Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Overall a poor half from Celtic, started well be got sloppy.

Needs to be a lot better in the 2nd half, not sure why Commons was moved out wide, he doesn't work hard enough to play there. Sammy one of the few players getting pass marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The movement out of Hooper has been terrible, no wonder he's not getting good ball in places he can get a shot off. In general the movement in the final 3rd is poor and as a result we see these hollywood cross field passes by Commons in an attempt to find someone in space.

I'd get Hooper off the field, Samaras up top and bring on Kayal and have more control in midfield and have Commons & Forrest on the flanks

F**k sake!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Feck's sake! Uphill battle to qualify now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Qa Yama thinks he's going to Man City after this? No chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

F*ck it. When are Celtic gonna learn to play in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What's the crack down to 10 men or one down hard to tell from posts above!!

What a ball by Samaras, Forrest take note of it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

henke wrote: »
    F*ck it. When are Celtic gonna learn to play in Europe!

I don't think Helsinki can believe that they are 0-1 up here tbh. They look much more confident now than they did at the start of the first half.

Hooper, 1-1.

• Advertisement

Great ball by Sammy! 1 - 1

Nice 1 another 2 needed

Beautiful ball from Samaras for that, our best player tonight so far imo.

Gooood Hooper! Playing better now.

Soups123 wrote: »
    What's the crack down to 10 men or one down hard to tell from posts above!!

1-1 now

HJK scored after a Forster save came off Wanyama are went straight to a HJK player.

Celtic just equalised via a great pass by Samaras across the box for Hooper to tap in from 5 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Hooper Man. Was just going to post that Stokes should be brought on!

We need to up the tempo now.

• Advertisement

Wanyama really suspect tonight. Terrible pass.

Wanyama way to casual to play centre half

Mulgrew!!

We've seen him make those runs before, I won money on him doing that against Rangers!!

PauloMN wrote: »
    Wanyama really suspect tonight. Terrible pass.

Yeah he's having a shocker, being dragged miles out of position

2 - 1 Charlie Mulgrew!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Mulgrew :D

• Advertisement

Chico, fair f**ks!!!! Camera showing a sub for Helsinki at the time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Got in from London about 30 minutes ago, had a shower then came down to watch the 2nd half on a dodgy stream and it was 1-0 to Helsinki. I despair at Celtic in Europe

Here is Hoopers equaliser, great ball from Samaras

Edit Mulgrew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

2-1 charlie

Yeeeeees more goals please

'Mon Celtic, make this 3 or 4-1 for us now.

Nice one. Think we need to kill this game off tonight if we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

i think my stream is designed so it doesnt overwhelm you... you hear what happens then a couple of seconds later you see it... thats if it shows you at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

'Mon Celtic, make this 3 or 4-1 for us now.
    henke wrote: »
    Nice one. Think we need to kill this game off tonight if we can.

Yeah think we need another couple of goals, if it stays like this HJK will fancy their chances in the 2nd leg.

Stokes on for Commons, disappointed with Commons tonight hopefully Stokes can cause them trouble.

Stokes on, Commons didn't look impressed. Not sure I would have been either. Hope I'm proved wrong. 10 offsides is all I'm expecting from Stokes in this game.

• Advertisement

Some lazy attempt at a tackle there by Wanyama. If he's not interested in playing he can fúck off!

Dempsey wrote: »
    Some lazy at attempt at a tackle there by Wanyama. If he's not interested in playing he can fúck off!

ha he was almost lying down waiting for the guy to get to him, pretty obvious on tonights showing that centre half isn't his best position.

RoryMac wrote: »
    ha he was almost lying down waiting for the guy to get to him, pretty obvious on tonights showing that centre half isn't his best position.

I wouldnt use playing out of position as an excuse for that. Thats just pure laziness

Mon Chico, make it a good one.

Charles Mulgrew as Tosh calls him has been the best performer so far

Charles Mulgrew as Tosh calls him has been the best performer so far

I'd have Sammy and Matthews ahead of him but don't think Charlie has been help much by Wanyama's performance

Broony.... ffs!

I'd have Sammy and Matthews ahead of him but don't think Charlie has been help much by Wanyama's performance

+1

Sammy has been great except for a couple of Sammy moments (if you know what I mean).

Matthews has worked his socks off.

Maybe I'm mad, but I would have left Commons on. Stokes has added little imo.

Vic has looked so lazy.

+1

Sammy has been great except for a couple of Sammy moments (if you know what I mean).

Matthews has worked his socks off.

Maybe I'm mad, but I would have left Commons on. Stokes has added little imo.

Vic has looked so lazy.

Agreed until he was moved into midfield, now he's finding space and speading the play around which is just what we needed in the first half.

As Dempsey said being played out of position isn't an excuse for his laziness but I wouldn't be too harsh on him after 1 game

• Advertisement

Well game over, 2 - 1 leaves it all to play for next week. I'm expecting a nervous 90 mins.

More than anything though it's good to have the footie back!

Agreed until he was moved into midfield, now he's finding space and speading the play around which is just what we needed in the first half.

As Dempsey said being played out of position isn't an excuse for his laziness but I wouldn't be too harsh on him after 1 game

Was just thinking as I was typing that, he's just had his best 5 mins of the game!

2-1 final score, happy with the win of course, but the away goal kinda spoiled the game and makes the 2nd leg a very different affair. Helsinki will be thinking they can take this tie after this first leg. We'll have to be at our best, otherwise it's bye bye Europe. We will definitely need to have the scoring boots on next week.

Celtic were by far the better side though in the 2nd half. Hopefully they'll come out and score an early one next week to cancel out their away goal tonight. Would make for a much less tense game if they could.

Leaves the tie on a knife edge. Hope to fck Lenny gets them to perform better away from home. We should've won this by 3 or 4. Anyway an away goal or two next week should see us through, we'll probably need goals because with no decent centre half partner for Chuck we'll struggle defensively.

Typical Celtic, win the match but give the opposition all the encouragement in the world for the 2nd leg! Aberdeen will fancy their chances aswell!

I think Matthews, Mulgrew, Samaras & Ledley looked the sharpest

I've a sneaky feeling that Wanyama is this season's Jelavic, I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm guessing that Commons was brought off on physio advice, i.e. that playing him beyond 60 min statistically makes him far more prone to aggravating his injury (that sports science stuff) Stokes offered nothing worth talking about. McCourt was ineffective aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I don't know, if that's a good result. Them Finns only need a draw, they seem to be good on the counter attack...but I keep thinking positive

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I don't know, if that's a good result. Them Finns only need a draw, they seem to be good on the counter attack...but I keep thinking positive

They need a win, a draw would do us.

The only way we could go through without scoring would be a 0-0 draw. That simply won't happen, we'll concede at least one, so we'll have to attack from the off. An early goal is vital and will really settle the nerves.

• Advertisement

I'd start with Hooper on his own, with Samaras left and Commons right and Brown, Ledley and either Wanyama or Kayal in midfield. I'd go go with Wanyama just about, that's if Rogne is fit to play center half? Otherwise he'll have to play Wanyama center half and play Kayal midfield. Forrest was much better in the 2nd half tonight, but I'd start him on the bench for the 2nd leg.

Hopefully as Tosh and Tom Boyd said tonight the extra game time and match fitness will kick in by next Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

They need a win, a draw would do us.

The only way we could go through without scoring would be a 0-0 draw. That simply won't happen, we'll concede at least one, so we'll have to attack from the off. An early goal is vital and will really settle the nerves.

There you can see, how confused I can get :eek:

I was singing the Paddy McCourt song all the time, the cats looking at me...maybe that's why :D

We should be much closer to match fitness when we play them again but conceding is a real possibility. We have to setup to attack them, sitting back wouldn't be the best idea. I'd reckon Lustig could start CB for the away game. Reasons a) Wanyama's performance b) Lustig looked decent @ CB in preseason c) used to playing on artificial pitches.

The weekend should tell alot i suppose

EDIT Forgot all about Rogne, obviously he should start if fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dempsey wrote: »

I've a sneaky feeling that Wanyama is this season's Jelavic, I hope he proves me wrong.

You'd get some odds on him finishing Everton's top scorer...;)

Miminal hit taken on the TV deal tbh

Instead of going to £16m a season, the SPL will be getting £13m a season. Yes, thats the same we were getting under the old deal and the same we were getting from Setanta 4 years ago!

The hit is with Sportfive which generates a whopping 2.7m per season, not a lot tbh. Certainly nothing near the scaremongering that was going on by Regan & Doncaster

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement