Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I actually started it! As a fan of "the original richmans plaything club"
    I am very interested to see just how patient City's owners are.
    Obviously Roman famously isnt it

Well, saying I didn't participate in that thread, I'll give you my opinion here. Early in his tenure I was wary on Mancini, I thought he was too conservative and could have been more positive much of the time, however, he won me over and It's my hope he stays whether or not we win the title this year.

I think he's been good in the transfer market, for the most part, and although I still question some of his decisions with team selection, I'm still confident he's the right man for the City job and will bring success, we should definitely keep faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

gavredking wrote: »
    So, Aguero has a stupid foot injury thats ruled him out for tomorrows game?

Any idea what it is? Any of ye hear anything?

Maybe a Canizares moment?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/spain/newsid_1994000/1994707.stm

I believe it's an allergic reaction to a foot spray - swelling / blisters / burnt appearance etc.

I imagine he'll be out for two or three weeks. Not a good time for it to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Is the game on TV today gents/ladies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

karma_ wrote: »
    Well, saying I didn't participate in that thread, I'll give you my opinion here. Early in his tenure I was wary on Mancini, I thought he was too conservative and could have been more positive much of the time, however, he won me over and It's my hope he stays whether or not we win the title this year.

I think he's been good in the transfer market, for the most part, and although I still question some of his decisions with team selection, I'm still confident he's the right man for the City job and will bring success, we should definitely keep faith.

Hmmmmm, I think he has made one or two bad choices
    Balo, for one - who he has said today he just cannot trust.
    Nasri - over rated imo

I was also surprised at his defensive choices - quite surprised he didnt go for bigger names as he did in his attack.
    Your forward line and midfield is pretty much all set, maybe another flair\silva type player to unlock those difficult defensives, silva, like our mata, looks knackered from having to play a lot of games

I reckon a couple of first class defenders and you could take it on another level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

gavredking wrote: »
    So, Aguero has a stupid foot injury thats ruled him out for tomorrows game?

Any idea what it is? Any of ye hear anything?

Maybe a Canizares moment?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/spain/newsid_1994000/1994707.stm

Riding his sons mini-bike :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hmmmmm, I think he has made one or two bad choices
    Balo, for one - who he has said today he just cannot trust.
    Nasri - over rated imo

I was also surprised at his defensive choices - quite surprised he didnt go for bigger names as he did in his attack.
    Your forward line and midfield is pretty much all set, maybe another flair\silva type player to unlock those difficult defensives, silva, like our mata, looks knackered from having to play a lot of games

I reckon a couple of first class defenders and you could take it on another level

A Premier League manager has made one or two bad choices. He must be a bad manager then:D.

Balotelli was probably worth the risk as he could win a game on his own and he had worked with him previously so would have known all about him.
    Nasri hasn't played brilliantly(yet) but just cos you think he's over rated doesn't automatically make him a bad decision.

Yaya Toure, Aguero and David Silva would be some of his better signings but like all managers he's signed some failures like Jerome Boateng who still looks a decent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Is the match on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What do you guys make of Mancini publicly stating that he doesn't trust Balotelli. It seems like an odd move to make at this crucial time of the season.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What do you guys make of Mancini publicly stating that he doesn't trust Balotelli. It seems like an odd move to make at this crucial time of the season.

It's not that surprising though considering the player.
    Any other player i'd agree with you Mars Bar but he is extremely eccentric:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Maybe that's the sort of psychology that would work on Ballotelli. Does seem odd tho.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    It's not that surprising though considering the player.
    Any other player i'd agree with you Mars Bar but he is extremely eccentric:)

Oh I agree that he can be a bit out there on the pitch and would be liable to a booking or two but it's strange Mancini would say it so publicly when he'll need a striker to fill Aguero's boots. I know Tevez will be doing that job for the time that Aguero is out for. Surely Balotelli is more deserving of leading the line than Tevez.

greendom wrote: »
    Maybe that's the sort of psychology that would work on Ballotelli. Does seem odd tho.

Probably! Hopefully it doesn't work. :)

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Probably! Hopefully it doesn't work. :)

Hopefully it does :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mancini on the title race......

If we go eight points behind then it is finished," said Mancini. "It's clear we are disappointed. We have made some mistakes, me and the team.

"We have also been unlucky, like losing three or four key players at an important moment. But when you are a strong team you should be able to pass these difficult moments.

"Yet football can change in two or three games. I had an experience in Italy with Inter Milan when we were five points behind with five games to go yet we still went on to win the title."

-

Losing 3 or 4 players. Same can be said for many teams, especially Manchester United.

iBCiP.jpg

(Oh come on :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We need to win this season to keep Mancini safe, keep the investors happy, shut Man Utd fans up but most importantly put a more optimistic head on Xavi6:D

Yeahhhhh how's that all working out? ;)
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    We've bottled it very nicely and United will have the title sewn up by mid April.
    See I don't think we'll be close enough by then for the derby to matter
    folan wrote: »
    Xavi has been a city fan for too long.

yesterday was it. Typical city.

I really really didn't want to be right but it looks like the inbuilt cynical attitude is right yet again :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I really really didn't want to be right but it looks like the inbuilt cynical attitude is right yet again :o

I can still JUST about see it going down to the last game of the season. The problem then is will sunderland have anything to play for at home to United? Bottom line they may look easy wins on paper but both Wigan and QPR are fighting for their lives, i dont think they are cake walks for United, can see possibly 1 surprise draw in there. Beyond that, Everton at home is potentially tricky for them.

Realistically, Arsenal away this weekend is do-or-die for City. A win there and i can see a certain 9 points to follow v West Brom, Norwich and Wolves. It's a hugely kind little run of games, West Brom and Norwich nothing to play for, Wolves down....... whereas United have plenty of teams with things to play for upcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I can still JUST about see it going down to the last game of the season. The problem then is will sunderland have anything to play for at home to United? Bottom line they may look easy wins on paper but both Wigan and QPR are fighting for their lives, i dont think they are cake walks for United, can see possibly 1 surprise draw in there. Beyond that, Everton at home is potentially tricky for them.

Realistically, Arsenal away this weekend is do-or-die for City. A win there and i can see a certain 9 points to follow v West Brom, Norwich and Wolves. It's a hugely kind little run of games, West Brom and Norwich nothing to play for, Wolves down....... whereas United have plenty of teams with things to play for upcoming.

All good points but you are completely ignoring the fact that city's form is terrible and has been since before christmas (around the time Chelsea away game the rot started to set in). I cant see the form improving much in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is actually starting to feel like supporting the city of old:D

anyway if we lose to arsenal i think thats it but if we win i also have a feeling it will go down to the wire

Rich or poor its never easy following this club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

All good points but you are completely ignoring the fact that city's form is terrible and has been since before christmas (around the time Chelsea away game the rot started to set in). I cant see the form improving much in the short term.

This is the problem, not United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Does everyone really think City's form the last couple of games have been terrible? Really? I think we have been VERY unlucky in games. Decisions not going for us, Opposition scoring from any scrap of a chance. Alot of the poor results have been just unlucky.

Take Sunderland game, They had 3 chances, and scored all three. On top of that the first is an offside and the second the ref decides to keep play going until the score! At the same time, City shouldn't have switched off like that. It was frustrating to watch the lack of defensive awarness City had when attacking, where Sunderland were quick to hack down any City counter attack. Again the ref allowed this, as they have in so many games recently. Sporting Lisbon??

While we have been unlucky, Utd have been very lucky in their games with Fulham and Blackburn. But then again they had rotten luck in their previous games against Blackburn and Newcastle.

All these things balance out in the end, but with 7 games left to go I don't think this is over. Advantage defo Utd at this stage, but luck doesn't last, and there is no way Utd are going to not drop points. The Arsenal game will be the big game for City.

At the end of the day, I won't get caught up by some idiotic anti-city fans on here, and the more recent diehards that have comeout of the woodwork now they think Utd have won it. The aim was to secure a CL spot and challenge for the title. I think the box is ticked rightly on both. I'm very proud of what the lads have done this year and been thourooughly entertained too. As has the premiership, because of City, if any real football is being honest.

I believe City's time is coming, and very soon! I'm enjoying the journey, as I will on Derby day over there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

It's not just been luck, we've been poor especially compared to before xmas.

The Lisbon and Chelsea games I thought were particularly bad. The games at home to United and Liverpool in the cups too. Away to Stoke we couldn't get the ball in the last 5 mins, when we want to be pressing for a winner. We've lost more games after xmas than before. We haven't looked as dominant as before. There's a trend since xmas and it's more than bad luck or bad decisions. I never bought the decisions argument anyway, it's the teams job to put the game beyond bad luck or bad decisions.

I do agree it's been a great season overall and hopefully we build on again next season. This one isn't over yet either. We're relying on United to slip up which doesn't look likely and then relying on us to win nearly every remaining game which looks less likely at the moment.

If we beat Arsenal it might be enough to put some wind in our sails for the remaining games. We really need to step it up though.

Does everyone really think City's form the last couple of games have been terrible? Really? I think we have been VERY unlucky in games. Decisions not going for us, Opposition scoring from any scrap of a chance. Alot of the poor results have been just unlucky.

Take Sunderland game, They had 3 chances, and scored all three. On top of that the first is an offside and the second the ref decides to keep play going until the score! At the same time, City shouldn't have switched off like that. It was frustrating to watch the lack of defensive awarness City had when attacking, where Sunderland were quick to hack down any City counter attack. Again the ref allowed this, as they have in so many games recently. Sporting Lisbon??

While we have been unlucky, Utd have been very lucky in their games with Fulham and Blackburn. But then again they had rotten luck in their previous games against Blackburn and Newcastle.

All these things balance out in the end, but with 7 games left to go I don't think this is over. Advantage defo Utd at this stage, but luck doesn't last, and there is no way Utd are going to not drop points. The Arsenal game will be the big game for City.

At the end of the day, I won't get caught up by some idiotic anti-city fans on here, and the more recent diehards that have comeout of the woodwork now they think Utd have won it. The aim was to secure a CL spot and challenge for the title. I think the box is ticked rightly on both. I'm very proud of what the lads have done this year and been thourooughly entertained too. As has the premiership, because of City, if any real football is being honest.

I believe City's time is coming, and very soon! I'm enjoying the journey, as I will on Derby day over there :D

Yes. The form has indeed been pretty much terrible. But I do agree that there has been a fair degree of bud luck, and of course many bad decisions.

Jaysus lads, don't start blaming luck! The vultures will be circling in no time.

We simply haven't been good enough lately, i.e. for 80 minutes of a must win home game against Sunderland.

Jaysus lads, don't start blaming luck! The vultures will be circling in no time.

We simply haven't been good enough lately, i.e. for 80 minutes of a must win home game against Sunderland.

Don't get me wrong. Not blaming luck, just don't believe City have been as poor as people are making out. The Sunderland game was completley controlled by City and three lapses/breaks resulted in 3 goals. True, they stepped up a gear too late for the last ten minutes.

It's funny how the expectation has changed. I was just talking to a mate in Manchester during the week and he siad he has noticed himself urging/expecting 2 or 3 goal victories, where he always was used to getting an equiliser or defending a heavy loss. Everyone else seems to be having a go at City, obviously because they are afriad of the progress. I think we should be patient and support the team.

Too many fans in here turning on their clubs, but if fortunes change they were always behind them. I'd prefer to be not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Don't get me wrong. Not blaming luck, just don't believe City have been as poor as people are making out. The Sunderland game was completley controlled by City and three lapses/breaks resulted in 3 goals. True, they stepped up a gear too late for the last ten minutes.

It's funny how the expectation has changed. I was just talking to a mate in Manchester during the week and he siad he has noticed himself urging/expecting 2 or 3 goal victories, where he always was used to getting an equiliser or defending a heavy loss. Everyone else seems to be having a go at City, obviously because they are afriad of the progress. I think we should be patient and support the team.

Too many fans in here turning on their clubs, but if fortunes change they were always behind them. I'd prefer to be not one of them.

We have not been that bad its just that before Christmas it looked like it would be all over by now thats why it has been slightly dissappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Yeahhhhh how's that all working out? ;)

Damn it Xavi6, it's not working out good at all:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Porto have been fined £16,700 by Uefa after their fans racially abused Mario Balotelli #mcfc

Took em long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Porto have been fined £16,700 by Uefa after their fans racially abused Mario Balotelli #mcfc

Took em long enough.

That'll teach them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Do not like the sound of this...our most reliable striker. Must keep him, replace the other 3.

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?titulo=Real%20Madrid%20prioritise%20Aguero%20signing&id=642

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think city's lack of form is due to Silva being a bit burnt out. Everything was going through Silva and he was taking city tick but i think Mancini handled both him and Aguero badly earlier in the season. While others were being rotated/rested these two played the majority of games in europe and the league and they are feeling the effects of this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think city's lack of form is due to Silva being a bit burnt out. Everything was going through Silva and he was taking city tick but i think Mancini handled both him and Aguero badly earlier in the season. While others were being rotated/rested these two played the majority of games in europe and the league and they are feeling the effects of this now.

Isnt Aguero the most subbed player in the League?

Hes been rested plenty.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Isnt Aguero the most subbed player in the League?

Hes been rested plenty.

There is **** all difference in playing 80 minutes and playing 90 minutes, I would hardly call it plenty of rest tbh

There is **** all difference in playing 80 minutes and playing 90 minutes, I would hardly call it plenty of rest tbh

Theres 10 minutes difference, extra if theres injury time.

And thats only if he was subbed off after 80 minutes as you seem to think, if hes subbed off before, even more rest!

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Theres 10 minutes difference, extra if theres injury time.

And thats only if he was subbed off after 80 minutes as you seem to think, if hes subbed off before, even more rest!

Not going to bother explaining it to you as i expect you already know you are talking crap and also doing it purposely.

• Advertisement

Not going to bother explaining it to you as i expect you already know you are talking crap and also doing it purposely.

I know exactly what im talking about and its not crap.

Hes played one more game then Rooney who tends to play the full 90 minutes and hes usually subbed off around the 60-70 minute mark.

Everyone knows the last few minutes are the most tiring anyway.

So, its not fair to say hes been overplayed.

Silva on the other hand, maybe.

Although I reckon its the physicality thats taking a toll on him.

i dont think there is anyone 'turning'.... just stating the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Aguero's injury

Aguero
    during the match against Chelsea, I injured my ankle and it was sprayed with a topical anaesthetic that caused a burn on the upper part of my right foot. The injury worsened after a few days and when boils appeared I was told I wouldn´t play against Stoke and then against Sunderland.

i dont think there is anyone 'turning'.... just stating the facts.

Didn't mean in here as City fans. I meant in here as in the Arsenal fans turning on Wenger, Liverpool fans on the FA (because their manager isn't at fault, Utd fans on De Gea, etc. But then it's quickly forgotten and they deny ever doubting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Balotelli involved in car crash .

No reported injuries .

Not his fault seemingly .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Also reported that he slept with the same prostitute as Rooney(the young one, not the old one!!!!!)

He allegedly came out and admitted to it to stop a kiss and tell story going ahead.

Sooooo who's still optimistic now?

:pac:

I am

Whatever is said about Balotelli after this, Joe Hart has cost us more points than anyone this season.

And yes, Balotelli should have been taken off instead of Aguero on the sub, Mancini has to take the rap for that one, was lunacy to keep him on to be fair.

Mancini's position will surely come in to question now with the owners after the last month. He'll do very well to get another season.

Mancini's position will surely come in to question now with the owners after the last month. He'll do very well to get another season.

Let's not become 'that' kind of club. Stability is what is needed now and he deserves another season at the very least.

Let's not become 'that' kind of club. Stability is what is needed now and he deserves another season at the very least.

That wasn't my opinion of Mancini, it's what I think will happen, especially if Mourinho is in any way interested.

We've progressed in the league but there's some poor character in that squad as well as poor managerial decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Whatever is said about Balotelli after this, Joe Hart has cost us more points than anyone this season.

And yes, Balotelli should have been taken off instead of Aguero on the sub, Mancini has to take the rap for that one, was lunacy to keep him on to be fair.

What about all the great saves Hart made all season to help City win points?

Balotelli is a loose cannon, he has talent but hasn't got the mentality.
    He should be directed to not tackle because he can't plus the opposition players know his form and may try to get a reaction out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Jeez Xavi, can be hard sometimes to tell you apart from the opposition fans:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Really?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement