Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn Rovers Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2021/2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Shocking defending again costs us a goal,

Way too easy for QPR,

Kean looks to have picked the team on height today, and is hoping for something from set pieces,

Tactically clueless going forward at the moment, another defeat looms.

Lowe only in the team for set piece deliveries I think, but it has worked,

Great header from Samba to bring it back level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

my stream died after the first half, how's the play in the second half ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Poor enough result last weekend. QPR were there for the taking and I haven't a clue what the defence and Robinson were at for the goal.

We look totally clueless at the back. It's plain for all to see that Kean is a tactical novice.

That said, I find it hard to believe that we are this many games into the season and one win could still lift us out of relegation. If anything, that is helping Kean's situation. I really wish he'd just do like Ricky Sbragia at Sunderland years ago and admit he's not up to the managing job and step back into a coaching role or something.

Spurs this weekend and if the defence continue playing like they are, Adebayor, VdV and Defoe will rip us apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Lemlin wrote: »
    Poor enough result last weekend. QPR were there for the taking and I haven't a clue what the defence and Robinson were at for the goal.

We look totally clueless at the back. It's plain for all to see that Kean is a tactical novice.

That said, I find it hard to believe that we are this many games into the season and one win could still lift us out of relegation. If anything, that is helping Kean's situation. I really wish he'd just do like Ricky Sbragia at Sunderland years ago and admit he's not up to the managing job and step back into a coaching role or something.

Spurs this weekend and if the defence continue playing like they are, Adebayor, VdV and Defoe will rip us apart.

Yep could be a tricky one for ye at the weekend if yer defence isn't at the races. Tottenham have the potential to score 4 or 5 if they're given room to play.

I've a feeling this weekend could spark the end for Kean.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Yep could be a tricky one for ye at the weekend if yer defence isn't at the races. Tottenham have the potential to score 4 or 5 if they're given room to play.

I've a feeling this weekend could spark the end for Kean.

I'm not so sure. In fairness, few would expect us to beat Spurs, even at home. I think he'll be given the away game against Norwich next weekend and the Carling Cup tie during the week at least.

3 points at the moment would lift the team to 12th so I'm sure the owners aren't that worried yet. The next two home games are Spurs and Chelsea so that is not going to be easy.

That said, until the rest of the pack start to pull away, Kean will be safe IMO.

Another inevitable loss at the weekend. Huge cup game for Kean against Newcastle this week but I can't see us getting anything.

Sven Goran Eriksson is available now. From what I remember of him managing at City, I think he has links to Kentaro.

At this stage, I can only hope he's drafted in, even if it's as a director of football. He's forgotten more about football tactics than Kean will ever know.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I am no Sven fan but Kean has'nt the experience and we are nearly into Novemember. Sven generally likes cash and Venkys dont seem to like spending it. You would imagine that Sven + a new backroom team would dramatically increase the wages alone.

The way it is under Kean is that you dont expect anything from the Spurs game. Under Sam we would fancy something from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Depending on line ups, it will be a good chance to see if Kean has learned anything from the abysmal game at Newcastle,

I would like to see Vukcevic, Goodwillie and Rochina all get a decent run out tonight. I'd also like to see Bruno Ribeiro given a full game tonight and not have some makeshift defense with Lowe having to feature in it.

• Advertisement

bburnewc.png

Looks like Lowe is being asked to be a defender again tonight, no need for him with Pedersen in the line up for set piece deliveries. Unless Ribiero is injured of course but i have heard nothing.

No Vukcevic in the starting line-up, I'd rather Hoilett got a rest to be honest. I suppose it looks like two up front so I am happy enough with that part of things.

Decent result tonight. Newcastle put out a fairly good team and looks like we're going to end up winning 2-0. Newcastle had at least 6 regular first team players in that line-up.

Decent result tonight. Newcastle put out a fairly good team and looks like we're going to end up winning 2-0. Newcastle had at least 6 regular first team players in that line-up.

You were saying. . . .

2-0 up and seemingly comfortable, Newcastle have 2 shots on target in the whole game scoring from both in 90+3 and 90+6 . . .

Time for Kean to do the honest thing, whether we win or lose this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

3-2:D

Pen Newcastle.

:D

Phil Thompson is a langer.

3-3

Sounds like a great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Sounds like sacked in the morning me hopes

4-3 now Givet scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thank fuck for that!

• Advertisement

Game over and Blackburn are through to the next round,

Very lucky to be,

The stats are a bit scary with Newcastle having 70% of the possession, and scoring 3 times out of 4 shots on target.

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Paully D wrote: »
    1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Obsession at it's finest...

Game over and Blackburn are through to the next round,

Very lucky to be,

The stats are a bit scary with Newcastle having 70% of the possession, and scoring 3 times out of 4 shots on target.

Shows how tactically clueless Kean is. To let 2 goals in during injury time is a farce. He then goes on about the players showing their spirit. Now we'll lose to Norwich at the weekend and he'll say the players were tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Well done on the result lads. Some game.

Nice to see Paully D emerging once again for a Carling Cup tie. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This result can only be bad news for the club though, you need a total horror show to get rid of Kean.

mike65 wrote: »
    This result can only be bad news for the club though, you need a total horror show to get rid of Kean.

I'm still hoping they'll approach Eriksen and try to say they are bringing him in as a director of football or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm still hoping they'll approach Eriksen and try to say they are bringing him in as a director of football or something.
    That would be making things even worse(if thats possible!) imo.

eagle eye wrote: »
    That would be making things even worse(if thats possible!) imo.

How exactly would bringing in an internationally renowed manager who has been managing 30 years in four different countries make things worse?

I think we have 15 decent players who could match any of the other average sides in the PL. Would you disagree?

Therefore its clear the problem is the manager and his tactics.

Eriksson has been harshly criticised for not winning a World Cup or Euros with England. I think McClaren and Capello have since shown that it appears he didn't do all that badly.

• Advertisement

I think the issue with Blackburn is fundamentally the management on and off the field.

I think any manager with experience would make a difference. The appointment alone of an experienced manager would probably raise the players heads and games without doing any tinkering with the squad.

Its tough when a new inexperienced young manager doesnt get the time to prove he can do it but the stakes are to high in the premiership. I think it is unfair that managers dont get more time to turn thinks around but maybe its wrong for inexperienced managers to take on jobs as big a the premiership when they have no management record at any level and limited coached experience.

The longer Kean stays in charge the closer Rovers move towards relegation. I doubt there will be great sympathy for Kean if he got the bullet given the manner in which he got the job especially in the English Sam friendly media. Kean probably is/has been favourite to be first manager sacked since the season began. He looks the sort who would spill his guts to the media on the operations of the club if sacked.

Common thought seems to say he will go and then pressure will be on the owners to get the right guy as they may only have one chance to make an apointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I think we have 15 decent players who could match any of the other average sides in the PL. Would you disagree?

IMO, of your First Team squad:

Players who fit this statement

1. Paul Robinson
    2. Martin Olsson
    3. Christopher Samba
    4. Gaël Givet
    5. Ryan Nelsen
    6. David Dunn
    7. Mauro Formica
    8. Vince Grella <---When he's not injured
    9. Morten Gamst Pedersen
    10. Steven N'Zonzi
    11. Scott Dann
    12. Rubén Rochina
    13. David Hoilett
    14. Yakubu
    15. David Goodwillie
    16. Simon Vukčević
    17. Jason Lowe

Players who've not played enough for me to make a statement
    1. Radosav Petrović
    2. Bruno Ribeiro
    3. Grant Hanley
    4. Mark Bunn

Young players who don't count
    1. Myles Anderson
    2. Josh Morris
    3. Zac Aley
    4. Adam Henley
    5. Jordan Slew
    6. Nick Blackman

Players who aren't good enough
    1. Míchel Salgado
    2. Jason Roberts

This is my POV. Ye who are fans may have a different view.

How exactly would bringing in an internationally renowed manager who has been managing 30 years in four different countries make things worse?

Therefore its clear the problem is the manager and his tactics.

Eriksson has been harshly criticised for not winning a World Cup or Euros with England. I think McClaren and Capello have since shown that it appears he didn't do all that badly.

I agree with you completely on this, I'd jump at the chance of getting Eriksson in, but only if the owners are that intent on keeping Kean, which from all i can read they are. The appointment of Clement being a tell tale sign of this.

For me we have an excellent pool of players, and a manager with Eriksson's experience could work wonders with this team in relation to how they are performing now.

Kean really doesn't have a clue, I was all on for giving the man time, as I would be with any appointment. However Kean has continually shown he is not learning from his mistakes, and he has had plenty of those to learn from.

Today is a massive game, and I am nervous as fook. Norwich have the potential to turn us over comprehensively given the morale in the two clubs. My only positive I'm drawing on is that they have not kept a clean sheet at all this season.

I think the performance of Norwich, as with Blackpool last season shows the importance of morale. Norwich have only lost 3 games, only one of those being a game they would have expected anything from.

Blackburn are entering our make or break season period as regards relegation and morale could well be our undoing. We are coming into the "easy" patch of our season, Chelsea at home and Stoke away being the only games in the next 8 where I wouldn't be expecting us to be in with a decent shout of 3 points.

This brings us up to the most difficult Christmas period I can remember where we play Liverpool and Man Utd. If we sit where we are now when we come out the other side, we haven't a hope of staying up no matter who we appoint if the Owners eventually do decide to swallow their pride, admit to their mistakes and get rid of Kean.

Started bright against Norwich,

but Norwich nearly scored with their first attack, clinincal move with our defense watching the ball rather than the late runners,

Givet and Pedersen have just had a nasty clash of heads going for the same ball.

Half time 1-0 Blackburn

Get in Hoilett!!!! rocket into the top corner, I was just going to say we are relying too much on him, brilliant strike, brilliant!

Norwich playing really well, Blackburn having some good possession and playing some nice passing and movement. Rochina is having a great game so far, pure class on the ball and a great eye for a pass, set a super pass through to Yakubu who missed woefully. Rochina also had a great strike just wide of the post.

If Formica had a bit more pace he would be a much better player, that is all he lacks.

Ruddy was very close to carrying the ball over the line from a Pedersen free kick, didn't get to see an in-line replay, but it was very very close.

Pedersen has been terrible, his delivery has been very very poor, even his throw in's are struggling to find Blackburn players.

Norwich having great fun down their left, Lowe being exposed for the right back that he is not, thank god Holt is not playing with the quality of crosses that they are swinging in.

Hasn't took Norwich long to get back in it, Rochina gives the ball away, then the defense once again gets drawn to the ball when there were plenty to defend it, leaving Morison free on the edge of the area to smash it into the net as it comes back out to him.

1-1

Norwich unlucky not to have a penalty, Olsson I think it was looked to block a shot with his hand, all happened so quick which saved Blackburn if it does turn out to have been hand ball.

EDIT:

Blackburn respond well and playing some really nice stuff after the Norwich goal, Yakubu makes up for his earlier miss by scoring from range when Ruddy really should have done better! 2-1 now

Holt looks like he is warming up for Norwich.

• Advertisement

3-1 now, Samba with a nice header from a rare good delivery from a Pedersen free-kick,

can we hold onto a 2 goal lead now?

Squeaky bum time now,

a horrible deflection leaves Robinson helpless as it loops over him and into the net,

about 10 mins including stoppage to go.

Penalty to Norwich, never a penalty in my book, joke of a decision,

Holt scores and it is 3-3

2 goal lead thrown away for the 2nd match in a row,

fcuking disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

3-1 now, Samba with a nice header from a rare good delivery from a Pedersen free-kick,

can we hold onto a 2 goal lead now?

way to jinx it :p

That would have been a big win as well as a draw leaves Blackburn in the bottom 3.

A 2 goal lead thrown away for the second game in a row. Just serves to show how tactially inept Kean is. The team shoud be able to close out a 2 goal lead against a newly promoted side.

Even Lambert has admitted it shouldn't have been a penalty but that's little comfort now. I've said it before re Kean - you make your own luck in football and he won't make any for Blackburn.

• Advertisement

Things getting worrying now. That gap I've spoke about is starting to open. Wolves are now the only team above us that we can catch with 3 points. A 4 point gap has opened up to 16th place.

Tbh, I would see Wolves and Bolton as two decent enough sides fit to move out of trouble so I'm very worried about Rovers. Wigan are goners. Should have gone last season.

Chelsea next week is going to be hard. They've just lost two so are going to be out to make a statement.

The team played really well on Saturday, I'm confident that we can get a string of decent results before christmas that will keep us in touch - but we will still be in for a hard slog come the new year.

Whatever you say about making your own luck in football, it was cruel on the players on Saturday, 2 deflections leading to Norwich's 2nd and that joke of a penalty for the equaliser.

Rochina needs to be starting every game now, he is the creative spark in the team at the moment. We need someone down the right to have more balance to our play, we are always looking towards Hoilett which becomes a bit predictable after a while. We are easily exposed down the right too no matter who we play at right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Rovers need their luck to change rapidly and I'm hoping the result on Saturday against Norwich will give them the confidence and motivation to win out future games. With Chelsea on a bit of a downer at the moment, I have a feeling Rovers will get the three points out of this one!

wrmwit wrote: »
    Rovers need their luck to change rapidly and I'm hoping the result on Saturday against Norwich will give them the confidence and motivation to win out future games. With Chelsea on a bit of a downer at the moment, I have a feeling Rovers will get the three points out of this one!

Or they could be out to make a statement and run riot....

The Norwich result was scandolous, to be winning a game buy two goals against a newly promoted side with limits Norwich have is just shocking. All these dropped points are adding up.

Chelsea will have to be shocking for us to get anything from them. They were down to 9 against a QPR at home, a team we couldnt beat, and Chelsea still dominated the game.

6 wins now in 32 games for Kean. That's a terrible record. How can the owners state that his position is not untenable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Losing at home to Wolves and Everton are the only two unexpected results this season if you ask me. There's nothing wrong with drawing away to Norwich after getting stung with a dodgy penalty nor is losing at home to Chelsea after being unlucky. And they played some nice football in both games.

You seem to have been stung the last few games with away games coupled with hard home games. He needs a few more games to prove that the team is starting to click.

Unfortunately the next two games are away so I expect more Kean out shtick. I'd accept even 1 point from away games to Wigan and Stoke. After this there's home games against Swansea, West Brom and Bolton. After the Bolton game on the 20th of December is when I'd judge him ultimately as the fixtures will have evened out somewhat by that point.

The team have been playing nice football, but Blackpool will tell you it doesn't matter too much if it doesn't get you enough points,

I think we have the squad to play nice football and get the results with an experienced manager at the helm, Kean has had his time, he is not learning from his mistakes quick enough.

Wigan away next, and it is a massive massive game, bottom of the table clash, the importance of which should mean that if we don't win it Kean has to get the boot.

Was it just me who thought Kean had been crying when doing his Match of the Day interview? I feel sorry for him to be honest.

6 wins now in 32 games for Kean. That's a terrible record. How can the owners state that his position is not untenable?

Kean is still in the job because the owners know that he'll do what he tells them.

Unless you're after an Avram Grant, Paul Hart etc type manager then I have a feeling you'll be disappointed if Kean is ever replaced. There's not too many managers willing to be yes men that are a much of an improvement and with Venky's in charge a yes man is all you'll get IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement