Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to pay babysitter

Options
  • 18-06-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

My neighbour is looking to get into baby sitting, she is 14 and is trustworthy, but what is a fair hourly wage to offer ? I would just want her to look after my one child of under 1 years old for a few hours of an evening now and again.

Edit : Area :- Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved from work/jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

When we go out (very rarely!) we pay our babysitter about €20 for the evening. We have a 21 month old & a 4.5 yr old, and the sitter starts around 6:30 & is done by 11. The kids can go down as soon as we leave (even though the sitter usually plays with them for a couple hours) and then she's free to sit on the couch & watch a movie.

OP - your case would be different, in that your child is much younger (therefore may need more attention/care). If you think the 14-yr old sitter would be able to handle whatever may arise then ok. I would imagine at least €5/hr would be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

A 14 year old to mind a 1 year old :confused:

I'd think about that if I were you.

But the going rate for sitters is 8euro an hour around my way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Her mum will be next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

we only need one for 1 and a half hours when my partner and I has a shift overlap at work..

20 euro. Easy money for the sitter, but I could not send her away with any less ..

I guessing min wage for a night during the weekend though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I babysit I get 20 euro for about 4-5 hours generally. I babysit nights, so for the majority of the time I'm just watching tv! Paying any more is mad imo, unless you have mental kids who will have the babysitter run ragged :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

When I used to babysit I got between €25 - €50 depending on the family I babysat for...

The last time I babysat was when I was 6 months pregnant with my first :o I don't have to pay a babysitter because my mam or my partners mam will do it for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm nearly 18 with roughly 5 years experience and I charge 6E per hour before midnight and 9E after, but then I'm fairly inexpensive, most of the time I'm not really doing much work unless there are a lot of kids or theres a small baby involved so I'd feel guilty charging more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I generally get paid around 10 an hour, for evening time babysitting, In saying that, I've never actually set a price per hour, I originally began looking after my neighbours kids when I was 15 and then they recommended me to friends/family and now I have 6/7 families that I babysit for on a regular basis and the people who recommended me have just told the new people what they pay me and so everyone pretty much pays me the same. However, I'm not really the normal babysitter that's out there. I'm nearly 22 and have been babysitting for families for over 6 years now, so a lot of experience. I've training in infant and child first aid, 2 of the families I babysit for have children who have problems with their bowels and bladders, or children with learning and physical disabilities, 2 of my families call me 'the kid whisperer' cause I apparently have a way with crazy kids to calm them down :pac:. Also, I babysit for 3 school-going kids at a time for the most part, so I help with homework and prepare dinner and/or tea. I think I more than earn 10/hour.

I'd be wary leaving a 14 year old with a 1 year old, I know when I was 14 I wouldn't have been comfortable with a child that young. I think it really depends on how much work she is doing during the course of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I've posted elsewhere that the minimum wage for an unexperienced worker under 18 is €5:36 per hour. I'd imagine that any 14 year old would be delighted with that. Some 14 year olds are very mature and responsible and if her mam is next door, I can't see a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement