Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

TheBuilder wrote: »
    It was Burley during last nights game, the commentator mentioned some player who bossed the midfield in a game against Celtic and Burley replied with 'well that wouldn't be hard really'...

Oh the irony of that coming from him!
    Rejected 6 million+ for Ki

Hopefully we can get similar to McGeady and then buy that Henriksen kid, he looks like a player that can play at a higher tempo than Ki

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Selling Ki could free up the sort of funds we need to make a couple of signings that will improve the team ahead of the CL qualifiers. Good time to sell Ki, we should be able to maximise the fee for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Holding out for a bigger offer by the looks of it.

So it would seem. If Lawwell can get more then 6m for Ki that would be a good piece of business for Celtic. You would have to think at this point with how public this Ki bid has got that one way or another Ki will most likely be leaving Celtic this summer with the fee and destination seeming to be the qestions we will have to wait and see on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

eire4 wrote: »
    So it would seem. If Lawwell can get more then 6m for Ki that would be a good piece of business for Celtic. You would have to think at this point with how public this Ki bid has got that one way or another Ki will most likely be leaving Celtic this summer with the fee and destination seeming to be the qestions we will have to wait and see on.

I do rate Ki. He struggles at times but his talent is without question. His best years are ahead of him but anything over 7million and a nice little sell on clause would be good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I hope we do sell Ki ,while i think he is talented i dont think he is cut out for Scottish football, tbh i wouldve took the 6 mill for him i think we could get a lot better out there to replace him for that cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

looking at the list of teams burley played for himself hes probably running down one of the best teams he played for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Burley is a clown alright but he went on to talk about the level of Scottish football not just Celtic. Regardless of that, Lennon should be keeping his mouth shut. Looks so unprofessional, doubt he'll ever learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I am actually quite happy for Lennon to speak out regarding Burley. Burley is one gob****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

While i despise Burley as much as the next right minded human being, i'm not sure Lennon's tweet regarding "Achievments" is all that correct in this regard.

Burley was talking about how a Ukrainian midfielder had "pulled the strings for Shaktar against Celtic, although mind you, that wouldnt have been hard" - the game in question if i recall correctly, Celtic were outplayed completely by the Ukrainians and beat 2-0?
    He want on to state that "Scottish football in general has struggled in europe for years".
    Which to be fair - is true.

Another case of Lennon needing to learn how to pick his battles tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

To be fair to Celtic, Burley was talking about M'Vila who didn't even play in the first game against Celtic.

But yeah, Lennon should really learn how to count ( :pac: ) to 10 before responding.

• Advertisement

Was it M'Vila or someone else he was on about?

M'Vila was very ordinary against us and didnt look like a £25m target for Arsenal at all

Neil Lennon's agent has warned Craig Burley that he should get his facts right before criticising Celtic in his role as a television pundit.

Burley's comments, while operating as a summariser for ITV during the Euro 2012 match between Ukraine and France on Friday, brought an angry response from the manager of the club where he previously played.

Through his newspaper column and on ITV, the former midfielder has been repeatedly critical of manager Lennon, chief executive Peter Lawwell and the Parkhead club.

He used the platform of his role on nationwide television to deliver what the Celtic hierarchy consider to be yet another unwarranted attack on the club.

Burley said of French substitute Yann M'Vila, who plays for Rennes, one of Celtic's Europa Cup opponents last season: "I watched that player boss the game against Celtic, even though that wouldn't be hard."

This brought an angry response from Lennon, currently holidaying in Portugal, via his Twitter account, on which he remarked: "A certain ex-player is belittling the club and undermining our achievements."

Lennon's agent, Martin Reilly, explained what had so upset the Celtic manager.

Reilly said: "If you are going to have a pop at the club, Neil Lennon or Scottish football, you should a least make sure you get your facts right.

"M'Vila did not even play in the tie in Rennes when Celtic drew 1-1. And, in the return game at Parkhead, he was sent off as Celtic won 3-1.

"So, to bring Celtic into his comments during this Euro 2012 game told its own story, and it's becoming quite tiresome.

"Craig Burley previously claimed that the championship Celtic have just won was devalued because of Rangers' situation.

"Yet, he was calling for Neil Lennon to be sacked when he was 15 points behind in the same season.

"I believe this latest comment is just further proof that Craig Burley has a personal grievance against Scottish football, Neil Lennon and Celtic. For what reason, no-one can understand."

Burley's departure from Celtic in 2000, after two-and-a- half years as a player, was acrimonious but neither Lennon nor Lawwell was at the club at that time.

This adds to the difficulty the manager and chief executive have understanding why they believe they are the subject of so much vitriol from the former midfielder.

Last weekend, he used his Sunday newspaper column to opine that Lennon was struggling to cope and needed previous Parkhead manager Gordon Strachan to join him as part of his backroom team.

That irked Lennon, who took over from Tony Mowbray as manager two years ago and last month brought the SPL title back to the club for the first time in four seasons.

Celtic have elected to remain silent, in public at least, until this point, but the latest comments from Burley could now lead to the club taking action.

That's what he was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

More proof Burley is a total idiot. Least we're all agreeing on something these days!

IMO, Burley shouldnt be allowed to commentate at Scottish Football matches anymore.

Dempsey wrote: »
    IMO, Burley shouldnt be allowed to commentate anymore.

Agreed ;)

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I do rate Ki. He struggles at times but his talent is without question. His best years are ahead of him but anything over 7million and a nice little sell on clause would be good business.

I do rate Ki as well and he should have his best years ahead of him. But we are well stocked in central midfield and if we can get a good fee for him that can help us finance the signing of maybe both a center back and a target man up front which we need to do badly.

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=2736

St Ninian's partnership continues to grow
    CELTIC’S partnership with St Ninian’s High School is set to grow even further next season as the Hoops enrol a further 16 pupils on the programme.

Currently, 24 teenagers at Under-15 and 16 level are involved in the set-up, but that number will rise to 40 after the summer holidays, extending it to U14.

The players show great commitment to the programme, dedicating most of their time outwith the regular class timetable to football, and it is a course which is already beginning to pay off.

Paul George was the first to graduate and Stuart Findlay, Lewis Kidd, Jamie Lindsay and Denny Johnstone are beginning to follow in his footsteps.

Head of Youth, Chris McCart, is delighted with the partnership extension and told the official website: "This is a major investment for us. The players are in at 7.30 in the morning and are exposed to nine coaching sessions per week.

"It means that when they progress to full-time they will join up with Tommy McIntyre and John Kennedy straight away. They are hitting the ground running because their fitness levels are very good - they are used to the intense levels of training.

"Sports Scientist Ian Coll’s data showed last season we were one of the best trained and coached teams regarding fitness levels and intensity.

"Education is also very important and we are trying to combine the two together so they are leaving school with good qualifications."

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=2736

St Ninian's partnership continues to grow

This is great news for Celtic's future as this academy really seems to be starting to have a significant impact for the club when you look at the fact that 5 lads made their debuts last season plus we have Forrest now established as a first team regular. It is a big jump in numbers too going from 25 to 40 places. Very postitive news for Celtic's academy and hopefully down the road for the first team.

I almost went to St. Ninians......

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    I almost went to St. Ninians......

Tell on...

Tell on...

Not much to tell really, it's the secondary i would have attended if i hadnt moved to Ireland just beforehand.
    Was just a throwaway, semi nostalgic comment really!

Not much to tell really, it's the secondary i would have attended if i hadnt moved to Ireland just beforehand.
    Was just a throwaway, semi nostalgic comment really!

soclose.jpg?1314381160

:pac:

soclose.jpg?1314381160

:pac:

Aye just think...i could have been your hero Demspey! :p

Aye just think...i could have been your hero Demspey! :p

Or another Craig Burley! :P

harsh...

• Advertisement

When I was growing up, "facilities" were getting togged out in the trees. We got a shipping container as a dressing room a few years later, we were blessed! In fairness my local club has come on in leaps and bounds since then, easily one of the best football grounds in Tipperary now through continual hard graft by the usual few that give up their spare time and they are expanding again! I'm actually jealous of the opportunity that those kids are getting, I hope they make the most of the opportunity.

When I was growing up, "facilities" were getting togged out in the trees. We got a shipping container as a dressing room a few years later, we were blessed! In fairness my local club has come on in leaps and bounds since then, easily one of the best football grounds in Tipperary now through continual hard graft by the usual few that give up their spare time and they are expanding again! I'm actually jealous of the opportunity that those kids are getting, I hope they make the most of the opportunity.

When i moved to ireland i was in awe of the fact you actually had grass pitches!

Bizarely though, i was so used to throwing myself around on red ash i struggled with the way the ball moved on grass. Must have been like how a tennis player feels when changing surfaces.

We could have been legends! :pac:

We could have been legends! :pac:

I still fantasise about getting spotted having a kickabout in the park!
    And her - that 3rd division side that takes a punt on me might even be rangers now!

Look at you two getting all nostalgic! EB going on the level of OG's you scored we'd never get promoted :P

We had a big opportunity to make our local club into something better but the people making the decisions made the wrong ones. So much so we nearly went bust a few years back ( no rfc jokes :P ). We ended up dropping from USL into the donegal league and went into free fall through the divisions but we're finding our feet now. Quite a few have went across the water in recent years but really Packie Bonner would've been the last one to make anything of himself.

The GAA players are crippling us, using us to keep fit during the winter then as soon as the GAA pre season starts they disappear, it's the same every year but the managers wont drop them because they're all mates. Is at the stage that out of the 18 players in our youth team that got to the national cup last 16 5 years agoonly two of us are still there.

Our neighbouring club have won the Donegal League Premier Division twice in three years after banning the older GAA heads and persisting with a young football playing side.

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2162966/Fraser-Forster-given-end-month-decide-join-Celtic.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Basically he's to agree before his loan formally expires which ends the time period where we have agreed a fee with Newcastle for him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2162966/Fraser-Forster-given-end-month-decide-join-Celtic.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Basically he's to agree before his loan formally expires which ends the time period where we have agreed a fee with Newcastle for him.

I think the club are doing as much as they can tbh, sounds like Lenny has been more than fair with him. Over to you know, Fraser!

Some other stuff from the rumour mill:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2012/06/21/celtic-face-fight-with-bundesliga-giants-hamburg-for-markus-henriksen-86908-23898861/
    GERMAN giants Hamburg last night joined Celtic in the race for £2.5million starlet Markus Henriksen.
    Parkhead boss Neil Lennon is keen on the 19-year-old Norway international as he reshapes his squad for the SPL title defence and a tilt at the Champions League.
    The Celtic manager has gone public to express his interest but Hoops chiefs have yet to put a deal to Henriken’s club Rosenborg and Hamburg are now threatening to ruin their chances.
    Record Sport can reveal the Germans’ sporting director Frank Arnesen has placed the attacking midfielder high on his list of summer transfer targets.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2012/06/22/swansea-outcast-stephen-dobbie-opens-door-on-summer-move-to-celtic-86908-23899261/
    STEPHEN DOBBIE last night opened the door on a switch to Celtic after the Parkhead club were linked with a move for the Swansea striker.
    The 29-year-old Scot enjoyed a successful loan spell in the Championship with Blackpool last season and is now surplus to requirements at the Swans.
    But Hoops gaffer Neil Lennon faces a fight to land the former Rangers fringe player as Pool boss Ian Holloway aims to land him on a permanent deal.
    Middlesbrough and Bristol City have also been linked with moves for Dobbie, who has proved himself a deadly marksman in England’s second tier.
    Dobbie had hoped the arrival of Michael Laudrup as Swansea boss would provide him with a clean slate following the departure of Brendan Rodgers but he is still available for transfer.
    And the one-time Ibrox reserve admits the lure of a move back to Glasgow would be difficult to resist.

Hmmmm...... the whole "kept out of the starting side by Craig Beattie" has me a little worried! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18556194

I'd imagine Celtic are keeping a diplomatic silence on this vote but will definitely be voting No to Newco being parachuted straight into the SPL. Looks like it will be a No vote will carry the day and that supporters of all clubs opinions are respected. Any other outcome would be a deathknell to Scottish football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18556194

I'd imagine Celtic are keeping a diplomatic silence on this vote but will definitely be voting No to Newco being parachuted straight into the SPL. Looks like it will be a No vote will carry the day and that supporters of all clubs opinions are respected. Any other outcome would be a deathknell to Scottish football.

I think your right there realpigiron I think Lawwell will vote no and that is for me exactly what he needs to do for there to be any future for Scottish football IMHO. Hopefully he will have plenty of company in voting no as well. Mad Valds comments about why they will be voting no were classic mad Vlad. An absolute nutter he is but had some fair points on this one for sure.

Good old Joe 'Semicolon' O'Rourke at it again.
    BOYCOTT VOTE ... Joe O;Rourke
    By DAVID FRIEL

CELTIC fans will rubber-stamp plans to boycott clubs who vote to allow newco Rangers into the SPL at an EGM tomorrow.
    comment on this story 1 comment

And it has emerged Hoops diehards will also take action if SPL rivals try to slash Celtic’s income by pushing through new financial rules next month.

SPL clubs will vote on proposals to change the majority needed for significant decisions from 11-1 to 9-3 at an AGM on July 16.

With newco Rangers now almost certain to be refused entry into the SPL by then, the 11-1 vote needed to carry this motion is likely to be achieved.

This could isolate Celtic and give other SPL clubs the power to push through rules to increase their income.

But a mass boycott of away grounds could take place if Hoops fans feel SPL sides are guilty of trying to weaken their club.

Writing on the Celtic Supporters’ Association website, fans’ chief Joe O’Rourke said: “Why should Celtic suffer for the sins of another club which is now dead?

“Celtic and other teams are going to lose revenue because people in power failed to act.

“Some Celtic fans won’t renew their season ticket if a newco is allowed into the SPL.

“Now we have the added problem of the other ten SPL clubs trying to change the voting system with regards to financial affairs in the SPL.

“If changes need to be made they should be done by discussion and mutual agreement.”

So he's saying that Celtic fans wil boycott if Rangers are kept in the SPL, but also if Rangers are not and the other clubs use this chance to change the voting system ?

Where did you pull that article out of? Seems outdated

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Tis old news really. Rourke is being delusional if he think Celtic should be allowed to hold a stranglehold over SPL affairs although if the fate of the SPL is left entirely in the hands of the 'SPL10' I genuinely fear for its future. With the merger of the SFL coming, the voting system should be radically changed rather than a tacked on solution.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    I would be absolutely amazed if Rangers are not playing in SPL next season. There will be four Old Firm games next season in my view. Money talks in this world and it talks louder than anything else. Rangers will have a few lean years with Celtic dominant but Rangers will be competitive again in a few years.

Will you still be amazed? We're at four official "no" votes now - Hearts, Hibs, ICT and Dundee United.

PauloMN wrote: »

Will you still be amazed? We're at four official "no" votes now - Hearts, Hibs, ICT and Dundee United.

Anyone who thought we would be in the SPL weren't thinking properly, the majority of Rangers fans accepted long ago we wouldn't.

With the vote I think we'll see St.Johnstone, St. Mirren (i thought they had, not ICT) and Motherwell adding a no vote.

Aberdeen, Killie, the oldco, Ross County vote yes and Celtic to abstain.

This should also put to bed the division 1 idea, because they can't ramble on about 'Sporting Integrity' then change the rules to put us in division 1. But since when have the SFA etc actually cared about ruled when it has concerned them.

Edit: just seen about ICT, that's five then.

Is there any reason they can't bring the meeting forward from July 4th?

• Advertisement

D&P will probably vote no for the craic!

This should also put to bed the division 1 idea, because they can't ramble on about 'Sporting Integrity' then change the rules to put us in division 1. But since when have the SFA etc actually cared about ruled when it has concerned them.

I hope you are right TB. I don't mean that in a smug way at all, I honestly am appalled that the notion of trying to squeeze Sevco into Div 1 is even being considered. And it's not just because of who it is, but rather the fact that the SFA/SFL/SPL seem to be making the rules up as they go along.

This has gone on far too long as it is. They should do everyone a favour and just get this all out of the way, so that at least you guys (and every other club affected - namely Dundee) know where they stand. I guess even an application to Div 3 - if it comes to that - will take some time also. I'd be worried that there'll be no football at Ibrox at all next season if these feckin' clowns don't get their act together.

I hope you are right TB. I don't mean that in a smug way at all, I honestly am appalled that the notion of trying to squeeze Sevco into Div 1 is even being considered. And it's not just because of who it is, but rather the fact that the SFA/SFL/SPL seem to be making the rules up as they go along.

This has gone on far too long as it is. They should do everyone a favour and just get this all out of the way, so that at least you guys (and every other club affected - namely Dundee) know where they stand. I guess even an application to Div 3 - if it comes to that - will take some time also. I'd be worried that there'll be no football at Ibrox at all next season if these feckin' clowns don't get their act together.

It's a joke, it's quite simple. Promote Dundee and start the application process to division 3 with us and any non league sides and get that sorted out.

I can't believe they're talking about a restructuring in about two weeks when they can't even decide on their own rules and regulations. They're a laughing stock.

Currently, with the time scale projected for the vote etc, Rangers are going to have 2 weeks to prepare for the start of the season. Which means a chain reaction to the other teams affected.

At this rate we'll struggle to put together a team for division 3, and the authorities will have to take responsibility for their inept running of things.

I'm off to the European University games in 2 weeks time, I was saying to BBE at this rate I'll be getting off the plane with my boots and heading straight to Ibrox to see if I can make up the numbers!

It's just not getting any better, complete disaster.

Could you not blame D&P for dragging out the sale? Could you not blame Green for wasting time with an SPL application?

Could you not blame D&P for dragging out the sale? Could you not blame Green for wasting time with an SPL application?

There's no doubt that both of those parties have been at fault for some delays to the process. The SPL/SFL/SFA though are making a total balls of things right now by trying to restructure a league setup overnight, and trying to fit in a new club into Div 1 purely to fit their own agenda.

They are in danger of having a shambles of a league setup by the time the new season kicks off. They need to leave restructuring of the league setup aside for the moment, stand up and tell Green to apply for a position in Div 3 and then everyone can move on. The new club will know where they stand and can being to plan, the leagues will know what teams will be in each league and move on from there.

Let Sky go to feck if that's the ultimate outcome. If that results in less money for all teams, then so be it. It's a **** deal anyway, I'm sure over time something better for everyone could be put together.

Cant see Sevco getting into Div1 tbh, all SFL members will want to milk that cash cow for as long as possible, so they will push for Div3. The structural changes to the SFA/SPL/SFL have to happen anyways so dangling things like redistribution of TV and sponsorship money for Sevco into Div1 wont work.

I'm off to the European University games in 2 weeks time, I was saying to BBE at this rate I'll be getting off the plane with my boots and heading straight to Ibrox to see if I can make up the numbers!

It's just not getting any better, complete disaster.

Given your history of knee problems you're a shoe in for central midfield!

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=2751

Celtic PLC/Alan Thompson joint statement

CELTIC PLC and Alan Thompson are pleased to advise that they have reached an agreement to amicably settle their legal dispute.

Celtic PLC extend their thanks to Alan for his services to the Club as a top-level player and a first-class coach. Alan would like to express his deep gratitude for the overwhelming and heartfelt backing he has received from Celtic fans everywhere, and for the support of his legal team at Bridge Litigation UK Solicitors.

Alan intends to continue his coaching career, building on the invaluable experience gained during his time with Celtic. Alan wishes Celtic Football Club and the fans every success for the future.

Celtic would like to thank Alan for the contribution he has made to the Club over a number of years as both a player and a coach, and we sincerely wish him well for the future.

Glad its settled in an amicable way.

Still no news on Forster, looks highly doubtful that a deal will be struck at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Looks like Forster has signed up, fantastic news.

• Advertisement

Looks like Forster has signed up, fantastic news.

Excellent news, whos reporting that its done?

EDIT

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2166757/Fraser-Forster-signs-Celtic.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Hopefully, there will be confirmation from the club or Forster tomorrow morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement