Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I guess we all expected it to happen...

Hazard signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hargreaves, Assulin and some kids gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mad Pablo rejecting an offer from Barcelona to sign a new contract with us apparently.

The times they are a changin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mad Pablo rejecting an offer from Barcelona to sign a new contract with us apparently.

The times they are a changin'.

Sweet:D

I was hoping our success this year would see players come to us (and not have it be said that it was only cos they were mercenaries)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I was enjoying this till I realised whoever made the video picked Robbie Williams version of 'We are the Champions' over Queens.

More mind boggling than the manner of City's victory! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

espn classic have been showing some of the playoffs from the 90's including the city v gillingham game. on again tomorrow afternoon if anyone fancies a bit of nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Division 3 to League Champions in 13 years

Apparently we're preparing a bid for Bale. Would love him to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

mmm one wonders........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Whats the source for this? i think he would be a great player for us but only at a reasonable price as hes not going to be a guaranteed starter. Good option for us, would like to keep johnson aswell and look to them to be our plan B when we need width

Nothing concrete, just a few comments on twitter. Thought it might put a bit of life into this thread.

Nothing concrete, just a few comments on twitter. Thought it might put a bit of life into this thread.

Yeah needs it alright, mancityfans also quiet at the moment, just that horrible time of the year, thank god for the euros!

Next season

Another league title or to win the champions league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Next season

B2B League and good showing in the CL

Id prefer another league title, establish dominance at home and make fergies last couple of years sparse on the trophy front

B2B League and good showing in the CL

I would be happy with that myself

I would like another cup run and victory though. League Cup or FA Cup. Just to instill confidence that we can focus on more than one competition, and in preperation to mounting a challenge for the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Another great day. Watched it in Humphreys, Ranelagh. Jumped out of my seat and spilt my pint when Dickov scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Next season

Both please!!:p

Any word on transfer targets or anything?? Been out at work and damn near no Internet access at all:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Drink driving. not good...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-18294482
    Manchester City footballer Michael Johnson has been arrested on suspicion of drinking and driving after a crash in Greater Manchester.

The midfielder, 24, was held after his Mercedes CLS 350 hit a car at 03:50 BST on Thursday in Urmston.

He collided with a BMW X5 parked in Grangethorpe Road.

Greater Manchester Police said: "A 24-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving." The force said it followed a "minor collision".

Johnson is a product of City's youth academy and made his first team debut in 2006 before going on to represent England under-19s.

He has been dogged by injuries and ruptured a cruciate ligament in training but battled back to full fitness in time for the 2010/11 season.

He started last season on loan at Leicester before returning to City for the
    latter part of the campaign.

fúck sake, had such high hopes for him :(

Threw it away

this goal always sticks out for me

Threw it away

Not quite as simple as that. Two years sitting on your hole following a debilitating pelvic injury and an ACL would be very difficult when all you know is kicking a ball around.

Must be a serious head fuck for the chap.

Most overrated city player of my lifetime Johnson is.

Whats worse is he has another year on his contract left.

He wasnt injured last season he was just ****, leicester sent him back to us and he trained with the kids for a few months and still got his 25k a week. Good thing we are loaded or the abuse he wouldve got wouldve been unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1581115_peek-a-blue-manchester-citys-secret-new-home-kit-revealed-after-it-goes-on-display-in-australian-shop

New City kit on sale in Brisbane wont be available anywhere else for 2 weeks! might be around elsewhere in Oz

didnt think much of it on first viewing when some pics leaked about a month ago and now i actually think its absolutely horrible. dont like the look of the material and too much black with the large collar, the v-neck and the sponsor and the ****ING CREST! good run from umbro in the last 3 efforts though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

with rumours of bobby manc leaving, a couple of people have asked me what id think of Harry taking over now hes apparently left Spurs.

I dont like like Harry, but you have to admire his record with spurs. from looking like potential relegation battlers when he took over to being in the top 5 for 3 seasons in a row.

• Advertisement

I would seriously consider my allegiances if that individual came anywhere near the club.

Harry in his dreams would be nowhere near good enough for where we are and where we are going.

Although i wouldnt quite go as far as what Xavi has said, we have had a lot worse!

'Arry Redknapp:pac:

No:mad:

dont think rm will leave, if by any chance he did, dodgy harry is not a fit replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

'Arry and City shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath,well unless we're reminiscing(sp?) On our 5-1 victory :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

dont think rm will leave, if by any chance he did, dodgy harry is not a fit replacement.

theres plenty of rumours that hes eyeing up the italian national squad, but im hoping he sticks with us. He should, he spent long enough proving me wrong on his style!

if he was to go though, who could you see as a replacement? Redknapp was suggested to me cause hes available and he has achieved some success with spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

folan wrote: »
    theres plenty of rumours that hes eyeing up the italian national squad, but im hoping he sticks with us. He should, he spent long enough proving me wrong on his style!

if he was to go though, who could you see as a replacement? Redknapp was suggested to me cause hes available and he has achieved some success with spurs.

Never will happen, even if Bobby does decide to move on (hope not though). There's too many question marks over his character and the club have made it clear that's not how things are run at City these days.

Home to Southampton on the opening day is a nice one, and we finish with Norwich at the Etihad.

I miss the December Derby by a week but thankfully there's a home game against Reading on December 22 which I can get to when I'm home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Pagege 7 we were on!

Anyway Barcelona sign the young lad Roman from us,was always interested to see how he'd gone with us,anyone seen him play? If anyone else signed him it would probably be brushed under the carpet but interesting thats its Barca

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/7845112/Barcelona-swoop-for-Roman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Ah ****! Never knew he went to Barca, how'd I miss that :/

He was our most promising young talent in my opinion, mostly seen clips of him on the City site but in the 4-5 games I've seen him play he always stood out

Greg Cunningham gone to Bristol City permanently.

And looks who's back for preseason (right)...

428903_10151887635680455_700407090_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Quiet at the moment for city. Good to see the lads back for preseason and a few players who we had forgotten about!

New jerseys are ok too, not bad but small things about each not mad about.

RVP poll on other sites seems to suggest hes not a favorite amongst city fans for us to sign,personally a bit neutral about it, but the wind up effect to the new bitters(arsenal!) would be worth it alone.

Good luck to cunningham at bristol city, always felt he was abit out of his depth at city and should be suited to championship.

Nirs Briton apparently is signed, he was on trial last year and is supposedly a young strong central midfielder.

Silva set to sign a 5 year deal just love the guy, gets on with no fuss,world class player who does his talking on the pitch and is loyal, he is worth his weight in gold.

I don't know where I stand on RVP. I believe he is the best striker in the world atm. However I would think that he is that good because he is Arsenals main player. Everyone just tries to get the ball to him at every oppurtunity. I also believe he relishes that fact. We also couldn't go for him until we off load a striker, and it's a position I don't think we need to strengthen with Mario and Kun.

If we wanted an injury prone dutch master I would prefer Robben. The only positions I think we need to strengthen is a centre half and a natural winger.

POKERKING wrote: »

RVP poll on other sites seems to suggest hes not a favorite amongst city fans for us to sign,personally a bit neutral about it, but the wind up effect to the new bitters(arsenal!) would be worth it alone.

The majority of city fans are quite indifferent to him.

POKERKING wrote: »

You mean the Man City B Team? It woul be nice to see another player getting promoted through our academy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I don't know where I stand on RVP. I believe he is the best striker in the world atm. However I would think that he is that good because he is Arsenals main player. Everyone just tries to get the ball to him at every oppurtunity. I also believe he relishes that fact. We also couldn't go for him until we off load a striker, and it's a position I don't think we need to strengthen with Mario and Kun.

If we wanted an injury prone dutch master I would prefer Robben. The only positions I think we need to strengthen is a centre half and a natural winger.

Given ye're money and the players ye could sign then there is better options then RVP and better strikers IMO.

You touched on it but I'd rate Aguero more then RVP and hes about 5,6 years younger.

gavredking wrote: »
    Given ye're money and the players ye could sign then there is better options then RVP and better strikers IMO.

You touched on it but I'd rate Aguero more then RVP and hes about 5,6 years younger.

I agree. But Kun is an out and out No.9. As is Balotelli. We don't have anyone that can play the No. 10 role, apart from Silva of course. RVP can play both positions and that's what makes him so valuable imo.

Your point about the age is another I forgot about. Given his track record with injuries, would you get more than a year or two out of him? I doubt it.

But anyway, I think it boils down to the way City play, and as good as I think he is, I don't see him strengthening the team in any way. Robben however gives another playmaker and provides width to the attack. He would also open up more freedom for Silvas role in different formations.

Robben? Bit of a selfish one trick pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well last season was his best goals return in his career by some distance and it was his first season without missing a decent amount of games through injury.

I'd have my doubts about him and thats why I wouldnt want him at Chelsea also we're well blessed with play makers with Mata & Hazard and we have Sturridge and Torres to play through the middle, cant see RVP playing wide as hes wasted out there and I wouldnt want him hindering Torres/Sturridge/Lukaku.

I cant see Arsenal selling him to an EPL club though unless City come in with a hugeoffer that blows everything else away.

Robben? Bit of a selfish one trick pony.

Very tempermental and sulky, true, but on his day he is simply brilliant. I think Mancini could work with him, but there would be spats no doubt. I'd be more worried about his injuries though. But if we only got a year and a champions league title out of him I would consider it worth the risk.

gavredking wrote: »
    Well last season was his best goals return in his career by some distance and it was his first season without missing a decent amount of games through injury.

I'd have my doubts about him and thats why I wouldnt want him at Chelsea also we're well blessed with play makers with Mata & Hazard and we have Sturridge and Torres to play through the middle, cant see RVP playing wide as hes wasted out there and I wouldnt want him hindering Torres/Sturridge/Lukaku.

I cant see Arsenal selling him to an EPL club though unless City come in with a hugeoffer that blows everything else away.

Don't forget ye picked up Marin as well. Was quite surprised by that actually as I don't know how ye can get them all in the team. Presuming Merieles or Ramires will be dropped? I think RVP would cause even more problems selection wise.

I think it will be a bit of a domino effect tbh. City sell Tevez, and buy Higuain. Real come in for RVP. I think it is more likely that he will move to Madrid. But Juve, or maybe even Bayern might be dark horses.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement