Hoilett, Pedersen, Olsson, Dunn and Formica. I'm hoping to see more of Olsson being used as a left midfielder now we have Dann. Maybe we don't have the type of player that Adam or Taarbat is, but I think we have enough creativity on the wings.

My point about the money we spent, in retrospect was that if we knew Samba was staying, I would rather we would have spent that £7 million on Long who was available and fits the need for me, than Dann. If however it was between SWP or Crouch v Dann - I would have chosen Dann all day long.

Anyways moving on to the match at the weekend, what would be your starting line up against Fulham?

I'd like to see Goodwillie given a go from the start up front, I like what I have seen of him so far. For me I would go with the team i listed a few pages back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And why couldn't Givet do that? Olsson is a fine left back so Givet isn't needed there.

Would you disagree then that a midfielder or striker were needed more than a defender?

You said you'd give your opinion on the transfer activities when the window was closed so what's your opinion on the 17.7 million or so Rovers have spent?

we desperately needed cover in defense and Dann is a great signing. Hanley isn't up to it yet, you could clearly see that in the first 2 games this season. one for the future, but not for the now. Givet - Samba - Dann - xxxxx.

Olsson can play as an attacking midfielder and with Givet on the left, we can now move him up the park. We definitely don't need anymore midfielders and if we're going to get more, then we need to ship out some more. We have an abundance of midfielders now. With Goodwille, formica and Yakubu we have a decent strikeforce.

The problem for our team isn't necessarily the quality of our squad, it's the quality of our manager. The line-up he started with last weekend against Everton almost made me cry and when the forced substitutions kicked in, he finally had close to the team he should have started with. With those 3 forwards, roberts shouldn't make first team football for a long time and the sooner kean realises that, the better.

oh and as regards the xxxx in my defensive line-up, Salgado is really starting to lack for pace now on the right hand-side. A rightback would have been a great signing to pick up during the transfer window. If anywhere, we definitely needed some cover there.

As regards the vukcevic sledging in an earlier post over his team losing to wales, He looked very lively in that game and showed great skill. I'm not concerned

• Advertisement

w A rightback would have been a great signing to pick up during the transfer window. If anywhere, we definitely needed some cover there.

You bought one. Called Ribero.

You bought one. Called Ribero.

Forgot all about him, heh.

form.png

I think now we could boast something like

Robinson

Salgado - Dann - Samba - Givet

Rochina/Dunn - Vukcevic/Hoilett - Petrovic/Nzonzi - Olsson/Pedersen

Goodwillie - Formica

My point all along has been, that you ruled Yakubu out of being "an established Premier League player" to suit what you were saying about Wolves, in order to be able to use it against Kean and Venky's. My definition and yours must differ, as I would say he is an established Premier League player, not to worry anyways - I don't want to keep going on about it.

I never wanted to compare the two players ability wise or form wise, I only wanted to point out that i found it laughable that you can call one established and not the other. Established for me is about been there and done that, as opposed to never playing in the Premier League before like Goodwillie.

As for Crouch, in my opinion he was not going to get game time at Spurs this season, The signing of Adebayor pushed him further down the pecking order and is much the same as being forced out for me. Spurs were never going to reject that sort of money for him, they could have had £40 million for Modric according to Harry so I don't think it was a case of them needing the money.

As for the Wolves thing, the last i'll say on that is the results and standings after 3 games cannot be used as a measure of a club stabilising.

As for Blackburn, I have always said, in the past 4 windows I'm sure that my priority would be a certain type of striker. I think we have enough creativity in the likes of Hoilett, Pedersen, Olsson, Dunn and Formica. I'm hoping to see more of Olsson being used as a left midfielder now we have Dann. Maybe we don't have the type of player that Adam or Taarbat is, but I think we have enough creativity on the wings.

My point about the money we spent, in retrospect was that if we knew Samba was staying, I would rather we would have spent that £7 million on Long who was available and fits the need for me, than Dann. If however it was between SWP or Crouch v Dann - I would have chosen Dann all day long.

Anyways moving on to the match at the weekend, what would be your starting line up against Fulham?

I'd like to see Goodwillie given a go from the start up front, I like what I have seen of him so far. For me I would go with the team i listed a few pages back.

It appears our understanding is different as I'd see an established PL player as a player who is still performing or has performed recently in the Premier League. Yakubu hasn't performed in three seasons. Just like I wouldn't call Benjani an established PL player, I wouldn't call Yakubu one. Yes, these lads have been there and done that but not for a number of seasons/years. You said you don't want to keeping going on about it yet you go on to state that "I only wanted to point out that i found it laughable that you can call one established and not the other". Again, I'll state my understanding of being an established PL player is someone who is still performing or has performed recently in the Premier League. In that regard, Crouch and Yakubu are worlds apart as I have pointed out to you on numerous occasions.

Yes, Crouch was not going to get game time. I have agreed with you there. Crouch was not going to get game time though because Spurs signed Adebayor, who it could be argued is one of the top strikers in Europe on his day. He is a player who is worth 20 million to 30 million and there are few players like him out there. He spent half of last season at Real Madrid and performed well there. There's no shame in being knocked down the pecking order by Adebayor IMO. As for comparing it to the Modric situation, Spurs do need cash to invest in the club. Hence Harry has let players like Jenas and Hutton leave. He could not afford to let Crouch leave until he had Adebayor. He has said that in the links I posted despite you stating Harry has wanted rid of him for a while which I have shown to be totally untrue. Modric was kept because he is integral to their game. No point letting him go for 40 million when you can't replace him for that. Crouch has been replaced by Adebayor though so Spurs could afford to let him go and the fact that clubs like Stoke, Sunderland and QPR were after him for 10 million shows he is in demand. I don't think he would have been let go had Adebayor not been signed and that is reflected in Harry's comments in June.

I'm beginning to wonder are you the master of contradicting yourself. You state in one post that you expect Wolves to be alot more solid this season, as do I, yet you then go on to state "As for the Wolves thing, the last i'll say on that is the results and standings after 3 games cannot be used as a measure of a club stabilising". So which is it? You either agree that Wolves will be more solid or you don't think 3 games can be used as a measure of a club stabilising itself?

Hoilett is performing well as a left winger so I don't see the need for Olsson to move there. In fact, we have an abundance of riches on the left wing with Olsson and Hoilett. If Kean wanted to sign a defender, he should have signed a right back. Yes, he signed an unknown Brazilian on a free but, as with the message I've been trying to beat home, established players are needed.

I would have chosen Crouch above Dann. It's clear we need some creativity up front and a player who can bring others into the game. Crouch could have held up the ball for the likes of Hoilett, Formica, Olsson and Dunn coming forward. We have plenty of pace to get players quickly up the pitch on the counter. We also have plenty of players capable of getting crosses into the box for Crouch. Our problem last season was not scoring goals rather than conceding them IMO.

My starting line up vs Fulham:

Salgado/Ribeiro - Dann - Samba - Olsson
    N'Zonzi - Pedersen - Petrovic/Grella
    Hoilett - Formica
    Goodwillie

I'd love for Salgado to be dropped but I'm not sure about Ribeiro either. Salgado should probably be kept there for an away game and Ribeiro tried in some cup games or maybe coming on in a game where we are winning (if that ever happens anytime soon) to gauge if he is up to it.
    Other than that, I think we should be going for three holding midfielders as we are away with Petrovic getting a chance if he's up to it. Hoilett and Formica can then play behind the striker. I still think the lineup shows Dann was not needed. Givet is left on the bench because I can't justify dropping Hoilett or Olsson on the left.

What team did you list a few pages back?

I'm beginning to wonder are you the master of contradicting yourself. You state in one post that you expect Wolves to be alot more solid this season, as do I, yet you then go on to state "As for the Wolves thing, the last i'll say on that is the results and standings after 3 games cannot be used as a measure of a club stabilising". So which is it? You either agree that Wolves will be more solid or you don't think 3 games can be used as a measure of a club stabilising itself?

I don't remember stating Wolves would be more solid this season. I said they would have a more comfortable survival season, not because they have improved that much - but because I think there are 3 teams that in the long run that I think will finish below them, those clubs being Norwich, Swansea and Wigan.

I have not contradicted myself at all,I believe they will have a more comfortable survival season that will see them not going into the last game with a chance of going down.

I still firmly believe that 3 games at the beginning of this season cannot be used to measure how much a club has stabilised.

I can't get the team I posted on this, as am on my phone, but I'd like to see 3 centre backs, with Olsson and Salgado playing as wing backs. Mainly I want to see Goodwillie starting up front, with Formica and Hoilett either side of him. I watched the Scotland game last night and was impressed with his movement, turn of pace, touch and close control. He is by far the best option up front when we us Hoilett wide, where I still think he is better right now.

This weekend's game is huge. Next game is against Arsenal and I can't see us getting anything out of it so at least a point is needed this weekend. Anything less and we could be going into the sixth game of the season without a point to our name.

Jol is a terrible manager IMO (not quite as bad as Kean) and Fulham are there for the taking, even at Craven Cottage. They have only scored one goal so far this year so not much of a threat going forward either (unless Ruiz changes that).

Nedum Onuoha didnt make the Man City 25 man squad - we should move to sign him on loan for the season, he would be fantastic cover, especially for right back.

He did...

Also PL clubs can't loan anymore.

He did...

Also PL clubs can't loan anymore.

I stand corrected. You be a great signing though.

• Advertisement

Well first point on the board today, but lucky to hang on for it, and makes for no better reading when looking at the table.

Points to consider from the game:

Salgado is a major liability, once again, in defence and attack.

Givet had a mare at left back, but was solid when switched to the centre.

Kean refused to take off a clearly injured Goodwillie for some reason, and instead took off the lively Rochina to bring on Lowe - stuff like that is unforgivable.

Petrovic is some way off being a Premier League player, he was sluggish and static for most of his time on the pitch, he has failed to impress me at all so far which is worrying.

Hoilett was not his usual self, and also looked to be carrying an injury from half time onwards, eventually being stretchered off after a nasty clash of heads.

Dunn off injured again, but still our best creative central midfielder when he is on the pitch.

Samba off injured at Half time, did not look too obvious, so hopefully a precautionary one - but I doubt it considering Kean was giving no precaution to Goodwillie or Hoilett.

Apart from one nearly very costly mistake, Dann looked very good. Good to see him shouting orders and organising those around him.

N'Zonzi had a good game and looks to be getting back to form.

Robinson made some good saves, and kept us in it as usual.

Arsenal at home, followed by a tough trip to Newcastle and then hosting a free scoring Man City, so things don't look like getting any better soon.

To be fair, Rochina picked up a calf problem and that was why he was taken off. Roberts was out warming up very early on when it appeared goodwillie had a problem, but he obviously must have been alright to continue. I'd imagine he would have come off if Rochina hadn't picked up the problem.

Salgado's pace or lack there of is obviously a problem, but he's not getting nay help from the winger infront of him. Hoillett didn't do enough tracking back for me today, Formica the same on the other wing.

I completely agree about Petrovic though, he looked very poor when he came on, at one stage he couldn't make a simple 10 yard pass right in front of him.

I was happy enough with how we played today to be honest, its my first time seeing us play this season and we looked decent. One or 2 hairy moments at the back alright, but we craved Fulham opened on a number of occasions and we really should have had at least 3 goals.

Again we were quite unlucky with injuries today, and obviously Goodwillie needed a break but wasn't able to get it, but even carrying a bit of a knock he impressed me with his hard work.

I'm dreading the city game though!

jrochie wrote: »
    To be fair, Rochina picked up a calf problem and that was why he was taken off. Roberts was out warming up very early on when it appeared goodwillie had a problem, but he obviously must have been alright to continue. I'd imagine he would have come off if Rochina hadn't picked up the problem.

Salgado's pace or lack there of is obviously a problem, but he's not getting nay help from the winger infront of him. Hoillett didn't do enough tracking back for me today, Formica the same on the other wing.

I completely agree about Petrovic though, he looked very poor when he came on, at one stage he couldn't make a simple 10 yard pass right in front of him.

I was happy enough with how we played today to be honest, its my first time seeing us play this season and we looked decent. One or 2 hairy moments at the back alright, but we craved Fulham opened on a number of occasions and we really should have had at least 3 goals.

Again we were quite unlucky with injuries today, and obviously Goodwillie needed a break but wasn't able to get it, but even carrying a bit of a knock he impressed me with his hard work.

I'm dreading the city game though!

Yeah I didn't know Rochina was injured at the time, nothing mentioned about it on the stream I was watching, so will cut some slack for Kean there. I still think bringing on Lowe was criminal though - I'm all for giving young lads a chance, but I think we still had a good chance to win it. That was Kean settling for a point, and blatantly letting Fulham know.

We played very well first half, but second we suffered, mainly due to forced changes once again.

I like what I have seen of Goodwillie, he is very hard working and will come good, his overhead effort was a good one. I think himself and Hoilett were not fully fit either which did not help with him tracking back.

Salgado would still be a major concern for me even with decent cover in front of him.

Petrovic cannot be put into a game against the likes of Arsenal or City on the form he has shown.

Real lack of leadership on and off the field. Fulham were there for the taking. After our goal we just needed someone to settle us down and get to half time with the lead. Fulham werent playing well and the crowd was on their backs. Disappointed but not surprised by the management from the sidelines and in the end we were lucky to hang on.
    There seems to be a lack of urgency about the players.

Trouble continues at the club:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9249822.Blackburn_Rovers_fans_set_to_protest_against_Kean_before_Arsenal_clash/?ref=mr

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9251351.Venky_s_in_plea_to_Blackburn_Rovers_fans/?ref=mc

I would have taken a point away to Fulham at the beginning of the season. However, considering how Fulham are playing and my opinion that Jol is a terribly overrated manager, there's no doubt that the three points were there for the taking, had the team a capable manager.

I think Pauly D said it correctly on the match thread, Kean is just a cheap yes man who will peddle whatever the owners tell him. Reminds me of Steve Staunton when he got the Ireland job. At least Staunton was a top player though.

Why Martin Olsson was left on the bench is beyond me. He's one of our brightest prospects. The fact he was just highlighted my fact that the signging of Dann was not required. The signing of big name a right back, midfielder or striker would have been far more apt.

Apparently a poll showed that 81% of fans now want Kean gone. I don't think he'll be able to hold on much longer. He's now gone to the desperation of fielding and risking injured players because the squad isso threadbare.

This protest that supposed to happen Saturday is not going to help at all. What are we going to gain from it? Kean gets the sack? Doubt it will happen but even if it does what good will it be?

What decent, sane-minded manager is going to take the job?

• Advertisement

This protest that supposed to happen Saturday is not going to help at all. What are we going to gain from it? Kean gets the sack? Doubt it will happen but even if it does what good will it be?

Well IMO at least the supporters are doing something.

No point sitting back and watching the club fall into the abyss. Relegation to the Championship is looking more of a certainty day by day and game by game.

And plenty of clubs over the years have disappeared down into the Championship and then into League One.

I don't know what good will come of it but a stand needs to be taken. The good work that Jack Walker did in the 90s is being destroyed.

Decent sane minded managers will always take jobs if the financial conditions were right and the owners managable. At the end of the day its a premier league team. There are only a couple of games gone.

Dann very good today.

after watching that all i can say is holy crap! hard fought but i think deserved win, 2 goals for Yakubu and a great performance. heart was in my mouth for a good half hour, Robinson pulled out some life saving stops again, although his kick outs in the second half were disastrous!

I don't care how poor Arsenal are, thats still a fantastic win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Well done on your victory today. A disgruntled Gooner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement