Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

And there's the brainfart by the referee!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

delighted with the scoreline here maybe now the board will loosen up the purse strings.... doubtful

delighted with the scoreline here maybe now the board will loosen up the purse strings.... doubtful

Beating HJK guarantees group stages of the Europa League minimum so the budgets will probably be revised for that.

I want a clean sheet here, Celtic should be holding onto the ball better despite being 1 man down.

excellent team goal there!! Well done Samaras!

• Advertisement

Lovely goal from Samaras

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Wanyama will be suspended for the first leg of the next qualifier I guess. he hasn't played well in either of these games v HJK anyway, Kayal will slot in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Samaras :D
    Well done Celtic.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Beating HJK guarantees group stages of the Europa League minimum so the budgets will probably be revised for that.

I want a clean sheet here, Celtic should be holding onto the ball better despite being 1 man down.

didnt catch the first half any good? seems to be a lot of bookings

Edit: don't understand why Murphy gets a run over the other guys

didnt catch the first half any good? seems to be a lot of bookings

Played well, retained possession very well but very poor finishing by several players in front of their goal.

The referee has been very fussing over contact/tackling by Celtic. Wanyama being sent off was ridiculous, should have gotten a final warning for it imo. He lacked common sense all through the match.

EDIT Murphy is in the shop window

• Advertisement

Played well, retained possession very well but very poor finishing by several players in front of their goal.

The referee has been very fussing over contact/tackling by Celtic. Wanyama being sent off was ridiculous, should have gotten a final warning for it imo. He lacked common sense all through the match.
    haha maybe its hugh dallas in one of these http://wikichill.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/disguise.jpg

Very good win, pity about the sending off

So CFR Cluj, Helsingborg, Maribor, Hapoel Kiryat Shmona & Partizan Belgrade or AEL Limassol is who we can get in the draw on Friday. Hopefully we'll be up to speed by the time we play whoever we get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

So wCFR Cluj, Helsingborg, Maribor, Hapoel Kiryat Shmona & Partizan Belgrade or AEL Limassol is who we can get in the draw on Friday. Hopefully we'll be up to speed by the time we play whoever we get

If Molde beat Basel, then it'll be them instead of Cluj in your draw.

Helsinborg would be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wouldn't mind it if you drew Partizan :pac:

3162211572a8912467514l.jpg

edit: And now I've gone and jinxed them, they're 1-0 down :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just in to check the score bhoys..... YAAAAASSS!!!!!!! Clean sheet in away leg also..... wtf?!?!

Thanks ADIG for the goals also as always, nice to be able to see them in this thread when away. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

PauloMN wrote: »
    Just in to check the score bhoys..... YAAAAASSS!!!!!!! Clean sheet in away leg also..... wtf?!?!

Thanks ADIG for the goals also as always, nice to be able to see them in this thread when away. :-)

I wouldn't complain to see that in the group stages :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So CFR Cluj, Helsingborg, Maribor, Hapoel Kiryat Shmona & Partizan Belgrade or AEL Limassol is who we can get in the draw on Friday. Hopefully we'll be up to speed by the time we play whoever we get
    I reckon AEL Limassol are the one you would want to avoid. The Israeli or Slovenian teams probably the best option.

• Advertisement

Great little shimmy from Charlie there for the cross for Joe Ledley's goal. Mulgrew is maturing into an excellent versatile footballer. His attitude has been top class and is the key to his progression as a player.

Tis gas to see our left footed CB running down the right flank, cutting inside doing stepovers and sticking the ball onto someone running to the backpost.

His transformation from very average LB to quality CB is nothing short of amazing.
    CSF wrote: »
    I reckon AEL Limassol are the one you would want to avoid. The Israeli or Slovenian teams probably the best option.

We played in Israel in recent years, the weather there is something that would be a problem for our players, same would go for AEL.

Helsingborg would suit us best all things considered. Wouldnt mind a crack at Maribor either. CFR Cluj are not great but the travelling required makes it a tie I'd like to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Tis gas to see our left footed CB running down the right flank, cutting inside doing stepovers and sticking the ball onto someone running to the backpost.

His transformation from very average LB to quality CB is nothing short of amazing.
    CSF wrote: »

We played in Israel in recent years, the weather there is something that would be a problem for our players, same would go for AEL.

Helsingborg would suit us best all things considered. Wouldnt mind a crack at Maribor either. CFR Cluj are not great but the travelling required makes it a tie I'd like to avoid.

Meh. It's a 4 hour flight direct to cluj. No big deal.(and unlike myself, I doubt Celtic will need to sleep in luton airport!)

Eirebear wrote: »
    Meh. It's a 4 hour flight direct to cluj. No big deal.(and unlike myself, I doubt Celtic will need to sleep in luton airport!)

Thought it would be longer/more awkward to get there for some reason. How do you know that there are direct flights to Cluj from Luton? Were you out there?

Still though, I'd rather the least amount of travelling possible and the most similar climate to Scotland for the next round.

Celtic will charter a plane for the trip. That is what they did for the Helsinki trip as there are no direct flights from Glasgow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Eirebear wrote: »

Thought it would be longer/more awkward to get there for some reason. How do you know that there are direct flights to Cluj from Luton? Were you out there?

Still though, I'd rather the least amount of travelling possible and the most similar climate to Scotland for the next round.
    Yeah, been to Romania a few times and flew back from cluj to luton the last time we went.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19168321

Neil Lennon revealed guaranteed European football until December may allow Celtic to expand their squad.

Now with 8 more European matches to play, Celtic will now go after some players. Interesting to see who they can get now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19168321

Neil Lennon revealed guaranteed European football until December may allow Celtic to expand their squad.

Now with 8 more European matches to play, Celtic will now go after some players. Interesting to see who they can get now.

I was reading that, good to see. I thought the original decision was to wait and see if Celtic qualify for the CL Group stages, which would only leave a few days to sign players. But all the better to sign players before that because if they leave it too late there'll be feck all left.

I'd imagine the sale of Ki would finance a couple of signings before we find out if it's CL or EL football this season. Big difference in the money between the CL and the EL I believe.

Celtic would have 3 budgets projected for this season and at board level, they'd just have to wait for the results to happen before they could sanction budget increase. The big budget increase will lie with actually qualifying for the UCL as the Europa League is mostly about extra gate receipts whereas UCL involves gate receipts and massive tv revenue.

Also, we dont have to blow the entire budget increase in this transfer window, we could wait to use it early next summer in an attempt to improve our chance of qualifying for the UCL again. I rather not see panic buys, we've had enough of those in recent years and use the money wisely to help qualify for next years tournament, build the Scottish coefficient so that we can be budgeting for Europa League group stages at a minimum from the start of the summer rather than having to wait until the 2nd week of August.

Fairly sure that if Ki gets an Olympic medal he will become exempt from military service and that will increase his price tag and also Celtic's desire to keep him long term. I think Celtic always wanted to sell him as long as he has military service hanging over him. From Lennon's comments in recent days, he doesnt know how it affects his contract if he was drafted directly after the Olympics for example.

• Advertisement

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2013/draws/index.html

The draw is starting....

EDIT

Basel v Cluj
    Helsingborg v Celtic
    BATE v Hapoel
    AEL v Anderlecht
    Dinamo v Maribor

I think the majority of Celtic fans wanted to get Helsingborg. Its gonna be a tough match, much tougher than HJK but we should win. They are 6th this season, 17 games in which is dangerous because they could turn their entire focus onto these games rather than be distracted with a title challenge & UCL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Happy with that, great chance to make the group stages, they have been struggling this year and have already had a change of management aswell I think. Second leg at home is good aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Yeah probably the best draw we could have hoped for, not that it will be easy but no concerns over travelling etc

Away leg first should help. We have a good chance of qualifying from this. Is Henrik Larsson on the coaching staff there? I know he finished his playing career with Helsingborg, it's his home town club.

Away leg first should help. We have a good chance of qualifying from this. Is Henrik Larsson on the coaching staff there? I know he finished his playing career with Helsingborg, it's his home town club.

No he's managing Landskrona in the 2nd division but Helsingborg do have a statue of Larsson outside their stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Celtic should be able to do it. An away goal and then a decent win at Parkhead would do me fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone showing the game v Real Madrid tomorrow?

NIMAN wrote: »

Saw someone on twitter mention ITV4 as showing the game, haven't checked the listings so not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

RoryMac wrote: »

Saw someone on twitter mention ITV4 as showing the game, haven't checked the listings so not 100%
    Yep had a look at the listings it's on ITV4 at 6.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I like the fact we have the first leg on the road this time. Plus by the time the game comes around we will have had the Real Madrid game plus another league game under our belts so hopefully we will be into something of decent flow sharpness wise for the tie.

Given the total lack of tv money compared to the bigger leagues that we get if we were able to win this tie and make the group stages of the champions league that would make a massive difference for us financially.

UCL group stages alone will result in ~20-25% increase in turnover compared to the ~£60-65m turnover projected for last season.

• Advertisement

Samaras, Lustig, Forrest, McCourt and Brown will not be involved in the match tomorrow as they havent travelled to Philly. Also Kayal is observing Ramadan so between that and abit of jet lag he wont be near 100%. Callum McGregor and Marcus Fraser have travelled according the CFC website

No military service for Ki Sung-Yueng! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So if I'm doing a bet, can I do Madrid -6 goals then!

I'd say the fact that we are nearer full fitness than they are will help us alot, 3 r 4 i'd say. Hopefully Lennon doesnt try that 3-5-2 again, if he does it will be 6!

Celtic should've sent a 2nd string team to Philadelphia to play R Madrid. A meaningless game. Hopefully we'll meet them in the CL this season.

Yeah go ahead bud.

Celtic should've sent a 2nd string team to Philadelphia to play R Madrid. A meaningless game. Hopefully we'll meet them in the CL this season.

Its 2nd string enough tbh. The management and the players are still on a steep learning curve. We should be able to learn something from playing top european opposition, even if its a friendly and we've a slight fitness advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I'd say the fact that we are nearer full fitness than they are will help us alot, 3 r 4 i'd say. Hopefully Lennon doesnt try that 3-5-2 again, if he does it will be 6!

Good experience for our young lads to play against Real Madrid tomorrow even if it is only a friendly. Could get a bit scary scoreline wise though. Real Madrid just tore AC Milan apart 5-1.

Beram Kayal ‏@beramangela

Good morning everybody.looking forward the game with the best club ever Real Madrid.
    Beram Kayal ‏@beramangela

Good luck for my team �� Enjoy the play ⚽

Again, either bad english or he's not starting this match. I dont expect him to play a full 90mins whilst fasting during the daytime as he cant possibly be anywhere near his best.

CELTIC (4-4-2) Zaluska; Matthews, K. Wilson, Mulgrew, Izaguirre; McGeouch, Kayal, Ledley, Commons; Stokes, Murphy
    Subs: Forster, Rogne, Hooper, McGregor, Fraser

I'd like to see good performances from Wilson & Murphy. A few other have to prove their doubters wrong aswell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement