Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Like the new strip though more Hoops the better.

Plain black socks with hoops? Cool, I want them :cool:

0:0 in that Helsinki match, I wonder, if Lenny enjoys himself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Great pass by McCourt, Samaras should have done better with that chance.

Celtic are picking up knocks all over the shop

Dempsey wrote: »
    Great pass by McCourt, Samaras should have done better with that chance.

Celtic are picking up knocks all over the shop

I hereby prefer lethargic performances

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I hereby prefer lethargic performances

:D

In fairness, its more down to the Norwich players sticking the boot in regardless and the referee not using his whistle. They need toughening up, ya wont win titles without taking knocks! :)

:D

In fairness, its more down to the Norwich players sticking the boot in regardless and the referee not using his whistle. They need toughening up, ya wont win titles without taking knocks! :)

One of them being Whittacker? No more comment ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    One of them being Whittacker? No more comment ;)

I was training myself, only tuned in around 9pm. What did he do?

Some difference in this performance (from what I've seen) and the Adam Drury testimonial :eek:

I was training myself, only tuned in around 9pm. What did he do?

Some difference in this performance (from what I've seen) and the Adam Drury testimonial :eek:

Thought, you knew it. I only have a scrappy stream, shockwave player breaking down all the time and stuff like that :confused:

Decent performance from what I saw but the knocks to Zaluska & Forster have me worried. Hopefully they'll be ok.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Only caught a bit of it, but much better performance than against Ajax. Happy enough that we're in better form for CL qualifier next week, only downside was Forster potentially injured - will have to wait and see if he's ok.

Pre-season friendlies are about getting fit, giving some players an opportunity and experimenting a bit. Late goal was a shame, but on the positive side, there was some very good possession and passing play.

Have to say Bangura is simply gash though. Should never be near a Celtic shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Only 5 HJK players started tonight from the side that won 7-0 in the first leg. It would have been more advantageous for Celtic if the first game had been closer. Ah well, hopefully we'll give it a right go anyways

• Advertisement

Ayo_aVFCIAAiNC8.jpg

Only seeing this now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I know, that jersey looks dreadful :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It only needed a few stitches according to Mjallby!

The crest is like a bullseye. Maybe we're trying to hypnotise opposition strikers into shooting at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Is there a worry going into the Helsinki game a bit 'cold'? Especially after the uninspiring pre-season.

What will be the likely team? I'd imagine it'll be the strongest possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Is there a worry going into the Helsinki game a bit 'cold'? Especially after the uninspiring pre-season.

What will be the likely team? I'd imagine it'll be the strongest possible.

I'm quite nervous about it if I'm honest. And yes, I'd assume Lenny will field his best possible team.

We were far more lively against Norwich from what I saw of it (most of the 2nd half) but the only real issue so far of pre season is the lack of goals, the strikers arent doing enough imo. Inter Milan match should see Celtic up it another gear and hopefully the strikers put in a performance that would inspire confidence going into the HJK match.

No doubt it will be a full strength team bar injuries/knocks.

My XI vs HJK: Forster, Matthews, Wanyama, Mulgrew, Izaguirre, Brown, Kayal, Ledley, Commons, Hooper, Samaras

Samaras over Stokes for work rate & Commons over Forrest for experience. The two lads to be brought on in the 2nd half though

We were far more lively against Norwich from what I saw of it (most of the 2nd half) but the only real issue so far of pre season is the lack of goals, the strikers arent doing enough imo. Inter Milan match should see Celtic up it another gear and hopefully the strikers put in a performance that would inspire confidence going into the HJK match.

No doubt it will be a full strength team bar injuries/knocks.

My XI vs HJK: Forster, Matthews, Wanyama, Mulgrew, Izaguirre, Brown, Kayal, Ledley, Commons, Hooper, Samaras

Samaras over Stokes for work rate & Commons over Forrest for experience. The two lads to be brought on in the 2nd half though

What?!

You're forgetting the sublime, game-changing, grace and guile of the talismanic Paddy McCourt.

It's late so maybe you just forgot...

;)

What?!

You're forgetting the sublime, game-changing, grace and guile of the talismanic Paddy McCourt.

It's late so maybe you just forgot...

;)

He's on borrowed time imo

He's on borrowed time imo

I was thinking maybe he'd get a run of games now that Celtic will skate the league. Why not?

I'd honestly prefer him to Commons right now.

• Advertisement

I was thinking maybe he'd get a run of games now that Celtic will skate the league. Why not?

I'd honestly prefer him to Commons right now.

I'm quietly confident about Commons this season based on the fact that he turned up fitter for preseason than he was at the end of last season according to fitness tests done by Celtic. He had a terrible season last year but hopefully those niggling injuries are gone. He played well against Norwich too.

McCourt has had 4 years to add more to his game, he hasnt done that tbh. He's not a player I'd start in a European game, doesnt do enough when we dont have the ball which is very important at that level. I rather gametime be given to Twardzik, McGeouch & Ibrahim.

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=2850
    CELTIC go into the new campaign as the Scottish champions, and the top target for Neil Lennon’s side will be to retain that title they won so convincingly last season. There is also the aim of reaching the prestigious group stages of the UEFA Champions League, a competition that Celtic want to be competing in.

The forthcoming season is also an historic one as it marks the club’s 125th year, and looking ahead to a new season and a new era in Scottish football, Chief Executive Peter Lawwell has written an open letter to Celtic supporters, thanking them for their faithful backing of the team and the club, and urging fans to pack out Paradise and back the team as they continue to add to the unique history of our football club.

A give us your money open letter! :pac:

I must write an open letter to the board to get the finger out and sign a centre back and a proper striker! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=2850

A give us your money open letter! :pac:

I must write an open letter to the board to get the finger out and sign a centre back and a proper striker! :D

We've got Murphy back from his loan spell and hopefully a fully fit Bangura. If we have the two of them starting and Rasmussen on the bench we should have enough in that area.

I'd like to see Rasmussen get a run though, maybe three up front?

I know Murphy & Rasmussen are seen as lads that are suppose to hold up the ball and bring others into play. Do you really see us starting a European game with either up front and a 5 man midfield behind them, leaving hooper, stokes & Samaras on the bench? I'd like to see Murphy & Rasmussen sold because their wages could be better used elsewhere. Tony Watt looks better than both of them although not the same type of player. I'd like to see our top youth prospects getting rewarded with proper 1st time gametime rather than sign players of their ilk to pad the squad. Celtic managers in the past want our youth players to come through but they were not prepared to give proper 1st team opportunities to most. Very few players can bridge the gap the way things were being done, Lennon will probably have to do this now because of finances but Celtic needs to improve on this part of youth development.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Bangura has done nothing, absolutely nothing to warrant a place on this team imo. His EPL comments when he joined Celtic just look laughable now.

Samaras and Hooper are our best strikers. Stokes give a decent return in the SPL, but I'm not sure about him for big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

PauloMN wrote: »
    Bangura has done nothing, absolutely nothing to warrant a place on this team imo. His EPL comments when he joined Celtic just look laughable now.

Samaras and Hooper are our best strikers. Stokes give a decent return in the SPL, but I'm not sure about him for big games.

Bangura is a waste of space, hard to see what Lennon or his scouts saw in him, he looks like a guy who'd be last pick in a local 5 a side game.

Really can't see us attracting a decent striker to the club in this window, I think it's obvious we're not going to spend decent money even by recent standards.

I think the focus should be on lining up a decent centre half with a bit of experience at european level to help guys like Rogne, Matthews etc develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

So, any word on bids from the EPL for Bangura yet? I hear City haven't been active yet and they are interested in a striker :pac:.

henke wrote: »
    So, any word on bids from the EPL for Bangura yet? I hear City haven't been active yet and they are interested in a striker :pac:.

He turned down Barcelona apparently as the EPL is his preferred destination.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2179530/Manchester-United-Arsenal-join-race-Celtics-Victor-Wanyama.html

Manchester United and Arsenal join race for Celtic midfielder Wanyama

£20m and he's yours! :pac:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2179530/Manchester-United-Arsenal-join-race-Celtics-Victor-Wanyama.html

Manchester United and Arsenal join race for Celtic midfielder Wanyama

£20m and he's yours! :pac:

Screw them big time for Vic, let's see some of that crazy EPL money.

Would be really sorry to see him go, same with Kayal, but I suppose Celtic will never be able to hold onto these guys for long the way things are. Unearthing potential gems and getting a season or two out of them is the best we can hope for.

Ayo_aVFCIAAiNC8.jpg

Just seen the FC St Pauli goalie jersey is exactly the same only green. Looks savage.
    I admit it looks cack in black though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Just seen the FC St Pauli goalie jersey is exactly the same only green. Looks savage.
    I admit it looks cack in black though.

It's a standard Nike template.

Lots of the Euro 2012 keepers had the same jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

any of the rest of you listen to over and over on a friday night? very entertaining if you're at nothing.

http://www.spreaker.com/show/oaoradioshow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

any of the rest of you listen to over and over on a friday night? very entertaining if you're at nothing.

http://www.spreaker.com/show/oaoradioshow

Listen in sometimes. Housey does a good show!

CELTIC: Forster; Matthews, Lustig, Mulgrew, Izaguirre; Commons, Wanyama, Ledley, Samaras; Hooper, Stokes

Subs: Zaluska, Irvine, F. Twardzik, McGeouch, McCourt, Bangura

INTER: Handanovic; Zanetti, Silvestre, Coutinho, Sneijder, Guarin, Cambiasso, Milito, Ranocchia, Chivu, Jonathan

Inter subs: Castellazzi, Palacio, Mudingayi, Benassi, Mbaye, Bianchetti, Nagatomo, Garritano, Livaja

K.O. 1.30

Looking forward to this even though I dont think we'll win. Hoping for no knocks/injuries and players to show some cutting edge in front of goal although Handanovic is world class and was excellent for Udinese when we played them last year.

One thing, are Brown & Kayal carrying knocks?

25 minutes in and Celtic are playing very well, creating chances but not putting them away. Need to be more clinical in front of goal

Stokes is being stretchered off, splint being put on his leg :(

Mo Bangura comes on :(:(:pac:

1-0 Celtic @ HT

More of the same so far in the 2nd half

Cracking goal, hopefully the Stokes injury isn't too bad.

Apparently Stokes has walked out to the sideline and was giving thumbs up to the fans, hopefully it was just a precautionary measure

Down to 10 men for the last 10 minutes, Commons is off with a knock, no subs left

EDIT

Finishes 1-1 but that doesnt matter. The performance when we had 11 on the field was very promising and we werent too bad when down to 10. Just hope that Stokes and Commons will be fine, Commons especially as he was excellent today

Feel much better going into the CL qualifiers after that performance. Some decent play for much of the game, definitely improved the last couple of games. Shame for FF, pulled off a couple of good saves, one of which unfortunately rebounded out for the Inter goal.

Wonder has Commons got his touch back that we saw in his first season... certainly looked like it from that cracking goal. Hope Stokes is ok.

• Advertisement

Lennon wrote:
    Both (Commons and Stokes) have badly twisted ankles. The next 24 hours important to see how they react. I think Kris would be a bigger doubt at the minute than Anthony.

Scott Brown was just a precaution. He's still coming back from surgery in June so don't want to overwork him

Thomas Rogne rested. James (Forrest) took a bang on his foot at training. Had it x-rayed this morning and it should be ok.

Kelvin Wilson has shin splits. He has been for a scan and there is just some soft tissue damage and he should be ok for Wednesday

We'll miss Commons more than Stokes imo. He looked sharp today, certainly more like his 1st 6 months

EDIT

Added more injury updates from Lennon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Good performance from Celtic today. Hopefully the injuries to Stokes and Commons are nothing serious and they are ok for Wednesday against Helsinki. Would have been nice to get the win but 1-1 isn't bad against Inter Milan and most importantly it was a good all round showing by Celtic today. Very important confidence wise I think going into Wednesdays season opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Sky sports reporting we have made an offer to take vaughan on loan from norwich, would he make an impact for us? Its not like our squad needs to be any more bloated especially when we have good young lads who will come on leaps and bounds with more game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Anyone going over to the games tomorrow or Saturday? Am on a ferry in the wee hours and can't wait for this game tomorrow night. Staying over for the few days and really looking forward to the Aberdeen game on Sat.

If anyone is over, give us a shout and i'll buy you a wee pint of heavy with a glayva chaser :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

It looks like Commons will be fit for Wednesdays against Helsinki although it's not looking so good for Stokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

eire4 wrote: »
    It looks like Commons will be fit for Wednesdays against Helsinki although it's not looking so good for Stokes.
    Happy to even have one of them fit after picking up knocks so close to the game.

eire4 wrote: »

where did you hear that? heard both did light training and both will do another in the morning before a fitness test. i doubt stokes was in line for a start even if he was fully fit tbh

are any tv stations showing the game tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

RoryMac wrote: »

I heard its not on anywhere mate.

• Advertisement

TheBuilder wrote: »
    RoryMac wrote: »

I heard its not on anywhere mate.

Cheers, that's what i'd heard too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement