Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Dempsey wrote: »
    We've been crying out for a target man for several years now. Marc Antoine Fortune, Morten Rasmussen, Chris Killen, Daryl Murphy were all stink!! I wouldnt even consider Samaras a target man because he's afraid to header the ball!

I wouldnt touch Kevin Doyle with a bargepole, he's been out of form for a very long time now. I know Lennon said that Hibs wouldnt do business at the time but in hindsight we should made Hibs an offer they couldnt refuse for Steven Fletcher considering the amount of money wasted. The chances of getting him now are slim at best.

When O'Neill signed Sutton for 6 million a few years back people questioned the wisdom of paying big money for a player who had completely lost his form. Sutton came to Celtic after a 10 million move went pear shaped at Chelsea.

Kevin Doyle is no Chris Sutton, but he might not cost as much either. Doyle was a good player before he lost form and was tipped to sign for Arsenal at one stage. He lost his way a bit but he's still only 28. If the price was right I'd gamble on him, it could work out the way Sutton did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If you'd asked me a year ago about Kevin Doyle, I'd probably have jumped at the chance. Now I don't think so.

Here's what Charlie Nicholas (no sniggering at the back) thinks - some of which I agree with, some I don't:
    http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4262905/Time-for-Lenny-to-chop-his-champs.html

I do agree with the comments above about getting rid of the deadwood. These players out on loan etc., we have to look realistically at them and get rid if they won't feature in the plans. There's a good few that could be gotten rid of for sure.

I don't think either Stokes or Hooper have been at their best this season, but I'm not sure I'd want to get rid of either of them. We could do with another striker anyway. Sammy is best played wide, we need three first choice strikers to be in competition with each other, and Bangura doesn't look to be one of those. I suppose it all depends on whether good offers were to come in for either Stokes or Hooper. Same with Ki, I like him but a good offer could not be turned down, especially for a midfielder of which we have plenty.

I'd want a striker, and a proven CB at the very least. Rogne has been in good form and inspires more confidence than either Loovens or K. Wilson, either of whom I would not miss. I also want to know what's happening with Izzy because he was exceptional when he joined, and I can't believe he can have dipped that much since his injury. Would like to see him start the rest of the league games (assuming there's nothing else up with him).

Agree on the CL qualification, we have to put the last couple of years behind us and get into the groups. Being in the groups is brilliant for Celtic, it's worth a lot of cash, and if you do well in the home games, there's a really good chance of last 16. Like him or not, Strachan getting to the last 16 in the CL two seasons in a row was a brilliant achievement, and was great to watch as a Celtic fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Charlie Nicholas is only saying what everyone else has been saying since last summer. Its a very lazy piece of 'journalism'. His limited knowledge of whats going on at Celtic was shown up. Loovens is out of contract this summer, Jos Hooiveld is a Southampton player now & Darren O'Dea is out of contract aswell. Morten Rasmussen is back at the club and his agent scuttled a deal with Aalesund last month.

I agree that we need a striker that can play up front on his own and be effective. I dont think Hooper or Stokes can do that. Alot of work to be done by Celtic this summer. with the u20 league starting next year, the chances of a reserve league coming back is gone. Get rid of the development squad and starting working on loaning out players to bridge the gap between the youth and senior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/303876-celtics-anthony-stokes-banned-for-offensive-behaviour-after-scottish-cup-match/

Anthony Stokes can not appeal a one-match ban handed down by the Scottish Football Association following an incident at the end of the team’s cup defeat to Hearts last weekend.

Whatever about Stokes I think the rules are open to abuse by referees

They can send off a player without any accountability for their actions which I believe is wrong considering what happened last year. Maybe include an extra match ban or 2 for frivolous appeals but when you can effectively ban a player without any chance of appeal I believe it to be ethically wrong.

TBH I think it makes perfect sense not to be able to appeal a dismissal for offensive behaviour because at the end of the day its the referees word against the players and no new evidence can have come to light, so imo to allow appeals for such offenses would be undermining referees.

TBH I think it makes perfect sense not to be able to appeal a dismissal for offensive behaviour because at the end of the day its the referees word against the players and no new evidence can have come to light, so imo to allow appeals for such offenses would be undermining referees.

What happens if someone else is in earshot/sees the incident and is willing to go on the record against the referee's account of what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

We've been crying out for a target man for several years now. Marc Antoine Fortune, Morten Rasmussen, Chris Killen, Daryl Murphy were all stink!! I wouldnt even consider Samaras a target man because he's afraid to header the ball!

I wouldnt touch Kevin Doyle with a bargepole, he's been out of form for a very long time now. I know Lennon said that Hibs wouldnt do business at the time but in hindsight we should made Hibs an offer they couldnt refuse for Steven Fletcher considering the amount of money wasted. The chances of getting him now are slim at best.

I didnt suggest that :rolleyes:

I didn't say you did are you seeing things now you should seek help for that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What happens if someone else is in earshot/sees the incident and is willing to go on the record against the referee's account of what happened?

Would be opening a right can of worms there. What kind of people do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Players, managers, back room staff, police, stewards?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

been looking at other celtic forums and cannot believe how deluded some people are in relation to what happened last Sunday. People calling the season a failure because all we won was the league given how bad Rangers are.

Where are their heads?! A cup final v Kilmarnock where we were overwhelming favourites, it is not as if Killie would need much motivating for that! Having all the attention on the treble talk, Killie would have been dying to get tore into us. I play football and I know that when we have a big game against a big gun, we are well up for it and want to show that we are just as good. The same with the Hearts game.

I fail to see how we have a divine right to win every game the way that some of our fans see it. In any one game, you can get beat. It happens. Whilst the quality of the squad is the best in the country, you can still lose matches.

The league is where it is at, that is where you can qualify for the Champions League, not the league cup of Scottish Cup. These are great to win of course, but the league is the main priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Exactly. it would be ridiculous. Where would you draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Ladjacket wrote: »
    been looking at other celtic forums and cannot believe how deluded some people are in relation to what happened last Sunday. People calling the season a failure because all we won was the league given how bad Rangers are.

Where are their heads?! A cup final v Kilmarnock where we were overwhelming favourites, it is not as if Killie would need much motivating for that! Having all the attention on the treble talk, Killie would have been dying to get tore into us. I play football and I know that when we have a big game against a big gun, we are well up for it and want to show that we are just as good. The same with the Hearts game.

I fail to see how we have a divine right to win every game the way that some of our fans see it. In any one game, you can get beat. It happens. Whilst the quality of the squad is the best in the country, you can still lose matches.

The league is where it is at, that is where you can qualify for the Champions League, not the league cup of Scottish Cup. These are great to win of course, but the league is the main priority.

I think we lack a bit of mental strength in the team, something I hope can be helped by signing 1 or 2 experienced players. I think the treble talk got to some of the players and they lost a bit of focus, hopefully they have learnt a bit from the experience but as you said it's always a good season when you win the league.

Would be opening a right can of worms there. What kind of people do you mean?

Anyone that heard the conversation would be a good line.
    Ladjacket wrote: »

Some people convinced themselves that a a treble was there to be collected since Rangers were in trouble and that everyone else would roll over at the mere sight of Celtic walking onto the field. Maybe some of the Celtic players believed that themselves the way they performed.
    Exactly. it would be ridiculous. Where would you draw the line?

It is ridiculous to ban a player without any accountability whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

SPL Player of the Year candidates announced... and they're friggin hilarious!!!

Steven Davis is one of the players!!! HOW???

Only one Celtic player - Charlie Mulgrew.

The other two are Jon Daly and Dean Sheils.

Some shocking decisions there.

No Ledley or Wanyama?

And did I mention Steven Davis was nominated???!!!

Jon Daly deserves his nomination and so does Charlie Mulgrew but were Davis & Shiels really the two other outstanding performers in the league? :eek:

EDIT

PFA YPOTY

Gary Mackay-Steven
    Johnny Russell
    James Forrest
    Kenny McLean

I think Gary Mackay-Steven will win the YPOTY although I cant say I've seen alot of Kenny McLean

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

SPL Player of the Year candidates announced... and they're friggin hilarious!!!

Steven Davis is one of the players!!! HOW???

Only one Celtic player - Charlie Mulgrew.

The other two are Jon Daly and Dean Sheils.

Some shocking decisions there.

No Ledley or Wanyama?

And did I mention Steven Davis was nominated???!!!

He had a bad spell around new year, but picked himself up and has been bossing the midfield again, as he usually does :cool:

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    He had a bad spell around new year, but picked himself up and has been bossing the midfield again, as he usually does :cool:

Couldnt have been bossing that many midfields given how your season has turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

I don't agree with Davis being on it but he is in the lead with assists.

Obviously the other players thought these four deserved it.

My four would've been Mulgrew, Daly, Bocanegra and Skacel.

Mulgrew has it wrapped up anyway.

Two game ban for Lennon.

The charge at Ibrox cleared.

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Two game ban for Lennon.

2 match ban for the comments made about refereeing in the League Cup final and was cleared of the charge relating to the Ibrox match.

How many charges are left? :pac:

2 match ban for the comments made about refereeing in the League Cup final and was cleared of the charge relating to the Ibrox match.

How many charges are left? :pac:

Just the two, assuming he is getting charged for Sunday as he should do.

• Advertisement

There's still other charges that will be handled.

Brines and Murray had different stories, which is why he was cleared if I get that right.
    Surely refs who are not telling the truth should be fired ? :p

matt mcglone ‏ @MattMcGlone9
    An embarrassing day for the SFA, The linesman said Neil swore 4 times at the ref, the ref's report said he didn't swear

edit: Scratch that, he won't even be charged for his twitter comments, his comments regarding the ref before the St Johnstone game and for being sent to the stands against Rangers (which is normally an automatic 2 match ban, as shown by Paulo Sergio's dismissal against Killie).

And then he has the nerve to call it 'personal' ?

He wasnt cleared, he was found guilty with no further punishment.

SFA are ****ebags, a player sent off wouldn't get away with half a game punishment.

Referee & Linesman cant get their stories straight, not the 1st time this has happened in Lennon's tenure as Celtic manager and wont be the last either.

Has Vincent Lunny stated that he's not writing a letter to Lennon over his twitter comments?

Nothing's happened so far about them, so I can't see anything coming out of that now.

Amateur stuff from officials when they can't even determine what happened, shows again how crap the officials are in this country.

But of course they're only out to get Celtic.

This still in no way condones Lennon acting the way he does.

Nothing's happened so far about them, so I can't see anything coming out of that now.

There is a backlog of cases (according to the Daily Record), nothing is going to happen, re. SC semi final, until next week. Save your rant until then! :P

Amateur stuff from officials when they can't even determine what happened, shows again how crap the officials are in this country.

But of course they're only out to get Celtic.

This still in no way condones Lennon acting the way he does.

In there 17 match ban rant of an article, it was reported at the bottom of the article that the linesman & referee submitted conflicting reports, that was 2 days ago. Did they do a ninja edit or did nobody notice when they published the article? (I didnt notice because I didnt read it all) :confused:

As for the bolded, who said they are only out to get Celtic? They are out to get anyone that questions them or shows them up.

In there 17 match ban rant of an article, it was reported at the bottom of the article that the linesman & referee submitted conflicting reports, that was 2 days ago. Did they do a ninja edit or did nobody notice when they published the article? (I didnt notice because I didnt read it all) :confused:

As for the bolded, who said they are only out to get Celtic? They are out to get anyone that questions them or shows them up.

I never knew til tonight mate when I read it after BBE told me.

I've had plenty of Celtic fans tell me that. SFA are the most amateur organisation I've come across in world football in terms of professionalism.

I never knew til tonight mate when I read it after BBE told me.

I've had plenty of Celtic fans tell me that. SFA are the most amateur organisation I've come across in world football in terms of professionalism.

The SFA couldnt do anything because the referee & linesman were telling different stories, the case is a complete bust when that happens. But I agree with ya, the SFA are useless at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Telling different stories usually means one of them is lying. I wonder if Celtic took a deal to not rock the boat over that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

There's still other charges that will be handled.

Brines and Murray had different stories, which is why he was cleared if I get that right.
    Surely refs who are not telling the truth should be fired ? :p

matt mcglone ‏ @MattMcGlone9
    An embarrassing day for the SFA, The linesman said Neil swore 4 times at the ref, the ref's report said he didn't swear

edit: Scratch that, he won't even be charged for his twitter comments, his comments regarding the ref before the St Johnstone game and for being sent to the stands against Rangers (which is normally an automatic 2 match ban, as shown by Paulo Sergio's dismissal against Killie).

And then he has the nerve to call it 'personal' ?

refs who dont tell the truth should be fired, but then again if that happens they will probably strike again.

There is a backlog of cases (according to the Daily Record), nothing is going to happen, re. SC semi final, until next week. Save your rant until then! :P

Bookmarked this, you can be sure I'll look into this next week :D

mhsufd.jpg

My my, I wonder who.

Surely not somebody who's dad has been in the news before with regards to stuff like this ?
    Oh, wait, could it be... ?

@scubamcgax: @stoksey10 good night last night! Fair play to ye! Your souls cry out Remember!

@LinziHowieson: Unreal amazing night! Wee appearance from @stoksey10 definitely put a smile on my face! Also love this is my 1888th tweet! #ironic

@RebeccaCovx: @stoksey10 wee pic of u and my stepdad from last night in the hibs!! http://t.co/xfTAhzOA

My my, I wonder who.

Surely not somebody who's dad has been in the news before with regards to stuff like this ?

Nothing wrong with being an irish republican

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Rangers supporters seem to disagree.

No, apart from the fact that the 32CSM is seen as the political wing of the RIRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

mhsufd.jpg

My my, I wonder who.

@scubamcgax: @stoksey10 good night last night! Fair play to ye! Your souls cry out Remember!

@LinziHowieson: Unreal amazing night! Wee appearance from @stoksey10 definitely put a smile on my face! Also love this is my 1888th tweet! #ironic

@RebeccaCovx: @stoksey10 wee pic of u and my stepdad from last night in the hibs!! http://t.co/xfTAhzOA

Please tell us what is wrong here?

mhsufd.jpg

My my, I wonder who.

STOP PRESS!

Irishman supports Irish self-determination.

Time to get offended.

Ha, somehow I knew that would be the response.

So a senior player from Celtic attends an event, held to raise funds for the 32CSM, a group that has links to an outlawed paramilitary organisation.

That's all fine for you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

WTF:( If I did'nt know any better Jelle I'd be accusing you of trolling:rolleyes:

No, apart from the fact that the 32CSM is seen as the political wing of the RIRA.

Ah yes, all republican movements are only hiding that they are terrorists :rolleyes:

let go of the hatred man, inform yourself rather than attack anything and everything irish/republican

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Please tell us what is wrong here?

Jelle1880 is just disappointed there were no actual terrorists around for photo ops, ala David Healy.

If I were him, I'd be worrying more about whether I'd have a club to support come next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

So a senior player from Celtic attends an event, held to raise funds for the 32CSM, a group that has links to an outlawed paramilitary organisation.
    ?

The proof if you please?

Did Wikipedia tell you that?

That's all fine for you ?

This old nugget that all republican groups are aligned with illegal paramilitaries again.

Rangers player posing with convicted terrorist= no problem

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Jelle1880 is just disappointed there were no actual terrorists around for photo ops, ala David Healy.

If I were him, I'd be worrying more about whether I'd have a club to support come next week.

Glad you mentioned that, it shows the double standards about this.

bobmalooka: Don't try and make out that they're not linked :rolleyes:

edit: Holy ****balls, are you ****ing serious ?
    Are you really gonna try and deny that they are linked with the RIRA ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPz7yBNhdp4

Get this: I don't give a hoot if he went to a fundraiser for Sinn Fein or any other Irish Republican party/charity/...
    But this was held by a group of people that openly support a terrorist organisation, and that's all fine for you ?

they are linked....by people who want to discredit irish republicans movements.

Why? What sectarian drug dealing murderers did Stokes ask to pose for a picture with?

Provide a pic of that otherwise you're the one with double standards.

edit: Holy ****balls, are you ****ing serious ?
    Are you really gonna try and deny that they are linked with the RIRA ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPz7yBNhdp4

But you got offended first and then went looking for the 'proof' to justify it.

bobmalooka wrote: »
    they are linked....by people who want to discredit irish republicans movements.

So you're saying they're not linked ?

Ah well, shows the stunning hypocrisy here, it's all good for a Celtic player to appear at a fundraiser for the political wing of the RIRA, good to know :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement