Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hartson against Liverpool in the UEFA Cup run it was a screamer and the fact it shut alot of the EPL fanboys up aswell, so proud of the Hoops that night :D

I especially enjoyed the "men against boys" comments from Souness in that same campaign. 0-3 over two legs. Men against Bhoys more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Hartson against Liverpool in the UEFA Cup run it was a screamer and the fact it shut alot of the EPL fanboys up aswell, so proud of the Hoops that night :D

I remember Dunphy saying before the game that Hartson would be lucky to get a game in the phoenix park he was so out of shape, enjoyed watching him squirm after the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Some great ones mentioned, impossible to be there but Lions vs. Inter would have been special to witness in the flesh.

EDIT

Forster & Hooper will be fair pissed at that England Squad, they are better than several players listed

Dempsey wrote: »
    Forster & Hooper will be fair pissed at that England Squad, they are better than several players listed

I don't think todays squad announcement will help Lennon in his job to convince Forster to sign on at Celtic. When a league 2 keeper in named as standby ahead of a record breaking SPL keeper I think it shows how the league is viewed in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

RoryMac wrote: »
    I don't think todays squad announcement will help Lennon in his job to convince Forster to sign on at Celtic. When a league 2 keeper in named as standby ahead of a record breaking SPL keeper I think it shows how the league is viewed in England.

Was thinking the same, we need to secure champions league football to convince players to come (or stay).

We already cant compete money wise so we need that extra prestige that they cant get outside of the top 4 in England.

I'll be surprised if he signs a deal now tbh. The only thing now that we have to convince him is that he's never been involved in the England setup at underage level, even at Newcastle. If he managed to stay at Norwich that time and make all the improvements he did at Celtic, he'd easily be England no.2.

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Was thinking the same, we need to secure champions league football to convince players to come (or stay).

We already cant compete money wise so we need that extra prestige that they cant get outside of the top 4 in England.

I think it's mainly a problem with how the league is viewed in England rather than an overall problem. We've plenty of players being picked by their countries, even moving up the pecking order for them while playing for us but can't see many English players with genuine International hopes wanting to sign for us.

It's not the best market for signing players anyway but it will make it difficult to hold onto guys like Forster and Hooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I think it's mainly a problem with how the league is viewed in England rather than an overall problem. We've plenty of players being picked by their countries, even moving up the pecking order for them while playing for us but can't see many English players with genuine International hopes wanting to sign for us.

It's not the best market for signing players anyway but it will make it difficult to hold onto guys like Forster and Hooper

Forster hasn't made any indications at all that he is even interested in signing a contract and staying at Celtic Park and that was the case long before any squads were made public. Whereas Hooper has consistently indicated he is happy and staying at Celtic. As for players with genuine England international hopes. The insane prices that players like that are going for make those players a moot point. We simply are not in the market for them financially anyway.

eire4 wrote: »
    Forster hasn't made any indications at all that he is even interested in signing a contract and staying at Celtic Park and that was the case long before any squads were made public. Whereas Hooper has consistently indicated he is happy and staying at Celtic. As for players with genuine England international hopes. The insane prices that players like that are going for make those players a moot point. We simply are not in the market for them financially anyway.

he has actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

he has actually
    Glad to hear it, any direct quotes?

• Advertisement

Glad to hear it, any direct quotes?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76613488

I cannot get that whole interview and all the things he said but several papers ran with these quotes from the player since then that were from that same interview
    “I’m on loan here until the end of the season and Celtic have first option to sign me.

“But I’m happy leaving it until the summer.

“I’d rather just concentrate on football and we can sit down and sort everything else out in the summer.

“If you are playing well it helps. It strengthens your position in negotiations.

“But it’s important to play well and focus on the football and, most importantly, win the league.”

He has a very strong hand at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

PauloMN wrote: »
    Larsson chip in that game obviously up there too, as cool as you like. JVoH v Rangers also had me screaming my head off in the local!

I don't believe I ever celebrated any goal as much as that one, that was some game. Naka's goal in the first half was sublime...there was some fantastic goalkeeping from Cuellar too :P.

he has actually

He did? Missed that. That would be great news if he did sign a contract and stay at Celtic. I would be delighted with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I don't believe I ever celebrated any goal as much as that one, that was some game. Naka's goal in the first half was sublime...there was some fantastic goalkeeping from Cuellar too :P.

Strachan hadn't managed a win against them in a long time and to win it like that was unreal. I think Novo was winding up Aiden saying he was in his pocket, then McGeady ran straight to him when big Jan scored :)

For me it's Naka's free kick. I was drinking with a few Man United fans, made it all the sweeter. They still give out about Jarosik diving for the free kick but forget that Giggs took a dive to win a penalty in the first game. I suppose it's the same thing, a free kick from that distance was like a penalty to Shunsuke :D

wiwrgk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Strachan hadn't managed a win against them in a long time and to win it like that was unreal. I think Novo was winding up Aiden saying he was in his pocket, then McGeady ran straight to him when big Jan scored :)

For me it's Naka's free kick. I was drinking with a few Man United fans, made it all the sweeter. They still give out about Jarosik diving for the free kick but forget that Giggs took a dive to win a penalty in the first game. I suppose it's the same thing, a free kick from that distance was like a penalty to Shunsuke :D

wiwrgk.jpg

My mate Liam and I used to say that all the time... So much so actually that when there was a foul outside the box we'd call "Peno" .... It was funny at the time. Maybe ya had to be there? Ha

My mate Liam and I used to say that all the time... So much so actually that when there was a foul outside the box we'd call "Peno" .... It was funny at the time. Maybe ya had to be there? Ha

Nah you'd know Naka was gonna at least come close :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

ColeTrain wrote: »

wiwrgk.jpg

Great still of that. The look on Van Der Sar's face says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

James Mcfadden let go by Everton, we could do worse.

Badabing wrote: »

and we could do alot better. Seriously, what does he offer Celtic other than creating a job for a physio? Instant deadwood if Celtic signed him imo

I remember Brewster championing his cause when Everton snapped him up, trying to rub it in our faces. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

and we could do alot better. Seriously, what does he offer Celtic other than creating a job for a physio? Instant deadwood if Celtic signed him imo

I remember Brewster championing his cause when Everton snapped him up, trying to rub it in our faces. :rolleyes:

I hope Lenny doesn't take a punt with him. I'd imagine his wages are high and cant see him playing regurally.

Badabing wrote: »

No thanks. Constantly injured and we have better players at the club already. Would be a waste of wages IMHO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

No thanks. Constantly injured and we have better players at the club already. Would be a waste of wages IMHO.

He wont be getting anything like the wages he was on no matter where he goes seeing as he has been released by Everton, but yeah I wouldn't take him either he's too injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

He has done nothing in his second stint at Everton. Capable player when fit but realistically he is not going to be fit for long enough to make an impact. No need for him. A top forward and a top defender I'd like to see join and one or two others as well as ship the deadwood out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Craig Gordon released by Sunderland as nine players leave
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18128262

Worth a risk on cheap wages anyone?

If we keep Forster, no. If we cant keep Forster then maybe a contract heavily weighted on appearances/performance then he could be a good option.

I'm hoping for Forster, Zaluska, Thomson to be our 3 keepers next season.

• Advertisement

If we keep Forster, no. If we cant keep Forster then maybe a contract heavily weighted on appearances/performance then he could be a good option.

Exactly this!!... Forster is a better keeper IMO, and improving with every game.
    If we can't re-sign Forster then maybe Gordon could be an option but the terms I'd be hoping for would seriously have to weigh on Celtics favour. Perhaps for the first 12 month with a cancel contract clause after that, and if that wasn't enforced due to decent performances and staying injury free then a step up clause on his contract could bring him up to a more usual type contract.

I agree. Keeping Forster far and away should be option number 1. I would only be interested in Gordon if Forster doesn't sign a contract and even then it would need to be an apperance and incentive laden contract I would think. But hopefully it will all end up being a moot point and Forster will sign a long term deal.

Celtic playing Norwich City in a friendly at Carrow Road today. Should be a fun day out for the fans with both sets no doubt in good form with Celtic being champions and Norwich having had such a good showing in the epl after last seasons promotion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Celtic playing Norwich City in a friendly at Carrow Road today. Should be a fun day out for the fans with both sets no doubt in good form with Celtic being champions and Norwich having had such a good showing in the epl after last seasons promotion.

It's tomorrow - Tuesday May 22nd:
    http://celticfc.net/newsstory?item=2646

On Celtic TV as well, so there should be plenty of..... <cough> streams <cough>... available to view. :)

On a totally unrelated note, I was looking at the new away jerseys on the Celtic website - is it just me, or are they unbelievably expensive this time? £51 sterling? :eek:

http://celticsuperstore.co.uk/stores/celtic/products/kit_selector.aspx?selector=217&portal=G23SEPIM

On Celtic TV as well, so there should be plenty of..... <cough> streams <cough>... available to view. :)

On a totally unrelated note, I was looking at the new away jerseys on the Celtic website - is it just me, or are they unbelievably expensive this time? £51 sterling? :eek:

http://celticsuperstore.co.uk/stores/celtic/products/kit_selector.aspx?selector=217&portal=G23SEPIM

Well the club will have to make money somehow once Sky withdraws it's millions when the inevitable finally happens to Rangers ;).

Definitely pricey, annoying too as it is the first away jersey I have ever considered buying. Did I not see a picture a couple of weeks ago where it had green white and orange trimming on the sleeves though?

• Advertisement

You'd think buying stuff directly from the club would be one of the cheapest options but they usually are charging the most for stuff.

I want the Home and away short sleeve strips without the sponsors, anyone spot a place selling thats cheaper than there let me know. I'd appreciate it

New-Celtic-Away-Top-2012-2013.jpg

I knew I saw it, any reason why the online store version has the black sleeve?

In the jersey thread on here it was said that the trim on the arm folds back up for the green white & orange, think the arsenal kit has something similar

Well the club will have to make money somehow once Sky withdraws it's millions when the inevitable finally happens to Rangers ;).

Definitely pricey, annoying too as it is the first away jersey I have ever considered buying. Did I not see a picture a couple of weeks ago where it had green white and orange trimming on the sleeves though?

Fecks sake, if the shirts are going to cost that, we'll forgive Rangers. I'll even bin my jelly and ice cream. :)

I agree it's the nicest away shirt for a while and I'd like a sponsorless one also.... but £51 bills is mad money. 56 for the long sleeves which would be my pref. Crazy.

By the way lads did Keith ever settle his bet? Haven't heard a peep unless I missed it.

By the way lads did Keith ever settle his bet? Haven't heard a peep unless I missed it.

Seems like he's left the internet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18163957

Celtic will hold talks with Fraser Forster's agent in the next week in a bid to tie up the goalkeeper on a permanent contract.

So the agony will be drawn out until next week :( At least his agent is now answering Celtic's calls! :mad:

Seems like he's left the internet

And the Internet is a better place as a result...

Fecks sake, if the shirts are going to cost that, we'll forgive Rangers. I'll even bin my jelly and ice cream. :)

I agree it's the nicest away shirt for a while and I'd like a sponsorless one also.... but £51 bills is mad money. 56 for the long sleeves which would be my pref. Crazy.

all jerseys are generally gone up in price, euro2012 ones are selling for 70-75 sheets.

Maybe we cant blame this one on Rangers. :D

bobmalooka wrote: »
    all jerseys are generally gone up in price, euro2012 ones are selling for 70-75 sheets.

Maybe we cant blame this one on Rangers. :D

Celtic Store in Dublin will be selling it for €60 ... That's legalised robbery! Ha

Also, sponsorless shirts have to be pre-ordered in store and will take an extra week after the release date to arrive.

Celtic Store in Dublin will be selling it for €60 ... That's legalised robbery! Ha

Also, sponsorless shirts have to be pre-ordered in store and will take an extra week after the release date to arrive.

What is the release date?

• Advertisement

I prefer the sponsorless ones myself so I will wait. Wish we didn't have our kit made by Nike though. Such poor quality. But I imagine they make a lot of money off our deal so we are probably stuck with their substandard quality for some time to come.

Team vs Norwich

Celtic team: Forster; McGeouch, K. Wilson, Findlay, Blackman; Ibrahim, McCourt, Commons; Watt, Hooper, Stokes (LB)

Very attack minded team!

Its a testimonial match, its the way to have them! I hope it finishes 11-10 or something!

Hopefully Celtic fans will be singing the praises of Forster for 90 mins, make it tough as possible for him to walk away from Celtic. Quiet a few players that need to be giving Lennon something to think about.

What is the release date?

31st June for sponsored and 5th July for sponsorless (but must be preordered in store beforehand)

1-0 Norwich after half an hour.

McGeouch seems to be playing right back and McCourt as a defensive midfielder :D 4,000 Celtic fans there, all in fine voice as usual.

Tis a mad lineup alright, I still think the players out there could up it a gear or two though.

We tired badly in the 2nd half, alot of players just wanted the match to be over after 70 minutes. Lacking energy in midfield and you're never going to get that from McCourt, Ibrahim and Commons in a 3 man midfield tbh. I felt brainwashed by commentary, it was like they were on a 5 minute loop!

Lennon told STV before the game that the club have also started contract talks with Hoopers agent.

Celtic have been ranked among the 50 top clubs globally in terms of brand value, making 37th place.

http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/top-50-football-club-brands-2012

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Celtic have been ranked among the 50 top clubs globally in terms of brand value, making 37th place.

http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/top-50-football-club-brands-2012

Stoke City nr. 42 :eek:

Also bit of a fail :pac:

535804_359622574091579_112625488791290_949785_1919704873_n.jpg

Didn't he wear nr. 14 ? ;)

• Advertisement

He wore No. 10 when he did this:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement