Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Montreal Bird of Prey ID

• 18-06-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So I am in Montreal at the moment on hols and keep seeing v.large birds of prey soaring/circling about the city and local hill/mountain. I got a (poor) snap of one yesterday and it should be here http://twitpic.com/5deb56

They are pretty big, deffo bigger than a large crow etc, and they are awfully good at soaring.

They are very dark in colour from what I see, certainly darker than most BOP I have seen.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Clearpreso wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I am in Montreal at the moment on hols and keep seeing v.large birds of prey soaring/circling about the city and local hill/mountain. I got a (poor) snap of one yesterday and it should be here http://twitpic.com/5deb56

They are pretty big, deffo bigger than a large crow etc, and they are awfully good at soaring.

They are very dark in colour from what I see, certainly darker than most BOP I have seen.

Any thoughts?
    Educated guess, but I think I might be correct:
    Juvenile broad winged hawk. During the summer they moult the outer primaries creating a translucent panel, as you can see well from your photo.
    Here's one I photographed in Costa Rica.
    costarica2008312.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Cool, thanks for the input, the only thing that is confusing me is the darkness of the birds I am seeing, although from a distance, and depending on the light I guess things can look a bit different than they do up close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Clearpreso wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the input, the only thing that is confusing me is the darkness of the birds I am seeing, although from a distance, and depending on the light I guess things can look a bit different than they do up close.
    You get different colour morphs with Broad winged hawk. Some can be almost black and others almost white on underparts.
    All North American hawks are extremely variable in colour. To confuse the matter Americans call their buzzard (Buteo species) Hawks. The Broad winged hawk is a buzzard species not a true hawk species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mi91

i've seen those at midday on the 6th of july
    at about 10 meters from the ground at 'Place de la Cité' (Prince-Arthur / Park ave)..
    Some guys were working on the building so i
    guessed they must have upset one mother..)

and they were also dark from below.. (reddish brown.. . )

Red-tailed hawk ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

I saw them when I was on top of Mont Royal, but also when I was downtown they were soaring around buildings.

They were really really dark though, I saw red tailed hawks in Utah, but these looked pretty much black to me, might have just been the lighting or whatever.

Great sight to see anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Tchernobill

Hi, I,m from Montreal. They are Peregrine Falcon, they have they nests on the tallest buildings of downtown, the city placed them there cause pigeon are candies to them :D

Advertisement