Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Mind the gap. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

PauloMN wrote: »
    Mind the gap. ;)

You need a proper warning for something like that...

mind-the-gap-logo.jpg

Glasgow council Health & Safety officials want the signs installed in Ibrox and around Govan for the next 6 months! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Fantastic win today to round up the three games in the past week. I thought we'd likely drop points at some stage, probably v Hearts, but they've been playing so well. Today was a hard-earned victory, but as said above those are championship winning games. Missed the first 20 mins so missed the goal, will have a look at it now. Thought Dan's sending off was a strange one, and some of the ref decisions during the game we bizarre. Hopefully we will appeal that red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Eirebear wrote: »
    You're some man bob, ill give you that. Let's all forget about the handball at the same time too...

All I'm asking for is evidence that the ball crossed the line yet nobody has provided any. I think it's safe to say that the ref actually made the correct decision.

Do you think the ref made the right decision?

Did Ledley handle it? I'll go have a look...

EDIT: I see absolutely no handball. For proof please look at 1:10 on the attached clip, conclusively proves that Ledley's hand does not touch the ball.

Celtic's interim financial results announced this morning...

Celtic plc Interim results
    By: on 13 Feb, 2012 08:22

CELTIC plc have released the interim results for the six months to December 31, 2011.

Key Events/Highlights

• Turnover increased by 3.1% to £29.27m.

• Operating expenses increased by 3.3% to £28.39m.

• Profit from trading of £0.88 (2010: £0.92m).

• Profit on disposal of intangible assets £3.15m (2010: £13.20m).

• Profit before taxation of £0.18m (2010:£7.06m)

• Period end bank debt of £7.05m (2010: £9.09m).

• Investment in football personnel of £4.44m (2010: £9.00m).

• 16 home fixtures (2010: 15).

• Currently first in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League

• Continued participation in both domestic Cup competitions.

CHAIRMAN´S STATEMENT
    I am pleased to report on our financial results for the period of six months which ended on 31 December 2011. The key highlights are set out in summary form on the introductory page.

On the park, the momentum that was lost at the start of this football season has been more than recovered. At the date of today’s report we have a lead in the SPL, which we look to carry through to the end of the season. Our entry into this season’s UEFA Europa League Group stages was unorthodox, involving several visits to UEFA and eventually the Court of Arbitration for Sport. We were successful in our claims and the team also showed that we deserved to be involved, performing well against top European opposition in a difficult group.

European participation contributed to our turnover for the half-year, which increased slightly (3.1%) over the previous year, by £0.88m to £29.27m. This increase offset reduced revenues from pre-season tours and merchandising. Both are areas where the marketplace domestically and internationally remains very challenging. Like many with a presence in the high street, we continue to see difficult conditions driven by a squeeze on household incomes.

Operating expenses also rose slightly, to £28.39m (3.3%), in line with the increase in turnover, with our profit from trading before asset transactions and exceptional operating expenses at £0.88m (2010: £0.91m) virtually unchanged. The second half of the financial year is expected to follow a similar trading pattern to that experienced in previous years. Our period end bank debt of £7.05m is around £2.0m less than at the same time last year, and remains manageable, and well within the Club’s facilities.

At this time last year we reported a profit from player transfer activity of £3.20m. This year, the comparable figure is considerably less, at £3.15m. The key dynamic driving these interim results and our financial performance for the remainder of this financial year is our player investment and transfer strategy. We invested £4.44m in the first half of the year and have followed this with further acquisitions in the most recent January registration window.

We can confidently say that the strength and depth of the player pool now available to the Football Manager is better than it has been for several seasons. This has been a conscious decision that the financial discipline of the past has allowed us to take. As a result, we have been able to enjoy the virtuous trilogy of being able to keep our best players, build and develop significant value in our player pool, and see improvements in football performance.

Although we have a clear short-term focus for this season, we have not forgotten our future; it is very encouraging to see our youth players holding their own in the Next Generation tournament, the rising presence in the first team of talented young professionals identified through our scouting system and Youth Academy, and increases in the numbers of families and children coming to watch them.

Finally, it would be remiss of me not to pay tribute in this statement to our Football Manager, Neil Lennon. In the early part of this season he faced an uncharacteristic run of poor results in a calm, professional and resolute manner, and with unshakeable self-belief he has put us in a strong position to challenge for all three domestic trophies.

The bond between this Club and its supporters has seldom been stronger and as we move into the remainder of the football season, there is much to look forward to.

Ian P Bankier

Chairman
    February 13, 2012

"Football Manager" :rolleyes::D

Bankier isnt 100% on the football lingo!

Great to see that the financial side of things is still performing very well despite having alot of deadwood on the books

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17013512

Celtic don't need Rangers, says Peter Lawwell
    But Lawwell says the eventuality of their Old Firm rivals going bust "would have no material effect on Celtic".

"Our aspirations and horizons are to dominate in Scotland but also beyond that; we want to compete at the highest level again in Europe," said Lawwell.

"We have a stand-alone strategy, a stand-alone financial plan and a robustness hopefully that will take us through that.

Very happy to see Lawwell making Celtic's position very clear. Some Rangers fans have this illusion that Celtic care if they float or sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Dempsey wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17013512

Celtic don't need Rangers, says Peter Lawwell

Very happy to see Lawwell making Celtic's position very clear. Some Rangers fans have this illusion that Celtic care if they float or sink.

I could not agree more. Very happy with Lawwell saying this. Nice timing as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Hopefully Lenny keeps everyone focused after the news today, the last thing we need is losing our focus and not pushing home our advantage.

I'm expecting some good banners over the next few games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

What a day. It's only fitting I post my 1888th post in here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ColeTrain wrote: »
    What a day. It's only fitting I post my 1888th post in here :)

Superb timing. Like a Gary Caldwell tackle, oh on second thoughts

I wonder what delights await us today?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Superb timing. Like a Gary Caldwell tackle, oh on second thoughts

go easy on Gary, he's one of our top scorers in european competitions.....pity they're all own goals!

For me Bobby, being where we are today while looking across the city is in itself a delight. I've always been one for respecting our board and how they conduct the business of running our club, even when it's been frustrating - during transfer windows for example. But spending within your means is a virtue that has never rung truer today when we look at how Celtic are reducing their (already pretty small in relative terms) bank debt at a time when other clubs are falling apart.

Fergus McCann should be a very proud man today, along with our current board, of how they have run the club. We're in safe hands. We have adopted to our financial situation, and have been doing so for years when others were spending money that essentially was not theirs to spend. We have a fantastic young squad now which has been brought about by the combination of needing to keep our costs down and an excellent scouting system. We are light years ahead of the rest of the SPL in terms of how our club is run, and it has put us in a very strong position for the future imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

PauloMN wrote: »
    For me Bobby, being where we are today while looking across the city is in itself a delight. I've always been one for respecting our board and how they conduct the business of running our club, even when it's been frustrating - during transfer windows for example. But spending within your means is a virtue that has never rung truer today when we look at how Celtic are reducing their (already pretty small in relative terms) bank debt at a time when other clubs are falling apart.

Fergus McCann should be a very proud man today, along with our current board, of how they have run the club. We're in safe hands. We have adopted to our financial situation, and have been doing so for years when others were spending money that essentially was not theirs to spend. We have a fantastic young squad now which has been brought about by the combination of needing to keep our costs down and an excellent scouting system. We are light years ahead of the rest of the SPL in terms of how our club is run, and it has put us in a very strong position for the future imo.

Couldn't agree more, our club learned it's lesson nearly 20 years ago and is run as well as any football club. We've been proactive on the financial side of the club and although it doesn't always win the approval of fans days like yesterday show that it is the only approach that can be taken long term.

We were lucky that a guy like McCann came along when he did, made the changes needed and built a solid base for the club to grow, who knows where we'd be if we had got a Craig Whyte instead!

RoryMac wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, our club learned it's lesson nearly 20 years ago and is run as well as any football club. We've been proactive on the financial side of the club and although it doesn't always win the approval of fans days like yesterday show that it is the only approach that can be taken long term.

We were lucky that a guy like McCann came along when he did, made the changes needed and built a solid base for the club to grow, who knows where we'd be if we had got a Craig Whyte instead!

A craig Whyte style figure would have been hounded out of Celtic a long time ago. That a huge proportion of Rangers fans still believe in them speaks volumes for their subservience.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=721&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=9312
    The following Fast Track Player Reference has been received and will be dealt with by a Fast Track Tribunal on Thursday, 16 February 2012:

Player: Daniel Majstorovic, Celtic FC
    Match: Celtic v Inverness Caledonian Thistle - 11 February 2012
    Case: Claim of Wrongful Dismissal for Denying the Opposing Team a Goal or Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity

This should be a no brainer decision, even Richie Foran is calling for it to overturned!

:)

even Richie Foran is calling for it to overturned!

:)

Saw that, fair play to him. Poor decision for the sending off, and glad Celtic are appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Glasgow Celtic FC @celticReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

Our team must stay focused on the game. It's not unheard of for teams to throw away a fourteen point lead.

:D

• Advertisement

A downside to the recent events with Rangers is that the effort by Lennon and the players to turnaround the season will be probably be forgotten by many, it would've the sweetest League title I remember us winning!

RoryMac wrote: »
    A downside to the recent events with Rangers is that the effort by Lennon and the players to turnaround the season will be probably be forgotten by many, it would've the sweetest League title I remember us winning!

They'll only be forgotten by those who are not important Rory, they'll be remembered by the true Celtic fans.

Would be nice to win the league by more than 10 point though obviously, but I'm not going to let Rangers' administration ruin my title celebrations. ;)

14 points clear bhoys. Do we celebrate the title this early? :D

14 points clear bhoys. Do we celebrate the title this early? :D

Yes. It's ours. CHAMPIONS. That feels good! :pac:

Rumours doing the rounds that Cousin, Healy, Little, Kerkar, Aluko (and one other player) are going to be released tomorrow as they're out of contract in Summer and of no intrinsic value to Rangers. Also Bartley to be sent back to Arsenal.

Please note the word "rumour".

Rumours doing the rounds that Cousin, Healy, Little, Kerkar, Aluko (and one other player) are going to be released tomorrow as they're out of contract in Summer and of no intrinsic value to Rangers. Also Bartley to be sent back to Arsenal.

It would be comedy gold if they sent Cousin back, he wouldn't have had time to unpack his suitcase!

• Advertisement

Hearts sorted their tax bill, looks like the players wont be paid again this season! :pac:

I really thought we were gonna get a 2 birds with the one stone scenario! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Wouldnt surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Finally get to post in here, was going mad with just being able to thank posts! Great day, can't see celtic not winning the league now :)

Nothing quite like a bit of schadenfreude either :D

Oh ah Samaras of course ;)

For the day it is

Roses are red, shamrocks are green, this morning it was four but now it's fourteen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

While I think it's great for Celtic as a football club to more or less win the league now, I'd be cautious about gloating on two counts:

1/ Who's to say Celtics affairs are all in order or will remain so, they're similar sized clubs that have had similar sized transfer budgets.

2/ If this was to be the demise of Rangers, no matter how much you don't want it to be true, it absolutely will have an impact of the quality of league, in terms of football quality and appeal to big players, devalue the old firm derby, but without being pushed by another big club, standards will drop, that's a fact, and it will be a lot harder to keep up with Europe and without the big 2, the attraction to the league and investment will shrink.

It's great in many ways, but in reality I think it's a bad thing long term.

• Advertisement

The interim results for the year came out yesterday, we are in an excellent financial position considering the squad of players we have and the current financial climate of the SPL.

We have downsized before and still were able to compete in the SPL and Europe. We dont need Rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Just heard the big news earlier. Obviously this has massive implications for the title now and it is hard to see beyond Celtic, which is fantastic news for you guys. I think Celtic would have won anyway, but it is important not to be complacent now. I remember Celtic have won and lost titles before from being in weak and strong positions. It is a terrible sad day for Scottish football, and I hope it and Rangers can recover in time. Like many observers would acknowledge, Rangers demise is not good for Celtic in long term despite what those with Celtic connections are currently saying. I really hope Rangers can sort out their debts and come back reinvigorated for the sake of the Scottish game. The SPL has ended for this season, let's hope it doesn't die terminally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The interim results for the year came out yesterday, we are in an excellent financial position considering the squad of players we have and the current financial climate of the SPL.

We have downsized before and still were able to compete in the SPL and Europe. We dont need Rangers.
    I don't think you will find too many outside Glasgow Celtic who agree with you on that. Scottish football is in a bad enough state without losing 1 of the 2 things that make it in some way appealing.

CSF wrote: »
    I don't think you will find too many outside Glasgow Celtic who agree with you on that. Scottish football is in a bad enough state without losing 1 of the 2 things that make it in some way appealing.

Alot of those people are the first to have the knives out for Scottish Football regardless. Why would I care what they think?

Fact is, the SPL has taken several huge financial hits in the past decade because of collapsed TV deals and sponsorships. Despite that decline, and the huge debts incurred by every other club in the SPL, Celtic have a squad that would give MON's team a good run for their money without racking up debt

It's in a bad state alright. Outwith Celtic and Rangers it doesn't appeal to many. If Rangers go then what's the difference for Celtic?

If SKY pull out it doesn't matter, the TV money is insignificant.

Celtic might lose a few million every year from the derby games. Maybe a drop in season tickets. Still, those aren't massive problems. The club will adjust itself and get on with it.

Regular European football and the clubs signing policy is the ticket to not downsizing and I'm sure that's what the Celtic board are thinking too.

Alot of those people are the first to have the knives out for Scottish Football regardless. Why would I care what they think?

Fact is, the SPL has taken several huge financial hits in the past decade because of collapsed TV deals and sponsorships. Despite that decline, and the huge debts incurred by every other club in the SPL, Celtic have a squad that would give MON's team a good run for their money.
    The decline of the rest of the teams would have a much lesser effect than the decline of Rangers. For as long as I can remember it has always been just about Celtic and Rangers. If you remove one of these teams from the equation then Celtic no longer have any reason for someone to take interest who is not already interested. The only substitute to a credible rival as far as I can see it would be increased success in Europe, which given the ever increasing stature of other European leagues, I think that is less likely now than it has been in the past.

Wow what a day. The other side are in administartion officially and we are now 14 points clear. Personally I know some will say that might devalue us winning the tile this year. I disagree. It does not devalue the amazing fight back which Neil Lennon's side have done to come from 15 points behind to move 4 points clear ahead of todays administration pushing us 14 clear.
    I would also say the 10 points deduction is hopefully just the first punishment they suffer for the cheating which they have engaged in. They cheated every team in the spl for years and thus had much more financial resources available then they would have otherwise.

What was most interesting about today though is the revelation that since Whyte took over they have not paid any taxes and thus owe yet another 9m in unpaid taxes so they thus have been cheating this season as well.

I have a feeling things are going to get very interesting from here on in but for now I am going to enjoy the beautiful look of that current league table:D

It's in a bad state alright. Outwith Celtic and Rangers it doesn't appeal to many. If Rangers go then what's the difference for Celtic?

If SKY pull out it doesn't matter, the TV money is insignificant.

Celtic might lose a few million every year from the derby games. Maybe a drop in season tickets. Still, those aren't massive problems. The club will adjust itself and get on with it.

Regular European football and the clubs signing policy is the ticket to not downsizing and I'm sure that's what the Celtic board are thinking too.
    Its moreso about being able to create continual sustainable interest in the club. For what its worth, I don't think this is unique to Celtic or Scotland. If you remove Real Madrid from the equation, Barcelona also become a ****load less marketable, even with their ability to win the worlds greatest trophies.

The decline of the rest of the teams would have a much lesser effect than the decline of Rangers. For as long as I can remember it has always been just about Celtic and Rangers. If you remove one of these teams from the equation then Celtic no longer have any reason for someone to take interest who is not already interested. The only substitute to a credible rival as far as I can see it would be increased success in Europe, which given the ever increasing stature of other European leagues, I think that is less likely now than it has been in the past.

As Coletrain says, the % of turnover attributable to a competitive Rangers is not as significant as some are trying to suggest. Celtic have been operating in a climate that is not ideal for a long time now and they've adapted every step of the way.

European Football has always been a priority for Celtic, that wont change. I'd be very confident of the current squad progressing through the champions route of the UCL qualifiers next season. Its the best placed route that is very difficult to progress through.

As Coletrain says, the % of turnover attributable to a competitive Rangers is not as significant as some are trying to suggest. Celtic have been operating in a climate that is not ideal for a long time now and they've adapted every step of the way.

European Football has always been a priority for Celtic, that wont change. I'd be very confident of the current squad progressing through the champions route of the UCL qualifiers next season. Its the best placed route that is very difficult to progress through.

Spot on Dempsey and the above is basically a summary what Peter Lawwell said in his interview yesterday. Celtic's model is a self sustaining one not dependant on any other club but oursleves.

• Advertisement

I'd calm that confidence a bit. That Sion team you lost to (even with the ineligible players) won't be of half the standard of some of the teams you could be faced with. Celtic still didn't crack their European away day blues in this Europa League campaign so I wouldn't be holding Europe as your way out of the monotony of the SPL.

I'd calm that confidence a bit. That Sion team you lost to (even with the ineligible players) won't be of half the standard of some of the teams you could be faced with. Celtic still didn't crack their European away day blues in this Europa League campaign so I wouldn't be holding Europe as your way out of the monotony of the SPL.

The current team >>>> team that played sion

That team despite an injury crisis and poor domestic form faired well against Rennes, A. Madrid & Udinese. I think you are being sensationalist.

My confidence is very well measured considering that we'll be seeded and I have a fair idea of the level that unseeded teams, we'd be facing, play at.

The current team >>>> team that played sion

That team despite an injury crisis and poor domestic form faired well against Rennes, A. Madrid & Udinese. I think you are being sensationalist.

My confidence is very well measured considering that we'll be seeded and I have a fair idea of the level that unseeded teams, we'd be facing, play at.
    This year if Rangers had beaten Malmo they'd have been facing APOEL Nicosia, Wisla Krakow, Sturm Graz, Genk or Plzen. None of them away trips would suit Celtic. Genk probably best case scenario.

This year if Rangers had beaten Malmo they'd have been facing APOEL Nicosia, Wisla Krakow, Sturm Graz, Genk or Plzen. None of them away trips would suit Celtic. Genk probably best case scenario.

I'd be confident of the current Celtic squad getting a favourable result away from home against any of them. You are just looking to sensationalise history before Lennon became manager.

I'd be confident of the current Celtic squad getting a favourable result away from home against any of them. You are just looking to sensationalise history before Lennon became manager.
    Lennon is also 0 from 6 in terms of European away wins. I'm not sensationalising history, I'm just quoting it.

Lennon is also 0 from 6 in terms of European away wins. I'm not sensationalising history, I'm just quoting it.

Are you including the Sion result? :rolleyes:

Celtic are progressing well under Lennon, I'd be paying more attention to that than past results

The Sion debacle aside, Celtic performed well in the Europa. Should have beaten Rennes away, done okay against A.Madrid and should have taken more than 2 draws off Udinese.

Wanyama, Matthews and Rogne have all come into the first 11 since then and are all under 21. The squad has good depth now and is learning all the time. There's a good chance Celtic could be back in the group stages of the CL next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

We are champions now to all intents and purposes. The demise of Rangers is not a shock because it has been well flagged, still there is a surreal feeling about it. A huge challenge lies ahead for Celtic to improve the reputation of the game in Scotland.

With Lennon in charge and having come through that shaky period earlier in the season, I was hopeful that he could build a Celtic team to rival O'Neill's in terms of European impact. With the knowledge that Rangers will be in the doldrums for a while, Celtic should be free to concentrate on developing a team that can compete in the CL. We'll have to operate within our budgets, but we can still develop a team that make an impact in the Champions League.

In our dark days in the 90's, Rangers came close to winning the European Cup. They beat EPL champions of the day Leeds United and almost got to the final via the group system that was in place at the time. 1993 was the year I'm thinking of, I remember being at Parkhead in March of that year, for a 2-1 win under Liam Brady which served to be some respite in a time of Rangers domestic dominance and Rangers doing well in Europe to boot. What Rangers are going through now reminds me of those days when Celtic struggled.

Fck Rangers, they have to look after themselves.

Celtic must forge ahead, make the most of this time of domestic dominance, and build a right good side that will punch above its weight and make a real impression in the European game.

Are you including the Sion result? :rolleyes:

Celtic are progressing well under Lennon, I'd be paying more attention to that than past results
    Of course I am. Sion with the ineligible players are still alot weaker than what you should expect in the final CL qualifier.

• Advertisement

Of course I am. Sion with the ineligible players are still alot weaker than what you should expect in the final CL qualifier.

We played that match with 10 men for 89 minutes and won the match 3-0 ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement