Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Guilty of breach of the peace, I think the prosecuter made a mistake by tagging the sectarian bit onto the assault charge but it's crazy that the guy is going to get a slap on the wrist for the attack.

Can't help but worry other nutjobs will see this as a green light to try something similar.

New LB signed on 6 month loan Badr El Kaddouri from Dynamo Kiev, can't say I've ever heard of him but at least we have cover until Izzy is back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

RoryMac wrote: »
    New LB signed on 6 month loan Badr El Kaddouri from Dynamo Kiev, can't say I've ever heard of him but at least we have cover until Izzy is back.

Good news that LB is sorted now while Izzy is out - here's the BBC link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14740011.stm

And great to have another striker option as with injuries we'd have been pretty short there. It might also give Samaras a boot up the arse.

Let's have K.Wilson, Mulgrew and Loovens (when fit) look after CB - give Dan a break for a while, he's far too ropey lately. Can't believe I actually want Loovens in ahead of him... :eek:

Don't know much about the new signings, but I'm glad both a striker and a defender were acquired, good work Celtic!

Welcome to Paradise, Badr and Mo!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

FC Sion decision due tomorrow lads (although it can be appealed if it goes our way):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14710409.stm

Hooiveld out on loan until Jan:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14742403.stm

I wouldn't be Lawell's biggest fan but did find his reaction to the £9m bid for Jelavic funny, "Last night, we got a £29m offer for Hooper, from an unknown agent, from an unknown club, from another universe."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14755914.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I wouldn't be Lawell's biggest fan but did find his reaction to the £9m bid for Jelavic funny, "Last night, we got a £29m offer for Hooper, from an unknown agent, from an unknown club, from another universe."

http://t.co/FyajDZg

Though it was pretty unprofessional for a man who is supposedly one of the people dragging the Scottish game into the 21st century to come away with

http://t.co/FyajDZg

Though it was pretty unprofessional for a man who is supposedly one of the people dragging the Scottish game into the 21st century to come away with

Yeah probably is a little but to be fair he's only saying what everyone else is about the '£9m bid'.

I'm sure it was meant as a light hearted dig at our rivals, you hear far worse things in all other leagues, maybe fans of both clubs need to chill out a little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If Rangers could even name the club that was willing to play £9m then you might have a leg to stand on!

Dempsey wrote: »
    If Rangers could even name the club that was willing to play £9m then you might have a leg to stand on!
    Why you see undisclosed fee's all the time or should Rangers tell everyone just to keep them happy.

Why you see undisclosed fee's all the time or should Rangers tell everyone just to keep them happy.

If it was confidential, why were they allowed to tell the world that they rejected a £9m bid? Surely if any confidentiality agreement was in place, they wouldnt be in a position to even acknowledge a bid or interest took place.

It was a desperate PR exercise

• Advertisement

Do you honestly believe there was a bid of £9m? And yes you do hear of undisclosed bids but never heard of an undisclosed club before!

Do you honestly believe there was a bid of £9m? And yes you do hear of undisclosed bids but never heard of an undisclosed club before!

I have no reason to disbelieve at the end of the day he could have sold him for 6.5m and still had time to bring someone else in he had nothing to gain as far as I can see. The point remains it was very unprofessional IMO but if you found it funny thats fine lets face it as suppirters of rival teams we find things funny about each others clubs all the time I know I had a good laugh with my Tic supporting mate last night.

I have no reason to disbelieve at the end of the day he could have sold him for 6.5m and still had time to bring someone else in he had nothing to gain as far as I can see. The point remains it was very unprofessional IMO but if you found it funny thats fine lets face it as suppirters of rival teams we find things funny about each others clubs all the time I know I had a good laugh with my Tic supporting mate last night.

Were ye laughing at the £100,000 bid for Siphiwe Tshabalala?

Were ye laughing at the £100,000 bid for Siphiwe Tshabalala?

Thought it was ludicrous myself much like the thought you lot were going to get 3m for Samaras

Thought it was ludicrous myself much like the thought you lot were going to get 3m for Samaras

Dunno what sources you were looking at but most media outlets I looked at reported the asking price as £1m for Samaras. I thought the asking price would have been a one way Ryanair flight myself! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Dunno what sources you were looking at but most media outlets I looked at reported the asking price as £1m for Samaras. I thought the asking price would have been a one way Ryanair flight myself! :pac:

Last thing I saw about it on SSN yesterday was Blackburn and Sunderland were put off by Celtic's asking price of almost 3 million.

• Advertisement

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Last thing I saw about it on SSN yesterday was Blackburn and Sunderland were put off by Celtic's asking price of almost 3 million.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7140108,00.html
    Samaras, who is a Greek international, had also attracted interest from fellow French outfit St Etienne, but that deal stalled when they baulked at Celtic's £1million asking price.

Probably making up the fee, like Rangers did. Tis easy do! :pac:

Didnt Sunderland deny any interest in Samaras on Mon/Tues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Aye, what about us knocking back the £29,000,000 bid that came in for Gary Hooper from an unknown club in an unknown universe though??? :P

Aye, what about us knocking back the £29,000,000 bid that came in for Gary Hooper from an unknown club in an unknown universe though??? :P

Thought that was nearly as funny as him being in charge of Celtic as we won three in a row :p

Thought that was nearly as funny as him being in charge of Celtic as we won three in a row :p

ah sure everyone knows it's the balance sheet that counts, trophies are over-rated!

How is Rangers balance sheet looking? :p

ah sure everyone knows it's the balance sheet that counts, trophies are over-rated!

Ach if I was second best I suppose I would be looking for things to slag the Champions off as well :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Ach if I was second best I suppose I would be looking for things to slag the Champions off as well :p

Even after 3 in a row you're still there to be laughed at.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7140108,00.html

Probably making up the fee, like Rangers did. Tis easy do! :pac:

Didnt Sunderland deny any interest in Samaras on Mon/Tues?

They might have done, this was late on yesterday evening it resurfaced on Sky after I had seen the 1 million St.Ettiene and Rennes offers.

Haha, I think if Lawell had his way it would be balance sheets that count! Suppose he is having his way in the last 3 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

They might have done, this was late on yesterday evening it resurfaced on Sky after I had seen the 1 million St.Ettiene and Rennes offers.

In fairness I cant blame any club for not wanting to fork out a £1m on Samaras. There would be better ways for someone to blow a million pounds, however I wish he went though :(.

Well I'm just glad Alister took pity on us and didn't spend his £15m warchest! :)

should have no trouble paying your taxes now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

We won 3 in a row when strapped for cash, I wouldn't write us off because we didn't spend money that was never promised in the first place ;)

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    We won 3 in a row when strapped for cash, I wouldn't write us off because we didn't spend money that was never promised in the first place ;)

I'm not writing you off....HMRC might though! :)

I suppose Whyte didn't promise them money either?

HMRC won't do anything ;)

HMRC won't do anything ;)

Yer right, it will be the sheriff's office doing the dirty work :pac:

If Scotland had a NAMA, Rangers would surely be on the portfolio...

Well we should find out later today about the FC Sion/Europa leage debacle. Even if it goes Celtic's way, I won't believe it until I see Celtic players taking to the pitch in the first group match. Sion have vowed to appeal any decision against them, and I still expect UEFA will eventually back down and let them play, with possibly a fine and/or a ban from next season's competition.

Celtic will also appeal of course, I hope McBride QC is on the case already. ;)

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Well we should find out later today about the FC Sion/Europa leage debacle. Even if it goes Celtic's way, I won't believe it until I see Celtic players taking to the pitch in the first group match. Sion have vowed to appeal any decision against them, and I still expect UEFA will eventually back down and let them play, with possibly a fine and/or a ban from next season's competition.

Celtic will also appeal of course, I hope McBride QC is on the case already. ;)

Is McBride not too busy pissing off some of your own fans these days because of his politics? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if Celtic get back in they'll be pumped out quick enough from that group lets be honest, might be better off not being in it!

Only plus side for them would be some cash, that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Only plus side for them would be some cash, that's it.

I think the money would be minuscule really and i cant see us having a decent run in it. Wouldn't get out of the group imo but still European football is important to the club

Is McBride not too busy pissing off some of your own fans these days because of his politics? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if Celtic get back in they'll be pumped out quick enough from that group lets be honest, might be better off not being in it!

McBride was a tory when he was something of hero to some fans, taking on the SFA. Still a tory so i dont know why fans care tbh. Not everyone associated with celtic is a left wing republican

McBride was a tory when he was something of hero to some fans, taking on the SFA. Still a tory so i dont know why fans care tbh. Not everyone associated with celtic is a left wing republican

I'm not saying they are mate, I just found it funny how quickly a section of fans turned on him so suddenly, between that and him recommending you drop the word "hun".

I think the money would be minuscule really and i cant see us having a decent run in it. Wouldn't get out of the group imo but still European football is important to the club

1 million guaranteed, could get someone in with decent wages.

Doesn't bother me what his politics are tbh!

I'll never understand that attitude to Europe. If we get in, and get pumped, then so be it. We'll have had six games to watch, six games to gain revenue from, and six games for players - some of whom have never played in Europe - to get experience. I never get the "we're better off out of it" thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

What's everyone's opinion on the Sion/Celtic situation?

I know Sion fielded ineligible players, but it does not dismiss the fact that we played absolutely terribly over the two legs and rightly deserved to get knocked out.

Even if Sion do get kicked out and Celtic instated, it will be a sad day, as it shows that despite playing like a bunch of amateurs, a team can still make it to the group stages through the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I know Sion fielded ineligible players, but it does not dismiss the fact that we played absolutely terribly over the two legs and rightly deserved to get knocked out.

Even if Sion do get kicked out and Celtic instated, it will be a sad day, as it shows that despite playing like a bunch of amateurs, a team can still make it to the group stages through the back door.

we do not deserve to be in the group stages.

Sion have broken FIFAs rules and deserve to be punished, we have done nothing to deserve benefiting from this.

I wish we'd take the moral high ground and withdraw the objection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It does not make up for the fact that we fluffed it. If Sion get thrown out, I will greatly support Celtic taking their place, what Celtic supporter wouldn't?

I'll be happy if we do get in, as said above we need our players and more importantly IMO our manager to get European experience even if it is by losing in a tough group.

On the performances we put in against Sion I was as angry as any Celtic supporter after the games, we really should be beating these teams well at home and be capable of good results away.

That said we were missing 3-4 starters in the first game(and they weren't fit for the second) so i'd like to have seen how we would have done against Sion if they were without their 4-5 'ineligble' players.

They broke the rules so need to be punished, if we benefit from that I won't complain, maybe our players will have a point to prove

I'm not saying they are mate, I just found it funny how quickly a section of fans turned on him so suddenly, between that and him recommending you drop the word "hun".

That was kinda my point. I know what you mean.

Sion are out!!

Celtic back in, check celtic's website for details

We deserved to get knocked out, but if Sion get thrown out for breaking the rules, I'll happily take their place. I wish we'd won so that this decision wasn't even necessary, but we were terrible, especially at home.

It won't be a sad day though. We've already had the sad day, if we get back in it'll be a happy day! It's not a back door by the way, getting in the back door is different to taking someone elses place.

Edit: We're back, for the moment:
    http://celticfc.net/newsstory?item=1508

We're back in, Sion thrown out, Both legs awarded 3-0 to Celtic so thats the away win we've been waiting for:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Celtics player of the year will be UEFA :D

Now if they could redraw the groups Id be alot happier but thats just been a bit too cheeky perhaps!

We're back in, Sion thrown out, Both legs awarded 3-0 to Celtic so thats the away win we've been waiting for:D

Cool an away win!

This could rumble on a while longer if Sion lodge an appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Great to see we are getting the opportunity to play in Europe. Of course we would have liked to have done it by beating Sion but without their ineligible players we may have done.

@UglyBolloxFace I don't see how this is a sad day. Rules are in place for a reason and Sion broke them. Doesn't change the fact Celtic were awful but we are more than entitled to our place in the Europa League because our opponents didn't play by the rules.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me what his politics are tbh!

I'll never understand that attitude to Europe. If we get in, and get pumped, then so be it. We'll have had six games to watch, six games to gain revenue from, and six games for players - some of whom have never played in Europe - to get experience. I never get the "we're better off out of it" thinking.

I'm not usually one for the "better off out of it" way of thinking but the Old Firm are in such a mess at the minute it's only adding pressure to the managers, you can put your house on if Celtic draw at home to Rennes that the fans will be sick with Lennon again. A break from European football to get our own houses in order would probably be a blessing in disguise!

I'm quite glad you're in it, thats 6 extra games for you :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement