Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No I see Wanyama moving his arms down from his head and the ricocheted ball from Ledley hitting his arm. Never in a million years is that a legit penalty.

and from the refs position, I fail to see how he can see it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Ok Neil, you're absolutely right :pac:

He moves his arm down and hits the ball, clear as day.

And the reason the ref sees it is because he's looking STRAIGHT AT IT.

Afterwards he runs behind the Hearts player, but by then it's already happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the penalty here ?

Because it's as clear as day that it was the right call:

33lkq5k.gif

Read the rules regarding awarding a penalty for a handball then come back and debate your point.

Given that Keith is back then he might read this post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78108251&postcount=5834

TheBrewster, would you be as kind as to bring it to your his attention?:D

Read the rules regarding awarding a penalty for a handball then come back and debate your point.
    Definition
    A handball occurs if any player, other than the team's goalkeeper within his own penalty area, deliberately handles the ball when in play. A ball can be handled with any part of the arm, from the tips of a player's fingers right up to the shoulder.

I kind of knew that already though.

The ref deemed that Wanyama handled it on purpose, the way he moves his arm down makes it look like he did.

Any comment on the 100% clear offside equaliser by Celtic ?

Or do you want me to quote the rules regarding offside too ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

The ref deemed that Wanyama handled it on purpose, the way he moves his arm down makes it look like he did.

Perhaps you would be more up to date with the rules of administration.:pac:

Prehaps you would be more up to date with the rules of administration.:pac:

See, at least one of you doesn't get his panties in a bunch about it and can respond with a joke :D

Try reading this now. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78139875&postcount=57

By the way even if the ref did give the penalty for Wanyama's "handball" then he still fucjed up and didn't apply the rules properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I wonder if Lennon's latest antics will finally trigger that punishment that's been hanging over his head.

What? Assassination?
    If a bear, it indeed a fan of anyone other than Celtic, had come away with that remark you'd be venting all sorts if fury on them.
    Out of order dude.

Lennons Twitter comments are also ridiculous. Just been watching sportscene and they had him quoted as saying "i think its personal" in reference to decisions if late..Christ, even I'm getting embarrassed for him now!

The hearts fans with that banner? A football barring order must be the very least of their punishment. Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The Wanayama handball seemed to be missed by most at the time of incident. The ref has stated he gave penalty for 2nd hand ball. It is certainly much more of a penalty than Ledley's in my view but still it is harsh. However, when you miss chances like Ki and Stokes missed yesterday you only have yourselves to blame. Allied to fact that Hooper goal was indeed offside, Lenny's actions at end and subsequently on twitter were a disgrace. Last season Lenny served a couple of bans concurrently, it made a mockery of the justice system to be honest. This should not be allowed and I hope the SFA amended their rules since. I think hammering Lenny will be in the man's own best interests long term. Until a serious ban is dished out, Lenny will not change as he will see no reason to. He will think he can get away with the sort of behaviour we have seen over recent weeks. This is part of the problem. Sorting this out needs a twin approach in my view, the SFA need to grow a set and ensure an appropriate punishment, at the same time Lenny then needs to be afforded the help and support of Celtic to address this problem long term. Perhaps an anger management course would be a good starting point? Unless this is addressed we will all be having the very same discussion next season at some stage, there is no doubt whatsoever about this. The sad thing about this is that it continues to cloud what has been a very good start to his managerial career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Given that Keith is back then he might read this post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78108251&postcount=5834

TheBrewster, would you be as kind as to bring it to your his attention?:D

Has he not got back to you yet???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Has he not got back to you yet???

Must be waiting for delivery of his copy of this:

excuses.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

its 41.13 in pound sterling Keith if thats what the hold up is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

g1334585014710938200.jpg

I figured it out hes acting like rangers, not paying his debts. BUT... just think of the dignity ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Well as disappointed as I still am this morning after yesterday we are still champions and now it's Motherwell next up. I would imagine we will see some lineup changes with a view to next season and giving younger lads like McGeouch a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Brewster wrote: »
    The Wanayama handball seemed to be missed by most at the time of incident.

Looking at the .gif above, there's a Hearts player between the ref and Wanayama, I really can't see how the ref could see anything that clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's still been great season for Celtic though. The league is big one for Old Firm and anything else is bonus.

The Wanayama handball seemed to be missed by most at the time of incident. The ref has stated he gave penalty for 2nd hand ball. It is certainly much more of a penalty than Ledley's in my view but still it is harsh. However, when you miss chances like Ki and Stokes missed yesterday you only have yourselves to blame. Allied to fact that Hooper goal was indeed offside, Lenny's actions at end and subsequently on twitter were a disgrace. Last season Lenny served a couple of bans concurrently, it made a mockery of the justice system to be honest. This should not be allowed and I hope the SFA amended their rules since. I think hammering Lenny will be in the man's own best interests long term. Until a serious ban is dished out, Lenny will not change as he will see no reason to. He will think he can get away with the sort of behaviour we have seen over recent weeks. This is part of the problem. Sorting this out needs a twin approach in my view, the SFA need to grow a set and ensure an appropriate punishment, at the same time Lenny then needs to be afforded the help and support of Celtic to address this problem long term. Perhaps an anger management course would be a good starting point? Unless this is addressed we will all be having the very same discussion next season at some stage, there is no doubt whatsoever about this. The sad thing about this is that it continues to cloud what has been a very good start to his managerial career.

Of course your dignified hero walter smith would never behave like that would he??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Of course your dignified hero walter smith would never behave like that would he??

How many times compared to Lennon trying to compare the two is like comparing chalk and cheese I also don't remember WS saying the SFA were corrupt in public
    He never learns at this rate his ban should see him back on the bench in time for next Christmas

• Advertisement

Coillte, not sure what your point is here. Walter is clearly angry and as the commentator says " I don't think I have ever seen him so irate"... Every manager loses the rag now and again. Now without laughing, are you really trying to compare the behaviour of two managers? Lenny has an episode like Walter had in that clip most games! You are one of the most fair minded posters here, but you have let yourself down on this one.......Walter was a great manager and man, not quite hero status for me though!

How many times compared to Lennon trying to compare the two is like comparing chalk and cheese I also don't remember WS saying the SFA were corrupt in public
    He never learns at this rate his ban should see him back on the bench in time for next Christmas

I'm not too impressed with Lennon's behaviour tbh but Brwster is always going on about how he should be more like smith. Just pointing out that lennon isnt unique in behaving like this.

Coillte, not sure what your point is here. Walter is clearly angry and as the commentator says " I don't think I have ever seen him so irate"... Every manager loses the rag now and again. Now without laughing, are you really trying to compare the behaviour of two managers? Lenny has an episode like Walter had in that clip most games! You are one of the most fair minded posters here, but you have let yourself down on this one.......Walter was a great manager and man, not quite hero status for me though!

Right, no pint debating with you, complete exaggeration as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I don't recall the furore when Pressley done it less than 3 months ago. No Hugh Dallas saying it was bullying, no phone ins, no double page spreads

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16780152

https://twitter.com/#!/CelticResearch/status/191844298952683520/photo/1

I don't recall the furore when Pressley done it less than 3 months ago. No Hugh Dallas saying it was bullying, no phone ins, no double page spreads

There should have been but that's the Scottish media but tell how many times has Lennon done this now and how many more to come

I'm not too impressed with Lennon's behaviour tbh but Brwster is always going on about how he should be more like smith. Just pointing out that lennon isnt unique in behaving like this.

Coillte, eh to be fair, I may have mentioned this last season, I don't think I go on about on here as you are suggesting. So steady on here. If Lenny was looking for a role model, then Walter Smith wouldn't be a bad example to be fair.

Right, no pint debating with you, complete exaggeration as usual

Coillte, is it an exaggeration? From what i have seen and heard recently, Lenny loses the rag every time a decision is perceived to have gone against his team. Is this an exaggeration? Clearly I used an exclamation mark and my comment was tongue in cheek, however as Celtic win most of their matches one will never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its part and parcel of the game but its blown out of proportion because its Neil Lennon.

Bullying is a strong accusation from a man who was proven to be a bigot and who tried to influence (bully some might say) a footballing official to back up another referees lies. to say i have no respect for that mans opinion would be an understatement.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17733762

The Scottish FA is considering setting up a National Football League to replace the Scottish Premier League and the Scottish Football League.
    The governing body may act as frustration grows over the failure to agree new league structures.

The SPL has delayed a decision on proposed voting reform until 30 April, with the 10 non Old Firm clubs seeking change.

Should no agreement be reached then a new league is a possibility.

The prospect of a new Scottish National League was confirmed to BBC Scotland by three senior football figures.

I think the SFA need to step in now, I see no evidence that the clubs will act in the best interest of the game, which is just unbelievable! Fans are the lifeblood of the game, every club. I've reservations about what the SFA will actually do though, there is gombeens aplenty in there too. Implement the recommended changes that fans want, it couldnt be more simple. fúck what individual clubs want, fúck what sky want.

Dempsey wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17733762

The Scottish FA is considering setting up a National Football League to replace the Scottish Premier League and the Scottish Football League.

I think the SFA need to step in now, I see no evidence that the clubs will act in the best interest of the game, which is just unbelievable! Fans are the lifeblood of the game, every club. I've reservations about what the SFA will actually do though, there is gombeens aplenty in there too. Implement the recommended changes that fans want, it couldnt be more simple. fúck what individual clubs want, fúck what sky want.

I would love to agree with you but honestly I don't think the SFA could run a raffle. Just be the same suits with different names

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Potential 17 game ban for Lenny....
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2012/04/17/celtic-manager-neil-lennon-facing-17-game-ban-over-his-latest-run-in-with-referees-86908-23827340/

Knew this would be serious. Lenny needs to come up with a plan in how to deal with this kind of thing for future games, starting from now. He just has to improve his sideline behaviour. He went onto the pitch all guns blazing at the weekend when he knew he already had (3?) outstanding cases with the SFA for his behaviour.

I'm pretty annoyed with him over this tbh. One or two game you can cope with, but half a feckin' season???? He's messed up badly here imo, much as it pains me to say it, and has to take the responsibility for his actions. When this stuff starts affecting the club, that's when it becomes unacceptable.

Considering the ban dished out last season and the ban that Celtic got rescinded by throwing the SPL's own rules back at them this was expected. Lennon will have to learn the hard way.

In reality, he'll have a better view of the match and his tactical instruction will take 10 seconds longer to get sent in :D

In reality, he'll have a better view of the match and his tactical instruction will take 10 seconds longer to get sent in :D

He'll probably see even more contentious penalty decisions from up there! :) I'd hate to be sitting near him in the stand!

All joking aside, I'd love to see him stay on as manager and be successful, and I think he can be a success. He's got his first league under his belt now and will want more. But he definitely needs to assess his behaviour and how he handles certain situations, otherwise I honestly think we'd be better off without him. We can't have another season of him losing the rag all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Considering the ban dished out last season and the ban that Celtic got rescinded by throwing the SPL's own rules back at them this was expected. Lennon will have to learn the hard way.

Could the same rules be used this time round so that he serves the bans concurrently?
    PauloMN wrote: »
    He'll probably see even more contentious penalty decisions from up there! :) I'd hate to be sitting near him in the stand!

All joking aside, I'd love to see him stay on as manager and be successful, and I think he can be a success. He's got his first league under his belt now and will want more. But he definitely needs to assess his behaviour and how he handles certain situations, otherwise I honestly think we'd be better off without him. We can't have another season of him losing the rag all the time.

I think he made an effort earlier in the season to keep a lid on things but as the pressure mounts he obviously struggles to contain himself. It's something he needs to contain but I feel it is going to be his downfall.

PauloMN wrote: »

We should check if John Sitton is available :pac:

RoryMac wrote: »
    Could the same rules be used this time round so that he serves the bans concurrently?

The disciplinary rules were overhauled at the end of last season because of the holes Celtic punched through them last season. I dont think there is any loopholes to jump through.

thats a load of balls, this wont make him any happier with the authoritys hes only gonna do it again. I reckon a large fine resulting in a major earfull from the board would put him in his place better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Ladjacket wrote: »

Look who the purveyor of the so called information is. As far as I am concerned the Daily Record has been very much part of the anti Lennon brigade. This is just their latest attempt to try and put pressure on Lennon and get him to leave. Something which won't be happening.

The only thing that surprised me about the above article is that they didn't call for Lennon to get a life time ban and maybe a public flogging as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

eire4 wrote: »
    Look who the purveyor of the so called information is. As far as I am concerned the Daily Record has been very much part of the anti Lennon brigade. This is just their latest attempt to try and put pressure on Lennon and get him to leave. Something which won't be happening.

The only thing that surprised me about the above article is that they didn't call for Lennon to get a life time ban and maybe a public flogging as well!

In other words - eire4 think's it's personal.#
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

If were talking of the Daily Record, of course it's personal! Don't they just love a 'bad boy' and milk it for all it's worth when Lennon loses control. It sells newspapers and thats the bottom line(remember all the kefuffle about yer man Diouf most of the things said about him came from the DR and boy how they loved it - Celtic supporters too:))!

Now if you think the SFA or referees are out to get Lennon, I don't think so(what would be gained by that?), saying that though I am sure 'some' referees need a wee course in professionalism and neutrality;) Neil really has anger management issues and if his medication is 'off' he really should get it sorted(no one talks of this 'elephant in the room imo, or am I being less than tactfull here?):(

Madam wrote: »
    If were talking of the Daily Record, of course it's personal! Don't they just love a 'bad boy' and milk it for all it's worth when Lennon loses control. It sells newspapers and thats the bottom line(remember all the kefuffle about yer man Diouf most of the things said about him came from the DR and boy how they loved it - Celtic supporters too:))!

Now if you think the SFA or referees are out to get Lennon, I don't think so(what would be gained by that?), saying that though I am sure 'some' referees need a wee course in professionalism and neutrality;) Neil really has anger management issues and if his medication is 'off' he really should get it sorted(no one talks of this 'elephant in the room imo, or am I being less than tactfull here?):(

I don't think it's personal it's just what rags like the Record do. As for referees professionalism your right about that but the neutrality bit well a lot on both sides would say that, though I disagree they are just garbage IMO

thats a load of balls, this wont make him any happier with the authoritys hes only gonna do it again. I reckon a large fine resulting in a major earfull from the board would put him in his place better.

So one rule for other SPL managers, another for Lennon ?

If he's found guilty he just has to serve his ban.

No way they'll give him a 17 match ban though.
    I think if he gets one, it'll be around 5-6 (which is too less imo).

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/303876-celtics-anthony-stokes-banned-for-offensive-behaviour-after-scottish-cup-match/

Anthony Stokes can not appeal a one-match ban handed down by the Scottish Football Association following an incident at the end of the team’s cup defeat to Hearts last weekend.

Whatever about Stokes I think the rules are open to abuse by referees
    Players can appeal red cards for wrongful dismissal in four of the six eventualities they can be sent off for.

The Scottish FA's protocol states: "In very exceptional cases, where it can be demonstrated that an obvious refereeing error has occurred, a player or his club may submit to Fast Track Proceedings a claim of Wrongful Dismissal in respect of the following offences:

"Serious foul play; violent conduct; spitting at an opponent or any other person; or denying the opposing team or an opponent a goal or obvious goal scoring opportunity as defined by Law 12."

The sending off offence Stokes has been reported for, "offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures", is not covered and therefore can not be argued on a claim of wrongful dismissal.

They can send off a player without any accountability for their actions which I believe is wrong considering what happened last year. Maybe include an extra match ban or 2 for frivolous appeals but when you can effectively ban a player without any chance of appeal I believe it to be ethically wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Now that the season is over who do Celtic fans think we should buy over the summer to make sure we qualify for the CL Group stage?

We need a new striker who can hold the ball up when needed. If we ship out the deadwood and punt Ki for example for a few million, could we make a realistic bid for Kevin Doyle?

Wolves are going down and Doyle may become available and for less than what they paid for him, given that he hasn't had a good season. If he comes to Celtic, leading the line for Celtic in the CL could be what he needs to get his career back on track. If the deal is right I'd sign him before Euro 2012 kicks off.

One way or another, if we are serious about getting to the CL proper and making any sort of an impact, we need a new striker. Someone to play up front alone or perhaps in partnership with Hooper.

I like Stokes as a player, but he's not good enough for the CL and Samaras is best on the wing. We could possibly sell Samaras to fund a new striker or maybe two if needed. Samaras would fetch a decent fee from a European club. The CL Group Stage is a must for Celtic next season, we've got to make sure we get there.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/303876-celtics-anthony-stokes-banned-for-offensive-behaviour-after-scottish-cup-match/

Anthony Stokes can not appeal a one-match ban handed down by the Scottish Football Association following an incident at the end of the team’s cup defeat to Hearts last weekend.

Whatever about Stokes I think the rules are open to abuse by referees

They can send off a player without any accountability for their actions which I believe is wrong considering what happened last year. Maybe include an extra match ban or 2 for frivolous appeals but when you can effectively ban a player without any chance of appeal I believe it to be ethically wrong.

Agreed but the rules can't be changed during the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Now that the season is over who do Celtic fans think we should buy over the summer to make sure we qualify for the CL Group stage?

We need a new striker who can hold the ball up when needed. If we ship out the deadwood and punt Ki for example for a few million, could we make a realistic bid for Kevin Doyle?

Wolves are going down and Doyle may become available and for less than what they paid for him, given that he hasn't had a good season. If he comes to Celtic, leading the line for Celtic in the CL could be what he needs to get his career back on track. If the deal is right I'd sign him before Euro 2012 kicks off.

One way or another, if we are serious about getting to the CL proper and making any sort of an impact, we need a new striker. Someone to play up front alone or perhaps in partnership with Hooper.

I like Stokes as a player, but he's not good enough for the CL and Samaras is best on the wing. We could possibly sell Samaras to fund a new striker or maybe two if needed. Samaras would fetch a decent fee from a European club. The CL Group Stage is a must for Celtic next season, we've got to make sure we get there.

I'd be looking to get rid of all the deadwood. Loovens, Cha, Dan, M.Wilson, Rasmussen, O'Dea and there's plenty more.

Some of the above are out of contract. That's a big saving on wages. I'd look to bring in two or three players. A good centre half, an attacking midfielder and a striker.

I wouldn't go for Doyle. He would cost too much in wages and a fee. Plus I'm sure he would have plenty of options in the Premiership. There is a endless pool of players to be scouted abroad for great value. I wouldn't go near the EPL, the quality isn't great for what you're paying. See Caroll, Andy.

The Champions league is where Celtic need to be and it's definitely achievable. We should fear no team in the Champions route.

We've been crying out for a target man for several years now. Marc Antoine Fortune, Morten Rasmussen, Chris Killen, Daryl Murphy were all stink!! I wouldnt even consider Samaras a target man because he's afraid to header the ball!

I wouldnt touch Kevin Doyle with a bargepole, he's been out of form for a very long time now. I know Lennon said that Hibs wouldnt do business at the time but in hindsight we should made Hibs an offer they couldnt refuse for Steven Fletcher considering the amount of money wasted. The chances of getting him now are slim at best.
    Agreed but the rules can't be changed during the season

I didnt suggest that :rolleyes:

So one rule for other SPL managers, another for Lennon ?

If he's found guilty he just has to serve his ban.

No way they'll give him a 17 match ban though.
    I think if he gets one, it'll be around 5-6 (which is too less imo).
    Never said that, I just suggested a way to chill lennon out a bit that will actually work

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement