Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

stokes doesnt deserve to be on the pitch today,, hes probably gonna go and score now to make me look silly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

There's a lot of them coasting, bound to happen with the title nearly in the bag. He should give an opportunity to McGeogh. Is Paddy McCourt still around?

He's bringing on Ki, that wont help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Eirebear wrote: »
    Come on, give him credit where it's due - not a semi-colon in sight!

And the silence is deafening.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    And the silence is deafening.
    silence from other celtic fans? i dont think the average celtic fan is represented here

SAMMMMYYY

• Advertisement

Nice 1, handy goal for Sammy there. Stokes went off in a bit of a huff.

Silence from the club.

As for Stokes: I read that he came out against Lennon regarding his comments on the refs, but that could have been an April 1st joke :)

yeah stokes needs a few words in his ear i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

He's bringing on Ki, that wont help.

Nah he never made much of a difference :)

• Advertisement

Wonder if Lennon will have a go at this ref, for denying St. Johnstone a penalty :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Another step to the title which should come next week against Kilmarnock. Celtic fans will swell Rugby Park with the game live on ESPN as well. Looked like Stokes was throwing his toys out of the pram when he was hooked.

Nice touch for Stan

Loved this bit of banter from Lennon on twitter

mws4xx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Nice reply from Lennon :D

Great to see the crowd get behind Stan.

He really should wait with that kind of stuff until his team actually are able to qualify for Europe :)

Is it really him btw, or someone who does it for him ?
    Because, funny as it may be, I still think managers (no matter the team) should be above stuff like that.

He really should wait with that kind of stuff until his team actually are able to qualify for Europe :)

Because, funny as it may be, I still think managers (no matter the team) should be above stuff like that.

Fact is Celtic will be in the qualifying rounds and Rangers won't.

It is him btw. I suppose there's no dignity being on Twitter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Fecks sake, he's a football manager not the pope:rolleyes::)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Missed the game today - I see Lustig started, how did he get on? First half sounds to have been a bit flat. Delighted for Samaras with his goal and assist (is an assist an assist when it's an OG? :) ). Hopefully after this season the doubters will finally have seen enough decent performances from Sammy to quit giving him stick.

1 point away from the title lads, it'll be worth the wait. ;)

As for Lenny - personally I don't think he should entertain WUMs on his Twitter account. I follow Lenny'd tweets and he's great on it actually, so I think he should just ignore the WUMs. That said, I don't see any issue with his reply - my only concern would be if some clown sees him replying and keeps at him, and starts the whole sectarian crap off again.

Loved the Petrov shirts on Lenny and the others, nice touch for the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

LOL, your club doesnt even have a licence for Europe.

Dempsey wrote: »

Really ? Gee, I must have missed that, thanks for explaining that to me.

Enjoy 'Europe', I know who my money will be on during your away games :cool:

Put those bets on and show us the betting slips when the time comes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Put those bets on and show us the betting slips when the time comes :)

And share the money with us, we are always nice to you ;)

now now love thy neighbour and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Don't waste ur money on bets, donate to ur club there going to need it next year! That €10 will cover one of ur new star players weekly wage :)

But that's the good part, bet on any of Celtic's away games for the home team to win, and I can donate more money :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Fact is Celtic will be in the qualifying rounds and Rangers won't.

It is him btw. I suppose there's no dignity being on Twitter :rolleyes:
    The real money only comes about if you get into the proper group games. I doubt Celtic will manage to do that to be honest. Although we will see in time I suppose. A few signings would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

But that's the good part, bet on any of Celtic's away games for the home team to win, and I can donate more money :p
    All the same 9 home pts should see em through

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The real money only comes about if you get into the proper group games. I doubt Celtic will manage to do that to be honest. Although we will see in time I suppose. A few signings would be required.
    you see you doubt that where as I KNOW rangers wont be in the group games. Theres still hope for the impending champions of scotland. :D < also love how this smilie is green

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

bloated squad, three right backs, 4/5 players that can play left back, new centre half coming in, over loaded in midfield... hopefully Lenny can sort this out in the off season.

Ideally work with 3 GKS (Forster, Zaluska, Cervi), RB (Matthews and Mark Wilson - would place him above Lustig) LB (Izzy - can play Mulgrew or Ledley here also, scrap Blackman) CB - Rogne, Mulgrew, Fozut, plus I would buy another centre half.

Midfield is where the problems are though I think, the likes of McCourt, Juarez, McGinn etc will probably need to be offloaded. As for Samaras, it is hard to know whether to play him on the left or up front. I would like to see the purchase of a new striker as well, someone who brings something different.

Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Ladjacket wrote: »
    bloated squad, three right backs, 4/5 players that can play left back, new centre half coming in, over loaded in midfield... hopefully Lenny can sort this out in the off season.

Ideally work with 3 GKS (Forster, Zaluska, Cervi), RB (Matthews and Mark Wilson - would place him above Lustig) LB (Izzy - can play Mulgrew or Ledley here also, scrap Blackman) CB - Rogne, Mulgrew, Fozut, plus I would buy another centre half.

Midfield is where the problems are though I think, the likes of McCourt, Juarez, McGinn etc will probably need to be offloaded. As for Samaras, it is hard to know whether to play him on the left or up front. I would like to see the purchase of a new striker as well, someone who brings something different.

Any opinions?

First priority for me should be to sign Forster up permanently then a striker, Hooper and Stokes have done quite well this season but I think we need someone better if we are to make inroads in Europe.

At RB I think Wilson's contract is up in the summer so I expect him to leave along with Cha. Lustig as backup to Matthews is fine by me.

At LB we need to give Izzy some game time till the end of the season and as you said we've plenty of players to fill in there.

CB you left Kelvin Wilson out not sure if that was meant but I haven't been overly impressed with him, can't see him leaving either. Rogne & Mulgrew are the best partnership at the moment but I'd like to see a more experienced CB signed if possible.

At CM I'm happy with the players we have and don't see any changes unless someone is sold, I'd like to see a wide player signed as noone seems to be able to push Samaras and Forrest for a starting place, Brown may play out there more when Kayal is back but unless Commons can find some form soon he should be out. As much as I don't like saying it McCourt is never going to make the required impact on a regular basis and should be gone.

As above I think we need more quality up front but our budget may not stretch to that. We have Bangura & Brozek at the moment but not convinced they're the quality required

Players Out
    Majstorovic
    Cha
    M. Wilson
    Loovens
    J. Thompson
    O'Dea
    Juarez
    McCourt
    Commons - possibily
    McGinn
    Daryl Murphy
    Rasmussen

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    First priority for me should be to sign Forster up permanently then a striker, Hooper and Stokes have done quite well this season but I think we need someone better if we are to make inroads in Europe.

At RB I think Wilson's contract is up in the summer so I expect him to leave along with Cha. Lustig as backup to Matthews is fine by me.

At LB we need to give Izzy some game time till the end of the season and as you said we've plenty of players to fill in there.

CB you left Kelvin Wilson out not sure if that was meant but I haven't been overly impressed with him, can't see him leaving either. Rogne & Mulgrew are the best partnership at the moment but I'd like to see a more experienced CB signed if possible.

At CM I'm happy with the players we have and don't see any changes unless someone is sold, I'd like to see a wide player signed as noone seems to be able to push Samaras and Forrest for a starting place, Brown may play out there more when Kayal is back but unless Commons can find some form soon he should be out. As much as I don't like saying it McCourt is never going to make the required impact on a regular basis and should be gone.

As above I think we need more quality up front but our budget may not stretch to that. We have Bangura & Brozek at the moment but not convinced they're the quality required

Players Out
    Majstorovic
    Cha
    M. Wilson
    Loovens
    J. Thompson
    O'Dea
    Juarez
    McCourt
    Commons - possibily
    McGinn
    Daryl Murphy
    Rasmussen

Forgot all about K.Wilson, maybe subconsciously I am thinking that if I forget him he will be gone! When you look at the amount of players that you mention as getting rid of, it shows how bloated our squad is, which a lot of which is to do with Mowbray, but then again Lenny has signed a lot of them too, Juarez, Murphy etc.

Agree about the striker for Europe although to be fair, Sammy was very good in the Europa League. We have a chance now to dominate in the league for a few years and this would mean we would make a bit of inroads in Europe, by which I mean make the group stages of the Champions League, given our dreadful run in Europe recently.

I think quite a few of the players I listed are out of contract in the summer so hopefully free up a chunk of our wage budget.

Lenny has spoken quite a bit about trying to get a better presence up front and I'm sure he'll be looking again for a Hartson/Sutton type player but we just won't have £5-6M to spend on one player so it'll probably be another £2M gamble. I'd like to see us get player like this that can hold his own up front physically, good at keeping the ball and providing for the rest of the team.

As much as I like Samaras I don't think he's suited to that, I prefer Samaras out wide where he has decent pace and can run at defences causing all sorts of problems, also takes the pressure off our defence which is vital in Europe.

It will be interesting to see what kind of money Lenny has to spend in the summer, I can't see the Rangers situation having any impact on us this soon but can't see the board wanting to sign players for decent money either($4-5m on one player), we have plenty of youth in the squad at present and I'd love to see them a bit of experience added.

I think quite a few of the players I listed are out of contract in the summer so hopefully free up a chunk of our wage budget.

Lenny has spoken quite a bit about trying to get a better presence up front and I'm sure he'll be looking again for a Hartson/Sutton type player but we just won't have £5-6M to spend on one player so it'll probably be another £2M gamble. I'd like to see us get player like this that can hold his own up front physically, good at keeping the ball and providing for the rest of the team.

As much as I like Samaras I don't think he's suited to that, I prefer Samaras out wide where he has decent pace and can run at defences causing all sorts of problems, also takes the pressure off our defence which is vital in Europe.

It will be interesting to see what kind of money Lenny has to spend in the summer, I can't see the Rangers situation having any impact on us this soon but can't see the board wanting to sign players for decent money either($4-5m on one player), we have plenty of youth in the squad at present and I'd love to see them a bit of experience added.

bang on, especially regarding the youth players, constantly hear about how good the youth team is so will be good when the league is won to get them a few games. Remember the O'Neill days when Jamie Smith, Maloney, Crainey etc were all brought through. Hopefully see some of this again.

Interesting to hear David Moyes on Goals on Sunday there at the weekend saying he would be in favour of getting Celtic and Rangers down to England, and also mentioned that he would like the Celtic job at some stage before he retires. Top man.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Agree with all that.

I see nobody mentioned Bangura..... ;)

PauloMN wrote: »
    Agree with all that.

I see nobody mentioned Bangura..... ;)

He got a mention earlier but it's better to keep quiet about quality players like him, don't want to be attracting the EPL scouts!

He got a mention earlier but it's better to keep quiet about quality players like him, don't want to be attracting the EPL scouts!
    "If possible, I could make the next step in one year - if everything goes well and the club is willing, why not?"

He should have kept his mouth shut I think, not only is his move to the EPL extremely unlikely but he managed to piss off the celtic fanbase before the ink was even dry on his contract

• Advertisement

Players Out
    Majstorovic
    Cha
    M. Wilson
    Loovens
    J. Thompson
    O'Dea
    Juarez
    McCourt
    Commons - possibily
    McGinn
    Daryl Murphy
    Rasmussen

I'd go along with that and add Bangura to the list.

I'd also add Ki to the list, particularly if we can get a decent price for him. I read somewhere Ki will not be available for the CL qualifiers because he'll be playing in the Olympics. He'd be no loss in my view.

Ki has a market value because he's Korean and his style is probably more suited to another league. I would cash in on him - especially if offered decent money - and spend it on a top striker.

A sizeable amount of our budget is tied up in this development squad project aswell. I think it was a mistake to end the reserve league but we need to adapt to the changes.

We should flog all the players nowhere near the first team, we should get the players that need first team football out on loan, bounce games behind closed doors only help players so much, and get the u19 players that have 'outgrown' u19 football out on loan aswell. We've far too many players stagnating because they arent being challenged in the u19 league or in bounce games with the development squad.

I'd go along with that and add Bangura to the list.

I'd also add Ki to the list, particularly if we can get a decent price for him. I read somewhere Ki will not be available for the CL qualifiers because he'll be playing in the Olympics. He'd be no loss in my view.

Ki has a market value because he's Korean and his style is probably more suited to another league. I would cash in on him - especially if offered decent money - and spend it on a top striker.

I like Ki, think he has a quality on the ball that we lack in other players but I'd agree he is not critical to the team so if a decent bid came in I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him leave.
    A sizeable amount of our budget is tied up in this development squad project aswell. I think it was a mistake to end the reserve league but we need to adapt to the changes.

We should flog all the players nowhere near the first team, we should get the players that need first team football out on loan, bounce games behind closed doors only help players so much, and get the u19 players that have 'outgrown' u19 football out on loan aswell. We've far too many players stagnating because they arent being challenged in the u19 league or in bounce games with the development squad.

I think the u19's involvement in the Next-Gen series is a step in the right direction, I'm not sure why Celtic haven't pushed harder to have a Celtic B team included in the scottish leagues, to me that is the best way of blooding the young players without the expectation levels around the first team squad. Also better for putting players like Rasmussen etc in the shop window even at first division standard.

When Ki came on on Sunday, Samaras was put up front through the middle and this is where the difference came I feel (as did Matthews coming on). He is great out wide and does the job from that position, but up front he can put the shift in, I just wish he done it more often.

I'd keep
    Forster, Mulgrew, Izzy, Matthews, Rogne, Broony, Joseph Patrick Aloysius Ledley, Hooper, Stokes, Sammy, Forrest, Big Vic for sure. I'd consider Ki, Commons, think Lustig could come good, have some belief in K Wilson and Andre Blackman. I always wanna see Paddy McCourt do well.

Looking forward to seeing some of the younger lads come through, such as McGeouch, Michael Miller, John Herron, Callum McGregor and Paul George. One I'd really have high hopes for is Curtis Jones, this lad is a belter.

Joseph Patrick Aloysius Ledley

:D

• Advertisement

When Ki came on on Sunday, Samaras was put up front through the middle and this is where the difference came I feel (as did Matthews coming on). He is great out wide and does the job from that position, but up front he can put the shift in, I just wish he done it more often.

Agreed he can do a job up there but this season he has looked happier and got more involved playing out wide, his confidence is growing and I think if he sticks out wide he can become a big player for us in the next few seasons.

I like Ki, think he has a quality on the ball that we lack in other players but I'd agree he is not critical to the team so if a decent bid came in I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him leave.

I'd sell him to Liverpool for 35 million:D.

Seriously, there was speculation that he could go for as much as 10 million at one time, due to his marketing value. If we got 6 million for him, and then spent the 6 million on a striker, that would be good business I reckon.

Seriously, there was speculation that he could go for as much as 10 million at one time, due to his marketing value. If we got 6 million for him, and then spent the 6 million on a striker, that would be good business I reckon.

No chance of us spending that amount on one player for a long time. It's not the way the club operates.

I'd be inclined to hold onto Ki but realistically if a anything over 6 million comes in then he is off.

I'd even consider selling them Bangura for that kind of money!

Fixtures for after the split announced
    Motherwell (A) 22/04
    Rangers (H) 29/04
    St Johnstone (H) 1945 03/05
    D/Utd (A) 1245 06/05
    Hearts (H) 1230 13/05

Just to throw in kick off times too
    Sunday, April 22
    Motherwell v Celtic
    Fir Park
    KO: 2pm

Sunday, April 29
    Celtic v Rangers
    Celtic Park
    KO: 12.45pm

Thursday, May 3
    Celtic v St Johnstone
    Celtic Park
    KO: 7.45pm

Sunday, May 6
    Dundee United v Celtic
    Tannadice
    KO: 12.45pm

Sunday, May 13
    Celtic v Hearts
    Celtic Park
    KO: 12.30pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17604881
    Scottish Premier League chairman Ralph Topping has claimed that two potential sponsors have pulled out because of recent events and bad publicity.

And he has urged the 10 non-Old Firm clubs to withdraw their attempt to change the voting structure, suggesting it is damaging its commercial future.

Three club chairmen have told BBC Scotland they have been angered by Topping's letter to the 10 clubs.

And they question whether the SPL's board can now be viewed as impartial.

This 'power struggle' looks like it will end in tears for everyone. I cant see Celtic or Rangers agreeing to changing the 11:1 voting system when you see the tactics that the other clubs are using.

Possible friendly between Villa and Celtic:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2012/04/04/aston-villa-eye-tribute-match-with-celtic-for-stricken-star-stilian-petrov-86908-23812735/

Great idea, funds to go to a leukaemia charity. Full house guaranteed, and would be a decent pre-season preparation game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

PauloMN wrote: »
    Possible friendly between Villa and Celtic:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2012/04/04/aston-villa-eye-tribute-match-with-celtic-for-stricken-star-stilian-petrov-86908-23812735/

Great idea, funds to go to a leukaemia charity. Full house guaranteed, and would be a decent pre-season preparation game.

Brilliant idea indeed. Stan will certainly appreciate it :)

Aberdeen v Celtic -Neil Simpsons testimonial supposedly confirmed !!!

24th May Pittodrie 7..45

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement