Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Apparently Celtic are trying to sign Simon Cox from WBA.

Whether it would be a good deal or not would all depends on the fee & wages. Could turn out to be a very shrewd piece of business. Lennon has also admitted interest in Henriksen but a deal looks unlikely at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

He wore No. 10 when he did this:

And nr. 14 when he did this :pac:

Soon enough, youtube videos is all ye'll have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Hello everyone,

Great title for the Bhoys. I hope Lenny's here to stay for the long term. He's built an exciting young side which is capable of playing some very good football. Hopefully Lennon can tie Hooper down for a new contract as well.

I'm sorry my first post in here is asking for a favour but is there anyone in here on the huddleboard that would be able to refer me? It says the only way to sign up is an existing member of more than 1500 posts to refer you. The username you have to put down is Gaillimh90.

Come on my fellow Bhoys, please help a fellow boardsie out. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Celtic have been ranked among the 50 top clubs globally in terms of brand value, making 37th place.

http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/top-50-football-club-brands-2012

Very impressive when you consider the massive financial disadvantages we have from playing in the spl. Shows again what a great job overall Peter Lawwell and the board have done in managing the club off the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Hello everyone,

Great title for the Bhoys. I hope Lenny's here to stay for the long term. He's built an exciting young side which is capable of playing some very good football. Hopefully Lennon can tie Hooper down for a new contract as well.

I'm sorry my first post in here is asking for a favour but is there anyone in here on the huddleboard that would be able to refer me? It says the only way to sign up is an existing member of more than 1500 posts to refer you. The username you have to put down is Gaillimh90.

Come on my fellow Bhoys, please help a fellow boardsie out. :cool:

How come you havent posted here before? Anyway what do

would i have to do to refer you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone hear the Paddy McCourt song to the the tune of Achy Breaky Heart a Norwich last night. Class:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

You have to be a sooper :D

Was anyone else in Norwich yesterday?? What a buzz. Our bus left at 3am, landed back to the house at 9:30 today. Cracking day all round, bring on the Euro away days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I usually talk about Celtic on comments sections on newspaper websites, I am on TalkCeltic but there's too many fair-weather fans on there for my liking hence why I want to go on the huddleboard and read what the proper Celtic fans have to say. I use my boards account to talk about rubbish in After Hours to be honest, so don't venture into the "soccer" section :D. I should really start posting in here.

I believe to refer someone you just put in the prospective username (mine being Gaillimh90) on the referring a new member thread. It will most likely be a sticky at the top of the forum page. Unfortunately as I don't have access I can't read the forums or be that clear! Thanks a million though if you're able to do it.

You have to be a sooper :D

Was anyone else in Norwich yesterday?? What a buzz. Our bus left at 3am, landed back to the house at 9:30 today. Cracking day all round, bring on the Euro away days

Haha. No I didn't go. I was very tempted but am in the middle of exams at the minute so can't make the trip. I heard from a mate there was quite a bit of a trouble at the game. Supposed EDL clashed with Celtic fans. Did you see anything?

Has the date for the Villa pre-season friendly been confirmed yet? That will be a class trip! :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18169502
    Have any other Scottish football clubs been involved with EBT schemes?

BBC Scotland Investigates wrote to all of the Scottish Premier League's member clubs and asked whether they had ever operated an EBT scheme.

Celtic confirmed that it established one EBT scheme in April 2005, which BBC Scotland understands was for the benefit of the Brazilian midfielder Juninho Paulista. The scheme was worth £765,000 but the club did not declare the trust payment to the Scottish Football Association or the Scottish Premier League.

The payments made to the trust were declared in Celtic's annual report for 2004/2005, but in 2008 the club became aware of an event giving rise to a potential tax liability which was subsequently paid after agreement with HMRC.

The remaining 10 SPL clubs replied and confirmed they had never set up an EBT scheme for any of their employees.

http://scotslawthoughts.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/what-if-celtic-accept-wrong-doing-re-juninhos-ebt-aberdeen-spl-winners-2005/
    If it is the position that use of an EBT involved payments to a player, undeclared in the contract and therefore against football rules, even if legitimate for tax purposes, then the standard view is that each affected game should result in a 3-0 defeat for the team involved.

As the BBC suggested tonight, 40% of Rangers players from 2001 to 2010 benefited from an EBT. That probably means that every single game played b y Rangers since EBT’s started is affected.

Should Celtic take the moral high ground and, even though Brian Quinn called a halt to the EBT for Juninho at an early stage and accounted to HMRC for relevant tax, put its hands up and admit guilt? (On the hypothesis that the EBT payments for Juninho were not declared to the football authorities.)

In doing so, should Celtic admit that all the matches where Juninho played should be treated as 3-0 wins to the opposition (apart from the game against Rangers, where both teams would have lost 3-0!)?

In that case, if Celtic accepted the blame, my calculations are that the SPL in 2004-2005 would have looked like this.

Aberdeen 64 points

Hibs 63 points

Celtic 54 points

Hearts 53 points

and the bottom

Rangers 0 points.

Celtic should give up the Scottish Cup that year, to Dundee United. Aberdeen would of course be champions, rather than Rangers!

Luckily we didnt end up using EBT's as part of our financial model for the club like Rangers!

I'd have no problem with Celtic taking a knock over Juninho's EBT, rules are rules.

EDIT

Seems Juninho's EBT was part of his golden handshake to leave Celtic. It wasnt setup when he joined the club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

... but there's too many fair-weather fans on there for my liking hence why I want to go on the huddleboard and read what the proper Celtic fans have to say.

Nice approach to asking for a favour I must say! :D Don't think there's any fair weather fans in here. It's regulars plus Rangers FC (in Admin) fans that post from time to time.

Edit: I read that again, sorry, it's early, you weren't talking about here.
    :o

67, in the heat of Lisbon
    45year ago today, God bless every one of the Lions
    "My time will come!"
    Jock Stein to John Mackenzie of the Scottish Daily Express, prior to European Cup final 1967 after enduring snubs and mind games from opposite number Herrera (Inter Milan Manager)

"I am now going to tell him (Herrera) how Celtic will be the first team to bring the European Cup back to Britain. But it will not help him in any manner, shape or form: we are going to attack as we have never attacked before. Cups are not won by individuals, but by men in a team who put their club before personal prestige. I am lucky - I have the players who do just that for Celtic"
    Jock Stein 23rd May 1967

"We must play as if there are no more games, no more tomorrows..."
    Jock Stein, shortly before kick off in Lisbon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

67, in the heat of Lisbon
    45year ago today, God bless every one of the Lions

mcneill.jpg

"We just knew, even after 15 minutes, that we were not going to keep them out. It was a miracle that we were still 1-0 up at half-time. Sometimes in those situations your confidence increases and you start to believe. Not on that day. Even in the dressing room at half-time we looked at each other and we knew we were doomed...
    (Following the equaliser) "I remember at one point Picchi turned to the goalkeeper and said 'Giuliano, let it go, just let it go. Sooner or later they'll get the winner'. I never thought I would hear those words. I never imagined my captain would tell our keeper to throw in the towel. But that shows how destroyed we were at that point. It's as if we did not want to prolong the agony."
    Inter Milan defender Tarcisio Burgnich speaking about the game years later, from 'Inverting The Pyramid - A History of Football Tactics' by Jonathan Wilson (2008)

"We just knew, even after 15 minutes, that we were not going to keep them out. It was a miracle that we were still 1-0 up at half-time. Sometimes in those situations your confidence increases and you start to believe. Not on that day. Even in the dressing room at half-time we looked at each other and we knew we were doomed...
    (Following the equaliser) "I remember at one point Picchi turned to the goalkeeper and said 'Giuliano, let it go, just let it go. Sooner or later they'll get the winner'. I never thought I would hear those words. I never imagined my captain would tell our keeper to throw in the towel. But that shows how destroyed we were at that point. It's as if we did not want to prolong the agony."
    Inter Milan defender Tarcisio Burgnich speaking about the game years later, from 'Inverting The Pyramid - A History of Football Tactics' by Jonathan Wilson (2008)

How did they get to a European Final with an attitude like that! :pac:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-want-to-trade-matt-mills-848001

Now, we've all heard the Matt Mills for Kelvin Wilson transfer rumour but the Mirror have egg on their faces, Kirk Broadfoot style!

Apparently Kelvin Wilson has been at Celtic for 4 years! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

What's this I hear about Celtic moving to the dutch league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

G.K. wrote: »
    What's this I hear about Celtic moving to the dutch league?

Please expand on that, where did you here it?

Twitter rumors that Celtic have been talking to the Dutch FA.

Something tells me this might be BS, can't quite put my finger on what though. :pac:

Any journalist worth their salt saying that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/05/28/fulham-to-scupper-celtic-in-race-to-land-scotland-kid-jordan-rhodes-by-lodging-5m-offer-86908-23876350/
    Ít's all speculation of course and the Daily Record should always be taken with a pinch of salt, but according to them we are being outbid by middle to lower ranking EPL clubs for players like Rhodes from Huddersfield and Rodriguez from Burnley. 5 to 8 million for Jordan Rhodes who has only ever played at League 1 level is over the top and a bit of a gamble. There is no guarantee that he would be good enough to play up front for us in the CL.

We need to be unearthing gems and buying from European leagues, I reckon. Every player in England, no matter what level they are at are overpriced.

• Advertisement

I've said it about Rangers and it's the exact same for Celtic:

Scottish teams should stop looking at England for buying players, only for selling.

Get cheaper, mainland Europe players (especially the eastern European market is over-flowing with good, unknown players) and then later sell them on for big buck to English teams.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I've said it about Rangers and it's the exact same for Celtic:

Scottish teams should stop looking at England for buying players, only for selling.

Get cheaper, mainland Europe players (especially the eastern European market is over-flowing with good, unknown players) and then later sell them on for big buck to English teams.

For once, I agree... mostly! :)

I would add though that two of our best players this season - Hooper and Forster - both came from England. Ledley and Matthews are two players who were key this season also, I wouldn't have liked to have been without either of them. Loan deals and the odd Championship gem still need to be looked at.

I do agree with the idea of scouring Europe, especially eastern Europe for decent players who have their sights on the Premiership and can use a move to Scotland as a springboard for that.

So long as they don't do a Bangura and talk about their move to the EPL before they've even played a game for Celtic!!!! :rolleyes:

It was confirmed today that Celtic will play Real Madrid in Philadelphia on August 11th. I imagine Celtic are getting paid a fairly good sum to travel all the way to the US after the season has already kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

eire4 wrote: »
    It was confirmed today that Celtic will play Real Madrid in Philadelphia on August 11th. I imagine Celtic are getting paid a fairly good sum to travel all the way to the US after the season has already kicked off.

Strange move, obviously going to get alot of money from it and it'll attract a big crowd. I'm not sure of dates but is this not the week between champions league qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

yeah i think its the week before.. which probably means fielding a weak team full of under 19's

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Strange move, obviously going to get alot of money from it and it'll attract a big crowd. I'm not sure of dates but is this not the week between champions league qualifiers?

It is just after the 2nd leg of the third round and 10 days before the first leg of the playoff round I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Darren O'Dea has been released. He should find a club handy enough, best of luck to him.
    Darren O’Dea has expressed his gratitude to Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell after allowing him to leave the club.

The SPL champions had the option to extend the Irishman’s deal at Parkhead but after spending the last two seasons on loan at Ipswich Town and Leeds United, the player was keen on a fresh start.

Speaking from Ireland’s Euro 2012 training camp, the 25-year-old says he’s focused on winning a deal elsewhere after the tournament.

"I'm very happy," O'Dea told the Scottish Sun.

"I spoke to Peter Lawwell and fair play to him. I've been leaving for long enough and it was about time it was official.

"Fair play to Peter for cutting ties. It lets me get on with my career; this has been happening for the last two and a half years anyway.

"I've had a great time at Celtic and have a lot of friends there so it was important for me that I left properly. He's done that and given me the chance to do that, so I've nothing but admiration for the club and I wish them all the best."

O' Dea sounds relieved to be finally leaving the club. Best of luck to him

I see that Lennon has been linked with the Norwich job. I cant see Lennon going yet, he doesnt buy the EPL hype, still has alot to learn and has an opportunity to test himself in the UCL. Hopefully this puts the pressure on Lawwell and Celtic to deliver deals for Forster & Hooper and get the other transfer targets that Lennon wants. Last thing Celtic want to be doing is lacking ambition with clubs sniffing around for players and the manager.

Good luck to O'Dea. Not a surprise to see him move on. It was obvious that was the way things were heading. Hope he finds a good situation for himself for next season. Certainly even more motivation for him to perform well for Ireland if called on in Poland. His best moment with Celtic for me was probably scoring in the 2009 derby win to lift the League Cup that season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

eire4 wrote: »
    Good luck to O'Dea. Not a surprise to see him move on. It was obvious that was the way things were heading. Hope he finds a good situation for himself for next season. Certainly even more motivation for him to perform well for Ireland if called on in Poland. His best moment with Celtic for me was probably scoring in the 2009 derby win to lift the League Cup that season.

That or being in the heart of the defence that took Ac Milan to extra time in the San Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

All over twitter and apparently confirmed now that Alan Thompson has been sacked as Celtic coach. Haven't seen any reasons given but surprising.

Hopefully he won't have any trouble getting a new job, always had time for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Confirmed ^

WTF happened? Villa role maybe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18319883
    Alan Thompson quits his first-team coaching role at Celtic

Celtic first team coach Alan Thompson has parted company with the club, BBC Scotland has learned.

Thompson was appointed by Neil Lennon in June 2010 alongside assistant manager Johan Mjallby following the sacking of Tony Mowbray.

The Englishman previously won four Scottish Premier League titles as a player with Celtic between 2000-07.

He was also was capped once for England and featured in Celtic's run to the Uefa Cup final against Porto in 2003.

Bit of a shock alright, hope it doesn't upset things too much. I always got the sense that himself, Lenny and Johan worked really well together.

Good luck to him. Has to be Villa with Lambert.

Looks like he left rather than being sacked as i said earlier but still a bit of a surprise, Villa would make sense.

It'll be interesting to see who comes in to replace him, himself, Lennon & Johan seemed to work well together

He was sacked...
    Celtic first-team coach Alan Thompson has been dismissed by the club, according to his lawyer.

The former midfielder joined Celtic in June 2010, when he was appointed by manager Neil Lennon alongside assistant boss Johan Mjallby following the sacking of Tony Mowbray.

Thompson is a former Celtic player and a former team-mate of Lennon's.

His lawyer, Margaret Gribbon, of Glasgow-based Bridge Litigation, said in a statement: "I can confirm that I have been instructed to act on behalf of Alan Thompson following his dismissal by Celtic FC.

"Alan was informed of the decision to terminate his employment with immediate effect in a telephone conversation with the club manager Neil Lennon."

Thompson played for the Glasgow club between 2000 and 2007, winning four Scottish Premier League titles and three Scottish Cups.

Nobody from Celtic was immediately available to comment.

Plenty of rumours on other forums, I'm sure you've read them.

• Advertisement

He was sacked...

Plenty of rumours on other forums, I'm sure you've read them.

Yeah it seems he was sacked, apparently for lifestyle issues?!?! Alot of rumours flying about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yeah it seems he was sacked, apparently for lifestyle issues?!?! Alot of rumours flying about.

It could've been handled a bit better. There may have been a bit of a bust up and Thompson is instructing his lawyer to build a case of unfair dismissal by the looks of it. If there was a personality clash problem or other matter brewing there, it would have been better for Thompson to part company with the club in a more amicable fashion without all the rumours etc. But sometimes sh*t happens and that's that.

There's nowt going on in Scottish football at the minute so this story will get more attention than it deserves. Celtic and Lenny should be getting some signings in and shifting the deadwood, that will give the press something to print about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

What type of lifestyle issues?

Booze apparently.

He refused to meet Lennon or something supposedly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Booze apparently.

He refused to meet Lennon or something supposedly?

Odd. Any time I've seen him out drinking, which is fairly often. Both Lennon and Mjallby are with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Eirebear wrote: »
    Odd. Any time I've seen him out drinking, which is fairly often. Both Lennon and Mjallby are with him.

i heard something happened while he was out, must have been bad to end up with him refusing to meet lenny (a close friend) a few people mentioned a drink driving incident.

No matter what its a mess we could do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

bobmalooka wrote: »
    i heard something happened while he was out, must have been bad to end up with him refusing to meet lenny (a close friend) a few people mentioned a drink driving incident.

No matter what its a mess we could do without.

He was done in February 2011 for drink driving so its not that one

Was shocked when I heard that Thommo was sacked yesterday. Sad to see such a great servant to our club gone. Of course all the speculations are going on now as is only natural. All I can say is thank you for everything you have done for the club and I truly hope if there are off the field lifestyle problems which have lead to this that they can be sorted and worked out.

Efrain Juarez has left for Club America, another few quid off the wage list, hopefully Lennon will get decent money to invest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That's a great setup, I didn't know anything about that. Chris McCart seems to be really clued in as to how to develop the youth players, I hope they continue with the programme. There's no doubt that a programme like that will produce better balanced players.

Some great quotes in there.... "He recently sat English and Maths in between marking Grant Holt at Carrow Road and representing Scotland U20s in Amsterdam".

Excellent read about the youth development work Celtic are doing. I saw Findlay against Norwich and he didnt look out of place at all. I was surprised to hear during the match that he was only 16 years old! From the 4th page he seems to be very mature for his age. Sounds to me that we should be looking to bring this kid into the 1st team setup rather than wasting money on a player like Matt Mills. If your good enough then you are old enough and all that.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4359016/Fras-Im-at-Hoops-for-keeps.html

FRASER FORSTER is set to commit his long-term future to Celtic today.

Mark Curtis's attempts to start a bidding war for Forster seems to have failed. Hope Celtic dont have to deal with him too often, seems to be a right dodgy cúnt.

Dempsey wrote: »
    http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4359016/Fras-Im-at-Hoops-for-keeps.html

FRASER FORSTER is set to commit his long-term future to Celtic today.

Mark Curtis's attempts to start a bidding war for Forster seems to have failed. Hope Celtic dont have to deal with him too often, seems to be a right dodgy cúnt.

Good news if it pans out. He was immense last season.

Would be a fantastic signing not just because of his performances last year but also after missing out on a place in the England squad I'm sure it was tempting for him to move south. If he does sign on I think it shows that he feels the club is moving in the right direction and that he wants to be part of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement